PDA

View Full Version : Gloss - how damaging and how effective?

tigress86
August 28th, 2015, 02:15 AM
Does anyone have experience with hair glosses with very low peroxide? I have ordered an ashy brown gloss with 1,9% (6,3 vol) hydrogen peroxide developer. I'm wondering how damaging it can be and how effective it will be to get rid of brassy tones in brown hair. I've tried using deposit only dyes/toners to fight the brassiness, but they only last for a couple of washes and the upkeep is too much.

meteor
August 28th, 2015, 11:27 AM
I think if it includes a developer, it still works like a demi-permanent dye, in terms of damage. To me a "gloss" is a marketing term in this case, to underline the shine factor it provides, IMHO.

Such low hydrogen peroxide level shouldn't really cause too much damage (but it still IS damaging!), and it's likely there mostly to get the color to stick more. However, when the dye pigment washes away, you might be left with even more brassiness (if the "lift" of the peroxide provided got your underlying natural color to the "brassy" stage).

If you do decide to try it, strand-test first. :flower: And I'd always recommend doing a coconut oil soak before and hydrolyzed protein treatment after, to help reduce the damage.

tigress86
September 7th, 2015, 02:49 AM
Thanks for the reply, meteor! I did some research of my own and yes, gloss is just a marketing term unfortunately. I was wondering if coconut oil soak would be a good idea, if such low level of peroxide will get through it and the dye will take, but I guess there is no reason it shouldn't.