PDA

View Full Version : Giving up blowdrying -- pros and cons

turtlelover
August 31st, 2015, 10:29 PM
I have been a blowdrying junkie for my entire LIFE! (I am now 40.) I stopped about a month ago, and my hair definitely seems more moisturized so far. It dries pretty nicely overall as long as I don't wash at night and then sleep on it funny. The only issue that I am having is that my roots seem less lifted. If I could find a way to get more root lift, I'd be thrilled! I know that some people say that blowdrying on a low setting doesn't hurt your hair, but I can't deny the difference in moisture, so it just doesn't seem worth it to use the dryer for root lift. *sigh*

lilin
September 1st, 2015, 01:45 AM
I have been a blowdrying junkie for my entire LIFE! (I am now 40.) I stopped about a month ago, and my hair definitely seems more moisturized so far. It dries pretty nicely overall as long as I don't wash at night and then sleep on it funny. The only issue that I am having is that my roots seem less lifted. If I could find a way to get more root lift, I'd be thrilled! I know that some people say that blowdrying on a low setting doesn't hurt your hair, but I can't deny the difference in moisture, so it just doesn't seem worth it to use the dryer for root lift. *sigh*

You might find plopping to dry helps with this a bit. Also, some wavy/curlies use little clips to clip their roots up while they dry.

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 03:45 AM
If you use a blowdryer sensibly, like it was intended, then there really is no issue with it. If it's done on cool/warm it's fine. And how warm? If you can hold your hand in the airstream long enough without it burning, it's fine.

I diffuse weekly on warm (not cool) for 4/5 min. and it seems to be fine so far (I'm classic length). I do however do everything else that needs doing for it to dry somewhat (15-30 min. in a turbie), then airdry for 1H, 1H30min., then diffuse. Otherwise my roots would take far too long to dry. And I need them dry because I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and having my hair wet for too long is intolerable.

ChloeDharma
September 1st, 2015, 04:02 AM
Wasn't there a thread about this a little while ago where it was suggested that gentle blow drying was actually better for hair as it reduced the amount of time hair is swollen with water? In the winter if I wash before going out I have to dry my hair as I couldn't cope with my head being wet and cold. Also if blow drying smooths out tangle prone hair that must reduce breakage?
That said if you like your hair air dried and have seen an improvement then of course keep up what is working for you. For root lift you could try the little clips idea, I've seen that on a youtube video before.

diddiedaisy
September 1st, 2015, 04:04 AM
I give my hair a gentle lift with my fingers at the roots while I'm drying. You could also pop your head upside down, put the fingers on your head, and give it a bit of a scrunch or gentle pull to lift the hair that way. Both these ways work for me.

However, if I'm in a rush I blow dry on slow warm heat, as long as your not ripping a brush through it at the same time it shouldn't damage your hair.

Groovy Granny
September 1st, 2015, 11:07 AM
The Curly Girl method also mentions using small clips to raise the roots while air drying.
I have never had the need to do that so I can't say if it works.
Plus you can't go out of the house like that lol

meteor
September 1st, 2015, 11:39 AM

If your hair is feeling more moisturized right away after switching from heat-styling, you are lucky! :D (Some folks have initial problems with frizz, smoothness, texture when they switch to air-drying just because constant heat-styling is a very different beast that really changes perception of how hair is supposed to lay and behave and what to do with it.)
If you have problems with root lift, you could try:

- root-clipping with clips or smaller claw-clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLCD12RKbw

- placing jumbo rollers at the crown very close to scalp as it's drying;

- blow-drying on cool or warm only the roots in the upside down position;

- applying a bit of mousse or other light styling product at the roots on wet hair and combing and styling hair upside down as it's drying;

- very high bun as it's drying...

To answer your question about pros and cons of giving up blow-drying:
Pros - saves time & effort, no heat damage, easier to rock one's natural texture without frizz;
Cons - takes much longer to dry, hygral fatigue risk, harder to change natural texture as desired without heat, often a bit less volume.

meteor
September 1st, 2015, 11:56 AM
Wasn't there a thread about this a little while ago where it was suggested that gentle blow drying was actually better for hair as it reduced the amount of time hair is swollen with water?

Yes, there were a few threads on that, e.g.: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119003; http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109230.html; http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-118268.html
That study (Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/) showed that blow-drying was worse for the cuticle (and the higher the temperature, the longer the time of exposure and the shorter the distance, the worse), but air-drying resulted in more "damage" to internal structure ("bulging" of the cell-membrane-complex). It's not very detailed, because that was not the original objective of the study, so we need more research into this.
(All samples showed damage compared to the unwashed control group, of course.)

