PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Hair Texture throughout Life

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Hey Everyone,

How many if any changes in hair texture/quality have you gone through in your life so far?

My hair was straighter when I was younger and has gotten much curlier through the years

My hair was really awesome when I was pregnant. The strands seemed thicker and were much more elastic and manageable.

Im letting my gray hair and virgin hair come in now and as I approach the (peri)-menopause years :p (lol-tmi?) Im curious to see what hair changes will occur.

Has your hair gone through distinct changes in appearance/texture/quality and when did it occur?

T.I.A
DD:blossom:

lapushka
September 5th, 2015, 09:58 AM
My hair went through a big transition once, from the 1st year of middle school to the second, from a 1b/c ish texture to the full on wavy mess that I still have now. :lol: I also remember it fell out in clumps and needed a year to get back on its feet.

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 10:02 AM
My hair went through a big transition once, from the 1st year of middle school to the second, from a 1b/c ish texture to the full on wavy mess that I still have now. :lol:

Oh I see that makes sense yours happened around puberty-hormonal changes I guess.
Isnt it funny"? I used to be able to quickly blast my hair with a blow dryer and have relatively smooth straight hair. Funnier still, is back then I wanted curlier hair and got a perm! Then I grew up and had curlier hair and straightened the living daylights out of it..hehe..Goes to show the grass is always greener on the other side. :)

Arctic
September 5th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Many have read my hair story probably one time too many already, but....

I used to have fine, silky, soft, straigth (about 1b) hair untill approx. 30 years old. Then my hair changed quite a bit. I got waves and the individual strands got thicker and also wirier.

At best my hair was classified, if I remember correctly, 2b-2c. Lately it's been a bit straighter again, I'd say 1c-2a. The waves are not even all over, but more pronounced on the underside while the canopy is straighter.

My texture is not homogeneous either, but I have everything from fine to medium to coarse, and any of these can be either smooth or wiry.

My thickness has never been huge, for most of my life I (and others) have considered it to be thin. At best during my LHC years it climbed upwards to 8-ish centimeters, I guess mostly because of individual strands were thicker than they used to be, and the waves poofed the hair. Currently it's on the thinner side of ii again.

The waves seeming appeared almost overnight, I still can't understand it. I remember the day clearly: I was on a bike ride with my then-fiance (now ex), it was a nice summer day and I wore my hair in double french braids. When we got home and I checked my hair from the back (old habit of mine from times long before LHC), I saw the hair that was at the back of my head against my scalp (so from the both sides of the center part to the french braids) was strongly s-wavy. The changed texture probably creeped in more slowly, but I mistook it to the thickening effects of henna for a while. It was only after I grew out henna when I really and fully realized it wasn't henna at all, just my natural strands.

My colour hasn't changed that much I think. It was light brown as a child (never blonde), and it darkened a bit to what I consider medium brown at some point (puberty?). I felt it was very ashy too (which back then was = ugly to me - not anymore) and dyed it for 2 decades. These days in some light I can see some little reddish, warmer hues in there too, so it might have slightly changed again. Along with snow white sparklies, which have started to appear some years ago.

school of fish
September 5th, 2015, 10:27 AM
It's happening to me now! My life-long 1a/1b hair seems to be growing in as 2a/2b in all the underlayers short of the canopy. The new growth is about 6" long, coinciding with the birth of my 2nd baby last year, so I'm calling hormones ;) I'm also in my early 40s so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some perimenopausal hormones coming out to play with the pregnancy/post-partum hormones.

Since the canopy remains 1a and since I have substantially more straight length proportionate to the new texture, the whole thing still reads as very straight - but in 10 years' time if this new texture continues to make itself heard I may find that I've turned from a straighty to a wavy... time will tell!

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Many have read my hair story probably one time too many already, but....

I used to have fine, silky, soft, straigth (about 1b) hair untill approx. 30 years old. Then my hair changed quite a bit. I got waves and the individual strands got thicker and also wirier.

At best my hair was classified, if I remember correctly, 2b-2c. Lately it's been a bit straighter again, I'd say 1c-2a. The waves are not even all over, but more pronounced on the underside while the canopy is straighter.

My texture is not homogeneous either, but I have everything from fine to medium to coarse, and any of these can be either smooth or wiry.

My thickness has never been huge, for most of my life I (and others) have considered it to be thin. At best during my LHC years it climbed upwards to 8-ish centimeters, I guess mostly because of individual strands were thicker than they used to be, and the waves poofed the hair. Currently it's on the thinner side of ii again.

The waves seeming appeared almost overnight, I still can't understand it. I remember the day clearly: I was on a bike ride with my then-fiance (now ex), it was a nice summer day and I wore my hair in double french braids. When we got home and I checked my hair from the back (old habit of mine from times long before LHC), I saw the hair that was at the back of my head against my scalp (so from the both sides of the center part to the french braids) was strongly s-wavy. The changed texture probably creeped in more slowly, but I mistook it to the thickening effects of henna for a while. It was only after I grew out henna when I really and fully realized it wasn't henna at all, just my natural strands.

