PDA

View Full Version : Hair Bedtime Routine

LauraAlaina
August 21st, 2015, 06:07 AM
Forgive me if this was posted already, but I'm curious:

What is your nighttime hair routine, before bed, what do you do with your hair?

LauraAlaina
August 21st, 2015, 06:08 AM
Lately I've just been brushing it and putting it in a braid. I've heard of people oiling their hair before bed but honestly I only wash my hair once a week, I can't be oiling it every night I'd look like a walking greasebomb!

Platzhalter
August 21st, 2015, 06:32 AM
Most of the time, I just brush it and massage some peppermint EO into my scalp. Overnight oiling is only something for a few night or the night before washing day - for me, it would bee too much otherwise.

Hurven
August 21st, 2015, 06:36 AM
I don't really have a set nighttime routine, but I either sleep with it loose or I put it in pigtail braids. I do overnight oiling if the next day is washday.

tigress86
August 21st, 2015, 06:44 AM
Most nights it's spray conditioner, tangle teezer and a french braid. But when I'm tired I won't bother to do anything.

KittyBird
August 21st, 2015, 06:51 AM
I drape it over my pillow and go to sleep. Nothing more than that. :p
I used to wear a sleep cap, but I can't be bothered these days. I've been sleeping with my hair loose, just draped over my pillow for the last few months.

quirkybookworm
August 21st, 2015, 06:56 AM
I just finger detangle, and put my hair in two loose braids. The night before wash day, I oil my hair with coconut oil - which has done wondrous things for my hair. I really don't do much at nighttime. :D

lapushka
August 21st, 2015, 07:12 AM
I just don't do anything to it, esp. on day 1 and 2 after washing. Then day 3 I split the hair in half, split it in half again, and again, this to get possible tangles out and sheds as well; it's not exactly finger detangling - but it's nice and gentle. Then I always sleep with it loose. Draped over the pillow or bundled up underneath my head (I don't move much when sleeping).

Frankenstein
August 21st, 2015, 07:14 AM
Comb it, put it in a loose bun or braid and put a satin bonnet on over that.

Swan Maiden
August 21st, 2015, 07:18 AM
Detangle, brush with tangle teezer, side braid, dampen braid and lightly oil with ostrich oil, silk sleep cap. I usually damp oil every night, no problems with looking oily or buildup.

neko_kawaii
August 21st, 2015, 07:21 AM
Mostly take it down and toss it into a sleep cap. If I know I'll wash the next day then it gets combed, oiled, and braided.

dogzdinner
August 21st, 2015, 07:41 AM
Just brush and braid for me.

brickworld13
August 21st, 2015, 07:48 AM
Leave a day time braid as is and just fall asleep. If I had a bun, sometimes I leave it loose and sometimes I braid it. I'm not very consistent. If I have the flannel sheets on the bed, I have to wear a sleep cap because while cozy, they cause really bad tangles.

Theobroma
August 21st, 2015, 07:50 AM
More of a non-routine, really: pull out hairtoy, drape over pillow, go to sleep. :)

Stiria
August 21st, 2015, 08:10 AM
I just fingercomb and braid it.

missrandie
August 21st, 2015, 08:15 AM
Brush, flip up off my neck, sometimes sleep cap, and go to sleep on my silk pillow.

Arctic
August 21st, 2015, 08:33 AM
My hair is so short I don't really need to do anything.

I've been trying to migrate my morning showers into evening, but haven't been very successful yet. I wash my hair almost daily, so this would be part of my routine (when I get the new schedule to stick). I also like to use my aloe+essential oils scalp treatment in the evening, it's very relaxing. And If I have washed my hair in the evening and need it to look tip top in the morning, I might put it in a sectioned, wrapped high bun. This is not to protect my hair but to try and control my cowlick which usually explodes during the sleep. So the more I wash my hair in the evenings now, the more I'll be putting it in a damp bun. I didn't have this cowlick problem so bad when I wash(ed) my hair in the mornings and blowdried. Anyway I often also comb my hair in the evening too, whether I have washed or not. And, now that I hopefully learn the new showering schedule, I foresee more heatless waves too...

