PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and hair health

AutobotsAttack
August 31st, 2015, 04:30 PM
Hey everyone :)
so as you can tell by the title I was just wondering how many of you LHCers smoke and have you noticed if it affects your hair? Aside from my hair occasionally smelling like smoke I haven't seen or noticed anything out of the ordinary. I used to be a pack and a half a day smoker, but since I've been working on slowly quitting I can make a pack last me three and a half weeks tops. I workout everyday and can breath a lot better and my lung capacity has increased by 32% since my last checkup. I don't have chest pains and can run for a full 4 mins straight. My heart rate has decreased as well :) Super proud of myself. It's taken me about five months to get to where I am. It's a slow process but I'm encouraging myself and showing compassion as much as possible and I'm happy of my progress because I feel comfortable :) I did read up that smoking can affect hair growth but only by a 1-3% rate compared to other health issues. But everyone is different so I just advise to take precaution by your own standards.

But yeah, so do you guys have any issues if you are a smoker? If so, how do you plan to fix it?

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 04:36 PM
I'm not a smoker, but I wanted to say: congratulations on your progress quitting smoking! :joy: What a huge step! Happy to hear about such fast health improvement! :toast: I bet your body (and hair) will thank you for this! :D

(To answer your question, I would imagine if smoking does affect hair in any way, then probably only indirectly, via affecting overall health. But I haven't researched this issue so I'm not sure, sorry.)

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 04:40 PM
If smoking did indeed affect hair growth, then both my mother or aunt wouldn't have the amount of outgrowth they have (they both dye their hair).

AutobotsAttack
August 31st, 2015, 04:44 PM
I'm not a smoker, but I wanted to say: congratulations on your progress quitting smoking! :joy: What a huge step! Happy to hear about such fast health improvement! :toast: I bet your body (and hair) will t hank you for this! :D

(To answer your question, I would imagine if smoking does affect hair in any way, then probably only indirectly, via affecting overall health. But I haven't researched this issue so I'm not sure, sorry.)

Oh thank you! And yea I think I'm improving quickly I'm only 20. So my body can still kind of whip itself back I to shape quickly lol. (Young whipper snapper!) lol

And no it's okay no need to apologize I'll just have to do more research

AutobotsAttack
August 31st, 2015, 04:45 PM
If smoking did indeed affect hair growth, then both my mother or aunt wouldn't have the amount of outgrowth they have (they both dye their hair).

Hmm maybe smoking affects certain people and different levels? I'm not sure either lol

Robot Ninja
August 31st, 2015, 04:51 PM
Congratulations on your progress!

I'm a smoker because I was young and stupid once and quitting is haaaaard, and my hair still grows about half an inch a month, which is totally average, so I don't think smoking is affecting it too much. Of course, I run out of breath easily, my teeth are all stained, and it's probably done a number on my skin, so I still wouldn't recommend it. I'm working on quitting, or at least cutting way back, but it's haaaard.

spidermom
August 31st, 2015, 06:06 PM

Determinations like that are hard to make since nobody knows what their hair growth would be without the smoking.

trolleypup
August 31st, 2015, 06:37 PM
A very long haired member noticed an improvement in hair strand quality at the division between smoking and non-smoking. \quoted anecdote...

Congratulations on cutting back...probably the effects on hair are a result of other effects smoking may have on the body.

DollyDagger
August 31st, 2015, 07:57 PM
Thats really good youve cut down alot! i used to be quite a heavy smoker..ill be quit 5 years this coming monday actually! :hollie:

smoking and hair..hmm..well
Hair retains smoke smells really badly usually. I can smell it on people all the time. I probably used to smell like that too..llol..and now it really grosses me out.
As far as growth its hard to say whether or not hair grows better but i would hazzard a guess that it does.
Have you ever been in the home of a heavy smoker and seen the yellow tobacco stains on their walls..? just how that film forms on walls and stuff..is how it probably forms a film on our hair.

Im glad youre making steps towards eliminating cigarettes..I quit cold turkey and it wasnt easy!
Youre smoking so little now youre practically quit as is..:)
Needless to say too theres about a million other reasons to give up smoking besides hair.

