PDA

View Full Version : Single strand knots

Hairkay
August 23rd, 2015, 11:19 AM
Being a tightly curly, I get a lot of them. My curls circumference are mostly that of my fingers though some are smaller. I can leave some for a little while but then they can knot up with other hair strands or get lint caught in them. I've even found double knots placed 2-5mm apart on the end of the same strand of hair. I cut them out. I've heard some people actually get a needle and attempt to undo the knot. I think that's too much trouble. I sometimes can see a knot in the making. That's when it's already tied but still loose enough to have a 1mm circumference in the centre of the knot. I cut those out too. Keeping my hair mostly braided/plaited or twists does reduce some of the ssk. Yesterday I found a loop knot, like a noose at the end of a hair strand. I tried pulling it out which worked for a second then the hair just snapped off so if I encounter that next time I'm just going to cut it off immediately.

How do you manage your ssk?

Seeshami
August 23rd, 2015, 11:41 AM
Our hair texture is pretty different but the knots I can undo generally break off too. If it's a big one towards my ends I can't figure out I will cut only if there is no hope but single strands I alway snip out.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 12:29 PM
"Just" a wavy here, but I got a SSK once as well, just one so far though... It doesn't happen a lot for me. Most knots, if and when I get them are multiple strand knots (MSKs).

ravenreed
August 23rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
I get them a lot, especially the longer my hair gets. I snip them as soon as I find them because they cause more tangles and more problems in the long run. I can understand the ones on my ends, but I also get the darned things on the relatively short hairs around my nape. Those are about shoulder length right now and harder to trim without taking other hairs along with them! I have been noticing more lately, and I suspect it is because the current pillow I am using to help my back does not have a slippery cover. I may need to sew something to reduce this problem.

meteor
August 23rd, 2015, 02:47 PM
I sometimes get those, too, including a couple loop knots that you mentioned, Hairkay. Since I don't S&D, I rarely see them. But when I do, I usually grab a needle and undo the knot. It's super-easy and takes me as long as snipping it off with scissors anyway.
I don't try to pull them apart with fingers or try to break them though, because it kind of doesn't work and even makes matters worse.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Multiple strand knots - oh boy. Last week, midweek, I tried to pry apart my hair, like I always do. I pull it in half, in half again, in half again. That didn't go too well. I had KNOTS. Tiny tiny multiple strand knots that seemed to be backcombed on themselves. Prying them apart with fingers was the only option. Later, I went through the whole thing with my TT, and that got the rest of it out. Thank goodness I didn't have to cut them out! Phew! This was due to me leaving my conditioners in for 1 min. only instead of 2 (which I usually do). I mean, that's the only thing I changed in my routine. It pays to have your conditioner sit in your hair for a little longer!!!

Jeleah
August 23rd, 2015, 04:31 PM
Oh how I hate those single strand knots! I get a few a week and end up cutting them ASAP before they cause more trouble for the rest of the surrounding strands...

meteor
August 23rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
I'm curious: how exactly do single-strand knots form?
Is there something that can be done to prevent them, apart from the obvious containment, protective styling, avoiding dust/lint...?
It's pretty obvious how the standard tangles form, but I'm not so sure about SSKs... they look like something that shouldn't happen too often? :hmm:

ravenreed
August 23rd, 2015, 05:48 PM
I think they are part of a tangle that got pulled apart. All the other hairs may have been separated out, but that was the one that was looped around everything and somehow stayed knotted and got pulled tight. I suspect that if my hair was in poorer condition, the knot would have become a split end or gotten snapped off.

Lianna
August 23rd, 2015, 10:20 PM
I have those too. I noticed I get them less often when I detangle my hair a lot. I'm usually in combed braid waves that I can't let be tangled for hours, so I'll finger detangle when out.

elea
August 24th, 2015, 12:51 AM
The only way i found is trying to avoid getting them in the 1st place: bun/braid when sleeping, hair tied when active etc...
Sometimes they come undone with a bit of almond oil (any oil would do); other times, it is the very thin scisor as trying to un-knot them ends-up ripping more hair than untangling.
A small amount of leave-in conditioner or baby oil applied when the hair is wet just cleaned seems to help. Maybe it will work for you too.

luxurioushair
August 25th, 2015, 05:54 AM
You get a lot of ssks? Maybe you need to use different products in your hair. I hardly get them and I only use 3 things in my hair: Argan Oil everyday, VO5 conditioner and water.
i just want to mention 2 things
1. When I used olive oil I got a lot of tangles, so I don't use that
2. "Braid-outs" do not tangle my hair at all, so the hairstyle may or may not matter

"Just" a wavy here, but I got a SSK once as well, just one so far though... It doesn't happen a lot for me. Most knots, if and when I get them are multiple strand knots (MSKs).
me too, but thankfully those are easy to unravel

Arctic
August 25th, 2015, 06:10 AM
I get slow and steady flow of fairy knots. I get rid of them by cutting if I can find my scissors.

ETA I've noticed some conditioners cause them, or allow them to form, while others seem to prevent them, I ofcourse favour the ones that cause less of them.

Kina
August 25th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I get them all the time, I'm thinking of cutting back quite a bit since I'm sick of dealing with them. SSK's become multiple strand knots for me very quickly as the sheds get stuck in them. Consistent use of cassia helped for me, but I've been too busy to do that for some time.

Hairkay
August 25th, 2015, 07:31 AM
The only way i found is trying to avoid getting them in the 1st place: bun/braid when sleeping, hair tied when active etc...
Sometimes they come undone with a bit of almond oil (any oil would do); other times, it is the very thin scisor as trying to un-knot them ends-up ripping more hair than untangling.
A small amount of leave-in conditioner or baby oil applied when the hair is wet just cleaned seems to help. Maybe it will work for you too.
I do use some oil in my hair. My hair is kept in braids/plaits and or buns most of the time. I don't use manufactured conditioners in my hair due to allergies.

You get a lot of ssks? Maybe you need to use different products in your hair. I hardly get them and I only use 3 things in my hair: Argan Oil everyday, VO5 conditioner and water.
i just want to mention 2 things
1. When I used olive oil I got a lot of tangles, so I don't use that
2. "Braid-outs" do not tangle my hair at all, so the hairstyle may or may not matter

me too, but thankfully those are easy to unravel
I have no trouble getting tangles out of my hair. They come out easily on damp hair. My hair is braided/plaited most of the time. I water wash 6 days a week in the summer. That helps keep hayfever in check too. I use minimal products in my hair due to allergies, coconut oil (olive oil in the winter) and almond oil. I'm more reliant on my natural sebum. I wash my hair in the plaits. Sometimes the water unravels 25-50% of the plaits. The ends of my hair naturally go into smaller corksrews than the rest of the hair which is why its easy for me to get ssk.

longcurlygirl<3
August 25th, 2015, 08:49 AM
I use to get a lot, but as I have been trimming off thin ends (around 6 inches) I have seen a HUGE improvement. Maybe a trim is in need?

Also could be your minimal use of products, although we have different hair types, but are curlies, conditioner is very much needed to keep my hair moist and slip. Maybe a natural leave-in besides the oils?

luxurioushair
August 25th, 2015, 09:09 AM
I do use some oil in my hair. My hair is kept in braids/plaits and or buns most of the time. I don't use manufactured conditioners in my hair due to allergies.

I have no trouble getting tangles out of my hair. They come out easily on damp hair. My hair is braided/plaited most of the time. I water wash 6 days a week in the summer. That helps keep hayfever in check too. I use minimal products in my hair due to allergies, coconut oil (olive oil in the winter) and almond oil. I'm more reliant on my natural sebum. I wash my hair in the plaits. Sometimes the water unravels 25-50% of the plaits. The ends of my hair naturally go into smaller corksrews than the rest of the hair which is why its easy for me to get ssk.
Oh, your hair makes spiral curls? Maybe that contributes to it... Also I'm not saying olive oil is bad for everyone but maybe you can consider my experience with it.

Maybe you can also tie the ends of your plaits with ribbons or another type of hairtie when washing it. I don't know about you. but so far I haven't found any small hair accessories that are safe for my hair. All the furry little scrunchies break my hair up, so I'll make do without those until my hair's long enough for big satin hairties etc.

Anyway sorry for my useless replies. I didn't consider the curls.

I use to get a lot, but as I have been trimming off thin ends (around 6 inches) I have seen a HUGE improvement. Maybe a trim is in need?

Also could be your minimal use of products, although we have different hair types, but are curlies, conditioner is very much needed to keep my hair moist and slip. Maybe a natural leave-in besides the oils?

You hair looks amazing!

Hairkay
August 25th, 2015, 09:38 AM

I can't use manufactured conditions because I'm allergic to them. I do use DIY hair masks to condition once a week.

meteor
August 25th, 2015, 10:30 AM
I think they are part of a tangle that got pulled apart. All the other hairs may have been separated out, but that was the one that was looped around everything and somehow stayed knotted and got pulled tight. I suspect that if my hair was in poorer condition, the knot would have become a split end or gotten snapped off.

Oh, that's quite possibly so. :agree: Thanks a lot!
I notice I get more SSKs when I get more tangles, period. So the two must be just 2 forms of the same "tangliness" (sorry, if that's not a word :oops: ) issue.

I've noticed some conditioners cause them, or allow them to form, while others seem to prevent them, I ofcourse favour the ones that cause less of them.

Do you remember any names of the products that cause them vs. the products that don't cause them for you? :) It's just that comparing their ingredients lists might help zero in on the ingredients (or combinations of ingredients) that are problematic.

Great! I love washing in braids, too, and I think it helps with tangles. How many braids do you do for washes? And do you put any ties on your braids? When I use ties, they don't unravel on my hair.

I was also wondering if there is a possibility that some of the DIY masks with things like banana, etc that, if I remember correctly, you like to do, could cause some of the tangles. I often get those tangling issues when I experiment with new stuff like that. It's just that, they can sometimes cause some build-up by leaving behind minuscule specks, fibers... Often, when I undo a tangle I see a bit of dust or dried up conditioner in the middle... so I think I'd recommend clarifying (with something that doesn't cause you allergies, of course!) and maybe checking out how hair does without any DIY mask, just to see if it makes a difference for the better or worse? :flower:

Arctic
August 25th, 2015, 10:34 AM
Meteor, no, I haven't been able to identify what ingredients cause that.

elea
August 25th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Oh yes, if your hair spiral twists... You are in for these knots alright.
Basically here, keeping hair as not "dry" as possible and getting more volume of it is what seems to make the most difference.
So.

Only natural products. I did mix soft almond oil with water in a spray bottle. Shake and spray. I t is less heavy than other oils and helps not getting knots (basically same think as leave in conditioner but it is natural). Or I put it on my hands and finger-comb. It took few trials to get the amount of which right (3 quarter water works a treat without having hair looking "greasy"). The spray is wide, more like a mist (some small bottles spray too much in 1 spot).

Thin strands. These knot like there is no tomorrow.
I found that i knot less when there is more volume so I had to have less layers as my hair grew longer and a less dramatic V shape at the back. Big improvement.

Hope you find a way that works for you.

Hairkay
August 27th, 2015, 06:16 PM
I've cut out the ssk I found. I've already got almond oil. I use it with a little coconut oil on damp hair. I don't use a spray bottle directly on my hair because at certain times in the year it triggers a painful effect on my skin. Damp hair has enough water or if I want it damp I just wet my hand and pass them over my hair. I could experiment with avocado oil in winter to see how it compares to olive oil. I like a penetrating oil with a thicker oil layered on top.

EdG
August 27th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I believe that single-strand knots were former tangles.

One thing that I have tried is to avoid untangling my hair while it is still wet enough to clump together. That seems to have reduced the occurrence of single-strand knots.
Ed

enting
September 7th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I have tons of ssks. I will sit on the couch, absentmindedly finger combing, and every few inches on every stroke I will find them (all right, I might be exaggerating). I cut them out when s&d-ing, but I cannot get them all, there will always be more. I suspect part of it has to do with my curl pattern and part of it with the fineness of my hair. My curls seem to spiral one direction for a while, then do an about face and start curling the other way, and sometimes it seems the ends of my hairs are trying to curl *upward* back up around themselves. My hair is also pretty grabby and does get into tangles a lot. I also have a ton of split ends and midshaft splits that I'm slowly trying to snip out. I suspect the ssks are the culprits for at least some of those splits.

Hairkay
September 7th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I have tons of ssks. I will sit on the couch, absentmindedly finger combing, and every few inches on every stroke I will find them (all right, I might be exaggerating). I cut them out when s&d-ing, but I cannot get them all, there will always be more. I suspect part of it has to do with my curl pattern and part of it with the fineness of my hair. My curls seem to spiral one direction for a while, then do an about face and start curling the other way, and sometimes it seems the ends of my hairs are trying to curl *upward* back up around themselves. My hair is also pretty grabby and does get into tangles a lot. I also have a ton of split ends and midshaft splits that I'm slowly trying to snip out. I suspect the ssks are the culprits for at least some of those splits.

Hi Enting,

yes the ends of my hair curls upward back on themselves all the time. Whole corkscrew spirals try to form bigger spirals so its spirals inside of spirals.

enting
September 7th, 2015, 02:51 PM
It's craziness, isn't it, Hairkay? I think I've actually caught a few backing-up curls in the act of forming knots.

Hairkay
September 7th, 2015, 06:05 PM
It's craziness, isn't it, Hairkay? I think I've actually caught a few backing-up curls in the act of forming knots.

Yes, it happens before my own eyes sometimes.

butter52
September 8th, 2015, 05:06 AM
I also get them, but honestly all I do is swear and then ignore their existance. Just cant be bothered...

aurorae
September 8th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I already foresee them in my future.lol.chopped a few transitioning pieces at the back and its like SSK heaven back there,though i notice its only after doing a heatless stretch and shrinkage starts happening.But just at the back,FOR NOW!

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 15th, 2016, 12:06 AM
I get these bad when I forget to ACV rinse.

Totty
December 16th, 2016, 04:38 AM
Got them. Snipping off. Multiple a week because my hair curls up at the ends. Some products are worse, some are better.

littlestarface
December 16th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I always get these always, sometimes I see them with a piece of lint in the middle. I just cut abit above the knot, it;s not worth trying to undo and save.

I swear something is going in my hair and tying them when i'm not looking and it pisses me off and kinda scares me:shudder:

Anje
December 16th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I get them, though not in great numbers. I swear silicones make them form more for me, but clearly that can't be the only cause. Still, I got TONS of them when I tried messing around with serum.

It might be worth mentioning that my hair (at least when long, not used to thinking of it as not long yet) is the sort that forms funny little þ-shaped loops, especially when wet. It's pretty easy to imagine some of those turning into fairy knots.