PDA

View Full Version : Why do my hair roots and scalp ache during winter?

sweetlily
August 21st, 2015, 11:17 PM
In the winter months, I do take care of my hair and washes as I do during the summer. But I have pain in the roots as if some one is pulling parts of my hair in the crown area and center of the head. Do other long hair people also fiind the same or is this unrealistic? Last year's winter - I managed with aspirin tablets. I do not suffer from dandruff and normally have my regular hair washes at least 2-3 times a week.

MoreAutumnForMe
August 22nd, 2015, 06:52 AM
Do you wear a hat? Might be the sudden temperature change when you go outdoors?

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
I have no idea what causes that, but I don't even have particularly long hair yet, and this happens to me in the fall months, or even if my AC is on high in the house. Sometimes it doesn't even need to be cold. I think that happens from possibly the new growth of hair that happens honestly. Good question though, because I've always wondered that too.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 08:27 AM
In the winter months, I do take care of my hair and washes as I do during the summer. But I have pain in the roots as if some one is pulling parts of my hair in the crown area and center of the head. Do other long hair people also fiind the same or is this unrealistic? Last year's winter - I managed with aspirin tablets. I do not suffer from dandruff and normally have my regular hair washes at least 2-3 times a week.

Is it located underneath the updo that you do? Because that might be it right there. I also have a little bit of scalp aches underneath where I do my updo, but it all goes away when my hair is washed (massaging does it good). Maybe you can incorporate a massage into your routine, with oil or without, right before a wash.

meteor
August 22nd, 2015, 08:34 AM
I think hats can cause some scalp ache over time. If that's the cause, I'd try scarves and hoods instead.

Also, some people have ache/discomfort at the roots when sebum accumulates there. I think we have a few members here who mentioned that their scalp produces more sebum in winter-time. If that's your case, I'd try brushing or massaging the roots to dislodge sebum between washes. The waxy substance of sebum can sort of "set" the hair at the roots where it accumulates, but if you agitate it/warm it up with scalp massages or brushing, it helps. This is also good practice before every wash anyway - easier to cleanse scalp with a good massage.

sweetlily
August 22nd, 2015, 09:56 AM
I wear on a woolen headband but that does not cover my head completely or a wool cap during winter and tie my hair into a pony. I dare not pull my hair due to the pain and weight on the roots.

sweetlily
August 22nd, 2015, 10:04 AM
Sure Iapushka. Will try massages this time and hope I do not cut the length this winter. Generally when I can't manage the pain, at the least I cut off the length with some reason or the other so I can avoid the weight hanging down. it always felt better..

Groovy Granny
August 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
Also, some people have ache/discomfort at the roots when sebum accumulates there. I think we have a few members here who mentioned that their scalp produces more sebum in winter-time. If that's your case, I'd try brushing or massaging the roots to dislodge sebum between washes. The waxy substance of sebum can sort of "set" the hair at the roots where it accumulates, but if you agitate it/warm it up with scalp massages or brushing, it helps. This is also good practice before every wash anyway - easier to cleanse scalp with a good massage.
I have had that discomfort and do precisely what was suggested :thumbsup:
Usually I use my BBB before bed, when I get up, and before a shampoo.
I don't have dandruff or an oily scalp, and my hair can be very dry in Winter, so the brushing helps distribute the sebum, eases the discomfort, and adds some natural texture.
Good luck :)

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
Sure Iapushka. Will try massages this time and hope I do not cut the length this winter. Generally when I can't manage the pain, at the least I cut off the length with some reason or the other so I can avoid the weight hanging down. it always felt better..

I have noticed, as my buns grew steadily heavier, that these "aches" increased a little. So yeah. I think it's the updo. I do mine in the same location 24/7, so yeah. It's probably that, for me at least. Massaging it during a wash is *heavenly*! I don't think it hurts the hair or scalp in any way, though. Hasn't so far.

Deborah
August 22nd, 2015, 02:03 PM
I have never noticed anything different in the cold weather. I wonder if the extra weight of a hat, scarf or hood on a tight but could account for it.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
I have never noticed anything different in the cold weather. I wonder if the extra weight of a hat, scarf or hood on a tight but could account for it.

For me it's not winter that does it. It's with my hair gaining length and my bun becoming a tad heavier.

Groovy Granny
August 22nd, 2015, 11:05 PM

For me it's not winter that does it. It's with my hair gaining length and my bun becoming a tad heavier.

I am noticing that the heaviness has increased recently as I get nearer to goal...but am not bothered every day...or even most days.

lapushka
August 23rd, 2015, 07:11 AM
I am noticing that the heaviness has increased recently as I get nearer to goal...but am not bothered every da...or even most days.

For me, it's about that time mid-week when my hair starts to get a tad greasy.

mira-chan
August 26th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Each hair follicle has a little tiny muscle attached called the arrector pilli muscle. This is is the same muscle that makes your hair stand on end and gives you goose bumps. When it's cold, hair has been in one position too long, or there is some clogging around the base of the hair that's holding the hair or makes it resist movement some way, you can get the aches. Any combination of the above will essentially cause a mini muscle cramp in each hair follicle. A bit of massage or some heat tends to help, just like for your other muscle cramps.

The longer the hair the more likely the hair is going to be in the same position longer and the more strain it can put on the follicle either through bun weight or from being pulled/ sat on. I would guess this effect is most noticeable after a nice growth spurt before the muscle can adjust to the new weight fully.

Asha
August 26th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Wow. That makes sense.

meteor
August 26th, 2015, 06:02 PM
^Interesting... I think this could be it, except I thought goosebumps don't last for long, no? (I don't get goosebumps more in cold winters than in hot summers, I don't think. :hmm: I think I only get goosebumps regularly when I swim, which is more of a summer-time activity for me.)
However, waxy sebum is runnier when it's hot and more solid in cold environment, so I can see how it can harden the roots a bit temporarily and feel uncomfortable. I guess that's easily solved by massaging, brushing roots with BBB or washing? :hmm:

mira-chan
August 26th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Goosebumps can happen from different things but the ache is not it. It's just that the same muscle is affected but a different response. It's also the same muscle that makes cat's fur fluff up when they get spooked by the way. :D In this case, the muscle contracts to make the goosebump and make the hair stand up a bit more. In the scalp ache I'm guessing it either gets pulled or strained some way instead of contracting. Kind of like it's easier to pull a muscle when you've been sitting for a while and then decide to run without a warm-up.

I have the waxy hard sebum, even in hot weather and it can make the base of the hair stiffer. If you force the hair into a new position then scalp aches begin, whether it's because the sebum is pulling the skin or the hair in the follicle is trying to bend weird and pulling the muscle. Massaging and washing helps, and I'm sure if you have more liquid sebum then the BBB will help too.

HairPlease
August 26th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Interesting, mira.
I'm also aware (I think this is right) that going from hot to cold narrows the arteries which could lead to that muscle doing it's thing. This could really be a problem with heating indoors, spending time in a hot room, then walking into a cold one or walking outside. A cut off of blood flow to the scalp may be a culprit?

yogagirl
August 26th, 2015, 07:28 PM
That is very interesting mira! Especially because just today I woke up with terrible scalp ache. My sebum is definitely on the waxy side and hmmm, it was pretty cold last night and I sleep under an open window... I wonder if that exasperated things...

mira-chan
August 26th, 2015, 07:31 PM
If you go from very warm to very cold, yes the vessels can constrict quite quickly. It wouldn't cut off blood flow significantly enough to do damage but it can cause a headache similar to brain freeze from ice cream, on top of the hair muscle cramps. Heck it might cause blood vessel muscle cramps. :D I don't know if this is what does happen as I haven't heard of that but if the temperature change is drastic enough it might.

mira-chan
August 26th, 2015, 07:38 PM
That is very interesting mira! Especially because just today I woke up with terrible scalp ache. My sebum is definitely on the waxy side and hmmm, it was pretty cold last night and I sleep under an open window... I wonder if that exasperated things...

It could have and I hope you're feeling better now.

I know if I sleep with my hair pushed in one position, for example I slid down my pillow and some of the hairs are angled up for the night, then I get up and hair has to obey at least some gravity and that causes the scalp ache. If it's cold it's worse. A bit of massaging the scalp tends to help a lot I find. A sleep cap can help as well if you can tolerate it.

Also if your scalp tolerates it, a couple of drops of carrier oil of choice (you can add EOs to it too) massaged into the scalp helps break up the very waxy sebum and make it flow down the hair a bit more. Don't use a lot, just a tiny bit to reduce friction of the scalp massage.

DollyDagger
August 27th, 2015, 11:02 AM
not in winter but late summer..lol
I just experienced this yesterday. After leaving my hair without washing for maybe it was 4 days or so? A very distinct achey bruised feeling. (scalp was otherwise fine-not oily, itchy,fakey etc) Its happened to me once before- also another time that i hadnt washed hair for a few days. Very odd sensation..it dissapated slowly a few hours after I S'd & C'd.

Anje
August 27th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Just a thought -- do you have any seasonal variation in your hair/scalp's oiliness? Mine (in contrast to most people around here) gets oily considerably faster in the winter, and I need to wash more. Combine that with the fact that lots of people get achy scalps when they need to wash, and it could explain what you're feeling, in part or in toto.

DollyDagger
August 27th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Just a thought -- do you have any seasonal variation in your hair/scalp's oiliness? Mine (in contrast to most people around here) gets oily considerably faster in the winter, and I need to wash more. Combine that with the fact that lots of people get achy scalps when they need to wash, and it could explain what you're feeling, in part or in toto.
I dont think that I have any seasonal variations I guess it was as you say from needing to wash. Also I changed my part to other
side just very recently. Combination of those 2 things mustve caused it. Im going to try stretching wash again and see if it happens.

missc1115
August 27th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Maybe this coming winter trying wearing a soft hat more often? I started wearing hats a couple years ago when I was living in extreme sunshine, awesome stuff hats.