PDA

View Full Version : Toys and Dolls from childhood- hair related

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 11:12 AM
Hi All.
Just reminiscing in my mind about the dolls from childhood and how I used to play with their hair.

There was Chrissy Doll- anyone remember her? She had a retractable pony so you could adjust her hair length. (wouldnt that be nice in reality..hehe)
You pull on her pony and make her hair waist length then wind it up and make it short at your whim. Needless to say my Chrissy mostly had her hair at maximum length :P

There was this large hairdresser head manequin. You could style it and put rollers in it. It had little plastic styling tools and things.

Then of course the ubiquitous Barbie. I used to try giving her bangs. Never worked out very well.. lol

What dolls and toys with memorable hair did you like growing up ?

TIA for sharing
Dollydagger :blossom:

Groovy Granny
September 2nd, 2015, 11:16 AM
I had (and still have) my Shirley Temple doll :)
She was my one and only as I wasn't allowed to get a Barbie when it came out.
ST had thick curls that I used to set in pin curls like my own hair was, and I'd put ribbons and barrettes on her.
Thanks for the memories :)

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 11:17 AM
I had (and still have) my Shirley Temple doll :)
She was my one and only as I wasn't allowed to get a Barbie when it came out.
ST had thick curls that I used to set in pin curls like my own hair was, and I'd put ribbons and barrettes on her.
Thanks for the memories :)
Aww..so cute. I will try googling to see how it looked.
And wow you still have it! That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

ETA-Holy smokes I think my best friend Tracey had this doll. I kind of remember that red and white dress! too funny!

Groovy Granny
September 2nd, 2015, 11:23 AM
I'll get a pic.....

Anje
September 2nd, 2015, 11:36 AM
I think I had a Chrissy doll... something with hair you could yank out to length, anyway. But I RARELY played with human-shaped toys, so it wasn't memorable.

I did have a lot of stuffed animals and My Little Ponies. I think I may actually have first learned to french braid on the mane a larger stuffed MLP. :)

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
I think I had a Chrissy doll... something with hair you could yank out to length, anyway. But I RARELY played with human-shaped toys, so it wasn't memorable.

I did have a lot of stuffed animals and My Little Ponies. I think I may actually have first learned to french braid on the mane a larger stuffed MLP. :)

As long as you didn't douse it in Mane and Tail :)!:pegasus:

Groovy Granny
September 2nd, 2015, 11:51 AM
I'll get a pic.....

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/st_zpsmfhp43jr.jpg

There she is...the ONLY childhood toy I have :)
I still have her hair brush, videos, biography, obit notice, clothes (the ones my mother made are on the table and the tam at her feet).
The slips of paper are the price tags we made for when we sold items in our store; they say "this ..... costs $" lol

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/grichardocds/st_zpsmfhp43jr.jpg

There she is...the ONLY childhood toy I have :)
I still have her hair brush, videos, biography, obit notice, clothes (the ones my mother made are on the table and the tam at her feet).
The slips of paper are the price tags we made for when we sold items in our store; they say "this ..... costs $" lol

Thnx for posting that GG! That is beyond adorable! So nice you've kept it all. It must bring back sweet memories for sure :)

Frankenstein
September 2nd, 2015, 12:15 PM
I loved Barbie dolls as a child and loved the long-haired ones because I would chop the hair off every single one I had given to me. I ended up doing the same thing to myself when I was 3. :p

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
I loved Barbie dolls as a child and loved the long-haired ones because I would chop the hair off every single one I had given to me. I ended up doing the same thing to myself when I was 3. :p

Lol me too..I mutilated a few Barbies hairdos. Thankfully not myself though!! hehe

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 02:28 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crissy

Holy smokes! Her hair was floor length..! Thats hilarious :lol:

renia22
September 2nd, 2015, 04:31 PM
When I was about 8 or 9 I had a doll like this. You could style her hair & do her make up:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd39/elikitty/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8j3miwzh.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/user/elikitty/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8j3miwzh.jpg.html)

My sister & I also had a creepy red headed doll named Linda. We cut off all of her hair & she ended up getting donating or something. After that, we would terrorize each other that one day she would show up again at our house. The very thought of it still scares me now, haha.

