PDA

View Full Version : all about blow drying

DollyDagger
August 29th, 2015, 11:01 AM
hello all,
Ive been mostly airdrying for the past couple of years..i rarely blow dry but i just got a diffuser for my birthday this month and so ive been blow drying the roots a little bit :) With cooler weather on the horizon im wondering all about blow drying-

Do any of you still blowdrys..?

if so how often?

Do you use a heat protectant?

Do you ever use a hotter heat setting or always on cool?

Do you use a diffuser or concentrated nozzle?

Do you use a brush at all...like a blowout?

Do you concentrate on scalp area or allover?

Do you dry immediately after washing....halfway through ...or towards the end of drying time?

and .....anything else about blow drying :)

T.I.A
DD:blossom:

iYaap
August 29th, 2015, 11:10 AM
I blowdry once a week on a lukewarm setting after a wash all over. It is really just a soft breeze I can set. Can't imagine that this would damage my hair it has to stand some warmth anyway. It even feels good afterwards, so.

Arctic
August 29th, 2015, 11:13 AM
I've typed the same things plenty of times before but here we go.

Yes, I do and so does several other members.

if so how often?

Depends a lot, at best it's almost daily. Currently I am "between blowdriers" and have been showering more in the evenings, so I haven't been blowdrying lately.

I don't really believe in them. I think many of my styling products contain heat prtectant, but on every day drying I won't use a specific one. I do have a bottle of specific heat protectant, but use it extremely rarely.

I never use hot, I use warm and cool.

Both

Yes, but I only do this for special occasions.

Depends how I plan to wear my hair and how much time I have. If in hurry and/or planning a bun, then I might do a scalp only drying

Do you dry immediately after washing....halfway through ...or towards the end of drying time?

Quite soon after washing, because if I want my cowlicks to be tamed, the deed needs to be done with very wet hair. If I wouldn't have cowlicks, I would dry when my hair would be only damp.

Nope :)

spidermom
August 29th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I do blow dry when I feel like it. No particular schedule. I use the warm setting around the scalp, cool on the length. I use my shower comb to control my hair until it's nearly dry and tangle free. Then I switch to my paddle brush to finish. I do use a heat protection spray most of the time, but more for how it smooths my hair than for heat protection since I never use the hot setting.

I remember reading somewhere that if you can blast the air on the skin of your neck from 1 inch away and it doesn't burn, it's a good temperature for your hair.

DollyDagger
August 29th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I remember reading somewhere that if you can blast the air on the skin of your neck from 1 inch away and it doesn't burn, it's a good temperature for your hair.
good tip to keep in mind..:)

Radioduck
August 29th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I try to avoid blow drying as much as I can, but I use it when in a hurry, if I wash my hair right before bed, or when I simply don't want to wait for a couple of hours for it to dry. It's usually once or a few times per month. I don't use a heat protectant, but I try to blow dry at a low or medium temperature. I never use it cool, though, because that doesn't really affect my hair as fast as I want it to.

Klaudia
August 29th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Do any of you still blowdrys..? Yes, I do. Once I got dandruff because i let it air dry, while it was too cold. Now I blow dry, when it isn't warm enough.

if so how often? Usually on washdays, every fourth day.

Do you use a heat protectant? Yes, if my leave-in conditioner counts as one.

Do you ever use a hotter heat setting or always on cool? I use the lowest hotter one.

Do you use a diffuser or concentrated nozzle? I use neither a diffuser, nor concentrated nozzle. I'm thinking about buying a diffuser.

Do you use a brush at all...like a blowout? I don't use because I don't style.

Do you concentrate on scalp area or allover? I concentrate on my scalp.

Do you dry immediately after washing....halfway through ...or towards the end of drying time? First I towel-dry for ~15 minutes. After that I dry my scalp. I let the rest airdry. :)

and .....anything else about blow drying I hate blow drying, but I do everything to keep my scalp healthy. :p And it looks like it's working.

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Yep.

if so how often?

Once a week, after washing.

Nope.

Cool to warm. If you can hold your hand in the airstream without it burning, it is okay to use on the hair.

Diffuser.

Nope. No. I always try and preserve my wave pattern.

Head is divided into 4 sections for diffusing. Top. Back. 2 sides. Every part gets 30 seconds to a minute of drying time.

Hair is put up in a turbie for 15-20min. first, then it is allowed to airdry for 1H, 1H30min. then it gets diffused.