When my hair was longer before, I remember often dampening the ends a bit and adding tiny blob of conditioner. I also liked to bun and wrap a scarf over the bun but my hair mentality has shifted since then and I don't see myself wanting to go great length (pun intended) to protect my hair, as I don't strive for superlong hair.

hinabelle
August 21st, 2015, 08:36 AM
Coconut oil, BBB, twist it into a cinnabun and U-pin it, then sleep cap :) A bit of finger detangling here and there
and sometimes I put a hair strengthening/growth serum from Mane n' Tail on my scalp.

hannabiss
August 21st, 2015, 08:38 AM
Well starting this week I have been putting it into a Dutch braid for bed. Before I just slept with it loose.
Last night I coconut oiled the ends. I think i might do that more. The oils gone by morning. Whether it's soaked into hair or into my pillow not sure but I wash every two or three days so build up shouldnt be a problem.

brickworld13
August 21st, 2015, 08:44 AM
Well starting this week I have been putting it into a Dutch braid for bed. Before I just slept with it loose.
Last night I coconut oiled the ends. I think i might do that more. The oils gone by morning. Whether it's soaked into hair or into my pillow not sure but I wash every two or three days so build up shouldnt be a problem.

If I oil before bed, I have to tie it back in a braid or braids. If I leave it loose, I end up making my face breakout which is not fun.

Madora
August 21st, 2015, 10:03 AM
My hair just stays in its braided bun on top of my head. All my "hair activity" happens in the morning.

Groovy Granny
August 21st, 2015, 10:22 AM
I check for tangles with my wide tooth comb, then put it in a single English braid down my back.

ExpectoPatronum
August 21st, 2015, 10:35 AM
My hair isn't very long. I stick with the pineapple method (ponytail on top of head). It preserves my curls well and keeps my hair off my face and neck. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase.

MoreAutumnForMe
August 21st, 2015, 10:42 AM
I usually sleep in a cinnamon bun, but if it's not comfy I'll take it out and try to bundle the hair up beside me to minimize friction. I try to avoid sleeping with it down, though, partly to prevent damage and also to keep it from lying across my neck, which I don't like. One day, I might add oil treatment or make a bonnet.

Deborah
August 21st, 2015, 10:50 AM
Just brush and single braid it.

AutobotsAttack
August 21st, 2015, 10:55 AM
Every night I just tie my hair up in a loose bun, moisturize it with Shea Moisture Milk, and seal my ends and hair shaft with Jamaican black castor oil, then cover with a satin bonnet. I sleep extremely wild so I'm glad this bonnet can actually stay on my head. Lol

ghanima
August 21st, 2015, 11:19 AM
I love the evening routine, I do more to my hair in the evening that in the morning. But my hair is still not too long, and I keep experimenting.

What is most subject to experimentation is whether to comb or not my curly hair. I used to never comb them between shampoos and I may go back to that when my hair grow longer than APL. I don't have a definite position on this, but I pend to the side of combing them right now, with TT and/or the Widu brush. If I don't comb them somehow they don't feel as good. If comb them in the morning its a disaster, if I comb them in the evening the locks have time to form again. Sometimes, especially further in the week, as I shampoo once a week, after detangling I brush with the Mason Pearson, which definitely interferes with the curl but the morning after my hair have a special shine, I find.
After brushing I spray with water+acv, which makes a ton of difference, as my hair are super-thristy, and add a couple of drops of lavender oil, then braid loosely. I love when in the morning I let them out of the braid to smell the aroma of lavender.

