PDA

View Full Version : are you a hair whisperer

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 07:58 PM
How does your hair speak to you...:) ?

how do you know what its in need of...

when it needs moisture what are the signs, when it needs protein what are the signs, when it needs __________ what are the signs...

how do you listen?... and make it shuddup aka remedy the situation..

T.I.A
DD:blossom:

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 08:15 PM
He-he, cute topic! ;)

Personally, I don't think I "read" my hair's needs that well, otherwise I wouldn't have any tangles or any hair concerns, I guess. Sometimes my hair reacts strangely to some products, but, overall, I actually have fewer and fewer predictability issues with greater length (it just acts like a blanket now :lol:), whereas it was more unpredictable when I had layers and when it was shorter and wavier.

I do notice if my hair needs more moisture (when it gets a bit static-y, tangle-prone, less shiny) - so an SMT and oiling are perfect at those times.
And I do recommend the snap test (stretching a few hair strands to see if they are stretchy/gummy (i.e. need protein) or brittle and snap too quickly (i.e. need moisture, elasticity).

But I have heard of expression "curl whisperers" (about Ouidad, Devacurl and natural curl gurus), which I think is a very apt description :) : curls can sometimes be played up and other times seem hard to bring out (humidity, products, styling, etc)... so they do seem to benefit from that extra skill & knowledge to make them behave exactly the way you want them to. :magic:

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 08:23 PM
He-he, cute topic! ;)

Personally, I don't think I "read" my hair's needs that well, otherwise I wouldn't have any tangles or any hair concerns, I guess. Sometimes my hair reacts strangely to some products, but, overall, I actually have fewer and fewer predictability issues with greater length (it just acts like a blanket now :lol:), whereas it was more unpredictable when I had layers and when it was shorter and wavier.

I do notice if my hair needs more moisture (when it gets a bit static-y, tangle-prone, less shiny) - so an SMT and oiling are perfect at those times.
And I do recommend the snap test (stretching a few hair strands to see if they are stretchy/gummy (i.e. need protein) or brittle and snap too quickly (i.e. need moisture, elasticity).

But I have heard of expression "curl whisperers" (about Ouidad, Devacurl and natural curl gurus), which I think is a very apt description :) : curls can sometimes be played up and other times seem hard to bring out (humidity, products, styling, etc)... so they do seem to benefit from that extra skill & knowledge to make them behave exactly the way you want them to. :magic:

you are our investigative sleuthing sciencey hair whisperer meteor! ..seriously :flower:

a blanket of hair sounds great! :)

for sure about curls too...i have fragile curls that can be played up and cajoled...:) in my pic under my profile is just conditioner only ..but a night of sleeping can pull them right out..

the snap test.hmm... i cant stretch my hair too much ..it seems to snap easily kind of when i try..but then over moisturizing leaves curls so limp.. its such a fine line to find the balance.

FallingDarkness
August 30th, 2015, 08:28 PM
My hair yells at me with its tangles and its dry ends when it wants me to clarify or use more cones.
It gets suddenly greasy when it disapproves of my attempt to CO.
When it loses its obnoxious amounts of volume, I know it is finally time to wash it lol

I STILL CAN'T DETERMINE WHEN MY HAIR NEEDS PROTEIN. So it just never gets it lolz

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM
My hair yells at me with its tangles and its dry ends when it wants me to clarify or use more cones.
When it loses its obnoxious amounts of volume, I know it is finally time to wash it lol

I STILL CAN'T DETERMINE WHEN MY HAIR NEEDS PROTEIN. So it just never gets it lolz

lol...termpermental hair !

my hair probably cries..QUIT WASHING ME...(*&^%! ..Im trying im trying..workin on that :P

QUIT OILING ME SO MUCH...WHAT DO I LOOK LIKE A PISTON..FOR THE LOVE OF GAWWWWWWWWD.hehehhe

Seeshami
August 30th, 2015, 08:35 PM
No we talk and yell at each other.

The naughty mess says, "you are not allowed to raise your voice to me."

