PDA

View Full Version : silicone based products

DollyDagger
August 22nd, 2015, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

Im currently in the experimental phase of a silicone hiatus.

There seems to be differing opinions on silicones. What has your experiences with them been like.

do you still use products that contain silicone?

what sort of products are they?

If so - what benefits do you think they provide?

Did you eliminate silicones from your regimen and then eventually add them back in? why?

Do you know your hair porosity?

If you stopped using silicones what improvements and benefits did you observe?

What did you replace your silicone-based products/stylers with?

and anything else about silicones you'd like to expound on ..: )

T.I.A for sharing
:blossom:
DD

Nadine <3
August 22nd, 2015, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

Im currently in the experimental phase of a silicone hiatus.

There seems to be differing opinions on silicones.
What has your experiences with them been like.

Yes

My favorite is a leave in from Garnier. It's the one in the orange bottle, I think it's called Frizz Defy. It has a cone that builds up, but I love it. I don't use it every wash, the effects last through 2-3 washes for me. The rinse out conditioner I use that has cones is from Pantene. I love the Ultra light, the cones don't build up and they're light so my hair doesn't get weighted down.

Slip, mostly. A nice protective barrier around my fragile ends. I have some damaged layers left in my hair from my chin length, razored mess I had. They like grabbing onto my other hair and holding on for dear life. The cones help detangle and keep it detangled.

Did you eliminate silicones from your regimen and then eventually add them back in? why?
I found LHC because I had just chopped my hair off from APL to chin, because my hair was so crunchy. I had tried using a sulfate free Burts Bees shampoo and conditioner set, and that went fine, but I tried using a "moroccan argan oil" serum with it. I didn't know any better, but it was basically just a bottle of silicone. It had worked well for me when I was using sulfates, so I continued to use it. Eventually, I cut off my hair to chin length because it was so dry and snappy. I kept trying to use the serum after the cut to "fix" the dryness, even trying to use it as an overnight treatment. My hair just kept getting worse and worse, so I started googling and I found LHC. When I realized I was using cones and not using anything to remove them, I ditched the serum for a bottle of olive oil. I clarified my hair and ditched cones, and started trying all sorts of sulfate free stuff. Eventually I realized I need sulfates, and cones are becoming increasingly helpful as I gain length. My hair is fine and gets weighed down by cones really easily, so I just use them sparingly.

My waves! Cones tend to pull my waves out a little bit but other than that not a whole lot.

Oils. For the longest time I used mostly olive, then I tried coconut (doesn't work as a leave in...like at all) and then I discovered grapeseed. I still use these on days I don't use my coney leave in.

T.I.A for sharing
:blossom:
DD

Hope this is helpful! I've jumped back and forth from cone to cone free quite a few times lol

Edit...um okay so I quoted you and then accidently just answered the questions in the quote...not really what I had in mind but...shush I just woke up...lol

DollyDagger
August 22nd, 2015, 10:30 AM
Hope this is helpful! I've jumped back and forth from cone to cone free quite a few times lol

Edit...um okay so I quoted you and then accidently just answered the questions in the quote...not really what I had in mind but...shush I just woke up...lol

helpful and lightening quick :) wow youre good!

no worries..it worked out fine. I know what you mean my coffee hasnt quite kicked in yet :)

alexis917
August 22nd, 2015, 10:39 AM
When I use silicones on healthy hair, I find I get buildup/tangles, and it gets greasy more quickly. However, as my hair is a bit damaged now from dye, I apply a silicone serum from Hask to my ends. I don't really notice a significant difference with or without silicones.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 11:04 AM

Yes I do, all the time!

Conditioners, leave-ins, serums. All except for in my shampoo. I have SD and an oily scalp, so I stay away from oils and silicones on the scalp.

Slip, a *lot* of slip, and if you have the right conditioner(s), you barely need to detangle! No knots. Awesome!!! And totally worth it.

Yes. Horrible tangles!

Medium/Normal.

No benefits from stopping, only downsides, esp. on longer hair. It really doesn't matter much on shorter hair, but on longer hair... it does!

Nothing (as far as stylers go) as I didn't have any available to me. Stuff like the Inecto coconut conditioner.

They're not the devil. Don't let anyone fool you. If you clarify on a regular basis, nothing can basically go wrong.

meteor
August 22nd, 2015, 12:14 PM

Yes. More so now than I used to (when hair was shorter).

Rinse-out conditioners, leave-in conditioners, serums.
I don't use silicones in pre-poo treatments and in shampoos. Also, I tend to go easy on volatile silicones (because they can seemingly cause some dryness as they evaporate).

Protection, slip, shine and excellent detangling properties.

Yes. I got serious tangling and also some breakage in weaker, more fragile areas where I manipulated hair more.

Low (normal) porosity roots and length. High porosity ends.

In the short run: more volume, more wave and texture, cleaner feeling, voluminous hair.
No benefits in the long run, only downsides - especially tangling and lack of protection.

Mineral oil and grapeseed oil and other drying oils were OK as replacement. But why bother, if silicones do the job without attracting as much lint/dust and without all the "drying oils" problems (http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html)? :)

I think if you like some benefits of silicones but also have issues with them building up, feeling dry or greasy, it might help to find products with lighter silicones (e.g. amodimethicone) or clarify periodically or rotate products with cones with products without cones.

You can check out lighter vs. harder-to-remove silicones here: List of silicones and their solubility - http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.html

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
Not as much as in the past, but sometimes, yes.

Conditioners :) Mind you - I don't use them on a daily basis!

They make my hair sleeker - I have to watch out for build-up, though.

Yup, I cut down on 'cones, because once I start using them regularly, my hair starts to split. It's like passing a magic border, one day, they still work, the next - oh, nope, my ends become crunchy and I have to clarify. If used sparingly, they seem to provide.. some kind of protection :P

From my hair's behaviour, I believe it's low porosity.

No excessive splitting.

Coconut oil, I guess, and more thorough conditioning.

Not really. It's okay to have them in case of need, but I use them as little as I can. In this way, I can benefit from them!

Marika
August 22nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
I feel like lapushka and meteor said it all :D I went cone-free for 2+ years (my hair was virgin back then, so not very damaged) and I've never had so much breakage than I did during those two years. I still can't believe how stupid I was and didn't go back to cones sooner :brickwall

I do use cone-free products like shampoo but I can't go 100 % cone-free if I want long hair. More like 70 % cones and 30 % cone-free works best for me.

I like my shampoos to be cone-free because my scalp starts to itch easily. And coney shampoos leave my hair feeling 'dirty', so that's another reason why I prefer cone-free. But when it comes to conditioners, I prefer cones because I need all the slip and 'protection' I can get. My hair is very fine, fragile and tangle-prone. I think it's low porosity because I don't see any benefits when using oils etc. They just sit on top of my hair.

I think cones vs. cone-free is something everyone has to experience themselves. There isn't just one way to long hair and it took a little while before I learnt it. It's so easy to come here on LHC and read about 'new' stuff like not using cones, conditioner only washing, henna etc. Yeah, not that great (for me :p) but fortunately I've gotten some great tips too over these years.

ETA: meteor has a good point. Not all silicones are the same. I usually avoid cones like cyclopentasiloxane but don't mind amodimethicone for example.

DollyDagger
August 22nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
Thank you all so far for sharing your knowledge and personal experience on the subject!

@alexis917- good point that more damaged hair could probably have a greater need for it.

@lapushka- I think youre right in saying they are not the devil that theyve been made out to be ..much like carbs :) vilified and misunderstood. Its all about context. My hairs already tangling at BSL.. i cant even imagine at longer lengths how exponentially difficult it becomes..I cant wait to find out though :)

@meteor- thanks for the link about the drying oils.I love sciency hair blog :) a wealth of info! I guess using them judiciously could definitely be an option.

@martyna_22- sounds like your experience with them was somewhat precarious.

@Marika- My hair is fine and fragile too ..not to mention wurly and super-tangle prone! :) Im in the initial phases of experimenting. I will definitely keep your anecdote in mind!

Frankenstein
August 22nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
Yes. Not constantly, I like to switch between cones and no cones.

Mainly conditioners but I have a few shampoos I use from time to time although I prefer cone-free 'poos.

Slip, shine, detangling, smoothness, softness

There was a long period of time when I was basically cone free, yes, although I still used them occasionally. I did add them back in because I thought I'd give them another chance - the conditioners I was using before were probably too heavy.

No but I suspect it to be normal to low.