I used plenty of vegetal oils in the past, just on the points, and sometimes deep condition overnight with oil, pre-shampoo, but I found it made me shed more hair, and after noticing it myself I read a post here in the forum of ktani, saying the same thing. I may give a try with coconut oil on the points only in the future, but as I am experimenting with mineral oil after shampoo I have to wait a little.
Another thing I am planning to implement is a scalp massage with aloe vera and eo, pretty much like arctic does, maybe a little simpler, with just one type of eo + the aloe possibly taken from the plant directly

ExpectoPatronum
August 21st, 2015, 11:25 AM
Every night I just tie my hair up in a loose bun, moisturize it with Shea Moisture Milk, and seal my ends and hair shaft with Jamaican black castor oil, then cover with a satin bonnet. I sleep extremely wild so I'm glad this bonnet can actually stay on my head. Lol

Oh I love that Shea Moisture Milk. It's one of the few products I've actually repurchased. I never thought to use it overnight! I usually work some into my hair in the morning.

meteor
August 21st, 2015, 11:47 AM
I don't do anything at all to my hair at night, normally.

I just take out my stick/fork and cover my braided bun loosely with a silky scarf for the night.

Sometimes, if my ends are dry, I'll run a drop or two of oil/serum/leave-in through them, but I would usually do that in the morning, right before combing and putting hair up.

I'm all about minimal manipulation. :)

lapushka
August 21st, 2015, 11:53 AM
Oh I love that Shea Moisture Milk. It's one of the few products I've actually repurchased. I never thought to use it overnight! I usually work some into my hair in the morning.

Can I just say... Your avatar is amazing, such nice curls, EP! :) :thumbsup:

Sunny_side_up
August 21st, 2015, 12:33 PM
Generally wash it every third day.(evening) Its pretty much dry before bed. If on a non wash day, i brush a couple times. I like to leave it out. Used to tie my hair up for bed once it got to apl in past. However now dont feel like doin that anymore. So out and flattened it is!

Carolyn
August 21st, 2015, 02:27 PM
If I've had it in a single braid for the day I just leave it that way. If I've had it bunned, I take it down, detangle and brush. Once in a great while I will oil it on the night before I plan to wash the next morning. No sleep cap, no satin pillowcase. My hair doesn't tangle all that much from sleeping.

Nadine <3
August 21st, 2015, 02:34 PM
If it's not already braided I braid it, usually a french or dutch braid. If it feels dry I run a bit of oil through it before hand. Then I just go to sleep on my silk pillowcase. Nothing special.

Lauraes
August 22nd, 2015, 08:09 PM
Take it down from whatever style it was in for the day. Comb through with a wide tooth comb. Wrap hair around hand like I'm going to put it in a bun and stick it in my sleep cap. Done. I also have a satin pillowcase, but I can't use just the pillowcase only and not the sleep cap or I still get really bad tangles because I'm such a restless sleeper and sometimes the pillow gets flung off the bed. I used to have that problem with the sleep cap too, but I tightened it and now it stays put. I don't just toss and turn, I thrash/kick/roll around. Whenever I have to share a bed with someone, they're usually mad in the morning because I punched/kicked them during the night. :lol:

cadencesday
August 22nd, 2015, 08:50 PM
I comb my hair only twice a day and wear in a braid for work. Lazy days I just leave it in a braid and go to bed. I put coconut oil in it to work twice a week if that night I'm going to wash it. I quit washing every day and it looks great. The days I wash it, I let it air dry and leave it alone.

yogagirl
August 22nd, 2015, 08:55 PM
Depends! I always comb with my wide toothed horn comb. Sometimes I BBB (scalp only). Sometimes I wear it in a top bun, esp when it needs to be washed soon, because my sebum seems to make my rosacea worse if I sleep with my hair down :confused: Some nights I just sleep with it loose.

enting
September 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Most nights I comb it out and bun it in a topknot. If I notice it's really dry, I'll add a little bit of oil to the ends. If the top of head is feeling sore, I'll braid it instead of bunning it. Occasionally, when I'm very tired, I'll just sleep with it uncombed and loose, though that's generally not a great idea with my tangle-prone hair.

