PDA

View Full Version : Changes in hair caused by medications?

tigereye
August 29th, 2015, 03:11 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm a 1c, and pretty much always have had relatively fine hairs, but thick hair overall. A year and a half ago I went on the mini-pill, because I could no longer stay on the combined pill because my brother had a stroke and they were giving me migraines, but I needed something to calm down my periods. Well, it was great, except it caused a massive shed.
Six months later, I went on another medication, which the doctor took me off after 5 months. But while I was on it, I had another huge shed. By the time both these sheds were over, and the stress-sheds in between from exams, Id lost a quarter of my ponytail circumference, which worked out to 40% of the area.

Now, the only med I'm on is the mini pill, and the hair is growing back in, but it feels different - the strands feel coarser, and wavier, which means for the first time, I've to try and deal with them frizzing all over the place- at least until the third or so day after washing, when they start to lie down themselves. They're about 6 inches long, and I have a halo of them that is in pretty stark contrast to my straighter length.
I wonder if it will change back when I come off the mini-pill?

Has anybody else noticed their hair change on medications?

elea
August 29th, 2015, 06:20 AM
I lost between 1/3 and half my hair when I had to change my meds after a flare-up (spinal cord damaged); pain-killers.
It grows back and the curls take some time to find their pace; but yes, change in meds > hair does a back-flip.

rags
August 29th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I have recently gone through a second huge shed caused partially by meds (it started with the medication, then my anemia got into the act too. I lost a LOT of hair). I've also had many smaller medication induced sheds through the years also. In my experience, my hair grows back wavier every time I have a larger shed. The first one was before I joined here in 2008 - and my hair has never gone back to the 1b hair I had before.

I currently have the beginnings of a regrowth halo from my second largest shed either too. I feel your pain! But those hairs will eventually settle back down at least (mine are only an inch or two long and sticking straight up right now. I look like a hedgehog! :lol: ).

Personally, I'm just glad it's growing back!!

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 07:26 AM
I'm on quite a few meds to say the least, including pain relief, but it just does not affect my hair in any way, shape, or form. :shrug: I don't know... I did go through a massive (almost balding) shed when I went through puberty, though. But that corrected itself after a year, and grew back in slowly. By the time I was 18 I was all right, even though at 16 tiny bits had filled back up nicely (and I was satisfied enough).

rags
August 29th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Lapushka, I take lots of meds that don't affect my hair much at all. It's only certain ones that affect it - and they clearly have hair loss, brittle hair, etc listed as side effects.

tigereye
August 29th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I've been on other meds too, but the two I mentioned have hair loss clearly listed as side effects too.

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Lapushka, I take lots of meds that don't affect my hair much at all. It's only certain ones that affect it - and they clearly have hair loss, brittle hair, etc listed as side effects.

That's tough, rags! It really is. Aren't there alternatives for the ones you're taking? Ones that don't have those side-effects? Maybe ask your doctor to look into it? Or maybe you've already done that. I don't know...

rags
August 31st, 2015, 12:43 PM
That's tough, rags! It really is. Aren't there alternatives for the ones you're taking? Ones that don't have those side-effects? Maybe ask your doctor to look into it? Or maybe you've already done that. I don't know...

No there really aren't, and yes it sucks. Luckily we've been able to get my dose down, which has helped a lot, as has getting iron infusions for the anemia. I am allergic to the only other drug that would work, sadly. :(

Tigereye, good luck in learning to deal with you new texture. At least it's regrowing! . :flowers:

lapushka
August 31st, 2015, 02:08 PM
No there really aren't, and yes it sucks. Luckily we've been able to get my dose down, which has helped a lot, as has getting iron infusions for the anemia. I am allergic to the only other drug that would work, sadly. :(

Oh darn. Wishing you lots of strength to deal with this!!! :) :flower:

Groovy Granny
August 31st, 2015, 02:29 PM
I know you should be careful with coloring when on heavy meds...been there :p

A nurse friend/stylist (yes she was licensed) FRIED my hair just as I hit 50.

I was very ill and on dozens of meds...and this one time after I went in for a routine color boost ...it turned GREEN (was blonde) and became brittle/broke from my waist to APL :shocked:

She wanted to give me 'color correcting drops'....uhhh :nono:

I went to a salon who had to chop me back to chin length, and thankfully was able to re-dye it to match my root color (dark blond/light brown).

My family was in shock LOL but I was actually happy to see my real color are 20 years....just in time to turn 50 :happydance:

I never colored again....and told her where to put her license :mad

Good luck ~ happy growing :blossom:

*RAGS (((Hugs))) and prayers!!