Nope. Just wanted to say. It's not bad if used wisely. Just like with anything else. Moderation. And a cool to warm setting. And if you do a blowout, and you must use a paddle brush, just blow it dry on its own until about almost dry, then go through it with a paddle brush (don't start from sopping wet hair with your brush).

snowbear1005
August 29th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Do any of you still blowdrys..? Yes.

if so how often? 2-3 times a week after washing

Do you use a heat protectant? Yes, it also makes my hair smoother and softer

Do you ever use a hotter heat setting or always on cool? Hot (my bad, I know)

Do you use a diffuser or concentrated nozzle? No, but I probably should. Might help it from getting frizzy

Do you use a brush at all...like a blowout? I try, but I'm not good at it.

Do you concentrate on scalp area or allover? All over

Do you dry immediately after washing....halfway through ...or towards the end of drying time? Depends on how much time I have. I like it to be at least half way dry. Sometimes, if I take a shower and wash my hair at night, I'll just let it air dry but I prefer the smoothness I get with blow drying.

SnottyDotty
August 29th, 2015, 01:48 PM

Occasionally, but yes.

if so how often?

Not at all between, approximately, March and October. About once a week during colder months. I might use it when I need to get my hair dry quickly before a special occasion but that's a very rare situation.

Nah I tried heat protectants and noticed no improvement compared to when I haven't used them, so I didn't see the point. Also left a weird filmy coating on my hands and hair which I didn't appreciate.

On cool, occasionally on warm. The hot setting is reserved for my body post-shower :D

Both. Depends on if I want to accentuate my waves or if I want a straighter look.

No, I just fingercomb it a little.

I will blowdry all over. I don't spend much time blowdrying my hair, see below :)

I'll let my hair air dry for about an hour, then I'll blowdry lightly, just enough before bed so my hair doesn't make me cold during the night. So I actively dry about halfway through.

I'm a big wuss when it comes to being cold so I use dryers to stop that happening more than I do for actually drying/styling my hair. Unless, as previously mentioned, I'm short for time and have a special event to go to that day but I usually plan ahead for situation like that anyway.

Also I think I should mention that my limited use of a hair dryer is not because I think they're particularly damaging or bad for hair. It's just because I am incredibly low maintenance (read: lazy) and wont dedicate time to hair drying unless absolutely necessary ;)

DollyDagger
August 29th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Nope. Just wanted to say. It's not bad if used wisely. Just like with anything else. Moderation. And a cool to warm setting. And if you do a blowout, and you must use a paddle brush, just blow it dry on its own until about almost dry, then go through it with a paddle brush (don't start from sopping wet hair with your brush).

lapushka Ive always been so terrible (and hesistant to try in earnest) to blow out with the round boar bristle brushes like the hair dressers use.Thnx for tip about the paddle brush..that might work...if i want looser waveys. I cant believe how aggressively some stylist use heat and tension..Steam coming off your hair as they tug and pull and roll and blast with heat..yikes. Glad i never became a habitual weekly blow-out bar gal.

DollyDagger
August 29th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I'm a big wuss when it comes to being cold so I use dryers to stop that happening more than I do for actually drying/styling my hair. Unless, as previously mentioned, I'm short for time and have a special event to go to that day but I usually plan ahead for situation like that anyway.

Ive seen some people mention using a space heater..Not too close of course..just positioning it so it aims at your hair. that might alleviate the cold factor.

SnottyDotty
August 29th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Ive seen some people mention using a space heater..Not too close of course..just positioning it so it aims at your hair. that might alleviate the cold factor.

I've seen a few longhairs mention space heaters and I'm tempted to get one. I'll see how my budget looks in a couple of months time and might purchase one :)

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 03:16 PM
lapushka Ive always been so terrible (and hesistant to try in earnest) to blow out with the round boar bristle brushes like the hair dressers use.Thnx for tip about the paddle brush..that might work...if i want looser waveys. I cant believe how aggressively some stylist use heat and tension..Steam coming off your hair as they tug and pull and roll and blast with heat..yikes. Glad i never became a habitual weekly blow-out bar gal.

A round BBB is nice as well, but I hate it for wavy hair, hair "sticks" on it too much and it pulls. I preferred the vented brushes or paddle brushes more. But I always blew it dry in the wild until 80-90% dry, then that last bit with a brush. It doesn't put that much strain on wet hair.

nalgena
August 29th, 2015, 04:12 PM
sometimes

if so how often?
I occasionally blow dry in the winter and when I'm in the hurry. Previously, I went almost a whole year without blow drying

no

I usually use medium heat for about a minute or less and then cool

diffuser

no

usually scalp

towards the end or halfway through

and .....anything else about blow drying