Johannah
September 6th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Detangle when necessary (mostly not), put it in my sleeping cap and go to bed. :p

catasa
September 6th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Gather it into a high pony or bun with a loose silk scrunchie (high as in right on top of the head) to keep the friction from the pillow away from the "outer" frizz-prone hair layer as much as possible during the night. Other than that, just make sure that my silk pillow case is fresh! :p

jrmviola
September 6th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Loose draped over my pillow. Usually my hair doesnt tangle unless i sleep with it braided, which is very uncomfortable to me. Maybe brush the ends if needed but sometimes not even that.

sarahthegemini
September 6th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Take clip out of hair. Lay down and sleep. What can I say, I'm a minimalist!

SwordWomanRiona
September 6th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Finger-detangling, brushing and braiding :) Sometimes I oil the tassel, but only if I've worn heatless curls with some product (like salt water), which sometimes can dry out my ends a bit.

emilynella
September 6th, 2015, 09:06 PM
Take clip out of hair. Lay down and sleep. What can I say, I'm a minimalist!
Sames haha my hair is still pretty short still though. I dont think I would be able to sleep in braids.

yahirwaO.o
September 6th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Usually finger comb it and-or brush it depending of my mood! Down most of the time, braided when I want waves, but lately I've been sleeping in the tiniest and goffiest top knot twisted puny but still comfortable bun! It gives nice waves that I brush straight and my hair turns out nice and full!!! :cool:

Used to oil my lenght, but now I just put baby oil the night before washing, braid it in whatever and works much better this way!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 6th, 2015, 10:18 PM
I remove my hair fork, hold my bun secure with one hand, then put my sleeping cap on. Done.

EdG
September 6th, 2015, 10:22 PM
I pull the sticks out, let the Silver Swirl unwind, and sometimes comb it out.
Ed

Sallyanna
September 6th, 2015, 10:32 PM
Most nights just brush it and leave it loose. I do have silk pillow cases....but that is for preference. (I sleep facedown and silk feels better)
Once a week I saturate hair with olive oil, bun it and then wrap hair in a towel cap thing.

Jo Ann
September 6th, 2015, 10:55 PM
About one or two nights after I wash my hair, I put argan oil on it from about the ears down (about a couple of inches from my scalp) then put it in two braids; otherwise I sleep with two braids, unless it's wash night--then I sleep with it loose. My hair remains pretty tangle free...don't hate me! :p

Twinkletoes21
September 6th, 2015, 11:22 PM
I'm a curly, so I loosely gather it towards the top of my head and clip with a small plastic claw. Seems to preserve my curls pretty well. I might take a look at that Shea Moisture Milk.

sarahthegemini
September 7th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Sames haha my hair is still pretty short still though. I dont think I would be able to sleep in braids.

I've only just started doing this, previously I would wear my hair up but I like this way so much better :D

Hypnotica
September 7th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I take it down, comb it, spray some water into it and flip it over my pillow.

syndel
September 7th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Brush, spray ends with water, work some oil into said ends, then bun it.

Fericera
September 7th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I comb out any tangles with my wide toothed wooden comb, give myself an inverted scalp massage, and then stash away any hair toys I used that day. My sleep hair style lately has been a high ponytail in a scrunchie, or a top knot bun with claw clips. I find that sleeping in a bun keeps my hair the nicest.

cat11
September 7th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I remove my hair fork, hold my bun secure with one hand, then put my sleeping cap on. Done.

This is exactly what I do lol. take it down and shove it in the "hair hat" - sleep bonnet.

I detangle it and moisturize it in the morning. It's just reality since I'm lazy and tired.

For awhile, I detangled and oiled it every night and braided it with no elastic before putting it in the cap.. I still do that if I feel up to it but otherwise I just take care of it in the morning.

