PDA

View Full Version : Good scissor?

Estrid
August 30th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Hello!

I am planning on trimming my hair myself starting next year (I am in the no trimming 2015 so this year it is not needed) but I thought that it may be good to start looking now and give the scissor as a new year present to myself :)

I know that real hairdresser scissors cost a small fortune, and I don't think I want to spend that. But I would like to know if any of you know any good scissors that don't cost that much? I guess I would be okay with paying up to maybe $50 for a good scissor, but not more. Less is better!

So yeah... where did you buy your scissor? is it good?

It kinda has to be online since I live in sweden and probably don't have the same stores around as some of you.

Thanks in advance! :flower:

bed_head
August 31st, 2015, 12:44 AM
I am pretty happy with tweezerman's hair shears! Great price and I find all of their products well made.

http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Stainless-2000-Styling-Shears/dp/B000WI0640/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_y

Not only that, but Tweezerman offer's free lifetime shapening too! http://www.tweezerman.com/free-sharpening/

Lolino
August 31st, 2015, 03:20 AM
I got mine at Kicks last time I was in the homeland for christmas :D I think it was a little over 100 kr or so. I really like it, and it actually works better than the drugstore scissors I got here. Plus it's fairly cheap, so if it goes dull (or the boyfriend uses it to cut nails/string/cardboard again) I'll just get a new one.

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 05:00 AM
Mine is by the brand "Ultron", it's a European brand and I got it from this store, for those Europeans looking for good shears:
http://www.flash-world.nl/catalog/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=nqcjf90sho7u68hf88rfqd6d84

Nini
August 31st, 2015, 05:34 AM
I got an ok pair at a regular store, no fancy brand or anything. Although the ones I use more often are my Fiskars embroidery scissors;) I only do S&D'ing though.

Nique1202
August 31st, 2015, 05:36 AM
The important thing is sharp scissors that you can use comfortably and keeping them sharp by not cutting anything except hair with them, not necessarily spending a lot on fancy shears. I use a pair of regular office scissors as my trimming shears. I got a scissor-sharpening tool at a hardware store to make sure they're as sharp as I can get them, and I've seen no split ends or problems in my hair that would have been caused by the scissors.

Johannah
August 31st, 2015, 05:37 AM
Mine is called Jaguar Pre Style Relaxed 5.5. I love it.

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 06:52 AM
The important thing is sharp scissors that you can use comfortably and keeping them sharp by not cutting anything except hair with them, not necessarily spending a lot on fancy shears. I use a pair of regular office scissors as my trimming shears. I got a scissor-sharpening tool at a hardware store to make sure they're as sharp as I can get them, and I've seen no split ends or problems in my hair that would have been caused by the scissors.

Oh but it *does* matter, especially if you do one-cuts and have iii hair. Better have very smooth cutting (*sharp*) shears. If you don't want to "saw" through the hair, it matters (sawing through hair means your scissors aren't sharp enough). A regular pair from the drugstore is not going to "cut it". Trust me, tried those, they are all ruined. Until I invested about €50 in a decent professional shear.

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 10:43 AM
^ That's an important point about avoiding "sawing" :agree:, but isn't it resolved by splitting hair in sections? For example, every time I had hair trimmed professionally, they used the right shears but still split my hair in 3 layers just to avoid the "sawing" through hair, and it still resulted in a blunt line cut. :hmm: This must be harder to do on self. :hmm:

Anje
August 31st, 2015, 10:55 AM
In my mind, professional hair shears are meant to last through a dozen daily cuts for years. Nothing I buy is going to cut as much hair in its life as a hairdresser cuts in a month. Or probably a week! So I feel no pressing need to have especially high-quality hair scissors. I've been perfectly happy with $10 Goody ones from a big-box store in the past, though I did upgrade to a nicer pair for about $20. Now if I could just get my husband to stop using them to trim his nose hair, I'd be thrilled.

DollyDagger
August 31st, 2015, 11:03 AM
In my mind, professional hair shears are meant to last through a dozen daily cuts for years. Nothing I buy is going to cut as much hair in its life as a hairdresser cuts in a month. Or probably a week! So I feel no pressing need to have especially high-quality hair scissors. I've been perfectly happy with $10 Goody ones from a big-box store in the past, though I did upgrade to a nicer pair for about $20. Now if I could just get my husband to stop using them to trim his nose hair, I'd be thrilled.
lol ..you must keep them under lock and key!

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 11:13 AM

:rollin: Anje! That's hilarious! After all, hair is hair! :p
But I bet if you show him your post, he'll remember to never use your scissors for that purpose! :lol:

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 11:14 AM
^ That's an important point about avoiding "sawing" :agree:, but isn't it resolved by splitting hair in sections? For example, every time I had hair trimmed professionally, they used the right shears but still split my hair in 3 layers just to avoid the "sawing" through hair, and it still resulted in a blunt line cut. :hmm: This must be harder to do on self. :hmm:

Nope, of course we tried splitting it into sections. The ponytail normally goes into 4 sections or is held flat between the fingers for cutting, and then each bit gets cut through, but the cheaper scissors still "sawed". The ones I have now are Japanese steel and definitely worth it! Japanese steel is like almost razor-blade sharp. Almost!

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 11:16 AM

Tell him, "Your coarse nose hair deregulates my scissors." ;)

Anje
August 31st, 2015, 11:16 AM
:rollin: Anje! That's hilarious! After all, hair is hair! :p
But I bet if you show him your post, he'll remember to never use your scissors for that purpose! :lol:
Oh, he knows I'm not particularly happy about it. Especially when he doesn't clean them!