My colour hasn't changed that much I think. It was light brown as a child (never blonde), and it darkened a bit to what I consider medium brown at some point (puberty?). I felt it was very ashy too (which back then was = ugly to me - not anymore) and dyed it for 2 decades. These days in some light I can see some little reddish, warmer hues in there too, so it might have slightly changed again. Along with snow white sparklies, which have started to appear some years ago.

^Arctic..no worries there's always newbies who havent read your hair story and are glad to do so..like me :) thanx for sharing.
Isnt it amazing though how quickly it changed just out of the blue! I guess it could be attributed to hormones of some sort..who knows!?
Or maybe you were just so giddy with the impending marriage it made your hair curl :)

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 10:36 AM
It's happening to me now! My life-long 1a/1b hair seems to be growing in as 2a/2b in all the underlayers short of the canopy. The new growth is about 6" long, coinciding with the birth of my 2nd baby last year, so I'm calling hormones ;) I'm also in my early 40s so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some perimenopausal hormones coming out to play with the pregnancy/post-partum hormones.

Since the canopy remains 1a and since I have substantially more straight length proportionate to the new texture, the whole thing still reads as very straight - but in 10 years' time if this new texture continues to make itself heard I may find that I've turned from a straighty to a wavy... time will tell!

Geeze..isnt it insane us women battle some kind of hormonal flux like all our lives..! You definitely may get wavier yet! :) or who knows when your grays start coming in it may revert back to straight. Theres no ryhmme or reason to it all ! lol

Arctic
September 5th, 2015, 10:41 AM
^Arctic..no worries there's always newbies who havent read your hair story and are glad to do so..like me :) thanx for sharing.
Isnt it amazing though how quickly it changed just out of the blue! I guess it could be attributed to hormones of some sort..who knows!?
Or maybe you were just so giddy with the impending marriage it made your hair curl :)

:spitting: ha ha ha!!! I laughed outloud to the bolded, thanks for the laughs! :face: Maybe you are on to something, we had just recently moved in together then :D :rolling:

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
:spitting: ha ha ha!!! I laughed outloud to the bolded, thanks for the laughs! :face: Maybe you are on to something, we had just recently moved in together then :D :rolling:

Im intuitive...you were crazy in love! and your hair just went bezerker! ehehhe Im glad I made you laugh!

parkmikii
September 5th, 2015, 12:01 PM
When I was little my head was full of ringlets, then at about 5 years old it was pretty much straight and when I've hit puberty it became a frizzy mess. Now its pretty much just wavy with some curls :)

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 12:02 PM
When I was little my head was full of ringlets, then at about 5 years old it was pretty much straight and when I've hit puberty it became a frizzy mess. Now its pretty much just wavy with some curls :)
Dr Jekyl Mr Hyde hair :)

parkmikii
September 5th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Dr Jekyl Mr Hyde hair :)

Pretty much that :)

enting
September 5th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I have pictures of myself when I was very small with very straight hair. Somewhere around ten years old I realized that my hair was curly in some pictures. Of course, I never noticed it on my own head or in the mirror, I needed pictures to give me objectivity. I just thought I was getting frizzier. My hair also used to be thick and fine. Hairdressers used to comment on it and tell me that I absolutely must get it thinned (it only took me a few years to learn how badly that made my hair poof later on). It's still decently thick, but I have more medium hairs and the occasional coarse hair now and probably fewer individual hairs. I've also struggled with hair pulling, and the hair that grows back is often coarser, wirier, and curlier than the other hairs on my head. There are also a few white hairs beginning to grow in, but I'm not certain if they are a different texture. Possibly slightly more substantial or wirey, but not really noticeably so.

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM
^thnx for sharing enting...so many have different strands thicknesses. Maybe its a good thing as theyre most like more resilient? Mine seem to be mostly the same ie fine-ish
I'm not certain yet of my white hair texture although Im hoping they dont come in all straight and wirey ..then they'll REALLY stand out against my fine curly strands..lol

Hairkay
September 6th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I've had one change. It was straight as a baby (excluding the one curl I had) then it curled and the curls got tighter as I grew.

Johannah
September 6th, 2015, 08:01 AM
My hair changed from 1b to 2a one year ago, when I started to use protein on a regular basis :)

chen bao jun
September 6th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I've had one change. It was straight as a baby (excluding the one curl I had) then it curled and the curls got tighter as I grew.

Mine has never really changed. I had corkscrew curls as a baby and I still do. . However, I went through a tremendously long period, about 50 years, when I thought I had completely different hair because when I was about three my mother started combing and even brushing my hair and that is death on curls. So I got frizz. And my mother thought the frizz was 'kinks' and started hot combing my hair. When I got fifty-four or so and someone told me about leave in conditioner and I tried it on my natural hair, I was so shocked to see I still had the exact same ringlets from baby photos.