AutobotsAttack
September 7th, 2015, 01:15 PM
I section my hair and moisturize each section. I do the LCO method for each section. Then I applyy serum all of over head, detangle with a wide tooth comb, put my hair up I'm a loose bun them cover with my satin bonnet. Been doing this for almost a year now :) I've been able to retain a lot of length :)

Neptune
September 7th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I'm usually exhausted, so don't do too much! I fingercomb it quickly and put it in a braid over my shoulder. :) I don't usually oil the ends at night -- it got too greasy. Sometimes after I moisturize my face with rose hips oil I put the extra on the end of my braid.

turtlelover
September 7th, 2015, 10:37 PM
If I wash it at night, I just leave it loose to air dry. If it is already dry but still clean, I normally pineapple it if my wave pattern is decent at the time. If not, I put it in two braids on the side of my head. (The lumpiness of a single braid bugs me a little bit sometimes.) If I plan to wash it the next morning, I'll put coconut or argan oil in it before bed.

Sparklecake
September 8th, 2015, 03:34 AM
I scalp massage, brush it with my wood brush and then put it in a high, loose bun secured with a jaw clip. Its sort of become part of my way of relaxing for sleep.

Radioduck
September 8th, 2015, 04:36 AM
I brush it, have a minimal amount of coconut oil in the ends, and braid it in dutch pigtail braids with parandas.

Mammasaurusrex
September 9th, 2015, 10:10 PM
I do nothing to my hair at night because it's so short. I feel like I don't have any options except to put it in an elastic at night to keep it together. I wish I could braid it but I can't quite yet. I don't oil the ends or anything but maybe I should start doing that...I guess I'm just afraid it will make my pillow greasy or something. If I did oil the ends before bed I don't know what type of oil to even use.

Peggy E.
September 10th, 2015, 06:47 AM
I drape it over my pillow and go to sleep. Nothing more than that. :p
I used to wear a sleep cap, but I can't be bothered these days. I've been sleeping with my hair loose, just draped over my pillow for the last few months.

So glad to see this. I used to braid it, bun it, do all kinds of other things with it and found it was falling out more than if I simply draped it over the pillow and let it breathe free!

I don't do a lot of moving around, so I don't have any problems with it getting tangled up, or anything.

ArienEllariel
September 10th, 2015, 07:14 AM
I've been trying to remember to brush and braid it. Sometimes if I've already had it in 2 braids, I'll just leave them in.

holothuroidea
September 10th, 2015, 12:34 PM
I use a teeny bit of oil on the ends, detangle (brush with bamboo bristles). It needs to be put away for sleeping or else I will wake up with a tangled mess. I choose the cinnamon bun (secured with spin pin) usually because my braiding skills aren't very good and a center braid could take me 5+ minutes to get right.

I am so jealous of all you guys who don't have to detangle before bed, and can leave it down!

I don't have a sleep cap but I want one.

Pat Wright
September 10th, 2015, 01:52 PM
I've been playing around with The Green House Effect. I lightly mist my hair with argan oil mixed with water. Put it in a shower cap covered with a knit cap. I'm growing out some serious damage, so my hair likes the steam treatment. If I'm too lazy to do that, I just tuck up under my sleep bonnet.

Janette17
September 11th, 2015, 03:05 AM
Brush to de tangle, sometimes loose braid... But mostly just down. Tonight tho, double head band curls :)

Mammasaurusrex
September 12th, 2015, 04:24 PM
I like reading about all the different routines everyone is comfortable with! I like the steam treatment suggestion above. I can't wait until my hair is long enough to braid. Ill do that and spray some oil on it each night and wrap it up in a night cap I think.

Hinza
June 25th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Pick up this thread - so needful to new members I think.
I take my hair down (I keep it always up) comb it and have used few months silk balaclava at nights (was only six euros in local store). My hair is now about 21" and when it grows more I start to put it also up braids or something with. I love my balaclava really much and it holds my hair very silky and shiny and stops knotting and tangling.

Tosca
June 25th, 2016, 08:22 AM
At nearly classic, I take my bun out and flop it over my pillow. That's it.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it ☺

RebekahE
June 25th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I sleep on my side and I tend to change sides often. I think most of the time I am thinking enough to grab my braid and flop it out behind me (or maybe it's just habit) because when I wake up I am never laying on it.
I usually start by loosening the hair tie on my braid to 3 loops around instead 4. If it is the night before my wash I will oil it with olive oil, comb it out (sometimes if I'm tired or to lazy, I gently split it into 3 strand and braid without combing), loosely braid it and go to bed. The next morning I usually add a bit more oil and then wash it in the evening.

Moonfall
June 25th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I feel like I've tried everything by now. I currently wear a bun and a sleep bonnet over it, but I can't get it to stay that way overnight! The bonnet just slips off my head. I often try to wrap the bonnet around the bun, but that's not quite ideal either. Any advice? :confused:

Simsy
June 25th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I bun mine most nights, with the occasional loose braid when I'm feeling lazy. I sleep on my side or front so the hair only needs to be comfortable from these angles.

I do occasionally undo the hair style overnight. Still not sure how.

Betazed
June 25th, 2016, 04:08 PM
If I've showered earlier in the day, I usually just leave it in whatever style it's in, which is usually a braid of some kind (love love braids!). Although, I do take out any sticks or pins so they don't jab me in the head. If I've showered right before bed, or haven't put it up since my shower (which happens if I haven't left the house after my daily shower), then I just put it in a loose bun on the top, top of my head, using a silk scrunchie that my gramma made me (can't seem to find any around here, even though they were mega-popular when I was a kid). I don't really have problems with tangles but I'd get way too warm in the night if I slept with it loose. Oh, and I sleep on a satin pillow case. Again, mostly because it's cooler.

pili
June 25th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Since I cut out the damage, I just pineapple. When it gets to BSL stretched I'll start burning very loosely by pulling the hair only half through a band. I sleep on a satin pillowcase. Once in a while I put macadamia oil in it overnight. My hair sucks up so much of it that my pillow doesn't get affected.

Complexity
June 25th, 2016, 04:48 PM
I try to remember to braid it every night, but sometimes I just get lazy and don't bother; those next mornings I remember why I try to remember to braid it every night (detangling takes SO much longer!). It's a vicious cycle :p

lithostoic
June 25th, 2016, 06:12 PM
I stick it in a fat scrunchie at the top of my head and drape the ponytail over the back of the pillow. That's most days. If I'm feeling waves then I'll do some sort of braid/s instead.

Shanda We're nearly hair twins!

Wendyp
June 25th, 2016, 06:37 PM
This is really helpful being a new member particularly paying attention to those with my type of hair. I usually put it in a bun but I noticed a lot of people prefer braids, is it preference or does a braid do less damage?

Tosca
June 25th, 2016, 06:43 PM
I find with my hair that braids seem to cause more tangles because of all the little short bits that come out of my braid, and that my head/neck hair is more tangled too. Bunning is uncomfortable, so I just sleep with it loose and flipped over my pillow. I get a few tangles, but nothing a little brushing with a scalp scrubber can't fix

ETA: I forgot to say that I have fine hair, but a lot of it, and it's 2ish. I'm nearly at classic.

Complexity
June 25th, 2016, 06:59 PM
I stick it in a fat scrunchie at the top of my head and drape the ponytail over the back of the pillow. That's most days. If I'm feeling waves then I'll do some sort of braid/s instead.

Shanda We're nearly hair twins!

