PDA

View Full Version : Best way to go about tweaking henna mistake?

Atalanta
August 28th, 2015, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure what happened. I applied 100% raj henna on virgin hair. I loved the color after two/three days. But it has been about two/three weeks now, and it had turned brown. I didn't use heat. It has completely lost all of it's intensity and most of its color. I had medium brown hair before and now it's just a slightly warmer shade of brown.

I'm torn between trying to do a second coat or just writing the whole thing off as a failure. I don't want darker, I just want redder without having to use repeated dyes. I had achieved the perfect color for me and it's just gone. I find this color bland and unflattering.

Does anyone know what happened, and what I can do?

Nightshade
August 28th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Maybe you could try to do a lesser amount of henna? like a 35% henna 65% cassia treatment? See if that oomphs up your color without darkening it?

missrandie
August 28th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Did you happen to flat iron it or use heat styling on it at all by chance? because that can turn henna brown.

Atalanta
August 28th, 2015, 01:01 PM
No, I know about heat's effects on henna and therefore avoided it. Not that I used heat to start with.

I was wondering if cassia/henna would help. I can't describe how perfect the color was before this happened. I just want to know where it went!

lapushka
August 28th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure what happened. I applied 100% raj henna on virgin hair. I loved the color after two/three days. But it has been about two/three weeks now, and it had turned brown. I didn't use heat. It has completely lost all of it's intensity and most of its color. I had medium brown hair before and now it's just a slightly warmer shade of brown.

I'm torn between trying to do a second coat or just writing the whole thing off as a failure. I don't want darker, I just want redder without having to use repeated dyes. I had achieved the perfect color for me and it's just gone. I find this color bland and unflattering.

Does anyone know what happened, and what I can do?

That's normal, especially if you have darker hair and medium brown is darker hair for henna. If it's blond it can turn out bright red, a shade of brown and it soon gets to be a sheen indoors and only a flamy red shine in the bright sunlight.

Atalanta
August 28th, 2015, 01:10 PM
That's normal, especially if you have darker hair and medium brown is darker hair for henna. If it's blond it can turn out bright red, a shade of brown and it soon gets to be a sheen indoors and only a flamy red shine in the bright sunlight.

The strand test I did stayed remarkably redder, though. Hence my confusion. And it seems like people with darker hair than mine still get much redder results long term.

I've been wanting to color my hair for a while now, and with commercial dyes not being an option this always seemed like the way to go. Finally took the plunge after seeing how the strand test turned out and am just feeling pretty disheartened about the whole thing.

Anje
August 28th, 2015, 02:43 PM
It's possible that you're one of the people that henna doesn't stick to very well. Chromis is another person like that.

Definitely try something like a dilute henna application to try to brighten it, but if it fades out, you might just be one of those people who has a hard time getting it to stick. Most people are the other way -- they can't get henna out without seriously damaging treatments.

Innerginger
August 28th, 2015, 02:45 PM
My test of Raj red on bleached blonde hair test turned a purple brown after a while. I expect it hit max saturation fast because it is so strong so went auburn. You can see the test strands on the other thread I have with photos.

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Hmm, I don't understand why the strand test turned out a lot redder and more vibrant than the result on hair if you used the same formula. :hmm: Does anybody know? Maybe the washing/conditioning cycles have something to do with "dulling" it over time? I'm really puzzled... :hmm:

Innerginger
August 28th, 2015, 03:54 PM
My guess is the time/temp made a difference. Photos of my overnight on the counter tests.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132944

meteor
August 29th, 2015, 08:42 AM
^ Thanks a lot, Innerginger! :D It's incredible to see in your test how much variation can happen. Great test! :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if honey lightening (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10605) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=26766) or vitamin C treatments (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=98433) could brighten and bring up some of the "fieriness" of henna by lifting a bit of it? :hmm:
I think henna can go darker with heavier concentrations (or layering) of henna, so if one wants just a bit of orange red, I'd try to dilute it with cassia or use only very little henna in a gloss. But I really have no idea, so sorry. :oops:

Atalanta
August 29th, 2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks for your continued input everyone. A few notes about things that people brought up:

It was the exact recipe/henna type/sit time. One thing of henna and some warm water. Figured I should play it safe and simple the first time around. Left on for three hours.