My fine hair was much less weighed down and did not get that gunky-greasy feeling.

Suave Naturals conditioners and gentler shampoos.

I think everyone should at least give them a shot to see how they work on their hair. And I agree that they're not the devil :)

Groovy Granny
August 22nd, 2015, 10:41 PM
yes

Joico Moisture S&C

slip/detangling

Yes....I tangled terribly without them

yes ~ LOW

None

Shea Moisture/raw shea butter products

Need 'em....love 'em :D

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 07:10 AM
@lapushka- I think youre right in saying they are not the devil that theyve been made out to be ..much like carbs :) vilified and misunderstood. Its all about context. My hairs already tangling at BSL.. i cant even imagine at longer lengths how exponentially difficult it becomes..I cant wait to find out though :)

It started at around BSL for me too. Which is why I went back to my silicone products about that time!

Happy growing! :D

DollyDagger
August 23rd, 2015, 09:11 AM
It started at around BSL for me too. Which is why I went back to my silicone products about that time!

Happy growing! :D

thnx same to you! :)

Baby
August 23rd, 2015, 11:18 AM
Yes

a "water sulable" silicone serum from a local Swedish brand Klippoteket

they provide slip, shine and antistatic. My hair easily becomes static otherwise. What is positive with this particular product is that it is fragrance free and I do not need to use it on my scalp. I use a fragrance free sulfate free shampoo and this silicone serum. I have yet to experience buildup but the positive in skipping conditioner is that my scalp do not itch and I dont get pimples or raches.
Yes, they are not good for the environment so I tried to skip them and used the "shine on" product from John Masters Organics insted and experiemented with various different oils. But it is not really the same as silicones. I think the one I got the best results from was shea oil/butter, it is somewhat antistatic and my hair seemed to like it. Coconut oil in very small amounts made it look good aswell.
No, not really. My hair is fragile and reacts positively to small amounts of protein(tried a bunch of different proteins in the hunt for something to replace silicones with aswell) but gets really upset if I use it repeatedly.

None really. Except never needing to bother with buildup and getting too much silicone in the hair so it looks oily and ugly.

I think for me It could be replaced by shea oil, light proteins like silk-protein and the like but that takes a lot of work for me to maintain and is very unreliable. With silicones I can wash it and put the silicone serum in and know that my hair will look good even if I donīt do anything else with it. I will follow this thread eagerly because I would like to find an easy envirommentally friendly hair care routine that still will make my hair feel and look good while maintaining its health and prevent it from damage.

Well for me with fragile, thin and straight hair that gets static very easily and a scalp that is very sensitive there is no real option to silicones. But I will follow this thread and see if any other alternatives that I have not tried comes up.

allierat
August 23rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
Yes

A leave in oil product that has silicones in it and heat defence spray

They stop my hair getting too tangly.

Yes, I wanted to see if eliminating them would improve my hair. With no silicones my hair gets more tangles, with too many silicone products my hair looks lank and greasy. I added back small amounts of silicones not very frequently and it seems to work well for me.

Nope.

My hair had more body and wave.

Boots pink curl creme, silicone free conditioners and oils.

It's hard to find decent styling products without silicones!

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 04:16 PM
It's hard to find decent styling products without silicones!

That is *so* true, and pretty sad for people who'd like to have the option. In the US now you have the range "Shea Moisture", and there's a few leave-in creams that are silicone-free in that range. Downside? Expensive.

meteor
August 23rd, 2015, 05:22 PM
^ Yes, also, Kinky Curly products are silicone-free. And the Kinky Curly Curling Custard and Kinky Curly Knot Today both seem to enjoy a bit of a cult following. (More on this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16221)

Actually, I think there are more and more "curl" products out there that are specifically cone-free.
DevaCurl products, for example, and some Ouidad products...

Silicones can straighten the texture quite a bit, so some curlies avoid them.

DollyDagger
August 23rd, 2015, 07:16 PM
Silicones can straighten the texture quite a bit, so some curlies avoid them.

This is very true..if i ever used my One n only argan oil serum from sallys when i had a bit of curl going on it was sure to weigh them down and relax them considerably.

lapushka
August 24th, 2015, 02:45 PM
That's odd because since switching to silicones (and double conditioning), I actually have more of a wave pattern going than ever before. I think it has to do with moisture, TBH. I think the more good moisture you bring to the hair, the bouncier the wave/curl will be, but that's just a wacky theory of mine.

Robi-Bird
August 24th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I use Herbal Essences, for the moment and switch between various "types", all of which contain dimethicone. I use Tresemme keratin smooth on poof days and it has a variety of different 'cones. If I'm making my own conditioner, in the ideal set up, I'd have dimethicone and cyclomethicone but time/money = Herbal Essences is good enough. I have had success using Bamboo bioferment in my own experiments as a silicone sub but it is more expensive and less effective than the 'cones so I stick with them.

JustPam
August 24th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Occasionally yes

Serum only. I stopped using coney conditioners because it made oiling between washes a bit redundant, and I need to do that with my amount of damage.

Less tangles when I want to wear my hair down or just in a ponytail

For a while yes, but my midlengths to ends are processed and damaged so they needed some cones to prevent tangling

Not officially but if I were to guess I'd say my virgin hair is low and my processed hair is medium/high

I applied oils and humectants more often to try and fight the dry tanglyness, which was a good habit to get into for the health of my hair but it couldn't get the same "slip" effect as cones.

Instead of using my coney detangler spray after a wash I now use Kimberlilys defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277). And my conditioner is cone-free.

Everybodys hair has different needs, so cones are neither the devil nor the holy grail. My hair likes a little bit of cones, usually just before I'm due a wash anyway which is when I'm most likely to leave my ponytail loose (reduces the greaseball look). I did not do well on coney conditioner, I couldn't get enough moisture in and my ends started to feel like synthetic hair. I think I've found a process that works for me.

meteor
August 24th, 2015, 04:39 PM
That's odd because since switching to silicones (and double conditioning), I actually have more of a wave pattern going than ever before. I think it has to do with moisture, TBH. I think the more good moisture you bring to the hair, the bouncier the wave/curl will be, but that's just a wacky theory of mine.
^ Sure, moisture level is critical for bouncy, defined curls :agree: , but anything that can weigh things down too much or cause build-up (e.g. some occlusives, including silicones) could potentially be a problem for some textures.
Which is why some traditional "curly routines" focus on cone-free products - e.g. the Curly Girl Method (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/no-poo/the-curly-girl-method-for-coily-hair/) (by Lorraine Massey), while others - e.g. Tightly Curly (http://www.tightlycurly.com/products/combingconditioners/) (by Teri LaFlesh) - are not against cones, but may recommend awareness of which ones are in which products.

Obviously, different products have different amounts of silicones, and some silicones are way lighter and cause less build-up than others, so it's very much up to experimentation and very YMMV. ;)

meteor
August 24th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I use Herbal Essences, for the moment and switch between various "types", all of which contain dimethicone. I use Tresemme keratin smooth on poof days and it has a variety of different 'cones. If I'm making my own conditioner, in the ideal set up, I'd have dimethicone and cyclomethicone but time/money = Herbal Essences is good enough. I have had success using Bamboo bioferment in my own experiments as a silicone sub but it is more expensive and less effective than the 'cones so I stick with them.

Awesome! :D So cool that you make your own conditioners from scratch sometimes. ;) That bamboo bioferment sounds like something that might help strengthen hair. What benefits did you notice from it? :)

Robi-Bird
August 24th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Awesome! :D So cool that you make your own conditioners from scratch sometimes. ;) That bamboo bioferment sounds like something that might help strengthen hair. What benefits did you notice from it? :)

It's really easy and I love formulating. When I am back from my cruise (leaving in five days) I want to buy more supplies and get back at it. I mostly make solid syndet shampoos and conditioner bars. It's nice to create some just for my hair and my needs. The bioferment basically acts like silicones. it improves slip and shine. It's a natural source for silica which is why it is a good replacement for dimethicone, etc. I can't say anything for increased strength, my hair is a work horse.

meteor
August 24th, 2015, 05:24 PM
^ Very cool! :applause Thanks a lot for sharing, Robi-Bird! :D

DollyDagger
August 24th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Obviously, different products have different amounts of silicones, and some silicones are way lighter and cause less build-up than others, so it's very much up to experimentation and very YMMV. ;)
Absolutely YMMV applies ..the product i mentioned One n only argan from sallys is a serum with quite a thick consistency. The first ingredient is dimethicone which i think is a heavier silicone.. So with my fine strands and such a heavy product my curls totally wilted if i ever used it when styling curly. Mostly i used minimal amounts when flat ironing only...maybe those with courser strands would really love the stuff.

allierat
August 29th, 2015, 07:14 AM
That is *so* true, and pretty sad for people who'd like to have the option. In the US now you have the range "Shea Moisture", and there's a few leave-in creams that are silicone-free in that range. Downside? Expensive.

