PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

diddiedaisy
August 27th, 2015, 06:56 AM
Hi all,

Could I have your opinions please on what you think my hair looks like. My hair seemingly tapers from apl naturally no matter how much I cut it back for the thickness to grow down. I don't think it will. However, I am paranoid wearing my hair down as I think it looks stringy and thin. I really want to try and grow it to waist (if it's able), but I don't want waist length hair that looks like c**p!!!

This is what it looks like air dried, not great pics so I've included two. Will Jo Bloggs on the street look at it and think eek thin stringy hair, get it cut!!!

I'm also new to wavy hair, but those last few inches never seem to hold the wave, maybe its because of the thinness there. I only wear it down once or twice a month.

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/th_5EF5E23B-6B4E-4014-8FDD-F6530853CC7F_zps6bdj2fqi.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/5EF5E23B-6B4E-4014-8FDD-F6530853CC7F_zps6bdj2fqi.jpg.html)http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/th_696400C5-90CE-432D-984F-5BCB0971C93F_zpsgbswhc10.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/696400C5-90CE-432D-984F-5BCB0971C93F_zpsgbswhc10.jpg.html)

Thankyou :)

Arctic
August 27th, 2015, 07:03 AM
I look at your hem and I see a beautiful U-shaped hemline hiding in there :) I think your ends and texture would suit U-shape really well! It tends to make the fairytailing, to my eye, look more intentional somehow. I wouldn't take off much from the sides, just enough to lose the straight line.

Ephemia
August 27th, 2015, 07:17 AM
I don't see anything wrong with that! My taper's a heck of a lot worse, but I still get compliments on my hair. When you say you wear your hair up most of the time, how do you usually have it? Can you do any buns or braided updos? Your hair sounds very delicate and possibly even something like a braid tassel being free to abrade could be causing your ends to thin. The thinning also looks like it starts where an elastic might go.

Johannah
August 27th, 2015, 07:19 AM
My hair seemingly tapers from apl naturally no matter how much I cut it back for the thickness to grow down.

First of all, I don't think your hair looks bad at all. No need to worry! Second, do you cut your hair back to grow it out? Some peoples hair just grows really uneven. If this is the case, you better start microtrimming (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.be/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html) instead.

snowbear1005
August 27th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Do you have layers ? I have a few long layers and mine looks a little bit like that at the end.

lapushka
August 27th, 2015, 07:47 AM
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/th_696400C5-90CE-432D-984F-5BCB0971C93F_zpsgbswhc10.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/696400C5-90CE-432D-984F-5BCB0971C93F_zpsgbswhc10.jpg.html)

That looks amazing. Well, cr*p it ain't. ;) It looks really nice. Just continue with whatever it is you're doing - the waves are fantastic. And keep growing. :thumbsup:

Arctic
August 27th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, have you ever tried to grow your hair without lightening the colour? I don't have much any experience with bleaching, but I've read that for many it seems to really compromize the hair's strength/structure, even at much shorter lengths than where you are now (and even with roots only applications).

I understand wanting and choosing to be certain colour, I dyed my own hair for 20 years if not more, and still sometimes play with shock colours. But if this is causing your hair to start fairytailing at the length it does, then you'll possibly need to choose between wanting to grow longer and with thicker hemline, or having the colour of your dreams.

Quite many of us have to make some kind of compromizes, yet often people seem to really learn to love their natural hair with time (be it colour or texture). I'm not trying to push the natural is better to you, because I don't believe it is for everybody at every points of our lives, but it might be possible your hair could grow more evenly without bleaching. If you've never tried, and if you'd want thick hemline bad enough, I myself would be tempted to at least give it a try if I were you.

Ofcourse some people just always have a stronly fairytailing hair growth, no matter what. No one growth pattern is better than others, and we have many many members with stunning fairytale ends!

Oh, and seconding the microtrimming idea, instead of big chops.

diddiedaisy
August 27th, 2015, 08:39 AM
I look at your hem and I see a beautiful U-shaped hemline hiding in there :) I think your ends and texture would suit U-shape really well! It tends to make the fairytailing, to my eye, look more intentional somehow. I wouldn't take off much from the sides, just enough to lose the straight line.

It sounds like a good idea but althoight I do cut my own hair, I'm not sure I trust myself with that.

I don't see anything wrong with that! My taper's a heck of a lot worse, but I still get compliments on my hair. When you say you wear your hair up most of the time, how do you usually have it? Can you do any buns or braided updos? Your hair sounds very delicate and possibly even something like a braid tassel being free to abrade could be causing your ends to thin. The thinning also looks like it starts where an elastic might go.
I do wear it the same all the time as I have no skills with updo's. I wear a high looped pony that I make look like a bun lol. There is every possibility that this is causing friction damage. I did a Gibson tuck yesterday, which is the only other do I can manage, but I look awful. I am trying to practise more updo's in case this is the problem.

First of all, I don't think your hair looks bad at all. No need to worry! Second, do you cut your hair back to grow it out? Some peoples hair just grows really uneven. If this is the case, you better start microtrimming (http://longhairedatheart.blogspot.be/2010/03/even-hemline-without-loosing-length.html) instead.
I have been cutting back my thin ends. When I joined I was suffering hair loss, so I did need to cut a lot off. Just over 8 inches up to now has gone. That's over a year and half though.

Do you have layers ? I have a few long layers and mine looks a little bit like that at the end.
I have lots of layers from the ears down, but these are natural layers.

That looks amazing. Well, cr*p it ain't. ;) It looks really nice. Just continue with whatever it is you're doing - the waves are fantastic. And keep growing. :thumbsup:
Thankyou

Thanks for your comments, I'll keep growing and see how it goes. I reckon I need to change my updo as well.

spidermom
August 27th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I agree with changing the up-do. Have you checked out YouTube? There are tons of how-to videos there.

I also agree with a U shape instead of straight across. You can achieve it yourself by parting down the middle, combing all your hair smoothly forward from each side, then combining into a ponytail right under your chin. Comb the ponytail nice and smooth, then use the fingers of one hand as a straight edge all the way to the ends and cut straight across. Just trim maybe 1/4 - 1/2 inch off every 3-4 months.

Arctic
August 27th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Cinnabun is easy to make, maybe secured with spin pins or hair fork. A relaxed french twist with fakkare or hair slide would also be easy (not the super sculpted and pinned hairdresser version, more like the Hypnotica/Karen Lynn -version). You have an advantage with you ends, because they are easier to work with in updos! Very blunt ends just tend to stick out.

Neelie
August 27th, 2015, 09:30 AM
i see crazy ppl lol; there is NOTHING wrong with your hair, omg im so jealous of your lovely curlz!
if you are really worried about it i would just do a small trim on the ends and bring out a more U-shaped hemline, that's all! :)

Groovy Granny
August 27th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I think it looks fine!
You may try the *U* hemline; I find it to be more forgiving with layers/taper etc.

Micro-trims will thicken it.

The 'curly girl' method (or some variation) will help with definition of the pretty wurls you have.

Personally I found once my layers were cut out (I still had plenty of wurl action),and I lost the 'look' that is bothering you (It bothered me too)!

Don't do anything drastic...take it slow...give new things a good trial

The others gave you great ideas for protective styles :thumbsup:

You have beautifyl hair to work with; it just needs fine tuning (been there) ;)

Happy growing!!!

Kendrix
August 27th, 2015, 10:01 AM
You know what? I had a lot of trouble getting past this length too. I did the same. I just kept cutting it back. It only grew when I cut my trims back to 1 half inch per 6 months. (Not intentional). Maybe try a jaw clip instead of the looped ponytail? (I remember how sad I was when the looped pony stopped working. It was so cute.)

DollyDagger
August 27th, 2015, 10:18 AM
From what i can see..it seems youre having good growth and it looks like it has thickened up compared to your pics from earlier months. :) Good advice and points in regards to bleaching/colouring, hemline, and updos mentioned already you may want to take into consideration.

ETA:sometime we are our own worst critic

Anje
August 27th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Agreeing with everyone else here -- it looks fine. Sure, it's a little tapered, but updos might help a lot with that. Besides, even if you're lousy at them now, you'll get better if you keep doing them. :nod:

For what it's worth, mine always tapers. I tried maintaining at tailbone for years and years, trying to grow the taper out. I got a little bit, but the rest was still there. Then for the last year or two, I've left it alone to just do its thing. Lo and behold, now it's at classic with taper. I'll make fingertip with taper soon (classic to fingertip is pretty short on me, then it's a long way to knee). Maybe even longer. Meanwhile, it seems thicker at tailbone than it was before. I'm coming to the conclusion that my hair is just plain going to taper, but that doesn't mean that the thickness won't move down behind it sooner or later. I can deal with that. :)

lapushka
August 27th, 2015, 12:08 PM
Yes, like Anje said, there's always thickness after taper!

turtlelover
August 27th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I am of the opinion that if it is bothering you, you should probably cut a bit off and see if that makes you feel better about it. Just don't cut a ton at once in case you regret it. I'd rather have shorter hair w/ thicker ends myself, but that is just me. There is no right or wrong.....just do what makes you happiest!

flickm
August 27th, 2015, 12:45 PM
I think your hair is lovely. I think, being in this community, it's possible to get too obsessive about every little thing. Keeping an eye on your hair and caring for it is a good thing, and the support from people here is fantastic. But it's easy to lose perspective: it's a little like looking your health symptoms up and deciding you have every dire illness under the sun.

Your hair is beautiful and not thin and straggly.

diddiedaisy
August 27th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Actually here's a pic from May, I had cut back from bsl, looking at it maybe the thickness has travelled down a bit. I also micro trimmed 1/2 cm a few weeks ago.
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/40F7B8D6-BD18-4C34-8767-E5C3227D3B7B_zpsrupaxxmt.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/40F7B8D6-BD18-4C34-8767-E5C3227D3B7B_zpsrupaxxmt.jpg.html)

It does seem to grow ok though. I think I just spend too much time looking at beautiful hair on here :)

lapushka
August 27th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Just stop looking at the back of your head *every* time. It will lay differently every time you look, sometimes it will play nicely, other times not so much. I have had that my entire growing process. Just forget about it, and let it grow. If there's no damage (no splits, no white dots), there's no reason to worry. Just let it grow and allow it the time it needs to grow.

spidermom
August 27th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Good point about not looking at the back so often. I had to force myself to limit checking to once per month because I was getting so frustrated with my lack of growth. I learned that it's impossible to see progress when I check 9 times per day.

diddiedaisy
August 27th, 2015, 03:43 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments and great suggestions. Not sure I'll be able to stop looking at the back though hehe, I've only recently got over measuring constantly!!! :)

sarahthegemini
August 27th, 2015, 03:45 PM
When I saw your pictures, my first thought was "what thin ends?!" Honestly, you've nothing to worry about!