PDA

View Full Version : Color and hair and scalp health

jera
October 7th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Why does coventional hair color dry out my hair and scalp and what can I do to rehydrate? :confused:

Kirin
October 7th, 2008, 05:05 PM
most commercial conventional dyes contain peroxide..... even if you aren't bleaching. Peroxide opens the hair cuticle to let the dye in, and causes some damage along the way. This is likely whats causing the dryness.

Make sure after coloring to do a deep treatment for moisture, some like Snowy's Moisture Treatment, I myself always liked using cholesterol.

plainjanegirl
October 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Clairol now sells their conditioner they have in their boxes with color separately.

vindo
October 7th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Why does coventional hair color dry out my hair and scalp and what can I do to rehydrate? :confused:

It has a lot of harsh chemicals in it that irritate and dry out your scalp and hair.

The most natural way to soothe your scalp would be hair oil since it pretty much gives back what was taken.

I would like to second the way kirin described the damage to your hair, good description.

burns_erin
October 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM
You might also try to skip the conventional colorants, if you like red at all henna is a wondoerful colorant. if you feel like sticking with chemical dyes then you might try what i used to do, I would not wash my hair for two or three days before dying, that way my scalp was not as exposed to the chemicals, the downside is that your roots may not take the color as well. i know my hair did not care how recently it had been washed, but one of my sisters had to have freshly clarified hair for chemical colorants to take.