It seems like the US has some stuff if you can look for it/afford it, never really found anything in the UK.

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 07:16 AM

Yes totally, I can accept that! :D

lapushka
August 29th, 2015, 07:17 AM
It seems like the US has some stuff if you can look for it/afford it, never really found anything in the UK.

The Boots own brand "curl cream" is supposed to give fairly good hold (not that much) but define your wave/curl great. I don't know whether or not it has silicones, tough. Not sure!

allierat
August 30th, 2015, 02:25 AM
The Boots own brand "curl cream" is supposed to give fairly good hold (not that much) but define your wave/curl great. I don't know whether or not it has silicones, tough. Not sure!

Yes that's the only one I've ever found, and it's cheap! It is silicone free, it's not great hold but it works ok, but if you use too much it leaves a heavy coated feel on your hair until you wash it out.

RainbowBowser
August 30th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Yes, but not all the time.

Aussie 3MM, this deep conditioner is still SMT friendly and contains a water soluble silicone, so I feel relatively justified in incorporating it into my routine.
(semi- regular, once a month type deal) My hair doesn't get too built up from it so I am not completely anti-silicone
Chi Silk Infusion and other varying heat protectants for the occasions I do use a heat tool (few times a year max)
(Dimethicone loaded, needs to be clarified out after)

It coats the hair, which is a double edged sword.
On one hand, some greatly benefit from it and feel less tangles, lock in moisture, etc.
On the other, they're hard to wash out, and as a F/M type I've struggled in part with buildup on my ends and actually causing more tangles.
The other reason people use silicones is for the shine, but my hair does that naturally anyway.

I reduced my silicone usage because my hair benefits from a more breathable/lightweight regimen.

Yes, its rather low, so thats why cones are more of a disadvantage on a regular basis for me.

My hair is just less tangly and prone to damage.

I just switched conditioners so now I use suave lavender (I'm currently loving it)
Cheap, silicone free conditioner is my favorite, and I still maintain silicone usage for conventional styling.
I solely use oil leave-ins on a normal basis as well

Differing hair types seems to have a lot to do with who benefits from them the most

lapushka
August 30th, 2015, 04:11 AM
Yes that's the only one I've ever found, and it's cheap! It is silicone free, it's not great hold but it works ok, but if you use too much it leaves a heavy coated feel on your hair until you wash it out.

Yes I think you'd only need a fingertip's worth for your length and volume. When I use cream, I only use a eurocoin's worth of the stuff for classic length hair, so that should tell you something.

Johannah
August 30th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Yes

Shampoos, conditioners, sprays, serums... The ones I use are from a Dutch brand.

Less tangles. And my HG conditioner contains silicones. It saved my hair so I keep on using it, with or without silicons.

Yes. It's hard to find good products without silicons because my hair loves protein. And quit using silicons didn't do much for my hair, so why bother?

Definitely low porous.

Not sure. I went completely natural and my hair was softer for some months, but I think this has more to do with SLS than with silicons tbh.

Petal Fresh shampoo and conditioner, a Dutch brand conditioner for CO, and MO as a leave in.

If I could go back, I wouldn't quit using them. If you use products with silicons and your hair is healthy/feels good/looks good, no need to experiment. But off course that's your decision!

parkmikii
August 30th, 2015, 12:00 PM

Yes, I do

Conditioners and a leave in that I use pretty rarely

They provide pretty nice slip and shine, they basically make my hair less tangly

I did. They are back now because sadly silicone free conditioners are hard to find here and the only one I found isn't produced anymore

I think it's pretty low, I'm not sure though

I didn't notice any big difference. My hair was pretty happy anyhow as I am using a dilluted sulfate shampoo.

With oils mostly, but I also used the cone free conditioner.

I think it was worth trying to go cone free and I didn't quit it especially because I wanted to skip the silicones, but the cone free conditioner was pretty much way cheaper than the silicone one.