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 08:38 PM
No we talk and yell at each other.

The naughty mess says, "you are not allowed to raise your voice to me."

hehe... im the boss...NO IM THE BOSS...no im the boss...

:argue:

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 08:40 PM
apparently my scalp has something to say when im trying to stretch wash..(a measly 3-4 days..pfft ) it starts whining in pain..wah wah..cry baby achey scalp..man up

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 08:48 PM
you are our investigative sleuthing sciencey hair whisperer meteor! ..seriously :flower:

a blanket of hair sounds great! :)

for sure about curls too...i have fragile curls that can be played up and cajoled...:) in my pic under my profile is just conditioner only ..but a night of sleeping can pull them right out..

the snap test.hmm... i cant stretch my hair too much ..it seems to snap easily kind of when i try..but then over moisturizing leaves curls so limp.. its such a fine line to find the balance.

DollyDagger, you are too kind! Nah, I'm just like babbling a lot about hair, he-he!

The "blanket" factor probably happens to everyone after a certain length (especially if it's a cut without layers). :)

Just saw your profile picture and wow, your curls are so amazing, DollyDagger! :thud: You are doing a great job with "curl whispering"! :applause

Oh, if your hair is virgin or low-porosity or M/C or C, there is a great chance that you don't need any hydrolyzed protein at all! ;)

It's difficult to miss that moment when hair is clearly crying out for a lot of hydrolyzed proteins: it will act really strange when wet - a bit stretchy, seaweed-like, shapeless, gummy... very common after a chemical treatment gone wrong (e.g. too many dye jobs), in those unlucky moments, it really needs patch-repair ASAP, added structure, "scaffolding", "hardening", for lack of a better word. And proteins provide that (temporarily).

Sometimes hair can get gummy when over-oiled, too, then it's enough just to clarify, but I also like to throw in some proteins - and it helps! :)

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 08:50 PM
apparently my scalp has something to say when im trying to stretch wash..(a measly 3-4 days..pfft ) it starts whining in pain..wah wah..cry baby achey scalp..man up

Yup! I get that too. :agree: It usually means I used a shampoo or cleansing method that was too mild for me, and I should do a scalp-only wash if I don't have time for a full wash.
I don't like keeping scalp unhappy (it can invite dandruff, for example).

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 08:54 PM
thanx so much :) meteor...:blossom: and no..you totally know your stuff ~with the studies and links to back it up and the passion to absorb and share it all

my curls like my length and my silvers are all work in progress..:)

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Yup! I get that too. :agree: It usually means I used a shampoo or cleansing method that was too mild for me, and I should do a scalp-only wash if I don't have time for a full wash.
I don't like keeping scalp unhappy (it can invite dandruff, for example).

it happened to me just the other day and only once ever before..i recently changed my part so maybe thats also why..but it felt bruised ..such a weird feeling. No dandruff or oiliness or anything like that.

FallingDarkness
August 30th, 2015, 09:28 PM
meteor, I never knew that! My hair IS virgin so that's good news! :D TY for the lovely information

DollyDagger
August 30th, 2015, 09:42 PM
^
case in point...see!!
:eye::magic:
meteor whisperer strikes again :)

RainbowBowser
August 30th, 2015, 09:56 PM
My follicles scream at me in pain when I'm finally due for a wash :P
Otherwise, the tell-tale signs tend to be reflected in the strands.
Too much protein = brittle hair
Not enough protein = weak spots in the hair (not necessarily broken but theres a tiny thin spot likely from movement/abuse)
The hair harasses me in the face when I'm doing chores and remind me to put it up :P

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 10:04 PM
He-he, DollyDagger, you are super-sweet! :smooch:

FallingDarkness, no problem! :heartbeat Happy to be of any help! :D

And by the way, I should add links to NaturalHavenBloom and Science-y Hair Blog because I think they both explain tricky proteins very well :) :

1) On sizes of different proteins and when they can be useful - http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2013/09/more-about-protein.html

2) More on size - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html

3) Diagrams and why protein makes hair hard temporarily - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/protein-conditioners-for-hair-part-2-of_03.html
"The hydrolysed protein will be attracted to hair and conditioner tends to deposit better in regions of damage ( Journal of Cosmetic Science, pg 265-279, 2004). For natural hair, damage to the cuticle can come from heat, combing, washing, manipulation etc. This is likely to lead to cracked, chipped or missing cuticles. For those who colour treat their hair with permanent colour (not henna! (http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/search/label/Henna)) then the cuticle is likely to be damaged by the lifting process needed to get the dye into the hair shaft (Chemical and Engineering News, pg 52, 2000)."

