PDA

View Full Version : long face and long hair

butter52
September 6th, 2015, 08:31 AM
So I have a long face and even if my hair is wurly and thick, now that it got to APL I remembered how short hair suited me and long hair makes my face look super long.

I trimed by bangs and layers a bit and it makes a huge difference. But im wondering if going longer is a good idea.

But I cant even use forks and sticks or make nice braids yet and that is why i want it longer :/

Any other long faces here and opinions on hair lenght and how to suit us?

LemonFizzy
September 6th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Of course, you should style your hair to make yourself happy, but I think we sometimes let others define how we should look and that certain faces 'must' have certain hairstyles.

I have a longer face and let all the 'advice' out there deter me from growing out my hair. Now that it's longer, I've found that all the tips for making updos softer and less harsh also work for me for proportions.

Check out the shorter-length styles list that Arctic put together. I can't use forks and sticks by themselves yet, and I'm ii in thickness. If your hair is thicker, you might not be able to use a fork for awhile. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=120776

Saldana
September 6th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I have a long face, 1a/b hair, plus I am over 50 years of age. I like my hair long, and wear it that way, I'm not here to decorate anyone's world except my own. :) That being said, wearing hair up essentially negates all the 'long hair long face' issues. :)

LemonFizzy
September 6th, 2015, 10:06 AM
That being said, wearing hair up essentially negates all the 'long hair long face' issues. :)

Very true! :cool:

Groovy Granny
September 6th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I am almost 64 with a long face and am just hitting waist.

Now that it is long I can put it up = a shorter look ;)

And I love funky earrings to match my hair toys = focus taken away from my face.

Grow to your hearts content....if you don't like it, then cut it back.

I had to fight all the thoughts in my head along the way that dictated to me what I PERCEIVED were other's opinions about the length for my age....going silver...using unique hair toys.

NOW?.....I could care less what others think.....and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.

DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY :thumbsup:

Arctic
September 6th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Of course, you should style your hair to make yourself happy, but I think we sometimes let others define how we should look and that certain faces 'must' have certain hairstyles.

I have a longer face and let all the 'advice' out there deter me from growing out my hair. Now that it's longer, I've found that all the tips for making updos softer and less harsh also work for me for proportions.

Check out the shorter-length styles list that Arctic put together. I can't use forks and sticks by themselves yet, and I'm ii in thickness. If your hair is thicker, you might not be able to use a fork for awhile. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=120776

Thanks for mentioning my hairstyle project! :flowers:

By the way, I too have long face shape. For some reason I often don't often like the things magazines suggest for me, like bangs and side volume. I know what suit me (and my own aestetic preferences) and go for those styles, regardless what others might think. I think face shape is only one part of the equation which constructs our faces and our unique looks.

I did just trim my face framing layers so, that they will hit me in a flattering spots on my face, the shortest at cheeckbones-ish. I don't know if it has anything to do with face shape per se or alone, but it does seem to flatter my face.

In general the advice for our face is, to draw attention to the middle area of the face and minimize the uppermost (front hairline) and lowest (jaw and chin) points. This can be done with hairstyles/styling, make up, earrings or why not even eyeglasses.

Nique1202
September 6th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Do what makes you happy, and if you're not happy with how it looks now, have a long look in a mirror and be honest with yourself about what you do and don't like, and see how you can change or improve the things you don't like. Just try to filter out all the things that you've been told, and really think about what YOU like for yourself, you know?

People have made up all these weird and arbitrary rules about what's supposed to look "good" on face shapes, except all those rules basically try to fake having a heart face shape when that's not everyone's ideal in the first place. Sometimes people can be so rude about "you'd look so much better with (whatever)" when your style is your own choice, even (maybe especially) when they're your friends and family and they think they're doing it "for your own good". If they can't say something nice, and if it can't be fixed in a bathroom in 30 seconds, then they shouldn't say anything at all and you should tell them so.

Johannah
September 6th, 2015, 10:52 AM
What about face framing layers (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c0/da/38/c0da38d88752e9580afbbe6e572d8fba.jpg)? This way there's still something around your face like with short hair, but you still can grow it long :)

mindwiped
September 6th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I am almost 64 with a long face and am just hitting waist.

Now that it is long I can put it up = a shorter look ;)

And I love funky earrings to match my hair toys = focus taken away from my face.

Grow to your hearts content....if you don't like it, then cut it back.

I had to fight all the thoughts in my head along the way that dictated to me what I PERCEIVED were other's opinions about the length for my age....going silver...using unique hair toys.

NOW?.....I could care less what others think.....and I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.

DO WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY :thumbsup:

I think this is some of the best advice period! If you're not happy with yourself, it shows. Likewise, if you are happy, it shows.

Upside Down
September 6th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Well, bangs and face framing layers are going to shorten the face, so I think you don't have to worry about it.

I have a long face - at least I think, I was never good at putting myself into categories, and I prefer longer hair on me, even without bangs. :shrug:

LemonFizzy
September 6th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Of course! You've put a lot of work into those lists and they are very helpful for generating ideas!

