PDA

View Full Version : Recovering from serious neglect

EccentricPython
September 4th, 2015, 09:29 PM
For the last three years or so I haven't been taking very good care of my health. I delayed washing my hair until it was quite oily. I smoked regularly and refused to exercise and eat healthy. I also pulled my hair up in a ponytail daily and always had it straightened. I can imagine this did a lot of damage to my hair..This summer I decided to change all that and began working out as regularly as possible and eating much healthier while taking plenty of vitamins, drinking water, blah blah blah. I quit smoking and drinking cold turkey and am not overwhelmed with stress. However, I am just horrified at how much damage my hair has taken. Serious random wake up call. I don't think my hair grew an inch in three years. It's disturbing. In any case, I am no longer applying heat to my hair and wash it every two/three days. I immediately noticed no more dandruff going on. I ordered some viviscal too so...we will see how that goes. I try to pat dry my hair after I shower, but I honestly don't know how to best handle my after shower hair. It's extremely thin and tends to get oily quick, but I am getting used to handling it and maintaining oil levels. I think I find myself drying my hair too harshly because I hate the cold that much. As though lowering the heat in the shower for my hair wasn't bad enough. So...advice? Also, I'm doing grad work online now and will start student teaching in January 2017. I hope to grow at least 5 inches of hair by then. Since starting to take care of my hair I noticed it grew one inch...in three months, ha. That is pathetic. I hope viviscal helps. I already take biotin and have a happy relationship with my shampoo/conditioner. I don't know what else to do. I am worried that I just damaged my hair beyond repair. I've always had hair that was stubborn when it comes to growth even when I was taking care of it, but this is just embarrassing.

I don't know what else to add. I'm short so 5 inches is a lot for me. I just want to look healthy by the time I get into teaching full time yay please :/ help help!

spidermom
September 4th, 2015, 10:16 PM
The hair that is already damaged is beyond repair. You can use deep treatments on it to help it feel and behave better, but the only cure for damaged hair is cutting it off. BUT as long as you are taking care of your health, that is healthy new hair growing from your scalp, and some day that will be your long, undamaged hair.

Laughter
September 5th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Welcome to LHC! :) I'm new to the forum too, though I have always loved long hair. But, like you, am a very slow grower. I've always been gentle with my hair, never dyed it or done any sort of chemical treatment with it, and I don't get it trimmed often, but it just doesn't like to grow quickly. So I can relate to your frustration!

It's hard to offer suggestions without knowing more about your hair type. But you'll probably need to look around for tips and ideas, then experiment and see what works best for you, because everyone is different. What works for one person with a similar hair type might not work for you. Also, as hard is it is (because I really can relate!) if you don't see the growth you want, don't let that frustrate you too much. Taking care of your hair the way that you are now will result in beautiful hair, it just might take some time.

I wish you all the best with your hair goals, as well as your grad work!

See you around the boards!

-Laughter

lapushka
September 5th, 2015, 03:34 AM
Yes, as spidermom already said, it is going to take years to get that heat damage out. Maybe start microtrimming? You can also S&D; this is where you look at your hair, and cut individual strands. Look for white dots (signs of heat damage) and snip those off above the dot. Do that in small increments otherwise your hair might thin out too much. If you have too many, you'd be better off trimming.

Arctic
September 5th, 2015, 12:25 PM
It's never too late to start. After you'll find a working routine, hair care doesn't need to be labour-intensive or difficult or time consuming, in fact many of the longest haired members here swear their secret is (what we call here) benign neclect :)

Welcome aboard and happy growing!

rosiepink
September 5th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Welcome! Congratulations on all of the healthy lifestyle changes, I know it can be tough. Heat was one of the major components when my hair was extremely damaged so using heat as little as possible will hopefully allow your hair to gain some length! Happy growing :)

Groovy Granny
September 5th, 2015, 10:37 PM
Welcome ~ good luck on your hair journey :)

emilynella
September 6th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Welcome I am new (not just lurking) to LHC too! I Just started not using heat on my hair... these last few weeks have been a pretty hard transition but since its been hot I've been trying new ways to wear it up and protect it.