4) How protein can actually help moisturize hair (it acts like a humectant) - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/03/moisture-issue-proteins-and-moisture.html

Twinkletoes21
August 30th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Meteor, you mentioned a SMT. How often do you do one?

Seeshami
August 30th, 2015, 10:16 PM
hehe... im the boss...NO IM THE BOSS...no im the boss...

:argue:

No he's just the boss. It's not worth it to argue with him

ravenreed
August 30th, 2015, 10:18 PM
My hair doesn't whisper, it screams loudly. I am able to tell what it likes and what it doesn't very clearly. My scalp is much the same. Unfortunately, they are like an old married couple that like to bicker and seldom agree on what the best method is. I have to appease them separately. The good news is that they are fairly easy to keep happy.

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Meteor, you mentioned a SMT. How often do you do one?

I don't have a set schedule. I like them in winter-time in steamy shower (because SMTs are humectant-rich so they draw moisture to hair in high humidity). I tend to leave out aloe but add oils, but that's just me. :)

Also, I like SMT + gelatin for a DIY protein treatment, because it never dries out my hair (and we know how proteins can feel drying/stiffening, which is why they should be followed by moisture).
My formula is: 1 packet of Knox gelatin + 1/4 cup hot water + 1/2 conditioner + 1 tbsp of honey + 1 tsp of oils (coconut or olive, usually). I do this rarely, on ad hoc basis, when I've neglected hair for too long. This stuff is very YMMV. ;)

No he's just the boss. It's not worth it to argue with him

He-he! :lol: I bet! Who could argue with His Highness, The Naughty Mess? ;)

My hair doesn't whisper, it screams loudly. I am able to tell what it likes and what it doesn't very clearly. My scalp is much the same. Unfortunately, they are like an old married couple that like to bicker and seldom agree on what the best method is. I have to appease them separately. The good news is that they are fairly easy to keep happy.

:lol: LOL, ravenreed! :lol: Old married couple is such a perfect metaphor for scalp & hair! ;)

Seeshami
August 30th, 2015, 10:34 PM
The naughty mess says, "she's a liar. She argues with me all the time"

Twinkletoes21
August 30th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the SMT/protein info! It is so helpful to learn how everyone tweaks their processes and listens to their hair.

Jo Ann
August 30th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Here in Florida, I have finally FINALLY found a way that works with my hair!

Watch...everything will change as soon as November/December comes around, and there's less humidity in the air...and the hunt will be on again for a way to make the Hallowed Hair happy... <---insert suspicious look here

ravenreed
August 31st, 2015, 12:45 AM
Glad I am not the only one. My goodness, it can be difficult to figure out how to make everyone happy!

:lol: LOL, ravenreed! :lol: Old married couple is such a perfect metaphor for scalp & hair! ;)

restless
August 31st, 2015, 02:36 AM
Actually, we dont talk so much these days. In the past I tried to tame my hair with all these styling gels, sprays and lots of heat... and it disagreed strongly by getting dry, thin and broken. During the years Ive been here in the forum (first as a long time lurker and later on as a member) Ive learnt that less is more when it comes to my hair. Its generally happy with a simple shampoo/conditioner/coconut oil routine. Sure, my wurls are still all over the place, but its just the nature of my hair and its not supposed to be any different. The waves and curls sometimes straighten out a bit if Ive used some shampoo/conditioner with lots of cones, but I solve that by clarifying and then we´re good to go again.