Frankenstein
August 31st, 2015, 09:37 PM
I smoke and haven't really noticed any effects on my hair. It's mostly other things (diet, stress, etc)

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 12:16 AM
Congratulations on your progress!

I'm a smoker because I was young and stupid once and quitting is haaaaard, and my hair still grows about half an inch a month, which is totally average, so I don't think smoking is affecting it too much. Of course, I run out of breath easily, my teeth are all stained, and it's probably done a number on my skin, so I still wouldn't recommend it. I'm working on quitting, or at least cutting way back, but it's haaaard.

Oh I totally understand. No judgment. Just keep trying :)

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 12:19 AM
Thats really good youve cut down alot! i used to be quite a heavy smoker..ill be quit 5 years this coming monday actually! :hollie:

smoking and hair..hmm..well
Hair retains smoke smells really badly usually. I can smell it on people all the time. I probably used to smell like that too..llol..and now it really grosses me out.
As far as growth its hard to say whether or not hair grows better but i would hazzard a guess that it does.
Have you ever been in the home of a heavy smoker and seen the yellow tobacco stains on their walls..? just how that film forms on walls and stuff..is how it probably forms a film on our hair.

Im glad youre making steps towards eliminating cigarettes..I quit cold turkey and it wasnt easy!
Youre smoking so little now youre practically quit as is..:)
Needless to say too theres about a million other reasons to give up smoking besides hair.

Oh most definately! :) and thank you :) I've tried to quit cold turkey and it just made me binge smoke even more so I had to do it slowly and steadily :)

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 12:20 AM
I smoke and haven't really noticed any effects on my hair. It's mostly other things (diet, stress, etc)

Oh yea I understand. When I smoked a lot it curbed my appetite a lot

lilin
September 1st, 2015, 01:42 AM
I feel that my hair grew a little slower when I smoked. Otherwise, I noticed no significant effects. But again, I am also young. It might be different for people who are older.

ChloeDharma
September 1st, 2015, 03:00 AM
I have just been trying to give up smoking, yesterday was my fifth day and I caved in and brought some baccy last night but I'm determined that's my last lot as I feel awful now for giving in. Anyway I believe it does effect hair growth. My hair used to grow fast, about an inch per month if not a bit more sometimes but a few years after starting to smoke my hair growth slowly went down to half an inch per month, sometimes as little as 1/4 of an inch.
What was also very telling though was my sister's friend who is a hair dresser was looking at my hair and we were talking about the issues I had with loosing thickness. She looked at my hairline, scalp etc and instantly said "you smoke don't you". My sister was there and doesn't know I started again so I had to deny it but she looked very confused when I said "not anymore". I wanted to talk to her about it and ask how she could tell but haven't had the chance as she lives abroad and was visiting at the time. I know it wasn't the smell as my sister is very sensitive to smells in general but particularly tobacco smoke so it had to be something else.

I notice that smokers skin tends to show it as they age, a bit like sun damage so given it ages the skin and the scalp is skin it makes sense that over time it could effect hair, whether that's quality of hair, growt rate, thickness or whatever but in any case not smoking must give your hair the best chance.

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 03:01 AM
Determinations like that are hard to make since nobody knows what their hair growth would be without the smoking.

Spidermom, they once didn't smoke, and their hair grew just the same.

DollyDagger
September 1st, 2015, 09:24 AM
Oh most definately! :) and thank you :) I've tried to quit cold turkey and it just made me binge smoke even more so I had to do it slowly and steadily :)

Cold turkey was the way for me. Everyone is different I know. When I found out how relatively quickly nicotine leaves your system I figured why keep topping it up. You could give cold turkey another try. It would be easier now since your smoking so much less. Let your body completely rid of itself of the nicotine and your smooth sailing from there. Then it becomes more mental then the actual physical withdrawl. This article I read was a huge catalyst for me. Seeing just how much cigarettes were ruling me. http://whyquit.com/whyquit/joelcigfriend.html Have a looksee :)

Good luck~Happy healthy hair growing and smoke-quitting to you :)

missrandie
September 1st, 2015, 09:51 AM
Another touch of anecdotal evidence here:

My husband quit smoking around the beginning of this year, and we have both noticed that his hair grows in softer and shinier. Before, his hair felt really wiry and tough. Not brittle per se, but it just didn't feel as high quality as the hair growing now.

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 03:08 PM
My dad quit smoking last year as well, except for his cigars once in a while. I haven't noticed any difference in his hair - granted he is 69 years old.

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 06:17 PM
Cold turkey was the way for me. Everyone is different I know. When I found out how relatively quickly nicotine leaves your system I figured why keep topping it up. You could give cold turkey another try. It would be easier now since your smoking so much less. Let your body completely rid of itself of the nicotine and your smooth sailing from there. Then it becomes more mental then the actual physical withdrawl. This article I read was a huge catalyst for me. Seeing just how much cigarettes were ruling me. http://whyquit.com/whyquit/joelcigfriend.html Have a looksee :)

Thank you :) and that's a very nice article. I haven't finished it it's very interesting :)

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 06:17 PM
My dad quit smoking last year as well, except for his cigars once in a while. I haven't noticed any difference in his hair - granted he is 69 years old.

Yea that makes sense

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 06:19 PM
Another touch of anecdotal evidence here:

My husband quit smoking around the beginning of this year, and we have both noticed that his hair grows in softer and shinier. Before, his hair felt really wiry and tough. Not brittle per se, but it just didn't feel as high quality as the hair growing now.

I can definately relate. My hair has always been fine even before I smoked but I do notice my hair holds shine a lot longer than it used to

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 06:21 PM
I notice that smokers skin tends to show it as they age, a bit like sun damage so given it ages the skin and the scalp is skin it makes sense that over time it could effect hair, whether that's quality of hair, growt rate, thickness or whatever but in any case not smoking must give your hair the best chance.[/QUOTE]

I definately agree with that. And not just hair but like EVERY other subject of health too

AutobotsAttack
September 1st, 2015, 06:22 PM
I feel that my hair grew a little slower when I smoked. Otherwise, I noticed no significant effects. But again, I am also young. It might be different for people who are older.

I'm young too (20). And that's a possibility. Although everyone is different so I can't be 100% sure.

cathair
September 1st, 2015, 08:19 PM
Approximately three years after giving up, no change.

I have just been trying to give up smoking, yesterday was my fifth day and I caved in and brought some baccy last night but I'm determined that's my last lot as I feel awful now for giving in. Anyway I believe it does effect hair growth. My hair used to grow fast, about an inch per month if not a bit more sometimes but a few years after starting to smoke my hair growth slowly went down to half an inch per month, sometimes as little as 1/4 of an inch.
What was also very telling though was my sister's friend who is a hair dresser was looking at my hair and we were talking about the issues I had with loosing thickness. She looked at my hairline, scalp etc and instantly said "you smoke don't you". My sister was there and doesn't know I started again so I had to deny it but she looked very confused when I said "not anymore". I wanted to talk to her about it and ask how she could tell but haven't had the chance as she lives abroad and was visiting at the time. I know it wasn't the smell as my sister is very sensitive to smells in general but particularly tobacco smoke so it had to be something else.

I notice that smokers skin tends to show it as they age, a bit like sun damage so given it ages the skin and the scalp is skin it makes sense that over time it could effect hair, whether that's quality of hair, growt rate, thickness or whatever but in any case not smoking must give your hair the best chance.

I promise, the first 7 days is the hardest, after that is gets much easier. You were so close to being over the worst of it. You will feel like utter deathly crap for 7 days. Then it starts improving. You'll probably feel rough but not deathly for another 7. After that you'll probably feel fine. Just annoyed that that you don't have anything to do along with the realisation that you spent way more time rolling cigarettes than you thought was possible :D It's astounding how much time you get back.

Just wanted to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel, good luck :)

cathair
September 1st, 2015, 08:22 PM

Couldn't agree more, it's just prolonging the suffering in my opinion to cut down. My brother is a fine example of this, he's been quitting for the best part of ten years, yet never managed a whole week.

ChloeDharma
September 1st, 2015, 08:47 PM
Approximately three years after giving up, no change.

I promise, the first 7 days is the hardest, after that is gets much easier. You were so close to being over the worst of it. You will feel like utter deathly crap for 7 days. Then it starts improving. You'll probably feel rough but not deathly for another 7. After that you'll probably feel fine. Just annoyed that that you don't have anything to do along with the realisation that you spent way more time rolling cigarettes than you thought was possible :D It's astounding how much time you get back.

Just wanted to let you know there is light at the end of the tunnel, good luck :)

Awww that's really sweet of you thank you :flower: I know I was stupid to give in, particularly as the intensity had calmed down a little and I could speak to people again. Hey ho, once this pouch is finished (just a 12.5g one) I am determined to stick with it. Thanks again :)

DollyDagger
September 1st, 2015, 09:44 PM
Couldn't agree more, it's just prolonging the suffering in my opinion to cut down. My brother is a fine example of this, he's been quitting for the best part of ten years, yet never managed a whole week.

My mom is like your brother. She's tried a million times to quit by cutting down, or putting a patch on, or nicorette gums but always fails in the end. Best way in my mind is a clean break so as not to prolong the agony.

I concur there is light at the end of the tunnel:)

And on a different note cathair: I :crush: your hair. I just started transitioning to my natural/silvers :)

cathair
September 2nd, 2015, 05:06 PM
Awww that's really sweet of you thank you :flower: I know I was stupid to give in, particularly as the intensity had calmed down a little and I could speak to people again. Hey ho, once this pouch is finished (just a 12.5g one) I am determined to stick with it. Thanks again :)

You can do it! :cheer: if you need someone to rant at, you know where my inbox is :D

My mom is like your brother. She's tried a million times to quit by cutting down, or putting a patch on, or nicorette gums but always fails in the end. Best way in my mind is a clean break so as not to prolong the agony.

I concur there is light at the end of the tunnel:)

And on a different note cathair: I :crush: your hair. I just started transitioning to my natural/silvers :)

That sounds so familiar. Patches, e-cigs, cutting down... just seems to make him more stressed. Better to book a week off work and just spend it under a duvet on the sofa and sweat it out, for me for sure anyway :)

Awww, thank you :flower: I have cheated a bit with the teal streaks by my ears, but there is still plenty of white through the top sections, multiplying by the day :) I see you are in the Salt n Pepper thread, I will pop over as to not hijack this one.

spidermom
September 2nd, 2015, 06:00 PM
The last time he attempted to quit, my husband made it an entire 3 weeks, then started having "just a puff" off someone else's cigarette, then bumming 1, and finally started again. I was so upset. I figured after 3 weeks he had it nailed.

It stands to reason that smoking would affect hair growth in some way because it interferes with circulation.

DollyDagger
September 2nd, 2015, 06:23 PM
The last time he attempted to quit, my husband made it an entire 3 weeks, then started having "just a puff" off someone else's cigarette, then bumming 1, and finally started again. I was so upset. I figured after 3 weeks he had it nailed.

It stands to reason that smoking would affect hair growth in some way because it interferes with circulation.

I quit with the help of an amazing forum... and the main mantra was Not-One-Puff-Ever.. NOPE!.. thats all it takes...to take you off course.
Agreed...circulation respiration oxygen..all part of healthy cells..happy healthy scalp cells.

ETA-Hopefully your husband will give it another shot and succeed.

MoreAutumnForMe
September 2nd, 2015, 09:08 PM
Hey everyone :)
so as you can tell by the title I was just wondering how many of you LHCers smoke and have you noticed if it affects your hair?
Super proud of myself. It's taken me about five months to get to where I am.

I'm really proud of you! It took me two years to quit after I managed to switch to filterless... that cut down the amount a lot - it's impossible to smoke much more than one filtered cigarette's worth of tobacco loose. I can't stand the smell now that's I've quit - it's still boiling hot where I live and I never noticed how many neighbors smoke :sick: I can't open the window without the whole place stinkin' up!

Not for nothing, like I also clarified my hair this month, but my hair usually grows one inch approx. per month, and in August it grew 2.5" and my new growth is smoother.

I think it'll slow back down, unless I really am a hairbrain, after all. :eyebrows:

Addy
September 3rd, 2015, 01:22 AM
I haven't noticed a noticeable change since I quit smoking on Nov 18th, 2013. Although my hair does not smell as bad as I remember it once did when I did smoke.

So glad to be smoke free!!!

Waffle
September 3rd, 2015, 01:43 AM
Congratulations en they quit smoking their hail felt more healthy.