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 04:36 PM
Yes.. that's very similar to the one I had! Thanks for sharing that story about you and your sister and scary Linda...lol so funny. :)

teal
September 2nd, 2015, 05:07 PM
I learned how to do braids and twists on my Cabbage Patch doll. :) I also had a doll similar to a Crissy doll... if I recall correctly, the hair was ratcheted in with an arm and then something got pressed to let it out? Or put the arm up to let it out? I can't recall. I really liked that doll. I remember brushing the hair a lot, and it was silky. I also had some Barbie dolls, but I wasn't as interested in them. Which was sort of a loss, I think, because my grandmother hand-made a lot (and I mean a LOT) of custom dresses and coats and other clothes for them. I seem to remember them not keeping their heads. :lol:

cathair
September 2nd, 2015, 06:04 PM
None, I wasn't allowed dolls. I liked playing with My Little Pony's tails and keepers, but I wasn't allowed the either I played with other people's :D My Dad wasn't big on gender specific toys, but I think that worked out okay for me in the long run. I have my own hair now anyway :)

Groovy Granny
September 2nd, 2015, 06:10 PM
Thnx for posting that GG! That is beyond adorable! So nice you've kept it all. It must bring back sweet memories for sure :)

It does :)

Seeing she was a 'child star' that I used to watch in the movies...... then to see her grown as well; pretty cool!

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 06:19 PM
It does :)

Seeing she was a 'child star' that I used to watch in the movies...... then to see her grown as well; pretty cool!
She was so cute. I used to love catching her movies on Saturdays and Sundays afternoon tv!

None, I wasn't allowed dolls. I liked playing with My Little Pony's tails and keepers, but I wasn't allowed the either I played with other people's :D My Dad wasn't big on gender specific toys, but I think that worked out okay for me in the long run. I have my own hair now anyway :)
True you got good practice with your own real hair! A Barbie was saved..!

I learned how to do braids and twists on my Cabbage Patch doll. :) I also had a doll similar to a Crissy doll... if I recall correctly, the hair was ratcheted in with an arm and then something got pressed to let it out? Or put the arm up to let it out? I can't recall. I really liked that doll. I remember brushing the hair a lot, and it was silky. I also had some Barbie dolls, but I wasn't as interested in them. Which was sort of a loss, I think, because my grandmother hand-made a lot (and I mean a LOT) of custom dresses and coats and other clothes for them. I seem to remember them not keeping their heads. :lol:

Oh yeah..cabbage patch dolls I remember those. Man I wish I could pull my arm and grow my hair like those dolls. ..hehe Id be contorting myself! :) Love hate relationship with Barbie I suppose. That would explain why so many of us mutilated her hair..or ripped her head off..:) haha

Hairkay
September 2nd, 2015, 06:30 PM
I found most doll hair disappointing since very few had curly hair. I wanted the full selection from straight to wavy to curly. The only doll's hair I liked to play with is the one I invented myself. One of my sister's cheap dolls had the usual halo of hair with one strip of hair down the middle. The hair came out fast. We enjoyed playing doll hospital to mend dolls. I got a needle and some thin cotton crochet thread and began to stitch hair into the soft doll's head. I'd given her thick hair down to her ankles. The hair was rooted all over her scalp not just around the sides and middle strip as it had been. The doll also became a favourite of my lil sis. More expensive dolls got less play time and we shave their hair really short anyway.

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 06:43 PM
That's nice you took matters into your own hands with a very creative solution too! :)

turtlelover
September 2nd, 2015, 08:46 PM
I used to give my Barbies boil perms. I'd roll up their hair on bread wrapper ties and then dunk their heads in boiling water, then after a bit, into cold water to set the curl. My Barbies had the BEST 80s hair ever! LOL

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 08:56 PM
I used to give my Barbies boil perms. I'd roll up their hair on bread wrapper ties and then dunk their heads in boiling water, then after a bit, into cold water to set the curl. My Barbies had the BEST 80s hair ever! LOL

Bahaha- like a mad scientist ..lol

Frankenstein
September 2nd, 2015, 10:42 PM
I just remembered that I tried to color Barbie hair using actual hair dye once - it didn't work :D

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 10:44 PM
I just remembered that I tried to color Barbie hair using actual hair dye once - it didn't work :D
Her hair must be low porosity ..lol Or probably she was sporting a wig the whole time that faker! :)

Lolino
September 3rd, 2015, 05:22 AM
I had what felt like a zillion barbie dolls (only daughter, three brothers... can we say spoiled?), but it was probably more like 10-15 total. One of which was my mothers old Barbie from the 60's... and I cut off all her hair into this horrid spiky mess. Mom was NOT happy with me then, and eventually trimmed it into a more "normal" hideous style.
I also had her early model Skipper doll, who had the prettiest hair in my opinion, so apparently I never cut that.