It looks like the CMC doesn't do well if it remains wet for too long, as the internal "glue" deteriorates.
(Low temperature blow-drying - 47°C or 117 F, held at a distance of 15 cm or 6 inches away from the hair)

I would imagine the least damage occurs with heat-free and fast drying, so something like a floor fan in a warm room or Madora's fanning technique or sectioning hair to aerate it more or blow-drying on cool setting are all helpful. :)

LauraAlaina
September 1st, 2015, 12:53 PM
I've also cut out blowdrying and my hair feels so much better!! it actually looks better when after i wash, i don't comb just leave it alone and let it dry then it did when i would brush it and blowdry it! it would turn into a crazy mess!

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 01:12 PM
The Curly Girl method also mentions using small clips to raise the roots while air drying.
I have never had the need to do that so I can't say if it works.
Plus you can't go out of the house like that lol

I do use those while airdrying, but I use tiny to medium size claw clips to clip 4 portions of my hair back. Then during diffusing roots get lifted as well.

Groovy Granny
September 1st, 2015, 01:15 PM
I do use those while airdrying, but I use tiny to medium size claw clips to clip 4 portions of my hair back. Then during diffusing roots get lifted as well.
Ah...thanks; I'll keep that in mind; better than hanging upside down lol :thumbsup:

missrandie
September 1st, 2015, 01:19 PM
On the rare occasions that I blow dry, it's for the speed factor or over all root lift. But, I air dry 98% of the time. If my hair looks like it is getting a little flat, I just flip my head upside down and give it a couple finger shakes at the root, then upright myself and rearrange the part.

Rowdy
September 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
On the rare occasions that I blow dry, it's for the speed factor or over all root lift. But, I air dry 98% of the time. If my hair looks like it is getting a little flat, I just flip my head upside down and give it a couple finger shakes at the root, then upright myself and rearrange the part.

I do this when I want some more lift. Let it air dry then part it on the opposite side :)

Groovy Granny
September 1st, 2015, 01:31 PM
I do this when I want some more lift. Let it air dry then part it on the opposite side :)

That's a great idea...if I can just remember to do it lol ;)

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Ah...thanks; I'll keep that in mind; better than hanging upside down lol :thumbsup:

Yes, if you turn the claw to the side and clip it, the root gets lifted plenty, especially when using a bit bigger claw clips, granted you have to hold a little more hair in it, but it beats having 20 tiny clips all over your head.

Groovy Granny
September 1st, 2015, 01:58 PM
Yes, if you turn the claw to the side and clip it, the root gets lifted plenty, especially when using a bit bigger claw clips, granted you have to hold a little more hair in it, but it beats having 20 tiny clips all over your head.
Got it :thumbsup: Thanks!

meteor
September 1st, 2015, 02:28 PM

I like doing that, too. ;) Changing parts always gives some volume initially.

About root-clipping, I prefer claw-clips, too. And it's worth mentioning that there are multiple techniques for different purposes (e.g. more volume (with "uplift clipping"), hiding part (with "cross-clipping"), etc. It's worth checking out YouTube for different ideas ;), e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLCD12RKbw

I think root-clipping works particularly effectively on curly/wavy hair and on hair that is maybe layered or just not too long / too heavy.
(It's a bit harder to get long-lasting root volume the longer the hair gets.)

missblueeyes
September 1st, 2015, 02:52 PM
Well, I never really blow-dried my hair except for when I was at my boyfriend's once and a couple of times last winter. For me, it's pure lazyness. I hate holding up the blowdrier for a prolounged amount of time, waiting for my hair to dry. That being said, I always air-dried my hair and only had to fight my hair when I blow-dried it because I wasn't used to the insane fluff and volume I got.

Pro's:
You needn't worry about where to store one more electric device in your bathroom.
Air-drying doesn't cost any money.
It's less effort.

Con's:
You should plan your wash days ahead so you don't have to go out with wet hair in winter.
I don't have anything to dry a piece of clothing really quickly if I need to. ;D

yahirwaO.o
September 1st, 2015, 03:28 PM
Im quite the opossite. I used to air dry all the time before and now I just prefer to blow dry my hair. It feels slightly more silky when air dryed, but blow dryed I have nice volume until my next wash and looks much better. I also realize that contant wet hair up lead to breakage and more shedding on me somehow.

So I sort of balance now, one wash- blow dry on warm high speed roots- cold on the ends and then my next wash im putting it in damp braids (never a bun) or of its nice and sunny I just let it air dry like so.

Deborah
September 1st, 2015, 10:28 PM
I think giving up the dryer is all pro and no con. Heat and wind are hard on hair.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2015, 06:12 AM
I think giving up the dryer is all pro and no con. Heat and wind are hard on hair.

So is leaving it wet too long, says my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). ;) Some of us need a dryer. And so far I haven't seen damage from it. Provided you use it sensibly. Anything can be abused, that doesn't make it a bad tool.

valkyrje
September 2nd, 2015, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to give up blowdrying but I'm struggling to control those rebel baby hairs that behave completely on their own and sort of curl (is that normal?). Also, I need to think of another way to dry my hair completely in winter mornings when I start the uni, since washing it before going to bed isn't an option for my oily scalp, especially if I'm trying to stretch washes.

meteor
September 2nd, 2015, 05:08 PM
^ Valkyrje, have you tried blow-drying on COOL setting? Or a combination of cool and warm? :) Alternatively, drying hair next to a fan or heater should help speed it up.

You could try sleeking those baby hairs down with water and a comb or with conditioner/gel/oil and a comb. :)

valkyrje
September 2nd, 2015, 05:18 PM
I didn't think of that... I'll try it next time I have to blow dry my hair. :)
Oh, wouldn't dare to put any oil near that part of my hair, it's the first one to get greasy! I'll manage to blend them in a french braid till they get dry, it worked out well last time.

cathair
September 2nd, 2015, 05:22 PM
Yes, there were a few threads on that, e.g.: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119003; http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109230.html; http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-118268.html
That study (Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/) showed that blow-drying was worse for the cuticle (and the higher the temperature, the longer the time of exposure and the shorter the distance, the worse), but air-drying resulted in more "damage" to internal structure ("bulging" of the cell-membrane-complex). It's not very detailed, because that was not the original objective of the study, so we need more research into this.
(All samples showed damage compared to the unwashed control group, of course.)

It looks like the CMC doesn't do well if it remains wet for too long, as the internal "glue" deteriorates.
(Low temperature blow-drying - 47°C or 117 F, held at a distance of 15 cm or 6 inches away from the hair)

I would imagine the least damage occurs with heat-free and fast drying, so something like a floor fan in a warm room or Madora's fanning technique or sectioning hair to aerate it more or blow-drying on cool setting are all helpful. :)

Wow, interesting it says it changes hair colour too!

I do fear the hygral fatigue a lot. My hair air dries fairly quickly anyway, but have been experimenting. Madora's fanning technique works for me in summer. But have also discovered the wall mounted fan heater in my bathroom is cool enough to dry my hair with too.

It's never made my skin feel hot, just pleasantly warm. It seems to work just like blow drying, but has the added benefit of me not having to get a tired arm waving a hair drying round, I just have to move my head or turn around :) It's super lazy and works well, I love it :) I can also make my hair nearly straight like this, if I choose to just by finger combing it.

meteor
September 2nd, 2015, 05:27 PM
^ Wow, that mounted fan heater sounds perfect, cathair! :thumbsup:

And yes, I found it interesting too, about the color. :agree: It makes sense, since they were washing and drying hair for that experiment 30 times. Damage results in visually lightening hair a bit, which is how most people with long hair have lighter ends than roots (older ends accumulate more damage of all sorts over time).

Arctic
September 2nd, 2015, 06:18 PM
My hair gets silkier when blowdried, it sort of temporarily stretches or smoothes my wiry hairs. That's one of the main reasons why I blow dry. I also never want to leave home with wet hair (excluding things like dog walking and grocery runs).

Con is the time it take from my weeks, as i am an almost daily washer.

yahirwaO.o
September 2nd, 2015, 09:03 PM
Con is the time it take from my weeks, as i am an almost daily washer.

Yeah, I wash my hair every other day (sometimes every two) and I dont like spending 20 minutes hearing a high sound that find a bit annoying. Still when I finishih with the cold bottom, my hair has that silky feeling that I love, but I rarely do it because I wash at night and got a soar bad cold that more cold air wouldnt help, so I just stick to low warm and sleep so nice!!!:D

MoreAutumnForMe
September 2nd, 2015, 09:22 PM
So I sort of balance now, one wash- blow dry on warm high speed roots- cold on the ends and then my next wash im putting it in damp braids (never a bun) or of its nice and sunny I just let it air dry like so.

Is bunning your hair while it's wet bad for it?

I've been air drying for a while, but I've noticed a huge difference between my winter/summer growth - winter growth has tangles. I think it'd take 24 hours to dry last winter... in the summer it takes two or three hours. Very interesting!