PDA

View Full Version : Question about this shampoo and conditioner

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
I know it's a general rule of thumb to I guess...use a sulfate free shampoo? But money has been tight:rolleyes:. So I decided to get the V05 conditioner and shampoos. One for moisture and one for balancing. My question is...is it okay to use a regular shampoo with sulfates on my wash days? I wash my hair every other day, and deep condition once every two days. And then on the off days where I'm not shampoo washing or deep conditioning I just so-wash. So would it be okay to use this shampoo? I can't afford the nice sulfate free shampoos. But I do dilute the shampoo a bit so that it's no so stripping. But this brand gives me a lot of slip. Even for it being a shampoo with sulfates in it. I'm having to use the conditioner as a co-wash, leave in, and a deep conditioner. Which my hair seems to be enjoying. So is this an okay thing to be doing for now? At least until I can stack up on some money. It kind of sucks being in college mainly just because my money is so tight. I have another bottle I forgot to mention earlier. So in total I have two bottles of conditioner and one shampoo bottle which all costs 3$. Although this brand is rather cheap my hair responds well to it. So is this okay? I'm just kind of nervous. Is simplicity an okay thing to practice in a hair journey? Or is it better to be a bit meticulous and somewhat complicated? I'm sort of at a cross roads.

Thanks in advance guys!

meteor
August 22nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
I don't see a problem with the products and routines you mentioned. :)

About sulfates, I guess it depends a lot on why you want to avoid sulfates. Do you have some sensitivity to them? If so, I'd say it's worth replacing them. Also, maybe it's worth trying to stretch washes a bit or diluting well in a separate bottle before every wash, so you'd use less product and less concentrated detergents on scalp and hair.

I think some people avoid sulfates just because they've heard they are bad, but there isn't much support for that claim. (More on this here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/sulfates)
Sure, sulfates irritate, but so do all other cleansers and solvents, including water. Just make sure you don't marinate in sulfates for a long time, and that's enough precaution for most people (This doesn't apply to some skin conditions, of course - it's very different for psoriasis, eczema, etc - please talk to your dermatologist :) ).

Luckily, I don't have sensitivity to sulfates and I tend to choose them over any other cleansers, because they are more functional (aesthetically and from detangling perspective), and also they let me stretch washes and keep my scalp cleaner and happier, but that's just me.

Is simplicity an okay thing to practice in a hair journey?

Of course! :agree: It's not only okay, I think it's great! :D I find simplicity works best:
- minimal manipulation;
- simple and heat-free styling;
- not over-washing, not over-brushing...

Growing hair out is more about what you don't do (don't over-manipulate, don't damage) than what you do (just keep it protected).

It can get more involved if the hair is badly damaged and needs a lot of babying not to break off, but, in general, I think it's best to keep it simple. It's also easier to keep up! ;)

ravenreed
August 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Some people find they need sulfate based shampoo. Some do better without. My scalp hates SLS, but my hair loves it. So, several times a month, I shampoo from my ears down and everything is happy. Otherwise, I CO-wash every other day and my hair is doing just fine. FWIW, repeated exposure to SLS gives me inflammation dermatitis, so I do avoid it as much as possible.

Nique1202
August 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
The thing about commercial shampoos and conditioners is that they've done a good bit of experimentation to find blends that work and are safe for most users. Unless you're allergic or have a bad reaction to an ingredient (SLS and SLES can cause skin irritations in some people) or it does things to your hair that you don't like and can't compensate for (eg. sulfates strip oils from hair, if you don't condition/oil enough to replenish them they can be drying) there is absolutely no reason to avoid using it.

tl;dr If it makes your hair happy, then use it.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
It's perfectly *fine*. You don't need expensive products for them to be good. If it works for you, don't mess with it. If something works for you, that's worth a lot and I'd not experiment with anything else. Just my 2cts.

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 03:41 PM
I don't see a problem with the products and routines you mentioned. :)

About sulfates, I guess it depends a lot on why you want to avoid sulfates. Do you have some sensitivity to them? If so, I'd say it's worth replacing them. Also, maybe it's worth trying to stretch washes a bit or diluting well in a separate bottle before every wash, so you'd use less product and less concentrated detergents on scalp and hair.

I think some people avoid sulfates just because they've heard they are bad, but there isn't much support for that claim. (More on this here: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/sulfates)
Sure, sulfates irritate, but so do all other cleansers and solvents, including water. Just make sure you don't marinate in sulfates for a long time, and that's enough precaution for most people (This doesn't apply to some skin conditions, of course - it's very different for psoriasis, eczema, etc - please talk to your dermatologist :) ).

Luckily, I don't have sensitivity to sulfates and I tend to choose them over any other cleansers, because they are more functional (aesthetically and from detangling perspective), and also they let me stretch washes and keep my scalp cleaner and happier, but that's just me.

Of course! :agree: It's not only okay, I think it's great! :D I find simplicity works best:
- minimal manipulation;
- simple and heat-free styling;
- not over-washing, not over-brushing...

Growing hair out is more about what you don't do (don't over-manipulate, don't damage) than what you do (just keep it protected).

It can get more involved if the hair is badly damaged and needs a lot of babying not to break off, but, in general, I think it's best to keep it simple. It's also easier to keep up! ;)

Well thank you so much. I just needed some insight really. So thank you :)

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 03:43 PM
It's perfectly *fine*. You don't need expensive products for them to be good. If it works for you, don't mess with it. If something works for you, that's worth a lot and I'd not experiment with anything else. Just my 2cts.

Yea that makes perfect sense ;)

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 03:45 PM
The thing about commercial shampoos and conditioners is that they've done a good bit of experimentation to find blends that work and are safe for most users. Unless you're allergic or have a bad reaction to an ingredient (SLS and SLES can cause skin irritations in some people) or it does things to your hair that you don't like and can't compensate for (eg. sulfates strip oils from hair, if you don't condition/oil enough to replenish them they can be drying) there is absolutely no reason to avoid using it.

tl;dr If it makes your hair happy, then use it.

Shampoos with SLS really help with my dandruff situation. After shampooing , conditioning, and then oiling my scalp I haven't been bothered with dandruff in almost a full year. So yea I guess I'll keep this regimen I have for myself going. :) thanks guys.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM
Shampoos with SLS really help with my dandruff situation. After shampooing , conditioning, and then oiling my scalp I haven't been bothered with dandruff in almost a full year. So yea I guess I'll keep this regimen I have for myself going. :) thanks guys.

I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and I find that harsh sulfate shampoos keep my SD at bay - pretty much decently!

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 03:53 PM
I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and I find that harsh sulfate shampoos keep my SD at bay - pretty much decently!

Do you use any oils? Or just simply shampoo?

Nadine <3
August 22nd, 2015, 04:01 PM
I use VO5, my hair likes it too! I love how versatile they are, I used to use the conditioner as a CO wash (works for some people, my scalp didn't like it) I can use it as a rinse out, and a leave in, and I find they're a great conditioner to use for an SMT. I don't feel like they dry out my hair unless I'm over washing my hair. So nope...nothing wrong with VO5. Simplicity is a good thing when it comes to hair anyways. I like the coconut one and the strawberry smoothie scent the best :)

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Do you use any oils? Or just simply shampoo?

My entire "routine" is in my signature. :) I WCC (wash & double condition), then I may or may not use ROO (the rinse-out oil method), and then I conclude with the LOC method (leave-in, gel, serum).

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 04:25 PM
I use VO5, my hair likes it too! I love how versatile they are, I used to use the conditioner as a CO wash (works for some people, my scalp didn't like it) I can use it as a rinse out, and a leave in, and I find they're a great conditioner to use for an SMT. I don't feel like they dry out my hair unless I'm over washing my hair. So nope...nothing wrong with VO5. Simplicity is a good thing when it comes to hair anyways. I like the coconut one and the strawberry smoothie scent the best :)

Ahhh me too! It's a nice brand of conditioners and shampoos for a good bargain :)

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 04:26 PM
My entire "routine" is in my signature. :) I WCC (wash & double condition), then I may or may not use ROO (the rinse-out oil method), and then I conclude with the LOC method (leave-in, gel, serum).

Oh okay. And I'm gonna have to surf around here and find out more about the ROO method. Seems interesting. Thank you :)

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 04:38 PM
Oh okay. And I'm gonna have to surf around here and find out more about the ROO method. Seems interesting. Thank you :)

I'm sorry I'm making you surf around, but it's a lot to be explaining in messages all over again. :o That's why I put it in my signature. If you have questions on the routine, just ask!

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry I'm making you surf around, but it's a lot to be explaining in messages all over again. :o That's why I put it in my signature. If you have questions on the routine, just ask!

Pfft don't apologize. It's okay. If anything I'll just google it. And thank you! :)

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 07:12 AM
Pfft don't apologize. It's okay. If anything I'll just google it. And thank you! :)

You're welcome! :D