PDA

View Full Version : Common Hair Lengths Where you Live

DollyDagger
September 4th, 2015, 11:25 PM
If you take a look around during your everyday day life and had to hazard a guess which hair length would you say is most common amongst the following age groups-

AGES

15-20

20-30

30-40

40-50

50-60

60-70

70-80

or if you wish to generally describe if longer hair lengths are somewhat common, very common, or whichever applies where you live.

:)

TIA
DD

Estrid
September 5th, 2015, 12:13 AM
Hmm, a bit hard, but I'll try to answer (and I'll limit this to only women, since the majority of all men got short hair in all ages)

15-20: what I mostly see would be all from armpit to waist

20-30: not sure about this age group because I am not very good at seeing age, but I think most have between shoulder and bsl here.

30-40: shoulder to collarbone length

40-50: same as 30-40

50-60: shoulder length

60-70: short (ear length/pixie/whatever it is called)

70-80: short (same as 60-70)

Sparklecake
September 5th, 2015, 01:13 AM
where I live its:
15-20: between armpit and hip
20-30: mostly bra strap
30-40: between pixie and bra strap, lots of shoulder length bobs
40:50: pixie or above shoulder
60-70: only two types I've seen here... the pixie or the likely hip length but always hidden in a bun type
70-80: I've only seen women this age with what i assume is very long, but somewhat thinning hair, always worn in a bun
I live in a small town in Australia

dogzdinner
September 5th, 2015, 03:35 AM
I live in the UK and generally youngsters have long hair (BSL to classic) and oldsters have shorter (BSL and above).
Its really hard to tell with the middle group though...lots of sock buns and those poofy, back combed buns that are mainly just air! I think most are BSL to midback-ish.

Johannah
September 5th, 2015, 04:16 AM
15-20: BSL

30-40: APL

40-50: APL

50-60: a couple of inches long

60-70: a couple of inches long

70-80: a couple of inches long

Jennah
September 5th, 2015, 05:25 AM
15-20: Hip/waist length. The majority of young girls have super long natural hair. Itīs a fad I think. Groups of ten or more girls in pictures together all with LHC type hair.

30-40: Shoulder to APL. Lots of bobs, highlights, and hip styles.

40-50: BSL.. Surprisingly, I have found that a lot of my contemporaries have started to grow long hair. Hard to say this but probably in an attempt to look younger and prettier.

50-60: Bob, but starting to go blond even if they were brunettes. For what I heard itīs easier to keep with new growth.

60-70: Short, with the occasional bob. Some very daring ones going grey/pepper but with cool haircuts like inverted bobs, etc.

70-80: Short, blonde dye, and occasional all white pixie.

lapushka
September 5th, 2015, 05:36 AM
What I generally see (when I get out), is short to very short hair, and it getting longer the younger the girl is. I don't see any men with long hair where I live, yes one time, and he had dreads.

MINAKO
September 5th, 2015, 06:59 AM
In public i notice peoples hair, but its not particularly long and/or pretty i dont bother to take a second look at their faces, so i wouldn't know about age exactly.
Im my circle of people where most fall into the 20-30 category the most common lengths are either a long bob or something between BSL and waist.

chen bao jun
September 5th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Mid Atlantic U.S.A.
AGES

15-20 At least bra strap--they all seem to want waist, or even hip if they can get it. I do think its a current trend of the last 2-3 years

30-40 shoulder bob to mid waist, bra strap most common

40-50 usually they have got a haircut, but now I see some 40 to 50's with apl or bra strap hair. the trendy ones. Long hair is a trend.

50-60 Not that different from 40-50. I don't see pixies so much as shoulder length bobs

60-70 pixie

70-80 pixie or they are wearing a wig

Exceptions: high powered working women--they all have hair shorter than shoulder and very 'salon' looking--its like they have to make the point that they can spend the salon money to look 'professional'
Homeschool moms/church friends--99% of these have long hair at any age, long meaning bra strap or longer. the ones with short hair stick out. when it gets longer than about mid back, it will be in a bun or braid

black women (I'm black)--I am so happy when I see someone under about 30 who doesn't have a hair weave or braided extensions. Natural (as in, not a hairweave, I'm not talking about processing whether chemical or heat) hair still seems to be considered 'long' if it's below shoulder and 'really long' if it gets to APL, regardless of the fact that on the internet there are many many examples of black women with natural long hair. Real life, you still just don't see that. Though you do see a lot more natural hair as is not processed. In that case, its always short, as in ear length at the longest, with very very few exceptions. You do see long to very long dreads (won't get into the question of whether dreads count as 'long hair' or not here)
Something like 75% or more of black women older than 55 wear wigs.

LHC length hair-- I see this only rarely, but it is more than I used to . In the last year, I have seen maybe 4-5 women or girls with classic + hair and even one with knee who weren't:

Recent immigrants, either hispanic or Asian Indian--LHC long hair is normal in this group, classic, fingertip, knee. Second generation, however, follows the rules of everybody else

DollyDagger
September 5th, 2015, 10:09 AM
around here...

AGES

15-20 Mid back to waist

20-30 BSL-ish

30-40 APL-BSL

40-50 CBL-APL

50-60 CBL and shorter

60-70 CBL and shorter

70-80 way shorter

It so great to see an older lady with longer white/silver hair or dye-free hair. It happens so rarely as all the older ladies I see still dye thier hair. The texture nearly always looks really awful at this point after decades of chemicals and dyes and dying over mostly white/silver hair.

chen bao jun-black women (I'm black)--I am so happy when I see someone under about 30 who doesn't have a hair weave or braided extensions

Since Ive been watching many different channels on you tube for reviews on products and stuff I also watch several black women's channels and it made me more aware now of when people are sporting their natural hair as opposed to weaves and extensions. It is cool and nice to see.

BVU
February 27th, 2023, 04:21 PM
Not including men, but my city is kind of longhair-centric for younger people. It's a very Eastern European town and pretty religious so that maybe have something to do with it? There's a massive split of cultures past the ages of 30. People often keep their hair up in buns if theyre married and in braids if they aren't, so there's some inaccuracy here lol. Also, most people are strictly natural virgin hair, and you can tell. For black women I generally see natural 3-4 hair at shoulder to APL length, until they hit 40 and the hair is often a relaxed bob :( I am so glad to see people embracing their natural curly hair, though! <3

15-20: Hip-Class

20-30: TBL-Class

30-40: Bob/Pixie - Knee

40-50: Bob/Pixie - Knee/Calf

50-60: Bob/Pixie - Ankle

60-70: Completely bald or Ankle Length... no inbetween lmfao

70-80: Ankle - Floor, and for some odd reason, they will show you their hair at church and feel the need to give random and unwanted advice (not just about hair :run:) every once in a while I'll see short styles but they aren't at all common :confused:

Bri-Chan
February 28th, 2023, 01:54 AM
I live in a medium city in South Italy.

15-20 I would say between apl and hip
20-30 between shoulders and mid back
30-40 again between shoulders and midback
40-50 between shoulders and bsl
50-60 pixie to apl
60-70 pixie to shoulders

I rember when I was living in Germany, everyone had way shorter hair!

floridaorchid
March 3rd, 2023, 05:54 PM
I live in Florida
My guess would be
15-20: shoulder to waist length
20-30: bra strap length
30-40: shoulder length
40:50: pixie or slightly longer
60-70:shoulder length but usually clipped away
70-80: shoulder length and clipped

Brandt
March 5th, 2023, 01:29 AM
Ah--interesting thread here (though only a few 2023 responses). I have noticed recently a lot more long-haired males who are cashiers at various stores. This included a male who had waist-length hair (and it was curly and very thick!) at Vons just a few days ago (in the past, traditional chain grocery stores usually had more conservative hair styles among males--though not so much at places like Trader Joe's or Sprouts). Then, my girlfriend and I went to Petco and immediately I saw a male cashier there with probably MBL hair. Small sample, but I do think long hair is more popular with men than even a few years ago.

Bat
March 5th, 2023, 05:16 AM
Re emergence of the 'man bun' ( usually for late 20s and 30s) and the gadawful extreme mullet that's especially popular with kids under 18 helps with the higher percentage of men having long hair these days

Bri-Chan
March 5th, 2023, 05:34 AM
Ah--interesting thread here (though only a few 2023 responses). I have noticed recently a lot more long-haired males who are cashiers at various stores. This included a male who had waist-length hair (and it was curly and very thick!) at Vons just a few days ago (in the past, traditional chain grocery stores usually had more conservative hair styles among males--though not so much at places like Trader Joe's or Sprouts). Then, my girlfriend and I went to Petco and immediately I saw a male cashier there with probably MBL hair. Small sample, but I do think long hair is more popular with men than even a few years ago.

I think this has again to do with the area...where I live men with long-ish hair aren't common at all, but I lived in Germany for a while and there I saw a lot of them! Women had shorter hair, tho.

Artemisa
March 27th, 2023, 07:59 PM
Im from Venezuela and I WL to TBL are the rule until 50, then is only pixies.