PDA

View Full Version : going natural (hopefully).... help!

luvslongnstrong
October 7th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I'm new to the forum all help is appreciated!!!

I am about 11 weeks from last touch-up date which for me is not so bad. I usually get them every 3-4 months. I want to go a year with NO touch-ups and here is why: I've noticed my hair isn't my hair anymore... it's thinner (much thinner) definitely not as full as it used to be... my guess is from overprocessing. Sometimes I would get touch ups between 8 weeks time when it really wasn't necessary. Recently I've had it bleached and colored etc... my hair is crying out for a rest!!!

I'm nervous to see how hard to manage my hair will be in the next 8 weeks.. any tips? How often should I wash now? I usually go about 1.5-2 weeks. My natural hair is extremely curly in its natural state (now I can't seem to get it to curl when wet - another reason to throw away the relaxers) and I will probably be trying to keep it straight most of the time. Keeping it curly is too much work!!!

ANY info or tips would be extremely helpful. Right now my hair is bra strap length. I've purchased all the necessary Aphogee products for this transition (they come highly recommended) as well as CHI silk infusion.

I hope to post pics soon.

wintersun99
October 7th, 2008, 03:39 PM

luvslongnstrong
October 7th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I would be very interested to know your opinion once you've used the Aphogee products, did you by the protein treatment? I've been thinking of that on for myself... how do you plan to keep it straight if you are getting rid of the relaxers?
I purchased the shampoo for damaged hair, balance moisturizer, 2-minute reconstructor, leave-in conditioner and the green tea & keratin treatment (leave-in). I was told the 2-step protein treatment was amazing and good to use every once in a while (not regularly). I haven't bought that yet. I have a flat iron so that (I'm hoping) will keep it straight. will keep posted...... =)

WritingPrincess
October 7th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I will warn you that, over time, the flat iron will cause damage too. If you're planning on going very long, you probably will want to wean yourself off of the flat iron.

Anje
October 7th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I gather from your posts that you've been relaxing your hair for a long time without doing any protein treatments? If I were you, I'd start with the reconstructor and look into other protein treatments. Follow them with moisture, and I think you'll be pleased with the results.

1.5-2 weeks strikes me as a sufficiently spaced-out washing schedule, but you can of course extend it if your hair starts getting dry. I'm not sure I like the idea of using a flat iron because it will cause heat damage that may become as bad as the relaxer damage in time, but I know super-curly hair can be difficult, especially if you're used to wearing it straight.

I have two additional recommendations for you:
1) If you don't do it now, start oiling your hair, but use an oil you could eat. Olive oil, coconut oil (the real stuff, skip it if it has petroleum, paraffin, or mineral oil), and shea butter are all good places to start.
2) We have several black members, but the majority of our members have straight, wavy, or mildly curly hair and limited experience with the needs of kinky-curly hair. You're welcome to stay here, but I recommend you check out some of the other groups online like Black beauty forums (http://blackbeautyblackhair86911.yuku.com/directory), where there are likely to be more people with relevant experience. Nappturlaity (http://www.nappturality.com/) might be a good place, too, though they are a bit against relaxing.

wintersun99
October 7th, 2008, 06:03 PM

MotherConfessor
October 8th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Wish I could help luvslongnstrong, but good luck!!! And keep us posted. :)

AutumnLeaves
October 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
I wish you luck too. I also have naturally curly/frizzy hair and have quit coloring. I also cut down to the roots after letting them grow out enough so I wouldn't look scalped. A year later I am back to where I was before cutting. And I have all virgin hair. I cannot tell you how nice that is! I have to agree with everyone else on the flat iron usage. I too want to have nice straight hair at times. I think I will also use either the flat iron or the large barrel iron on occasion to get that look. But mostly I leave it go natural, even though it looks mighty unkempt. Thank goodness for hair forks, hair sticks, and my constant go to: the coated rubber bands! Yes, I wear lots of pony tails!

I wish you luck and welcome to the LHC!

nappywomyn
October 8th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Welcome luvnstrong!!! If you aren't already there, http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/ would be a great place to check out - there's more info on transitioning there than you could shake a stick at!

It looks like someone has already pointed you towards the Kinky 4's thread.....

It's been so long since I had a relaxer (and I transitioned to natural hair in braids, long before I was into this hair thing) that I really don't have any good advice for you.

Good luck, though!

Anje
October 8th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Welcome luvnstrong!!! If you aren't already there, http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/ would be a great place to check out - there's more info on transitioning there than you could shake a stick at!
Ah, thanks Nappywomyn. I was trying to remember that one!

Alethia
October 8th, 2008, 05:01 PM
My friend is from Zimbabwe and she sometimes wears wigs, but the rest of the time she has her hair in braided extensions and it looks great. At the moment she has spirally extensions, and it doesn't even look like it's braided at the roots because it's been done so well. Each treatment lasts her several weeks. Would you consider something like this to ease the transition while you're trying to go natural?

All 3 of her daughters are either in cornrows or have braided in extensions too. I don't think any of the family have ever used relaxers, and when my friend spends a couple of weeks without any special dos, her natural afro looks great because her hair is in good condition.

I wish you luck on your quest, and hope you can find a way of easing your transition that sits well with you.

PeaceWithTrees
October 8th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hey! Welcome and such! Well, I know exactly what your afraid of. I stoped useing relaxers about a year and a half ago. I hesitated at first, I thought that I could not manage my hair if if didnt use them, however, I had made the wrong assumption. Although getting to know my hair was hard, I soon learned the way that I should manage it, and soon after I learned that, I learned better ways to care for it so that I could grow it out. The more I grew it, the more managable it seemed to get. I tried very hard to grow my hair out when I had relaxers, but unfortunatly for me, my hair could not tolerate it, even when I only relaxed it twice a year with gentle relaxer. It is only untill a year and a half later that my hair has finally stopped breaking off all of that relaxed hair. The hair I now have is healthier and in much better condtion. Maybe it wont be as managable as with a relaxer, but it will be nice brushing your hair and not feeling tiny bits of breakage on your shoulders!

luvslongnstrong
October 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
thanks sooo much!

Sakura07
October 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Welcome to the forums first off! :)

I've never had a relaxer so I might not be of much help in that area. Though if you ever need anything I'll try to help. A few things I've picked up from around the hair boards is to be patient. You hair will be such a different texture than you're used to that it can be hard to manage. But always remember that we are around when you are frustrated or upset with your hair.

Trail and error will be a good help to. You will have to learn what does and does not work for your hair whether you're natural or relaxed.

I just lost my train of thought, but If i find it I'll post again :flowers: