PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar ACV rinses

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Hi All,

Do you routinely do ACV or white vinegar rinses? How often do you do them? How do you determine when its time to do a rinse? What is your hair like before and after you do them? What is the proportion of the solution you use? Do you use it after shampoo and before conditioner or after conditioner?

TIA for sharing
Dolly:blossom:

embee
September 5th, 2015, 04:02 PM
I have not used vinegar rinse for many years. When I did I was living in a place with extremely soft water which *would not* rinse the shampoo out no matter how long I stood there under the shower. My dermatologist suggested diluted vinegar to cut that soapiness. It worked wonderfully.

Many years later I used that again when I was washing cloth baby diapers. The pediatrician suggested it to cut any residual soap. Worked well there too.

So if you have very soft water, a dilute vinegar rinse is something to sericously consider. :)

enting
September 5th, 2015, 04:31 PM
I do a vinegar rinse every single time I wash my hair. I use it instead of conditioner, after shampooing. The dilution I use is something like 1/4 vinegar and 3/4 water, though I don't measure it, I just eyeball how much I'm putting into the bottle I keep in the shower. The water where I am is pretty hard, and I find that vinegar makes my hair more comb-able than conditioner manages to do; somehow conditioner seems to dry my hair out, where the vinegar doesn't.

vpatt
September 5th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I started with ACV and now use white vinegar (for silver hair). I put a big splash of vinegar in a large plastic drinking "glass" and then fill it to the top with cold water. Cold to close the hair cuticle. I use the vinegar rinse when I use bar soap or Dr. Bronner's liquid soap. Because I read that it brings the ph back to normal after using soap. I do occasionally use commercial shampoo and conditioner and then I rinse with plain cold water. My hair is not very tangly doing this.

Laughter
September 5th, 2015, 07:35 PM
I just started doing ACV rinses a couple weeks ago. :)

I LOVE what ACV does to my hair. I've mentioned in other places around the boards that I've been having thyroid issues which has caused shedding. The ACV rinses seem to have slowed that down a little, thank the Lord. That's actually how I came across it - I was looking for natural ways to help with shedding, and found this article: Make Your Own Natural Vinegar Hair Rinse (http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/idascorner/shampoo-hair/make-your-own-natural-vinegar-hair-rinse).

I don't know if it will be the ultimate answer to my shedding problem, but even if it's not, it's really helped my hair over all. I'm not sure if it was related to the thyroid issues, but about a month ago, my hair suddenly became very limp, yet oddly frizzy at the same time, and it was adding to my frustration with the shedding because not only is it thinner now, but it really looked lifeless. The AVC rinse changed that. It brought back all my bounce and curl, and made it soft and shiny. My mom saw such a difference in my hair that she wound up trying an ACV rinse on her hair as well and loved it just as much.

I now plan to do an ACV rinse every time I wash my hair, so that will be about once a week. For me, I notice a difference in my hair the instant the ACV hits it. The strands immediately feel soft and smooth. I've seen quite a few of different recipes for ACV rinses, but I use a 1/4 cup of ACV in about 16oz of cool water. (I use an empty shampoo bottle, which I really like since I can squirt the rinse onto my scalp and hair easily.) I do the rinse after I shampoo and condition. I leave the ACV in my hair for maybe three or four minutes, then rinse it out well.

The only draw back is the smell, which is quite strong during the rinse, but for me, it's completely worth it. And, thankfully, most of the AVC scent evaporates as the hair dries. :)

DaniJoy
September 5th, 2015, 07:39 PM
I have done an ACV rinse with tea and rosemary. It makes my hair feel "clean" but since I'm not consistent about doing it couldn't say a big difference has happened with my hair.

ravenreed
September 5th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Where I live we have extremely hard water. After almost every cleansing, I use an ACV rinse. I have a very large plastic cup that I splash a tablespoon or so of vinegar in, fill it with water, and when I am all done with washing my hair, I pour it through and rinse. I used to have such an itchy, flaky scalp. The ACV really helped me out.

shakenmilk
September 5th, 2015, 10:05 PM
I have a squeezy waterbottle that I use for ACV rinses after every wash. I just eyeball the amounts and add a few drops of jojoba, tea tree, and/or other oils and shake the whole thing before shaking/dripping it through my hair. I think it does help my hair feel less straw-like and my scalp less itchy.

roseomalley
September 5th, 2015, 10:06 PM
I do a white vinegar rinse everytime I shampoo. My hair is grey, so I do not use ACV, which may yellow my silvers. I just put a small splash of white vinegar into a tall glass and add water. I pour it over my hair after i am done rinsing under the shower.

syndel
September 6th, 2015, 01:44 AM
I do an ACV rinse every time I wash my hair (so, once a week or less). I just make up a solution in advance and keep it in a water bottle in the shower, I don't use specific measurements but I'd say it's probably about 150ml vinegar to 600ml water, going by my 750ml water bottle lol. I'll splash some essential oils in there too if I'm feeling fancy. Since I use shampoo bars I'll use the rinse after washing the shampoo out, then I'll usually do my deep conditioner after that if I am going to use a conditioner - vinegar rinses pretty much replace the need for conditioner so I don't always feel the need to use one.

Hurven
September 6th, 2015, 05:41 AM
I do them when my scalp is feeling itchy, which is about once every two weeks. It also really defines my wave pattern, but it also makes my hair look greasy faster than usual. So I don't want to do ACV rinses too often.

dogzdinner
September 6th, 2015, 05:54 AM
I tried it once coz I live in a very hard water area (just maybe an eggcup full in a bucket of water). My hair shed by the handful and my scalp felt so itchy and sore I had to rinse several times with plain water to get rid of the effect!
Apparently whilst I like vinegar on my chips, I dont like it on my head!

Zebra Fish
September 6th, 2015, 06:25 AM
I use ACV rinse after henna. When I tried after every wash, my scalp didn't really like it. Every now and then is ok, so usually is after hennaing, rarely more often.

Hairkay
September 6th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Once a month or so.

DollyDagger
September 6th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Thanx to everyone who has replied so far! Generally most have had positive results. Im pretty sure our water is quite hard in my city so Ill probably go ahead and incorporate some vinegar rinses. Im glad you all mentioned the acv in regards to white hair! Ill be sure to use white vinegar! Ive done rinses in the past but with straight vinegar because i didnt know better...lol :) now I know you only need a little bit in some water. Thanx All :)

gthlvrmx
September 6th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Straight vinegar is not what you want! You're supposed to mix it with water. 1 tblspn of vinegar mixed with 1 cup of water is a good start, you can even use a less vinegar if you want.

DollyDagger
September 6th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Straight vinegar is not what you want! You're supposed to mix it with water. 1 tblspn of vinegar mixed with 1 cup of water is a good start, you can even use a less vinegar if you want.

LOL I know...it burns your eyes like crazy too when your rinsing..eheh

Ill start with very conservative amount and work from there (this time )

school of fish
September 7th, 2015, 08:29 AM
YES!!! I started about 3 weeks ago using an extremely diluted acv rinse every day and I can honestly say it's the first and only holy grail practice I've discovered thus far for me!

In the past when I've tried vinegar or lemon rinses I think I was attempting with dilutions too strong for my hair - I always got crunchies so abandonned it and shied away from trying again. Recently I was researching on LHC about reducing piecey-ness and stumbled upon the acid rinse suggestion and decided to gove it another go. My ratio is so diluted, it doesn't burn if it gets in my eyes! About 1/16th acv to cold water (1/2oz acv, 8oz water). It's been miraculous for me - combability out of the shower is a breeze, detangling through the day is SO much easier, and any pieceness I get now looks like I've styled it that way - 'beachy' effect rather than 'needs washing' effect ;)

This routine is a keeper for me!!! I've gotten so used to experiments producing middling results or incremental improvements that I was so chuffed to find something that provided a dramatic great result :D

DollyDagger
September 7th, 2015, 08:35 AM
YES!!! I started about 3 weeks ago using an extremely diluted acv rinse every day and I can honestly say it's the first and only holy grail practice I've discovered thus far for me!

In the past when I've tried vinegar or lemon rinses I think I was attempting with dilutions too strong for my hair - I always got crunchies so abandonned it and shied away from trying again. Recently I was researching on LHC about reducing piecey-ness and stumbled upon the acid rinse suggestion and decided to gove it another go. My ratio is so diluted, it doesn't burn if it gets in my eyes! About 1/16th acv to cold water (1/2oz acv, 8oz water). It's been miraculous for me - combability out of the shower is a breeze, detangling through the day is SO much easier, and any pieceness I get now looks like I've styled it that way - 'beachy' effect rather than 'needs washing' effect ;)

This routine is a keeper for me!!! I've gotten so used to experiments producing middling results or incremental improvements that I was so chuffed to find something that provided a dramatic great result :D

OH nice! Im glad to hear it's working so well for you! I did one yesterday. Nothing noticable yet but I will do again next wash.
It sure is nice when something makes a discernable change for the better!!

school of fish
September 7th, 2015, 08:55 AM
OH nice! Im glad to hear it's working so well for you! I did one yesterday. Nothing noticable yet but I will do again next wash.
It sure is nice when something makes a discernable change for the better!!

I know, right? Went in thinking 'what the hell, may as well give it a go' and came out hearing angels singing, haha!! I never would have thought such a tiny amount would make such a difference but apparently for me it does!

Kind of makes up for my oil disasters... ;)

DollyDagger
September 7th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I know, right? Went in thinking 'what the hell, may as well give it a go' and came out hearing angels singing, haha!! I never would have thought such a tiny amount would make such a difference but apparently for me it does!

Kind of makes up for my oil disasters... ;)

Lol...shhh dont let your hair hear you say oil..or there will be ANARCHY! :)

school of fish
September 7th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Lol...shhh dont let your hair hear you say oil..or there will be ANARCHY! :)

S'okay - my hair was still wet from my vinegar rinse when I said the 'O word' so I think I'm safe... hahahaha!!!

DollyDagger
September 7th, 2015, 12:09 PM
S'okay - my hair was still wet from my vinegar rinse when I said the 'O word' so I think I'm safe... hahahaha!!!

Hehe...alright..we'll let it slide this time then :)

nikegirl
September 7th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I do! I use diluted ACV (in water of course) every other day in place of conditioner. I used to put drops of rosemary oil in it as well but it left my hair feeling a tad bit oily for my taste (although it did leave my hair smelling lovely and refreshed) so now it's just straight ACV diluted in water. Love it so much and the smell goes away quickly!

enting
September 8th, 2015, 04:06 AM
I like to add a bit of cedarwood oil, grapefruit oil, and vanilla oil to my diluted vinegar. Cedar is supposed to be good for the hair and scalp, grapefruit is supposed to help balance oily secretions, and vanilla just smells good :) (and it's supposed to help clean the skin too).

school of fish
September 8th, 2015, 05:40 AM
I do! I use diluted ACV (in water of course) every other day in place of conditioner. I used to put drops of rosemary oil in it as well but it left my hair feeling a tad bit oily for my taste (although it did leave my hair smelling lovely and refreshed) so now it's just straight ACV diluted in water. Love it so much and the smell goes away quickly!

I add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to mine for the same reason, to make it smell lovely - and also because I have a litre of rosemary EO that I'm never going to get through any other way ;) For me it works perfectly to cover any trace of the acv scent, plus the smell of the rosemary blends beautifully with my shampoo/conditioner.

I agree with you, it's not really necessary since the vinegar smell does seem to dissipate completely when the hair is dry, but like I said, I have a litre of it, hahaha!

lapushka
September 8th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Vinegar rinses are usually only necessary to bring down the pH level after an alkaline "treatment", like washing the hair with soap. Some people use it because it leaves the hair soft, or for scalp treatments (itchy scalp). I tried it once, didn't like it much and it didn't do anything at all for my hair, so it's just another unnecessary step in my book.

sarahthegemini
September 8th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I started acv rinses when I first joined but I stopped because all it did was make my hair stupidly fluffy
My waves weren't very defined either but my hair wasn't in great condition at that point. Maybe I should try again!

spidermom
September 8th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Contrary to what embee was saying, back home we have soft water, rinsing was never-ever a problem, and all vinegar did there was give me a big cloud of crazy fly-away hair.

However, I am now at my recently deceased father's house in the midwest, and the water here is very hard. I noticed that it was giving my hair a rough feel, and the tangling was terrible. I asked for help here, and vinegar rinses were recommended. WOW! What a difference. My hair now feels smooth and silky again, and tangling is minor. I use a splash in a 1-quart container every time I wash my hair (every 3-5 days).

school of fish
September 8th, 2015, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking that may be why I'm finding such success with the rinses myself - I've always lived in cities with hard water. Whatever the reason, I'll keep with the rinses so long as they keep working :)

So sorry for your loss spidermom, my condolences to you.

DollyDagger
September 8th, 2015, 04:58 PM
lapushka enting nikegirl spidermom thnx for sharing your experiencing with acv

spidermom..my condolences as well.

sarahthegemini- try again...be sure you dont use too much :) !

heres more stuff about it here..it can remove calcium and mineral deposits but you need to be careful especially if hair is porous..(my hair is quite porous at the ends especially)
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/search?q=vinegar

the amounts are needed is very little!!

yahirwaO.o
September 8th, 2015, 09:44 PM
I did my every two weeks one as always, let it air dry and its feels super soft and great but its humid and it looks a bit flyway! But I really like ACV to remove gunk (I've been more hairspray lately) and it always looks great afterwards!!!

DollyDagger
September 8th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Nice..is your hair low(er) porosity..? apparently lower porosity hair can handle the ph better than higher. Thats good its working for you well .:)

gossamer
September 10th, 2015, 07:03 AM
Hi All,

Do you routinely do ACV or white vinegar rinses? How often do you do them? How do you determine when its time to do a rinse? What is your hair like before and after you do them? What is the proportion of the solution you use? Do you use it after shampoo and before conditioner or after conditioner?

TIA for sharing
Dolly:blossom:

Yes, I do one every time I wash, which is usually once a week. I find that doing a slightly acidic rinse, whether tea or diluted vinegar, helps me stretch my washes.

I can definitely tell a difference between my hair before and after the rinse while I'm washing it. Before, it feels a little more likely to tangle, like it's sticking to itself. After, my hair is smoother and easier to run my fingers through.

I use white vinegar because I've never noticed a difference when using ACV and WV is cheaper anyway.

I use it as my second to last rinse. I have a bowl that holds 6 cups of water and pour maybe 2-3 tbsp of vinegar into it. It's quite diluted. After that, I rinse my hair again just with shower water and I'm done.

I don't know the porosity of my hair however, sorry.

Hairkay
September 10th, 2015, 07:47 AM
I do a mild vinegar rinse once a month. I use either AVC or white vinegar.

DollyDagger
September 10th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Thnx :)for chiming in Gossamer:flower: and Hairkay :flower:

LauraAlaina
September 10th, 2015, 04:04 PM
Did my first ACV rinse today and WOW my hair feels amazing but it looks SO MUCH LIGHTER! I do have some old platinum color from chin down that I have previously colored over (about a year old) and it seems to have lifted all the color out! I'm not upset I'm just surprised haha. but my hair does feel amazing now!

holothuroidea
September 10th, 2015, 05:19 PM
I use a 25% dilution of white vinegar when I clarify my hair, about once a month. First I wash with a dime-sized amount of mild, additive free dish detergent (like seventh generation) diluted in a cup of water. Then I do the vinegar rinse and follow that with a rinse-out conditioner.

It's like a hair reset. It always comes out soft and bouncy and fresh. It's a nice once a month treat, but I wouldn't use it all the time. If I used products other than shampoo and conditioner in my hair I'd probably do it more frequently, though.

DollyDagger
September 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM
good stuff LauraAlaina !

holothuroideaThats a great way of looking at it...hair reset. :) ! I like it!!