PDA

View Full Version : Cetyl Esters and Sorbitol Esters - healthy or not?

molsen7961
September 1st, 2015, 03:01 PM
Let me start off with a little information about my hair: I have very dry + frizzy hair, and therefore only wash my hair once a week (since birth), so I generally have a lot of build up and minor dandruff at the end of the week. I have been experiencing hair loss problems since the age of 11, when I used a flat iron only on my bangs, and only for a year, along with a redkin leave in conditioner. I have not since used any heat, chemical products, or chemical processes on my hair.

Currently, my hair routine is: 1) Coconut oil overnight 2) Jason's Tea Tree Treatment Shampoo only on scalp for dandruff 3) Jason's Biotin Restorative Shampoo x2 on all hair to remove oil + build up 3) Jason's Biotin Restorative Conditioner only on scalp as co-poo to remove remaining build up 4) John Frieda's Frizz Ease Dream Curls Conditioner, left to sit for 5 min 5) 2-3 drops argan oil 6) scrunch with a little aloe vera.

As you can see, the only non-organic product I use is John Frieda's Frizz Ease Conditioner, and anything that I don't wash off in the shower is 100% pure and natural. This is because I have very sensitive hair, skin, and scalp, so anything else results in extreme dandruff and further hair loss. But as a result, I tend to have a lot of frizz and, as I said before, very dry hair.

My question is, what do these ingredients do, are they dangerous, and should I be worried that they will provoke further dandruff and hair loss?

meteor
September 1st, 2015, 03:11 PM
No, they aren't dangerous. But people can react to almost anything, so if you worry about it - patch-test first. ;)

Sorbitol Esters - gentle non-ionic surfactants, emulsifying, cleansing, and solubilizing agents.
Cetyl Esters - synthetic wax, works like a relatively thick, rich, moisturizing, emollient ingredient.

Generally speaking, esters can help to form emulsions by reducing the surface tension of the substances to be emulsified and they help other ingredients to dissolve in a solvent in which they would not normally dissolve. (http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient/peg-sorbitansorbitol-fatty-acid-esters)

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM
If you experience more shedding, it might not be dandruff you're having, especially not if you get it when prolonging washing. This sounds to me as if it might be seborrheic dermatitis. But in case of doubt, see your regular doctor or a dermatologist!

yogagirl
September 1st, 2015, 07:13 PM
I agree with lapushka, it sounds like SD could be a factor here. Does your scalp get itchy a few days after a wash? SD can cause itchiness, pimples on scalp, dandruff and hair loss when it is not well managed. Might be worth a visit to the dermatologist.

turtlelover
September 1st, 2015, 07:18 PM
I'd definitely see a dermatologist. It sounds like you could have some sort of fungal infection going on, and might need some special products to treat it.

meteor
September 1st, 2015, 07:41 PM
I have been experiencing hair loss problems since the age of 11, when I used a flat iron only on my bangs, and only for a year, along with a redkin leave in conditioner. I have not since used any heat, chemical products, or chemical processes on my hair.

Wait, are you still experiencing hair loss, since back then? If so, you need to see a doctor. :flower: I don't think that any standard hygiene products should be responsible for hairloss, I would really think there must be some underlying issue going on. I'd definitely do standard blood tests (e.g. check for deficiencies, thyroid function, etc) and also show the scalp to a doctor, to rule out skin conditions.

molsen7961
September 1st, 2015, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. I've always had extremely dry skin (to the point where it peels were if don't put lotion on immediately after washing), and have a personal history of eczema and psoriasis, along with familial history of eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. My sister just recently got diagnosed with SD, and she's 11 (same age as when my problems started), so it's a definite possibility.

I've been to the doctor for a small patch of psoriasis on my neck, but although I would have thought he would have noticed anything on my scalp because the patch is rather close to it, he didn't specifically check it. I've also recently got a blood test to check for thyroid issues, but the results haven't come yet. I will definitely make sure to go back to the doctor and get it checked out.

Thanks guys!

molsen7961
September 1st, 2015, 08:05 PM
Also, I'd just like to say that I'm only 16 so 11 wasn't THAT long ago. :)

Twinkletoes21
September 1st, 2015, 09:29 PM
If you experience more shedding, it might not be dandruff you're having, especially not if you get it when prolonging washing. This sounds to me as if it might be seborrheic dermatitis. But in case of doubt, see your regular doctor or a dermatologist!

I am curious about this since molsen7961's issues sound similar to what I've experienced. Are there treatments for SD that will cut down on the shedding?

meteor
September 1st, 2015, 10:09 PM
I am curious about this since molsen7961's issues sound similar to what I've experienced. Are there treatments for SD that will cut down on the shedding?

If you treat SD properly, the shedding from SD will stop, as well.

Try ketoconazole-based treatments (e.g. Nizoral or Regenepure Dr.). You need to follow instructions to a T though: the frequency, the massaging it in for a few minutes... If standard over-the-counter anti-fungals don't work, your doctor can prescribe something stronger.

There are also some basic prevention rules, like keeping scalp dry, clean and oil-free, since SD is triggered by overgrowth of Malassezia fungus, which is lipid-dependent and feeds on sebum and natural oils, rich in oleic acid: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923939/; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18004291

yogagirl
September 2nd, 2015, 08:32 AM
Ah, so there is a lot going on already with skin issues. That definitely can cause all sorts of things on the scalp too. When you get your exzema under control you might just find your scalp improving as well. I have rosacea and I've got it pretty well under control, but when it does act up a bit I always have scalp problems at the same time and more shedding as a result.

I don't know enough about how your eczema and your scalp issues affect each other, but for people who have SD, washing too infrequently and with too mild shampoo will definitely worsen their SD. This is because SD feeds off of sebum basically. I have to wash every 3-4 days and if I go longer, I shed terribly on the 4th or 5th day and then when I eventually wash my hair. BUT again, since you have eczema it might be a very different situation for you and might have nothing to do with SD.

I hope you and your dermatologist can find a good solution for you. Have you tried improving your exzema with nutrition?