Hormones at different periods of my life so far have not affected my hair one whit.

Many members of my dad's family had hair that got straighter as they got older, so far hasn't happened to me and I hope not. AFter 50 years, I want to keep enjoying the curls.

I should put up a siggy where you can see them. I chose one with 'end of the week' hair, because with the curls stretched out, I look as if I actually have some length--after 3 years on LHC. when my hair is at its most curly and attractive (jsut washed) it just doesn't look very long at all.

BoopBoop1
September 6th, 2015, 10:57 AM
When I was a baby my hair was kind of red, then it got darker (light brown) and now it's darker than that.
Also before it was reaaaally straight (1a) and know it's wavy (2a, kind of). My brother had red curly hair when he was a baby and now it's black and straight/wavy.

So weird, does someone know why does that happens?

DollyDagger
September 6th, 2015, 11:02 AM
When I was a baby my hair was kind of red, then it got darker (light brown) and now it's darker than that.
Also before it was reaaaally straight (1a) and know it's wavy (2a, kind of). My brother had red curly hair when he was a baby and now it's black and straight/wavy.

So weird, does someone know why does that happens?
Like everything else probably hormones are involved..lol

BoopBoop1
September 6th, 2015, 11:21 AM
I miss that red hair T-T *cries*

school of fish
September 7th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Geeze..isnt it insane us women battle some kind of hormonal flux like all our lives..! You definitely may get wavier yet! :) or who knows when your grays start coming in it may revert back to straight. Theres no ryhmme or reason to it all ! lol

Hormones are nature's reminder to us that we don't call the shots, haha!

My greys started coming in high school for me, and although they made a clear appearance they've been rather slow to take over - about 25 years later I'd guess I'm maybe 20-25% grey (under all the henna). The greys on the canopy remain straight, the greys in the underlayer are newly wavy just like the rest of it.

Whatever change is happening I'm enjoying it - I may as well, since nature wins this one, hahaha!!!

DollyDagger
September 7th, 2015, 08:21 AM
They sure are! Just when you think you've got stuff figured out a new wave of them come rolling in..lol

syndel
September 7th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I had absolute bo-peep ringlets as a child, and it slowly turned into s-waves as I got older.

Unnamed
September 7th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Yep, I've had a couple. Was born with loose curls, but once my hair was cut...no more curls, just straight. May or may not have been 1a--or might depend on the climate/water, as it was a solid 1a 'here', but I *have* periodically seen some 2a-ish waves in more humid climates with softer water. Then, around when I started thyroid medication (let's say early 2009/age 27)...new stuff! Long loose curls/wurls, but 99% of the time all I see is fuzzy hair that tries to matt up. :lol: It's somewhere in the 2s (2c/3a by verbal typing, but the wurls are extra narrow/long, which...gah). I'm hoping once the new type reaches the ends it'll clarify things a bit, but I still have another 2-3 years for that, assuming my hair stays stalled out at just below knee (when straight...last I checked, wurly, it's between classic and mid-thigh).

Strangely, the old supposedly 1a hair can/will wurl with extra handling. See current siggy (from 2011)--only the first 15" of hair was the new stuff, yet it tried to keep on going!? So maybe there was an underlying type that was always there (I live in a dry climate, and hair-typing might have just exacerbated that--I had used some gel for that sig pic, so it might have kept the air from sucking all the moisture out of my hair). The newer hair *definitely* has a stronger pattern to it, though, and I can feel the difference along a hair from the 'old' type to the 'new'.

I've also had hair-colour changes. Light ash blonde to dark ash blonde to near black and back to dark ash blonde (by age 14). All in the ashier tones, except on the way from the near black to med ash brown it went med reddish brown for a few months. Oh, and now I have a lot of blonder streaks. My hair was thicker when it was darker/brown/near black, but it's always been super fine.

I do have a decent number of silvers, but they're randomly placed (no streaks), and so far don't appear to be a different texture or fineness from the rest of my hair. They're just silver sparkly instead of gold sparkly, and blend in pretty good.

Nadine <3
September 7th, 2015, 11:05 AM
My hair hasn't changed much at all. I was born with a head full of fuzzy black peach fuzz, but that fell out and grew back in so blonde it was almost white. I had super fine hair as a kid, and I still have super fine hair. The only thing that changed was the color. When I was little I was very very light blonde, but as i got older it settled into a nice blonnette color. I have some nice redish, copper tones in there too. Actually now that I think about it, my hair is the same color and texture of my dads. Bonnette, very fine, and just wavy enough to be annoying if you cut it short :)

Klaudia
September 7th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I had only one big change, during puberty. When I was a child, my hair was 1b. Now it's 2c or 3a. :)