PDA

View Full Version : Waxy, oily hair during pregnancy

Turtlesorgtfo
August 26th, 2015, 08:55 AM
Hello all! New member to the site but long time lurker. I have been growing my hair for about 2~3 years now and have found many great tips from all you lovely gals (and guys!?). Anyways, I'm happy to finally say my hello!

My hair's about mid way down my back, 1C, medium thickness with average volume. At least that's what I could gleam from the visual hairtyping guide. :o

I recently got pregnant (12 weeks along). Besides my many other hormonal changes, I have noticed a huge change in my hair: it is now very waxy and oily, limp and lifeless. After a shower, it looks as if I haven't rinsed properly. My hair brush is also covered in disgusting white gunk every time I brush.

I'm not new to product build-up and use a clarifying shampoo once a week. The clarifying shampoo still works, however as soon as I go back to my shampoo the waxy oilyness is back! shudder: I wash my hair twice a week and don't use any styling products. And I have also tried new shampoos to no avail.

My problem is I know that clarifying solutions are drying for hair, so I can't use it every time I wash. Does anyone have any solutions that I could use every time I wash my hair to keep the wax at bay and restore shine and healthiness to my hair? :confused:

Thanks!!

Nique1202
August 26th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Because of the hormonal changes during pregnancy it may just be that your scalp's needs have changed and your old shampoo won't work for the duration. The main thing is to keep your scalp happy because if you get a lot of buildup that can contribute to extra shedding, and moisture in the length can be restored with conditioners and oils. I'm guessing your regular shampoo is something sulfate-free or with a lot of plant oils/extracts in it? You may have to use something closer to your clarifying shampoo at every wash for a while (more sulfates/stronger cleansers, less plant stuff) but use it ONLY above your hairline (just let the suds wash down the length as you rinse) and use a thicker conditioner or a second round of your regular conditioner on everything below your earlobes if your length still feels dry afterward.

meteor
August 26th, 2015, 12:57 PM
^ I definitely agree with Nique. :)

I think it's pretty normal for skin/scalp to get a lot oilier during pregnancy, due to hormonal changes.

I'd try to stay on top of this by using clarifying shampoos or maybe even shampoos for itchy/dandruff-prone scalps, and lighter conditioners. And if you routinely oil your hair, you may want to try using less or skip it altogether.

If you have trouble keeping the greasies at bay, I'd try:

- well diluted ACV/lemon rinses;

- scalp-only washes in-between full washes (with length braided/bunned and covered with a shower cap);

- mud masks on scalp only (clay + water + optional: a few drops of lemon juice or ACV). Clays are very absorbent but also inert, so quite good and safe to use on oily skin. Be careful not to overdo it, because they are drying.

Turtlesorgtfo
August 27th, 2015, 01:23 AM
Thanks for the quick replies ladies. :) Nique you are probably right, I'll pick up a stronger shampoo and see how that goes. And I'll combine it with some ACV rinses (never tried it before but have a bottle in the fridge!) and so much needed scalp TLC, thanks meteor! I hope this works!!

yogagirl
August 27th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I also have waxy sebum. I can't use mild shampoos. They just don't clean enough. Any SLS shampoo works for me though. I really don't need clarifying specifically.

Turtlesorgtfo, what shampoo are you currently using? That would give us an idea what to recommend. If you find clarifying or SLS shampoos too drying, you can always CWC (apply condish to length before shampooing the scalp, then rinse and condition again.)

I would also recommend a boar bristle brush. I only use it on my scalp, not on my length. It helps break down/distribute the waxy sebum, so the shampoo can wash it off more easily.