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 05:08 AM
Since I found a routine that works for me, my hair pretty much shuts up. :lol:

diddiedaisy
August 31st, 2015, 05:16 AM
In a word? No. I am however in training to become one. ;)

Johannah
August 31st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Almost. I'm really close. :rolling: Until now this is my theory, I just need to verify it throughout the years. ;) By the way, meteor if you read this: feel free to correct me if something in my theory isn't correct. You're better in these things than I am :p

My hair is (or at least acts like it is) low porous. It doesn't like to let moisture in so using oils and creams as a leave-in is a waste of time, as well as using thick conditioners and hair masks because I just cannot succeed washing them out. All four will just sit on top of my hair and do nothing except making it feel weird and greasy. As a consequence, I have build-up pretty fast and will never be able to go SLS-free. This is why I'm using a normal SLS shampoo.
For moisturizing my hair, I base my routines on humectants. Humectants are ingredients which are moisturizing because they attract water molecules out of the environment. My hair loves hydrolyzed keratin, glycerin and gelatin (which is partly hydrolyzed collagen) best. This is why I use a kind of watery conditioner which contains a lot of hydrolyzed keratin every time I wash my hair. It also contains cones which I need to reduce tangles. Afterwards I use a detangler-spray on wet hair which contains even more humectants (a lot of glycerin, glycols and hydrolyzed keratin).
If I want a big treatment for my hair, I use the gelatin treatment. Off course this is a big portion of protein (strength) for my hair and makes it stiff so I need a more moisturizing (elasticity) treatment afterwards to compensate. For this I use a conditioner with a lot of glycerin, but without any protein to do the trick. I also have found some drugstore hair masks with a lot of glycerin and they tend to work as well.

Last winter, especially when it started freezing, I noticed humectants didn't work anymore for my hair (because they start doing the opposite: drawing moisture out of my hair. I didn't know about humectants back then, but I noticed products which contained a lot of glycerin made my hair really dry and oils started to make my hair soft and shiny back again. Now it all makes sense). Next winter, I'll still use my normal shampoo and conditioner, but replace my detangler-spray with a serum and my gelatin treatment with a heavy pre-shampoo oiling (both anti-humectants).

DollyDagger
August 31st, 2015, 09:17 AM
Actually, we dont talk so much these days. In the past I tried to tame my hair with all these styling gels, sprays and lots of heat... and it disagreed strongly by getting dry, thin and broken. During the years Ive been here in the forum (first as a long time lurker and later on as a member) Ive learnt that less is more when it comes to my hair. Its generally happy with a simple shampoo/conditioner/coconut oil routine. Sure, my wurls are still all over the place, but its just the nature of my hair and its not supposed to be any different. The waves and curls sometimes straighten out a bit if Ive used some shampoo/conditioner with lots of cones, but I solve that by clarifying and then we´re good to go again.
I hope you make up and let bygones be bygones..:) and forge a wonderful new cooperative and loving relastionship.. and ya..wurls are nuts..never the same head of hair twice ..i know the feeling :)

youve :whip: it into submission...good :)

In a word? No. I am however in training to become one. ;)
lol..me too :)

Almost. I'm really close. :rolling: Until now this is my theory, I just need to verify it throughout the years. ;) By the way, meteor if you read this: feel free to correct me if something in my theory isn't correct. You're better in these things than I am :p

My hair is (or at least acts like it is) low porous. It doesn't like to let moisture in so using oils and creams as a leave-in is a waste of time, as well as using thick conditioners and hair masks because I just cannot succeed washing them out. All four will just sit on top of my hair and do nothing except making it feel weird and greasy. As a consequence, I have build-up pretty fast and will never be able to go SLS-free. This is why I'm using a normal SLS shampoo.
For moisturizing my hair, I base my routines on humectants. Humectants are ingredients which are moisturizing because they attract water molecules out of the environment. My hair loves hydrolyzed keratin, glycerin and gelatin (which is partly hydrolyzed collagen) best. This is why I use a kind of watery conditioner which contains a lot of hydrolyzed keratin every time I wash my hair. It also contains cones which I need to reduce tangles. Afterwards I use a detangler-spray on wet hair which contains even more humectants (a lot of glycerin, glycols and hydrolyzed keratin).
If I want a big treatment for my hair, I use the gelatin treatment. Off course this is a big portion of protein (strength) for my hair and makes it stiff so I need a more moisturizing (elasticity) treatment afterwards to compensate. For this I use a conditioner with a lot of glycerin, but without any protein to do the trick. I also have found some drugstore hair masks with a lot of glycerin and they tend to work as well.

