PDA

View Full Version : Breakage / Growth / Flyaways

dee1313
August 25th, 2015, 05:24 PM
I have these flyaways that might be growth or breakage, and they drive me crazy. The hairdressers always think it's frizz at first, then decide it's breakage. No one has asked if I lose hair in the shower (I totally do), so it's possible that it's new growth but who knows. I've been asking my hairdresser for help with my hair for my last several appointments. I haven't seen an improvement in my hair, and it's been like this for years. I just recently decided to start doing something about it. I'm trying the Redken frizz dismiss shampoo and conditioner right now. I've been told that it's better because it's sulfate-free. I did have a chemical treatment done at my last appointment to clear my hair of sulfate buildup.

http://i.imgur.com/bL1zcOr.jpg

I looked at one of the newbie threads, and I'll start the CWC thing, but as most of the breakage/growth/flyaway problem is on the top of my head, it's not going to change anything. I don't usually blow dry my hair. No flat iron, nothing. If I do blow dry it, it's on medium heat and it's because I'm putting it in a bun. I will put a heat protecting thing in it and I don't dry it all the way because it's easier to get up if it's slightly damp (doesn't feel wet, just cold). I got short layers at my last appointment so I haven't done a bun in a while (going to try a french twist as my go-to up-do).

I sleep with a nightcap thing on (looks like a swimmer's cap). I do a lazy/gentle twist into a loose bun, and put the cap on over it. I usually wash my hair every other day, but there are a few weeks here and there that it's every day. I usually go get a trim every 6 months. Sometimes I use a wide tooth comb to detangle my hair out of the shower, and sometimes I use my fingers when I apply the heat protect stuff. I used to dye it with out of the box stuff, and right now it's only the ends that are still dyed.

I'm not necessarily trying for long hair; I don't like it when it touches my bare skin or gets in my face. Having it long makes it easier to keep it back and controlled. I use a clip or a scrunchie when I'm home. I tried a french braid, and got decent at it, but the flyaways make it look like a mess once it's dry.

Any ideas? I was looking at products and don't know where to start. I think I'll pick up a couple chamois towels so I can pat my hair dry instead of squeezing it with a towel.

Nique1202
August 25th, 2015, 05:49 PM
It's not likely that it's breakage at the very top of your head, and hairdressers have no idea what real frizz is because that is NOT it. Your hair just looks like normal very-straight hair. Straight hair shows the new growth a lot more, because the newer shorter hairs can't blend into waves and curls. If you want the flyaways to disappear use a little drop of oil or something spread all over your hands and then run your hands over your hair to tame them down.

If you're shedding a lot in the shower and just afterward, are you using conditioner all the way to your roots? A lot of people get big sheds when they do that, because their scalps don't like conditioning agents and oils. Try only using your conditioner from your ears or your shoulders down (depending on how long it is now).

Also, sulfate-free isn't necessarily better, just use whatever makes your scalp happy for shampoo, and then use whatever makes your length happy for conditioner.

spidermom
August 25th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Product. You can rub a moisturizing gel between wet palms, then smooth your palms over the surface of your hair as the last step in styling. If that doesn't control the fly-aways, you might have to go with pomade or styling wax, but remember - a little goes a long way. That's what I do if I really want to look polished for something like a job interview. Otherwise I let my freak flag fly.

Groovy Granny
August 25th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Welcome :)

Most likely it is new growth because it looks good in the pic...YAY....embrace it!!!!!!

I also have a lot of it..in the crown and nape areas.

I use a BBB after applying a bit of oil or aloe gel; occasionally if it needs to stay put for a formal outing, I'll use a spritz of hair spray.

If you can tuck them behind your ears, use headbands, do half ups to secure them, or make tendrils for the sides...even better!

Now I have just come to ignore it for the most part, especially if I am hanging around...or a quick fix to go out.

Keep the faith ~ it will grow and blend in.

DollyDagger
August 25th, 2015, 06:11 PM
It's not likely that it's breakage at the very top of your head, and hairdressers have no idea what real frizz is because that is NOT it.
Totally thought same when i saw post. Not to discount how your feeling about your hair...but being misinformed (hairdresser telling you its breakage!) is probably making you feel self-conscious about something thats not even a problem. Looks like just new growth and maybe a bit of frizz or flyaways. If you follow the great advice youre getting here..youll be good to go.

dee1313
August 25th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Reading on here for a bit before I signed up is what made me wonder if it was growth. The weird thing is that it's always been like this, so I'm thinking Nique1202 might be right about the conditioning. I was putting it all over my hair because I thought it was breakage, which means it really needs it, right? So I'll start the CWC stuff and avoid conditioning the roots to see if I shed less. It is always during the conditioning part in the shower and then a little bit once I get out of the shower when I comb it with a wide tooth comb or with product and fingers.

My hair will look greasy pretty easily. I was going to go by Beauty Brands and see what they can recommend for product. The hairdresser told me to use Redken align 12 and some other stuff. Reviews suggest that it is heat activated (and that the new formula sucks). I don't really want it to be straight, just to calm the growth down. It's pretty straight as is. I'd like volume and gentle waves, so she gave me a volumizer thing and told me to blow dry it or use a flat iron, and this was after she said I was good for not using so much heat! I have no idea what products do what and what brands to look for, what ingredients to avoid. I bought a test tube of gel to keep my hair flat to my head when I have it in a bun, but I haven't had the guts to use it yet. I love how my hair looks after I take the bun out, it just doesn't last long.

I have Ion texturizing wax that helps, but if they get dislodged I look kind of greasy and didn't change anything. Wind makes me look crazy.

yahirwaO.o
August 25th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Your hair looks a lot like mine. Straight with some halo flyways (actual new grow hairs) people think its frizz and if I apply oil or something wavy it becomes oily and not at tammed. Sometimes I just let it go, very rare times when I decide to use heat a straightner does the job so nice on me but what works the best is just plain old hairpray on my BBB, brush and its fantastic without making my strands nasty!

....and your hair looks really pretty!

LongCurlyTress
August 25th, 2015, 09:00 PM
Dee1313--Just wanted to say I have the same problems with frizzies and flyaways and breakage? so thank you for starting this thread. Everyone's answers are really helpful with great suggestions. Thanks for all the great ideas!!! :beerchug:

missrandie
August 25th, 2015, 10:23 PM
I get the exact same thing. My hair is pretty straight, but my new baby hairs have funny little waves and curls for the first couple inches.. Which means that they stick out and wave at eachother!

2 things that help me: going over my hair with my soft BBB smoothes the little buggers down for a while, and product/ not fresh washed hair. It doesn't take much to weigh the babies down and make them behave.