PDA

View Full Version : Hairdresser always cuts too much

tinacristina
August 22nd, 2015, 12:59 AM
I live in Northern San Diego area. I have told my hairdresser since I started seeing her 2.5 years ago I want my hair to grow out. Yet she always cuts so much that my hair is shorter than when I went to see her.

December 12th was the last time I had a hair color or trim. I'm finally embracing my silver hair and I love it!! I like to trim up my around my face yet I don't want my hair chopped off either.

How do you keep your hair long? How often do you get it trim? Is there a hairdresser in San Diego that will dust my ends than cut 3" off?

I am to concern to try someone new. Should I just forget about my a hair style? I still like my hair to grow and be like it use to be. Back then it was 3 years with no trim at all. Until I went to another hair dresser who butchered it.

Is it me? Or why can't hair dressers listen. I want long hair!!

Advice all you long hair ladies.

Thanks for your input.

missblueeyes
August 22nd, 2015, 02:33 AM
Now, first things first. What do you tell your hairdresser when you enter? Do you want them to "cut off the ends" or to you tell them exactly how much you want them to cut off? Because, if you tell them to take off the ends, they might as well take as much off as they want because you didn't specify how much you want taken off.
Some of your sentences don't quite make sense to me so I apologize if you already answered my question in your starting post.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 02:34 AM
You just don't go for trims anymore - that's it. And you learn to trim on your own. Look up "Feye's self-trimming method" on Google. That should lead you to a livejournal page where the instructions are.

I haven't had a trim since November 2013. It's a myth you need trims that much, even every 3 months.

PalomaSincera
August 22nd, 2015, 02:44 AM
Self trimming doesn't work for everyone ^^

My advice is this... If you think she's a good hair dresser and you like how she cuts your hair (besides the fact that she cuts off too much), just be straight up honest with her. "Look, you're a good hair dresser and I'd like to continue coming to you, but please only cut this off," and show her exactly how much by grabbing a strand and pointing it out. If she doesn't do it your way after that, then worry about finding another hair dresser, another solution, or whatever.
I have been very firm with my hair dresser and when I leave my hair feels so much better and it doesn't look shorter at all.
It's hard being up front with someone that you don't know very well, but it will make for a more honest and comfortable relationship with your hair dresser.

LauraAlaina
August 22nd, 2015, 06:09 AM
I will have to agree with maybe not trimming it so much. I'm a hairstylist and honestly it really depends what you get done to it, chemically. To my blonde longies I say come every 2/3 months just to trim ends/layers. But then I also have virgin haired clients which only come and see me once a year! You do not needs to get it cut every 6 weeks. Space it out a little longer so you see some progress. Only cut it if you have serious damage or an uneven hem! And also, make sure you'e VERY clear about what an inch is! When I show clients an actual inch sometimes they're like oh wait, not that! half of that!

Night_Kitten
August 22nd, 2015, 07:53 AM
If your face-framing layers aren't very difficult to cut in, you could learn to do it yourself or find a barber to do it for you (I've heard barbers tend to listen and do what you say more than hairstylists, so it might be a good idea to try), if however you have a more complicated style (cutting wise) try to talk to your current stylist about her taking off too much, or come to trims less often (or both)... Hope you find a solution :)

Seeshami
August 22nd, 2015, 08:14 AM
I think people need to buy their hair dressers a ruler and show them how to use it and demand they do so. But as my boss said yesterday "Alicia just doesn't care she enjoys pissing people off. It gives her some kind of sick glee and satisfaction"

Maybe make a contract that says I want this. You will cut this and only this or i will not be obligated to pay anything.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2015, 08:53 AM
I honestly have never had this problem but once, and I think it's because I confused the stylist. I told her only trim the tips about 1/2 inch, but I was babbling about how I wanted to eventually cut off the layering, and she cut off the layering, which was about 3 inches. Ack!

If you like this stylist, I think you should have a frank discussion with her, telling her she has been cutting too much. Show her how much you would like to have trimmed off. Also go for trims less often. Unless you have a lot of damage or your hair grows very unevenly and you like an even hem, you shouldn't need much trimming.

missc1115
August 22nd, 2015, 09:06 AM
You said, "Yet she always cuts so much that my hair is shorter than when I went to see her." <===isn't that the idea of getting any hair cut?

I suggest if you want a very simple cutting of the ends or some other very basic cutting, try a barber shop. Or, do you have a friend or relative who could assist with the dusting of the ends?

cadencesday
August 22nd, 2015, 09:11 AM
I go to a beauty college and get 4 dollar trims. Students are fearful to cut long hair so to add to that fear I tell them that I love my length and only trim the dead ends which is only 1/2 to 1 inch of my hair. I'm in my late 30's and I'm finally having great cuts for only 4 bucks. My new hair motto is nice gets you nowhere with your hair so make sure you get what you want especially if your paying for it, even if it's 4 buck. I paid someone 176 dollars to cut my hair for a wedding and she took over half of the length of my hair and kept saying your hair is so beautiful before she start cutting it. I left in shock and wanted too cry and until this day I can't believe I paid her. I've never had luck getting my hair done. I quit getting trims for years before I found the beauty college.

meteor
August 22nd, 2015, 09:21 AM
Tinacristina, I used to believe that salon visits were necessary and, boy, was I wrong. :nono:

So wrong that here is what I wrote in the "Give Yourself the piece of (hair) advice you wish you did long ago... " thread:

2) You don't go to a salon to get "better" hair - just for a specific transformation (cut, color...). Every time you enter a salon you will leave it with LESS hair. If your goal is thicker and longer - avoid.
[...]
5) Hair is dead! Let it Rest In Peace!
You can't fundamentally improve on it - just preserve it and let it thrive on it's own.

Feye's self-trim method, S&D missions are all helpful and give you back that control of how much you cut. :D

If you have to get trims/color/whatever at salons, space out the visits as much as possible (trim only splits/damage), go to a trusted hairdresser and be super-specific! Bring very clear pictures, ruler, your own tools/products if you need them, repeat multiple times exactly what you want (and what you don't want!) and be ready to stand up and leave any moment if you feel like the hairdresser is trying to indulge in his own creative vision more than give you the exact cut you asked.

meteor
August 22nd, 2015, 09:27 AM
Maybe make a contract that says I want this. You will cut this and only this or i will not be obligated to pay anything.

This is funny! :lol: But seriously, it's a great idea! :agree: I noticed that if they think you are dead-serious about not having more than you ask cut off, they actually follow your instructions. It's better to be over-the-top strict than wishy-washy in those situations!

Another thing I forgot to mention... I find that barber's are more respectful with trims, they are more likely to follow client's clear instructions than their personal vision. But maybe it was just my luck! I don't know. :D

tinacristina
August 23rd, 2015, 12:28 AM
You just don't go for trims anymore - that's it. And you learn to trim on your own. Look up "Feye's self-trimming method" on Google. That should lead you to a livejournal page where the instructions are.

I haven't had a trim since November 2013. It's a myth you need trims that much, even every 3 months.

I'm going to check out that site. I would love to know how or o mean control how to trim my hair. Tysm!

AutobotsAttack
August 23rd, 2015, 12:32 AM
You know...I've had that exact same problem. I may be wrong, but the. Again I may not be, but sometimes I think certain stylists (not all of them) get jealous. Depending on their clients hair and hair health. I could be totally wrong so correct me if I am but it's just an opinion of mine and what I think. I've met some absolute great hairstyles with healthy long lovely flowing hair. But the ones I seem to have trouble with are the ones who have like 3 inches of fried,dyed, and laid to the side hair. And they just don't listen to a single word you say

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 06:58 AM
I'm going to check out that site. I would love to know how or o mean control how to trim my hair. Tysm!

Here's the link, why don't I spare you the trouble! :)
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

mz_butterfly
August 23rd, 2015, 07:09 AM
Why keep going to a hairdresser that doesn't listen to you or respect your wishes about what you want to do with your own hair?

You can find a new hairdresser. Enlist a trusted friend or family member to help you trim. Trim it yourself. Or quit cutting for awhile.

I can't understand why you would continue going to someone for 2.5 years knowing they don't cut your hair as you ask or wish. It makes no sense.

Have you never spoken up to her and said NO NO.....you cut way too much, my hair will never grow like this? Have you never once told her that she isn't cutting your hair correctly?

Why do you keep going back?