Last winter, especially when it started freezing, I noticed humectants didn't work anymore for my hair (because they start doing the opposite: drawing moisture out of my hair. I didn't know about humectants back then, but I noticed products which contained a lot of glycerin made my hair really dry and oils started to make my hair soft and shiny back again. Now it all makes sense). Next winter, I'll still use my normal shampoo and conditioner, but replace my detangler-spray with a serum and my gelatin treatment with a heavy pre-shampoo oiling (both anti-humectants).
Very interesting adjustments and theories...it sounds like your solving the puzzle.

DollyDagger
August 31st, 2015, 09:20 AM
Glad I am not the only one. My goodness, it can be difficult to figure out how to make everyone happy!
sure can..:)

Here in Florida, I have finally FINALLY found a way that works with my hair!

Watch...everything will change as soon as November/December comes around, and there's less humidity in the air...and the hunt will be on again for a way to make the Hallowed Hair happy... <---insert suspicious look here

lol..i have to worry about 4 distinct seasons up here..!

Ephemia
August 31st, 2015, 10:17 AM
I've just figured out why my hair moaned every time I tried to put it into a bun. I thought I wasn't combing it well enough, but it turns out I was combing it too well - I just have to run my fingers over my scalp a little afterwards, and then it doesn't pull. Well, if that's what you want, hair.

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 10:30 AM

:lol: Awesome! :thumbsup:
Isn't it absolute bliss once you've found that perfect routine?

Is it very dry in winter-time there? Does your hair ever get static-y in winter?
If so, have you tried LOC and, more generally, leave-ins and oils on wet/damp hair (to "seal" moisture).
Occlusives/anti-humectants create a permeable "barrier", which tends to be good in dryness (applied on wet/damp hair to slow down moisture loss). ;)

:agree: Oh, I agree 100%! This makes a lot of sense to me, and I really love your plan for next winter, by the way! :thumbsup: Personally, I also dislike any heavy, greasy stuff in summertime, but I have to change it up every winter: I replace proteins and humectant-rich treatments (SMT, honey rinses, etc) with oils, cones and butters. Pre-poo oiling becomes very helpful, and so does LOC... Also, in winter-time, I can stretch washes more and I prefer more emollient, occlusive conditioners and I can go for milder shampoos (often marketed "moisturizing" or "conditioning" or "for dry or damaged hair" or "for daily use"). And skin is even more under attack than hair. But we have really cold and super-dry winters here and strong seasonal changes. (Note: these adjustments likely wouldn't make sense in the tropics, for example :) ).

Johannah
August 31st, 2015, 10:46 AM
:lol: Awesome! :thumbsup:
Isn't it absolute bliss once you've found that perfect routine?

Is it very dry in winter-time there? Does your hair ever get static-y in winter?
If so, have you tried LOC and, more generally, leave-ins and oils on wet/damp hair (to "seal" moisture).
Occlusives/anti-humectants create a permeable "barrier", which tends to be good in dryness (applied on wet/damp hair to slow down moisture loss). ;)

:agree: Oh, I agree 100%! This makes a lot of sense to me, and I really love your plan for next winter, by the way! :thumbsup: Personally, I also dislike any heavy, greasy stuff in summertime, but I have to change it up every winter: I replace proteins and humectant-rich treatments (SMT, honey rinses, etc) with oils, cones and butters. Pre-poo oiling becomes very helpful, and so does LOC... Also, in winter-time, I can stretch washes more and I prefer more emollient, occlusive conditioners and I can go for milder shampoos (often marketed "moisturizing" or "conditioning" or "for dry or damaged hair" or "for daily use"). And skin is even more under attack than hair. But we have really cold and super-dry winters here and strong seasonal changes. (Note: these adjustments likely wouldn't make sense in the tropics, for example :) ).