Someone also mentioned shampoo/conditioner, which I thought was pretty valid. I never shampooes/conditioned the strand test. My current hair cleansing set is a keratin and coconut oil organic thing. Could either of these have altered it?

So thus far it looks like my main choices are glosses/cassia blends/lightening or henna just doesn't stick to me.

I really do appreciate your continued input, the help means a lot to me.

EDIT TO ADD: Never mind I was mistaken.

hennalonghair
August 30th, 2015, 06:02 AM
The strand test stayed brighter because:

1/. It's a bleached hair strand test
2/. You aren't washing the strand test but you ARE washing your hair.

How often do you wash your hair and what are you washing it with?

Atalanta
August 30th, 2015, 09:03 AM

I've never colored my hair, yet alone bleached it. And I said it in the post above yours. My current hair cleansing set is a keratin and coconut oil organic shampoo and conditioner. My hair is too fine to not do it everyday/ every other day.

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 12:06 PM

:agree: Oh yes, # 2/ was my suspicion as well, but I don't know about how henna works to be sure. Hennalonghair, am I understanding correctly that even washing henna-ed hair can make it darker, browner over time? :)

I think heavy conditioning and oiling can make hair appear a bit darker temporarily.
Also, Atalanta, you mentioned that you don't heat-style your hair (we know that direct heat can darken henna), but do you also avoid blow-drying or maybe heat from sun? Can sun exposure ("photo-damage") darken henna at all? (I would suspect that sun should sun-bleach the underlying natural pigment and make henna more fiery though, no? :hmm:)
I must say, this is quite an interesting hair mystery! ;)

hennalonghair
August 30th, 2015, 06:48 PM
I've never colored my hair, yet alone bleached it. And I said it in the post above yours. My current hair cleansing set is a keratin and coconut oil organic shampoo and conditioner. My hair is too fine to not do it everyday/ every other day.
Sorry Atalanta. I read that all wrong. I thought you said you used a bleach hair strand test
I thought perhaps the henna colour was just getting washed out of your hair from the frequent washing with shampoo that has oils in it .

:agree: Oh yes, # 2/ was my suspicion as well, but I don't know about how henna works to be sure. Hennalonghair, am I understanding correctly that even washing henna-ed hair can make it darker, browner over time? :)

I think heavy conditioning and oiling can make hair appear a bit darker temporarily.
Also, Atalanta, you mentioned that you don't heat-style your hair (we know that direct heat can darken henna), but do you also avoid blow-drying or maybe heat from sun? Can sun exposure ("photo-damage") darken henna at all? (I would suspect that sun should sun-bleach the underlying natural pigment and make henna more fiery though, no? :hmm:)
I must say, this is quite an interesting hair mystery! ;)

Not generally no but some people have hair that doesn't hold colour well and frequent washing can wash it out. It doesn't generally leave a brown colour but perhaps if the colours getting washed out often in a hot shower it's possible

meteor
August 30th, 2015, 06:56 PM
^ Got it! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot, hennalonghair! :flowers:

hennalonghair
August 30th, 2015, 07:04 PM
^ Got it! :thumbsup: Thanks a lot, hennalonghair! :flowers:

You're welcome :lol: :flowers:

Innerginger
August 31st, 2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for your continued input everyone. A few notes about things that people brought up:

It was the exact recipe/henna type/sit time. One thing of henna and some warm water. Figured I should play it safe and simple the first time around. Left on for three hours.

Someone also mentioned shampoo/conditioner, which I thought was pretty valid. I never shampooes/conditioned the strand test. My current hair cleansing set is a keratin and coconut oil organic thing. Could either of these have altered it?

So thus far it looks like my main choices are glosses/cassia blends/lightening or henna just doesn't stick to me.

I really do appreciate your continued input, the help means a lot to me.

EDIT TO ADD: Never mind I was mistaken.

I would not be surprised if a keratin hair product pulled out color from henna. It binds to keratin so especially at first, I would avoid protein products and masks of yogurt/milk- if i wanted to keep color. The henna is not sticking to my chemical dyed hair as well as I wish it would. But I think it is the condition of the hair, no fault of the henna.