I just bought him another set of mustache scissors. Maybe that'll keep him away from my hair scissors, until he misplaces them?

Tell him, "Your coarse nose hair deregulates my scissors." ;)
Unfortunately, the fact that I have used them occasionally to clean up his beard really undermines that argument. And holy crap, does that guy have coarse beard hair!

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 11:21 AM
Nope, of course we tried splitting it into sections. The ponytail normally goes into 4 sections or is held flat between the fingers for cutting, and then each bit gets cut through, but the cheaper scissors still "sawed". The ones I have now are Japanese steel and definitely worth it! Japanese steel is like almost razor-blade sharp. Almost!

^ Oh, great to know, thank you, lapushka! :D

I know some of those Japanese professional scissors can cost hundreds of dollars and more! :bigeyes: I have no idea where folks find professional but yet affordable scissors. Also, designs are so incredibly different, when I check online. How does one figure out which designs will be comfortable to use on self? Any guides for self-trimming scissors shopping out there? :)

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 12:10 PM
Any guides for self-trimming scissors shopping out there? :)

Here's one tip. Before I bought my "around" €50 (on the plus side) "Ultron" brand shears from a real hairdressing shop, I got a few pair off of e-bay claiming to be Japanese steel. Don't fall for it, if it's not from a regular hairdressing shop! No way, they sawed even worse than my regular drugstore pair. Don't think you can get cheap shears off of e-bay expecting them to be the real deal!

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 12:38 PM
^ Great! That's good to know, lapushka! Thank you! :flowers:

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 12:43 PM
You're welcome, meteor. My bad experience doesn't have to be anyone else's. :)

Arctic
August 31st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Mine were about 10 Euros from normal depeatment store, nothing fancy. I have been pleased with them, and they are years old, probably 4-5 years (and I use them more than many LHCers, only on hair). I (almost) always section my hair, into manageable sections, so there is not sawing problem.

Estrid
August 31st, 2015, 05:02 PM
Thank you all for the answers, suggestions and the bit of fun :redgrin: Quite refreshing!

I do think I want to invest a bit in a good scissor, even if it isn't necessary. I would feel calm knowing I am cutting my hair with something that is "good", + why not? Thank you for linking that site, lapushka :) Is there any possibility of getting it in english or will I have to find my way around without that luxury? I suppose I could, but every time I encounter a site that don't translate to english it feels like it won't allow international shipping, but I suppose it does (?).

About the sharpening tool that someone mentioned, would it be necessary if I bought a high quality scissor? How often would I have to care for it with something like that?

I saw fiskarns scissors mentioned....I've cut my hair with fiskarns scissor before (the universal one), I think I rather avoid that in the future even though it went alright! ;)

lapushka
September 1st, 2015, 03:59 PM
Thank you for linking that site, lapushka :) Is there any possibility of getting it in english or will I have to find my way around without that luxury? I suppose I could, but every time I encounter a site that don't translate to english it feels like it won't allow international shipping, but I suppose it does (?).

Well I don't know about the translating, but I could help you if you really want even though I don't know that if you should order how you are going to be able to check out without my help (and I can't get into your account, and would have to go through the ordering process somehow with you to translate - so that's impossible). They did ship from The Netherlands to Belgium but we are neighboring countries. I don't know about other countries, though. I think you might be better ordering from somewhere local to you, to be honest and from a site that at least has an English option!

Estrid
September 2nd, 2015, 01:13 PM
Well I don't know about the translating, but I could help you if you really want even though I don't know that if you should order how you are going to be able to check out without my help (and I can't get into your account, and would have to go through the ordering process somehow with you to translate - so that's impossible). They did ship from The Netherlands to Belgium but we are neighboring countries. I don't know about other countries, though. I think you might be better ordering from somewhere local to you, to be honest and from a site that at least has an English option!

Hmm, yeah. I will try to find another place that sells them :) I can see that amazon got some of them, so maybe that is the best option I got, else there are just a bunch of unknown sites.

lapushka
September 2nd, 2015, 03:30 PM
Hmm, yeah. I will try to find another place that sells them :) I can see that amazon got some of them, so maybe that is the best option I got, else there are just a bunch of unknown sites.

There have to be some international online hairshops out there that sell scissors.

Arctic
September 2nd, 2015, 03:52 PM
Use Google.se and try words like "professionell frisörsax" (engl. professional hair shears), I tried it and got tons of hits.

Estrid
September 2nd, 2015, 11:22 PM
There have to be some international online hairshops out there that sell scissors.

Use Google.se and try words like "professionell frisörsax" (engl. professional hair shears), I tried it and got tons of hits.

I have a hard time finding sites that I recognize, and about all of these sites have no review section so I have no way of knowing if it is a good site of not. Some of these sites (most of them) just write "professional scissor" with no name, maybe mention that it is striped... so I can't research if the scissor is good either.

Estrid
September 2nd, 2015, 11:29 PM
After looking some more it looks like "coolblades" or "salon-sales" will be the places to pick from, now I just have to decide for a scissor... But there is no need to hurry, so I'll just bookmark that site and think about it later :p

salon-sales are cheaper, but their site makes me want to hide.

lapushka
September 3rd, 2015, 02:50 AM
After looking some more it looks like "coolblades" or "salon-sales" will be the places to pick from, now I just have to decide for a scissor... But there is no need to hurry, so I'll just bookmark that site and think about it later :p

salon-sales are cheaper, but their site makes me want to hide.

Anyone per chance have a good international online hairsupply store bookmarked?

Estrid
September 10th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Seems like salon-sales are not international after all, the card one uses must be registered on an UK adress, so now it got easy: coolblades it is.