PDA

View Full Version : Professional Hair

FrozenBritannia
August 28th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I have been a member here for many years, from pixie to tailbone and all the stages inbetween. Now I am facing some life changes as well as increasingly obvious hair changes, and am considering my options.

In short, I will be going back to work. I currently have nearly tailbone hair, that is wavy, with the last part of my undegrowth coming out very curly. I have 'bedhead' no matter what I do. My hair is virgin and will not hold a heat style. I do not like wearing updos every day. As such, I am thinking of cutting some inches off, to better integrate my curly sections in the hopes they snarl less, which will enable me to wear my hair down and still look office professional.

The hair:

undergrowth curls:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/Hairtwo/B8F5697F-1EED-4A94-9150-C2B1E4D1110E.jpg (http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/FrozenBritannia/media/hair/Hairtwo/B8F5697F-1EED-4A94-9150-C2B1E4D1110E.jpg.html)

these are natural, untouched, and super grabby.

The usual hair:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/Hairtwo/B12537BD-DDC0-4AE1-B9CA-565D77512ADD.jpg (http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/FrozenBritannia/media/hair/Hairtwo/B12537BD-DDC0-4AE1-B9CA-565D77512ADD.jpg.html)

my hair wants to go in front of my shoulders no matter what I do. I am accepting of that.

The traditional LHC view:

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/Hairtwo/FA121F1F-02CA-48C3-95D4-6283752A9A92.jpg (http://s1086.photobucket.com/user/FrozenBritannia/media/hair/Hairtwo/FA121F1F-02CA-48C3-95D4-6283752A9A92.jpg.html)

my ends clump together, because they also want to curl. This hair has been slept on, so it can be wavier, but this is as straight as it ever gets.

not visible, the multitude of random length hairs that stick out everywhere.

Again, I dislike wearing updos every day. I mostly wear braids. I will probably be working front desk in an office situation, so my appearance will definately be a factor when I get hired.

What is professional hair in your mind? I need ideas or solutions.

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 01:20 PM
If you really don't like updos, maybe you could do ponytails, braids and half-ups? :)

Nique1202
August 28th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Single braids should be perfectly professional, especially if you use a little oil/serum/setting lotion to keep them from shredding out too much. You could also do stuff with, say, waterfall accent braids going back into a ponytail, or half-ups, that sort of thing, but unless someone at the company has some weird ideas about professionalism a single braid is really classic and elegant.

snowbear1005
August 28th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I think you have a great hair. If you’re not opposed to losing some length, maybe trim the bottom to give it more of blunt edge. Smoothing cream or a little bit of serum might help with the fly aways.

Chocowalnut
August 28th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I think your hair is beautiful and in no way unprofessional.. I wouldn't change a thing, if you're happy with it.

FrozenBritannia
August 28th, 2015, 05:43 PM
I think I would be happier with it if the undergrowth were not so noticibly shorter. :/

turtlelover
August 28th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Could you just do a blunt trim to waist to even out what you don't like? Your hair is very pretty. If it were mine I wouldn't go short.

spidermom
August 28th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Have you spent any time experimenting with the thousands of style options on YouTube? To me, professional hair means it's not distracting or getting in your way, and you're not messing with it all the time. It drives me crazy to see people who are constantly petting, flipping back, and twirling their hair.

neko_kawaii
August 28th, 2015, 06:42 PM
Have you spent any time experimenting with the thousands of style options on YouTube? To me, professional hair means it's not distracting or getting in your way, and you're not messing with it all the time. It drives me crazy to see people who are constantly petting, flipping back, and twirling their hair.

What she said about professional hair.

LauraAlaina
August 28th, 2015, 07:00 PM
I personally don't think you need to cut your hair at all. It's gorgeous! As for professional hairstyles, a french braid, single braid, half up half down are all ways to go if you're not into updos.

FrozenBritannia
August 28th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I've spent lots of time on you tube, haha. My hair does tend to get in the way. :(

trolleypup
August 29th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Professional hair is the hair (however styled) of a person being paid to do a job.

elea
August 29th, 2015, 06:29 AM
I take it there is no "mandatory hair length" in your contract.

I used to work as a fuel systems engineer with that colour.
Clean, neat and tied back up or single braid (to not obviously attract the extra attention) was fine once all understood that it was not my hair I used for work but my skills *;O)

Deborah
August 29th, 2015, 08:32 AM
If it were me, I'd trim to waist to even up and thicken the ends, then I would wear it back in a half-up, or back and braided, or in an updo. Long hair hanging in front tends to get in the way and does not look professional. I worked in law firms and in legal corporate departments, so looking professional was very important. It really can make the difference in being taken seriously, and in getting promotions and pay raises.

Good luck in your job hunt! I hope you find work that is a good fit in every way.

MoreAutumnForMe
August 29th, 2015, 08:40 AM
I think your curly shorter strands are too pretty :thud: I wouldn't change a thing!

FrozenBritannia
August 29th, 2015, 03:10 PM
Well, I tried a halfup do today and the length still migrated over my shoulders constantly. It tried to go in the loo when I was cleaning the bathroom, it tried to fall in the oven when we were baking cupcakes, and it got caught in the laundry basket when I was doing laundry. I actually think it was worse then just having my hair down, it isn't heavy enough to stay put.

So far I am leaning towards the trim to waist idea, I could maintain there for a while until my curly bits catch up and then maybe grow again.

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 03:11 PM
A nice side-braid is always professional!

kaydana
August 29th, 2015, 03:35 PM
If it gets in the way when it's loose or in a half up, it needs to be up at work. French braids look professional if you don't like updos, but I'd probably learn a few updos to wear for interviews.

As a general rule, if it's messy or gets in the way then it isn't professional.

Deborah
August 29th, 2015, 05:08 PM
If your hair ends up in front and gets in the way now while in a half up, it will do so even more when trimmed shorter. In that case, an updo or single braid will probably work best for work, whether you cut your hair shorter or not.

yogagirl
August 29th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Are you concerned about hair at the interview or just regular work days? I agree, wearing hair down can be a pain and can force you to fiddle with it too much (push it back, over the shoulder, behind the ear, etc). But I really don't think that wearing shorter hair down makes a difference in that. Why are you opposed to wearing a braid if that is what you usually wear? And if you want to look extra polished for the interview, maybe do a low bun and use some wax to tame frizzies.

EdG
August 29th, 2015, 08:34 PM
I don't think you need to change anything. :)
Ed

FrozenBritannia
August 29th, 2015, 09:51 PM
I am not opposed to wearing braids, just not totally happy with how it looks. Some pieces usually stick out and by the end it is very small. I will try to take a picture tomorrow. I like to do a french braid and roll it up under the braid but I cannot seem to keep it in at this length, I also enjoyed french rolls back when I could do that.

Yarrow
August 30th, 2015, 02:40 AM
Perhaps check out this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132595
Gossamer posted a nice tutorial for a similar hairstyle(french tuck).

missblueeyes
August 30th, 2015, 02:48 AM
It sounds to me that you want to trim your hair, no matter what the people at work consider "professional" or what we suggest. You're unhappy with your hair. Please, go ahead and chop back to waistlength if that makes you happy.

Stiria
August 30th, 2015, 03:38 AM
When I hear "office professional hair" I think of hair off the shoulders. As in short hair or in an updo. But what is consindered professional varies. So if I were you, I would wear my hair up at interviews, and then take it from there. Once you get the job you want, take a look at the other women in the office. How do they wear their hair? What is what is acceptable? You could even ask your boss.
If you don't like how a braid looks a trim could make it better. Or what about a folded braid? Or plaitception (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTnA0EvueCM)?
Then it wouldn't get in the way so much.

Professional or not, you hair is beautiful!

Johannah
August 30th, 2015, 04:05 AM
It sounds to me that you want to trim your hair, no matter what the people at work consider "professional" or what we suggest. You're unhappy with your hair. Please, go ahead and chop back to waistlength if that makes you happy.

This. Though I would not cut back to waist straight away. Maybe you could try to cut back to hip length and maintain for a while. If you still think it's too long, you can a little bit shorter and so on. This way you wont regret cutting it ;)

FrozenBritannia
August 30th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I honestly don't know what I want to do with my hair. I do like the idea of waiting to see how other people wear theirs, and going from there. I am trying a half up with the length braided, I feel a bit like a grown up cindy lou who but it looks ok. I will check out the links!
I do think a part of my uncertainty is that I have 'festival' hair in a small town that is very much.. Wanna-prep-academy? And I don't have skills that are rare or hard to find. I could very well lose a position on appearance, sad as that is. Meh.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really do appreciate it. I will look into products that might help tame hair in braids and continue to look at updos.