It feels good to have some sort of a confirmation ;) In winter I also CO once a week (to get the oil out) which helps a lot as well. It's possible to CO if I wash my hair once a week with a normal SLS shampoo, so that's nice for winter as well. Also, what do you mean with more emollient, occlusive conditioners? :flower:

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 11:01 AM
^ :agree: Oh yes, I think CO-washing makes a lot of sense, especially in dry winter, if the scalp tolerates it and there aren't any build-up issues, why not?

For me, a typical occlusive conditioner is one which has heavy cones, oils very high up on the ingredients list, it typically smooths out frizz and static but can make hair limp if overused. Many salon brands make those for chemically treated hair.

And among drug store products, I think I'd name HE Hello Hydration, Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser and Sleek & Shine, John Frieda Full Repair......

Johannah
August 31st, 2015, 11:28 AM
^ :agree: Oh yes, I think CO-washing makes a lot of sense, especially in dry winter, if the scalp tolerates it and there aren't any build-up issues, why not?

For me, a typical occlusive conditioner is one which has heavy cones, oils very high up on the ingredients list, it typically smooths out frizz and static but can make hair limp if overused. Many salon brands make those for chemically treated hair.

And among drug store products, I think I'd name HE Hello Hydration, Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser and Sleek & Shine, John Frieda Full Repair......

Thank you for your explanation! Now you're mentioning heavy cones... Maybe I could replace my conditioner with a mask from the same line. It's not really a mask, but actually almost the same as the conditioner with more cones. I'm going to save this page so I can check out those drug store products when it's winter. ;)

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 11:38 AM
^ Awesome! :D But I should mention that I have hair with bleached highlights on ends and they tend to be dry, so I naturally go for heavier cones, so this may easily be too heavy for virgin hair. (Virgin hair sometimes doesn't like any cones.) Products are very YMMV, as always. :flower:

Johannah
August 31st, 2015, 12:09 PM
^ Awesome! :D But I should mention that I have hair with bleached highlights on ends and they tend to be dry, so I naturally go for heavier cones, so this may easily be too heavy for virgin hair. (Virgin hair sometimes doesn't like any cones.) Products are very YMMV, as always. :flower:

So do I ;) I'm just going to try some things and I'll notice what works and what doesn't. :flower:

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 12:21 PM
^ Great to know, Johannah! :D My highlighted ends love proteins, some oils and cones, for example - I think it's normal, they must be more porous, of course. ;)

I think it's fun to experiment with routines/products and tweak them for changing needs and seasons. :thumbsup:

Jo Ann
August 31st, 2015, 02:24 PM
Yes! And YES!

Right now, I WCC, then use a cocoanut serum and a cocoanut anti-hair breakage cream right after I towel dry my hair; I follow up with argan oil either the next day or the day after. I've been following this routine for a couple of months now and my hair LOVES it! I'll start by using argan oil daily (I either bun or sleep braid my hair after I apply it) when it starts misbehaving...I might have to change out my shampoo and go with one that's more moisture-heavy (probably a cocoanut milk based one) as the humidity lessens. I'm hoping that, as long as I keep the basic routine, changing out one item might take care of the season change.

Hair care--it's not just a job, it's an adventure... :)

meteor
August 31st, 2015, 02:35 PM
^ I think that's a really great plan, Jo Ann, especially with introduction of only one thing at a time. :thumbsup:

(And if by chance at any point it becomes too much (e.g. lank or coated effect), it will be easy enough to clarify and/or go easier on moisture-heavy products. ;) )

Hair care--it's not just a job, it's an adventure... :)

He-he! Well said! :agree:

Jo Ann
August 31st, 2015, 07:41 PM
It seems the sanest thing to do, Meteor, and one thing I need in my life is sanity... :cool: