PDA

View Full Version : stranded on a tropical island

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Your're stranded on a tropical Island (coconut is abundant so you wont need any coconut products..phew- just gotta learn to open them up :eyebrows:

you can only bring 5 hair related things..be they products or accessories or whatever.

what would you bring?

neko_kawaii
August 28th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Scarf, knife, spin pins, conditioner, a textbook explaining how to make soap from a variety of ingredients (like coconut). Given those, I can make the rest.

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 11:34 AM
the island also has aloe..so you dont need that either...:stirpot:you could probably concoct tonnes of hair recipes

Nadine <3
August 28th, 2015, 11:38 AM
My shampoo and conditioner, a bandana, scrunchies, a knife and some sandpaper. I can make my own hair sticks.

Johannah
August 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM
My shampoo and conditioner, MO, a jeterfork and my sleeping cap.

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 11:45 AM
My shampoo and conditioner, a bandana, scrunchies, a knife and some sandpaper. I can make my own hair sticks.
i thought you said banana.. theres plenty of those there too ! :) :disco:

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 11:49 AM
1) Hat (wide-brimmed);
2) Wide-tooth comb;
3) Knife;
4) Hair stick or fork;
5) Shampoo bar (solid shampoo)

Johannah
August 28th, 2015, 11:50 AM
i thought you said banana.. theres plenty of those there too ! :) :disco:

Yes, to make the banana mask. Never again.

Nuala
August 28th, 2015, 12:05 PM
Definitely shampoo and conditioner, hairbrush, an elastic and my favorite hair clip. If I was the only one on the island I would take nothing with me except my hairbrush and go no-poo!

restless
August 28th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Since we´re talking hair stuff and not general survival stuff (not that pretty hair isnt important when youre stranded on a tropical island or anything! :p ) Id say a pair of scissors, a hat to protect my hair and face from the sun, shampoo, conditioner and an acrylic stick/fork.

The only products I ever use for deep treatments, styling etc are coconut oil and aloe vera, so it seems like Im good. Because of this thread I actually looked up how coconut oil is made, so now Im prepared. Bring that island on! (no srly, I hope they rescue me quickly)

Platzhalter
August 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Depends on what is available on that island ;)

Update: Well, no matter what may be there, I'd take a knife (and whetstone). Don't need anything else for my hair that can't be made... especially when no one cares about how my hair's looking.

gustavonut
August 28th, 2015, 12:18 PM
My scissors, a sunhat, my fake tangle teezer or comb, a hair fork, and lots and lots of conditioner! (Shampoo I can live without, my hair would evolve to survive in this tropical climate and loves humidity so that's a plus! :agree: Also no one will be there to see my greasy hair so I can stretch washes for a looooong time.
Damn this island sounds so lovely right now. :joy: :sun: :blossom:

missblueeyes
August 28th, 2015, 12:26 PM
1) wide-toothed comb
2) hair ties
3) my 60th street fork.
4) a pair of scissors.

uh.... I really don't know.

You see, since fresh water without salt would be quite rare on a tropical island, I'd probably go sebum only. Thus, I wouldn't really need a lot.

ravenreed
August 28th, 2015, 12:42 PM
My hair HATES coconut oil, although you would have trouble actually extracting it from coconuts on a tropical island anyway. If you have ever opened a coconut, what is inside is meat and juice. You have to process it to get the oil. Plus, I am allergic to aloe vera. I think the only thing I would want on that island is a rescue boat.

Kaelbu
August 28th, 2015, 12:42 PM
1.) Conditioner
2.) Hair brush
3.) Scissors
4.) A really good hair stick
5.) An elastic

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Since we´re talking hair stuff and not general survival stuff (not that pretty hair isnt important when youre stranded on a tropical island or anything! :p ) Id say a pair of scissors, a hat to protect my hair and face from the sun, shampoo, conditioner and an acrylic stick/fork.

The only products I ever use for deep treatments, styling etc are coconut oil and aloe vera, so it seems like Im good. Because of this thread I actually looked up how coconut oil is made, so now Im prepared. Bring that island on! (no srly, I hope they rescue me quickly)
definitely scissors..youd eventually need to at least S & D ..dont wanna be hacking hair off with some jagged sea shell edge :)

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM
My hair HATES coconut oil, although you would have trouble actually extracting it from coconuts on a tropical island anyway. If you have ever opened a coconut, what is inside is meat and juice. You have to process it to get the oil. Plus, I am allergic to aloe vera. I think the only thing I would want on that island is a rescue boat.
lol...that would be ideal

Hurven
August 28th, 2015, 12:58 PM
1) A scrunchie.
2) Bobby pins.
3) Clarifying shampoo.
4) Coney hair oil.
5) Scissors.

Klaudia
August 28th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I like this game :)
1., Shampoo
2., Leave-in conditioner
3., Comb
4., Hair tie
5., Hair clip
I think I don't need as much hair stuff as I have... :hmm:

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM
He-he, the suggestions of hair scissors are a bit scary, to be honest... I mean, how long do you think we'd be stranded there to need to trim or S&D? ;)
I think I'd better get rescued soon... like, before I need a trim! :lol:

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 01:59 PM
He-he, the suggestions of hair scissors are a bit scary, to be honest... I mean, how long do you think we'd be stranded there to need to trim or S&D? ;)

think "gilligans island"..yikes..(Heavens forbid)

restless
August 28th, 2015, 02:07 PM

I found the knife suggestions a little more scary :p Hair + knife = cant possibly be good.

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 02:17 PM
^ Oh, I'd bring a knife for cutting up those promised coconuts and aloe vera plants to make deep treatments out of those. ;)
(But who am I kidding, I'd probably need knives for more basic stuff, like getting food and protection. :) )

neko_kawaii
August 28th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I found the knife suggestions a little more scary :p Hair + knife = cant possibly be good.

Knife + tropical wood + coconut oil = all the hair toys I could possibly want. Hair scissors are a little too single purpose for me.

ETA: you guys can go off on the rescue boat, I may just stay here. No school work!

missrandie
August 28th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Hmmm.. I would want to have:

1) comb
2) silk pillow
3)hair stick or fork, preferrably acrylic or dymondwood
4) shampoo
5) conditioner

Really the only things that are remotely necessary in that scenario would be the comb for me. I'm pretty sure that I could make a hair stick from either a fire hardened and sand polished stick or from a bone. I would most likely transition to a water only routine if I didn't have the shampoo, but if there is aloe vera and coconut on the island, I should be just fine for conditioning. Ideally, I would just find a plant with natural saponins for shampooing. I can weave a hat from palm fronds.

The silk pillow would be the true luxury and the biggest helper in protecting against splits. Of course, if I was able to get a pelt to make into a pillow, that would help some in lieu of the silk. Scissors would be fantastic to have, but I am afraid that they would degrade in that environment, so I might have to go to the burning method as an alternative (shudder:)

I would miss my Widu brush, but I know that it wouldn't last very long in an environment like that.

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 02:35 PM
^ Wow, missrandie! :bowtome: Getting pelts and bones, weaving hats from palms... :bigeyes: You sound like quite an awesome survivalist! :thumbsup:

ETA: you guys can go off on the rescue boat, I may just stay here. No school work!

:rollin:

missrandie
August 28th, 2015, 03:26 PM
^ Wow, missrandie! :bowtome: Getting pelts and bones, weaving hats from palms... :bigeyes: You sound like quite an awesome survivalist! :thumbsup:

:rollin:

Lol, I don't mean to get so intense :) I'm a scavenging type by nature, so bones and such become no problem. I scrounge around all the time back home. And I like weaving, so a quick hat of sorts would just be a fun distracting craft. I like to exercise my brain by making myself think through and make survival type things for fun. It's nice to learn the principle and practice it just enough to have it ingrained in my mind.

restless
August 28th, 2015, 03:37 PM
I see your point with the knives :) Tropical wood hair toys does sound pretty awesome...

Scissors would be fantastic to have, but I am afraid that they would degrade in that environment, so I might have to go to the burning method as an alternative (shudder:)

:bigeyes:

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 03:39 PM
^ :D That's awesome, missrandie! :thumbsup:

Reading this thread makes me realize that a desert island would be a pretty good place for an LHC meet! :lol:
Yay, all those coconuts and aloes and tropical wood for crafting hairsticks! :hmm:

Lolino
August 28th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I wish one actually knew ahead of time when one would end up on a deserted island :D
Knife, laminated printouts with pictures and usage of various herbs for hair and other uses, some sort of scarf/bandana. Don't think I need more actually.

If there's flint/obsidian nearby I know how to make blades, drillers and other things to make sticks, needles and pins from wood or bone (thank you experimental archaeology class) and with a knife (or stone blades) I can make the basic shapes for combs and other stuff, and use some beach sand and a rock to polish them ;) Hard work, but fun.
Hairties can be improvised with grass or fibers (I also know how to make string/thread!) since I only use those for braids anyway.
Scarf can do double duty as herb strainer if needed. With my printouts I can find the proper plants for any hairwashing/conditioning needs.

With all those coconuts, aloe plants and bananas and whatnot, I think I'd be pretty good hair-wise :cool:

lapushka
August 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM
- Hairsense wide tooth bone comb (the volume comb)
- Pantene Aqua Light shampoo
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner
- Eco Styler olive oil gel
- A leave-in, any leave-in

I think that would be it. :) Wish I had room for items 6 and 7, because that would be my Tangle Teezer and an oil. ;)

EdG
August 28th, 2015, 05:20 PM
I would bring my wood comb, hair sticks, shampoo, and a laptop to access LHC. ;)
Ed

neko_kawaii
August 28th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I would bring my wood comb, hair sticks, shampoo, and a laptop to access LHC. ;)
Ed

With a satellite connection. I knew I'd over looked something!

EdG
August 28th, 2015, 05:25 PM
With a satellite connection. I knew I'd over looked something!Maybe I'd need a solar panel too. ;)
Ed

Hairkay
August 28th, 2015, 05:41 PM
I'd only need a night cap, knife, a pot and a pair of scissors. I assume I'll get coconuts, bananas, mangoes, avocados, aloe vera, fresh spring water, fresh peas, corn, sweet potatoes, cassava, limes other tropical fruits and there'll be a chance to practice fishing to get sea food.

Coconuts will give me coconut water, coconut milk (deep conditioning) and coconut oil all good to use on hair as well as food.
Bananas will give me hair masks plus dessert
Avocados will give me a hair mask and can be part of meals.
Mangoes also will work as hair masks, dessert and if the seed is toasted and dried the centre can be pounded into mango butter for use on skin and hair.
Fresh spring water will be good to rinse hair as well as providing a drink. Sea water will provide some rinses too.
I'll experiment with sweet potato, peas and cassava to see if they make a good hair mask. They'll also help provide sustenance.
Limes juice highly diluted will provide an occasional hair rinse.
Aloe vera juice can be used on hair
Fish will provide my body with sustenance and omega oils that are beneficial to the body and good sebum production.
The pot I'll use for cooking. I think cooking sweet potato and cassava would make a better hair mask than the raw stuff.

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 06:46 PM
these answers are all so amusingly great ...:) i think we have some serious survivor contenders !

Nadine <3
August 28th, 2015, 06:56 PM
I hope we'd be stranded on said island together...I'm the type of person who has some allergic reaction to some plant within the first 20 minutes of getting on the island. Either that or I cut myself trying to open a coconut, bleed out and die. I'm not much or a survivalist, if I have any chance I'm going to need an island buddy who can whip up some cream out of herbs they found to stop my itching, or tie a tourniquet.

I'd be that person they find on the island walking around naked talking to a pile of coconuts. lol

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I hope we'd be stranded on said island together...I'm the type of person who has some allergic reaction to some plant within the first 20 minutes of getting on the island. Either that or I cut myself trying to open a coconut, bleed out and die. I'm not much or a survivalist, if I have any chance I'm going to need an island buddy who can whip up some cream out of herbs they found to stop my itching, or tie a tourniquet.

I'd be that person they find on the island walking around naked talking to a pile of coconuts. lol

lol..:agree: we better have Bear Grylls with us too..!

turtlelover
August 28th, 2015, 07:03 PM
My favorite pin brush, shampoo, conditioner, a scrunchie, and nice hair scissors.

Entangled
August 28th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I

Ah! I'm with you there, except I'm the intrepid explorer type who'd either survive or poison erself and be the first to die. So I think I'll take one of these practical types.

I guess I'll want a lot of conditioner, (I'm pretending I could get coconut oil from the coconuts...though I know I can't!), hair elastics, a knife, and I guess a whetstone. I'd use the knife to make other tools so that I wouldn't be dependent on it. You know, let's upgrade it to a machete. I think the pelt pillow spounds lovely, as long as I could get something soft and relatively clean. No scabby pelts for pillows!
What I would really want is a good hat/sunscreen combo. I can live with gross greasy hair (maybe that'll finally help me transition into not washing every other day by necessity!), but I can't live with sunburned scum and future cancer. I can probably use bones or strip the outer bark off of sticks and use rocks or coral like sandpaper. I'll make sure to locate Lolino to see those marvelous laminated cards and become a master herbalist (assuming I'm not dead, that is). I really hope this is a volcanic island, so I have the good rocks and the plants grow in rich soil. Jungles make for great shade and animals to trap! Except they'd likely be small, so it would take a lot of pelts for pillows.

missrandie
August 28th, 2015, 09:08 PM
I
Ah! I'm with you there, except I'm the intrepid explorer type who'd either survive or poison erself and be the first to die. So I think I'll take one of these practical types.

I guess I'll want a lot of conditioner, (I'm pretending I could get coconut oil from the coconuts...though I know I can't!), hair elastics, a knife, and I guess a whetstone. I'd use the knife to make other tools so that I wouldn't be dependent on it. You know, let's upgrade it to a machete. I think the pelt pillow spounds lovely, as long as I could get something soft and relatively clean. No scabby pelts for pillows!
What I would really want is a good hat/sunscreen combo. I can live with gross greasy hair (maybe that'll finally help me transition into not washing every other day by necessity!), but I can't live with sunburned scum and future cancer. I can probably use bones or strip the outer bark off of sticks and use rocks or coral like sandpaper. I'll make sure to locate Lolino to see those marvelous laminated cards and become a master herbalist (assuming I'm not dead, that is). I really hope this is a volcanic island, so I have the good rocks and the plants grow in rich soil. Jungles make for great shade and animals to trap! Except they'd likely be small, so it would take a lot of pelts for pillows.

Ooo, a machete. And here I was just going to make due with my Cold Steel SRK! Love that knife.

Also, those laminated cards would be awesome.. Lets upgrade it to a spiral bound book of laminated cards.
I think we LHC could make one heck of a community on that deserted island!

Frankenstein
August 28th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Shampoo, conditioner, brush, satin cap and a hair tie :D

DollyDagger
August 28th, 2015, 09:18 PM
^ :D That's awesome, missrandie! :thumbsup:

Reading this thread makes me realize that a desert island would be a pretty good place for an LHC meet! :lol:
Yay, all those coconuts and aloes and tropical wood for crafting hairsticks! :hmm:

Bora Bora here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pegasus::hollie: