PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair look thin when braided?

maryva
October 7th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hairdressers have always said I have fine hair strands, but lots of them, so my hair looks fairly thick when it is down. I got inspired by some of your braids, and tried braiding my hair. For some reason my hair just looks much thinner when braided. Is there any trick I don't know about to make it look thicker when braided? I love the look of braids, but don't get whey my hair is looking so much thinner when braided. Thanks for any thoughts!

Periwinkle
October 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM
How tight are you braiding? Try it a little looser; that can make hair look thicker.

ChatoyantLocks
October 7th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Braid your hair into three braids, each starting at the nape of your neck. Then braid the braids together, encouraging them to lay flat. That will spread out your braid a bit and should look larger.

arylkin
October 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Braid your hair into three braids, each starting at the nape of your neck. Then braid the braids together, encouraging them to lay flat. That will spread out your braid a bit and should look larger.

What a neat idea! I'll have to try it!

ChatoyantLocks
October 7th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Oh - another trick! - leave a large tassel at the end. Braiding it as far to the end as possible can help protect the ends of the hairs more, but visually, a large fluffy tassel makes the braid look more impressive.

ChatoyantLocks
October 7th, 2008, 10:07 AM
What a neat idea! I'll have to try it!

I'm glad you like the idea! :)

I recently did a six strand braid, made up of three strand braids, and it turned out really neat, but that one is more complicated. Wow was it wide at the top, though! I got photos, but I haven't had a chance to put them up in my photo album yet.

ETA: The photo is up now!

Arctic
October 7th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Encourage the body of the hair before braiding, so there is more air in the braid. You propably have lot of body since your hair is 2a. Nihg time high bun gives me really much body, for example.
Don't braid too tightly.
Add a scarf or ribbons into the braid, or even fake hair (I would love some bright coloured fake hair for this!)!
Leave longer tassel, especially if you have taper.
Try different braids.
ETA: Braid started at my nape usually seem more thick than braids started higher up.

maryva
October 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try the three braids braided together idea. Any idea where to get good "fake hair?"

Arctic
October 7th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I don't know where you're from but any place that sells hair extensions might be a good place to start looking. They have huge selection of colours, as well as prices and qualities.

mjm4
October 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
true. if you live in london, like me, you may find that your best bet for finding hogh quality fakes is an afro-caribbean shop, since they have more choices. try also some online hair extension sites... they should be helpful ;o) the nearer to your area the cheaper; avoiding the extra delivery fees. hope you find this helpful ;)

freznow
October 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I believe Sally's sells various types of fake hair.