I adoooored my Disney Barbies, Ariel had the most amazing hair, and Esmeralda too. I don't think I ever really braided it or so, just combed it so it was all floofy and crazy, or put in weird ponytails.
They're all in storage at my parents now, so for my Christmas visit I was planning on taking them out and cleaning them and sorting things out so my nieces can have them once they grow up a bit :D

No idea what happened to my original MLPs though, which makes me sad =/ They were so much cuter then, in my nostalgic opinion.

door72067
September 3rd, 2015, 05:57 AM
I had a Chrissy doll! It was a fav of mine.

I also had Quick Curl Barbie and one of those Barbie mannequin heads that you could do the hair & make up on. I was more a fan of Dawn dolls and they all had long hair that was stylable.

DollyDagger
September 3rd, 2015, 09:35 AM
I had a Chrissy doll! It was a fav of mine.

I also had Quick Curl Barbie and one of those Barbie mannequin heads that you could do the hair & make up on. I was more a fan of Dawn dolls and they all had long hair that was stylable.
OH cool! you remember Chrissy. I had the redheaded one. :)

door72067
September 3rd, 2015, 10:46 AM
OH cool! you remember Chrissy. I had the redheaded one. :)

mine was red too! (with a green plaid dress!) my cousin's wife had classic hennaed hair that I adored! (in the early 70's) and the Chrissy doll reminded me of her so I called mine "Patty" LOL

DollyDagger
September 3rd, 2015, 01:48 PM
mine was red too! (with a green plaid dress!) my cousin's wife had classic hennaed hair that I adored! (in the early 70's) and the Chrissy doll reminded me of her so I called mine "Patty" LOL
Oh yeah! I think I remember green plaid dress..! :) Ah the memories.

Asha
September 3rd, 2015, 07:46 PM
Barbie dolls, yes. My older cousin actually gave me her old cosmetology head to play with too. then came betty spaghetti with the easiest hair to manage ever.

HintOfMint
September 3rd, 2015, 08:25 PM
My favorite dolls for hair were the My Little Pony dolls. I loved doing their rainbow manes and tails in fancy braids before they rode off into the sunset to battle villains :guns:

I also had an American Girl doll (not all the accoutrements, lol, I wasn't that spoiled), Josefina, practiced lots of braids on her as well.

DollyDagger
September 3rd, 2015, 09:11 PM
I had what felt like a zillion barbie dolls (only daughter, three brothers... can we say spoiled?), but it was probably more like 10-15 total. One of which was my mothers old Barbie from the 60's... and I cut off all her hair into this horrid spiky mess. Mom was NOT happy with me then, and eventually trimmed it into a more "normal" hideous style.
I also had her early model Skipper doll, who had the prettiest hair in my opinion, so apparently I never cut that.

I adoooored my Disney Barbies, Ariel had the most amazing hair, and Esmeralda too. I don't think I ever really braided it or so, just combed it so it was all floofy and crazy, or put in weird ponytails.
They're all in storage at my parents now, so for my Christmas visit I was planning on taking them out and cleaning them and sorting things out so my nieces can have them once they grow up a bit :D

No idea what happened to my original MLPs though, which makes me sad =/ They were so much cuter then, in my nostalgic opinion.
Thats nice you can pass them on. My mom would go on de-cluttering kicks and throw stuff out if it wasnt being used...I dont have not ONE TOY from childhood..wahh

Barbie dolls, yes. My older cousin actually gave me her old cosmetology head to play with too. then came betty spaghetti with the easiest hair to manage ever.
I remember those Betty Spaghetti commercials..funny name :)

My favorite dolls for hair were the My Little Pony dolls. I loved doing their rainbow manes and tails in fancy braids before they rode off into the sunset to battle villains :guns:

I also had an American Girl doll (not all the accoutrements, lol, I wasn't that spoiled), Josefina, practiced lots of braids on her as well.

lol..they were battling but looking fierce!