Nuala
September 6th, 2015, 01:19 PM
I've got a long face, and I have had all kinds of hairstyles, both long and short. When I had long hair I was told that I should cut my hair because long hair doesn't suit a long face and I've listened, and now I regret it. It's none of their business how I wear my hair. I can't help it that I don't have a rounded face and in the end my face will always remain long whatever hairstyle I have. So now I've decided that I'm only going to do whatever I like, and whoever doesn't like it can look the other way. I completely agree with Groovy Granny: do what makes you happy!

Groovy Granny
September 6th, 2015, 01:25 PM

I hadn't seen that; wow...impressive :thumbsup: and your hair is so shiny!!

I think this is some of the best advice period! If you're not happy with yourself, it shows. Likewise, if you are happy, it shows.

:flowers:

butter52
September 6th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Thank so much for the answers, and specially for Artics project. I need to practice lots see if I can make some of those styles. They are beautiful!

About the doing what makes me happy, that goes without saying. Ive delt with lots of morons that thought it nice to tell me long hair was better on me once I went short. But I rocked short and I believe it suits me very well. After 4 years I got a bit bored with the lack of variety and that is the reason Im going long again. But when I look at myself in the mirror I see bleh and I see looong face. But I still want to be able to wear pretty toys and braids.

I think the cheekbone layers and face framing layers are the clue for me, as well as side swept bangs. Im starting to accept I will never have neat braids because layers make me prettier ( and Im vain and I want to look prettier).

I will try to go longer, if I see i dont like how I look and the tricks stop working, I will come back to APL.

Caraid♫
September 6th, 2015, 02:40 PM
My opinion is that having a long face isn't a flaw that needs to be camouflaged or de-emphasized! If you have a long face, then so be it! (I only say this as a fellow long-faced person ;) )
But if it does bother you, as you've said above, it's important to wear it the way you are happy with and feel is most flattering which might be keeping face-framing layers. It just might be more difficult to grow to extremely long lengths with lots of layers so I guess its just a trade-off!

SwordWomanRiona
September 6th, 2015, 06:14 PM
I'm square-faced, but I wanted to pop in to mention that in my opinion long face+long hair=so beautiful. Just ask any Tolkien elf (many of whom are portrayed as long-faced), or Warhammer High Elves (http://40.media.tumblr.com/a1d926f36c992d12de048208b549cb30/tumblr_ndfjqky0KN1sz7asho3_500.jpg) :) Thranduil (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150328042107/divergente/es/images/f/f6/Thranduil_-3.jpg)'s fabulousness with his oblong face and long hair speaks for itself, I think :D

And I agree about doing what makes you happy :) Short or long, layered or not, it's what makes you feel good that's important :) I resent society's idiotic rules about how you should hide your face shape in order to make it look 'better' (apparently that means 'more oval') so much. Oblong faces, same as square faces, are not something that should be camouflaged or changed. I think they're really beautiful in their own right, no need to hide them, and no need to have special hair or make-up for them :/ I was made to feel bad about my square face in the past, with all the drill about the 'perfect oval shape' and the need to hide the wideness and angled look of a square face. But now I love it, it's mine and I think the angles are really beautiful. Standard 'beauty canons' are really stupid and make people feel bad about so many unnecessary things, imo...

KellieKay
September 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Just do what makes you happiest. It is your hair and your life.

quirkybookworm
September 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM
I have long hair, and a long face. I was always told that short hair suits my face better, but I like my hair long. I like doing braids, and buns, and all the fun things long hair allows me to do. Buns, and braids, or basically any hairstyle where your hair is pulled back will eliminate the problem if you're ever feeling insecure about it. Besides, eventually your hair will get long enough to completely distract from your face shape - problem solved! :p

On a serious note, you enjoying your hair, and having fun with it, will be so much better than one or two people complimenting a haircut that you dislike. If that person can't just be happy that you're happy, you don't need their input, anyway. Someone will always have a problem with how we look, or dress, or act - you just have to remember that that is their problem, not yours! :flower:

Kendrix
September 6th, 2015, 08:28 PM
I have a long face and long hair. I was told I look better with short hair for the same reasons. But honestly? A long face can be exotic looking. Why not rock it? I love my BSL hair and I think that it flatters my face fine. I bet it's fine for you too.

Jo Ann
September 6th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Long face, long hair here, too! You can't change your facial shape or length, so rock whatever makes you happy! Besides, I find longer hair gives one much more versatility... ;)

DMARTINEZ
September 6th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Hello,
I have hip length hair and a long thin face! I even grew out my bangs that i had for yrs! It just takes some getting used to. Dont pay attention to what others say! Just do what makes you feel happy!

syndel
September 7th, 2015, 01:07 AM
I consider myself to have a long face, if anything I think my long hair suits me much better than short hair ever did. That said though, I do have some shorter parts that frame my face, but I still keep them long enough to fit into all my updos.