We're likely exactly hair twins haha - My hair probably has more fineness to it than I'd like to admit :p One day I'll get DBF to take a picture for me when it's freshly washed (I'm probably the only person left on the planet without a cell phone haha) for actual hair typing.

meteor
June 25th, 2016, 07:09 PM
I usually just wear the same daily braided bun to bed, but I remove the stick/fork and cover the bun with a silky scarf. My bun gets undone overnight, but the braid stays in place. I find this method keeps overnight tangling at bay for me.

lulikrueger
June 25th, 2016, 09:58 PM
Brush w Tangle Teezer > serum to the ends > bun or flexi rods > satin pillowcase
In the last couple of days before washing I'll oil my scalp

Manuela L88
June 25th, 2016, 11:22 PM
I don't do anything at all. I go te sleep with the hairstyle i have wearing all day. Mostly a messy bun.

Decoy24601
June 25th, 2016, 11:27 PM
I sleep on my back, so any bun besides on the very top of my head doesn't work and my hair is too heavy for that option to be comfortable. I usually just toss my hair in a braid and flip it so it's partially hanging off my bed. It usually stays there while I sleep. I'd like to get a silk or satin scarf to keep my hair contained at night though (I hate bonnets).

Simsy
June 26th, 2016, 04:52 AM
This is really helpful being a new member particularly paying attention to those with my type of hair. I usually put it in a bun but I noticed a lot of people prefer braids, is it preference or does a braid do less damage?

Mostly comes down to preference. You will get a bit of mechanical damage either way, but it ultimately comes down to what you are most comfortable sleeping with. I sleep in both fairly well but I prefer to restrain most of my hair up near my head since I tend to roll onto loose hair/braids. The perils of being a restless sleeper :rolleyes:

Silverbleed
June 26th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Currently I braid it. I haven't found a good solution yet. Sometimes I oil my hair, but I'm still not sure what is best for my hair, when to oil it etc.

I do know what a bun on top of my head is no option. The next morning my scalp hurts like heck when I put down the bun.

Garnetgem
June 26th, 2016, 10:01 AM
I use a hair net but unsure if its the best method really...i can only lie a certain way(as i have a twisted spine)so hair gets tangled more on one side than the other..i may try a silk pillowcase unsure yet...

DweamGoiL
June 26th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I used to have a more elaborate routine, but nowadays just detangle with a wide tooth comb and then put it in a low side ways pony held with a satin scrunci that I can move around as needed.

gingerknits
June 26th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I can't stand my hair being loose or on my neck while I sleep, so it usually twist it up into a cinnabun and kind of tuck the ends into it and then sleep on my satin pillowcase.

saaraelisabeth
June 26th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I braid my hair or put it in a loose topknot. I use a satin pillow case. If I'm doing a coconut oil treatment (I do it once a week) I usually sleep with a shower cap, it's pretty uncomfortable though...

MlleMC
June 27th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Most of the time I just sleep with my hair down and spread over the pillow to the side of the bed. But I move very little in my sleep, so it doesn't tangle or anything. I only braid it if it's too hot (or if I'm too lazy to undo the braid I wore that day).

I've just recently received a pair of satin pillowcases, so I'll try and see if I like them and if it makes a difference for me. I do remember hating the satin pillowcase my mom had made when I was a teen though.

Cg
June 27th, 2016, 11:13 AM
I braid upside down to avoid sleeping on any lumps, also to maintain the paltry volume I occasionally get. Braid because slippery hair stays better that way. So braid, roll to scalp, clip. Then wear a satin sleep cap.

brickworld13
June 27th, 2016, 11:25 AM
What is routine? If it's braided I leave it in. If it's in a bun, I take the stick out and throw it over the pillow. Sometimes I wear a satin sleeping cap.

samanthaa
June 27th, 2016, 11:37 AM
I braid upside down to avoid sleeping on any lumps, also to maintain the paltry volume I occasionally get.

I braid upside down for bed for both of those reasons as well. Typically I'll then nautilus'd the braid, then pop my octopus clip on over or partially over, but I just got some spin pins so I'm thinking I could feasibly sleep in a high cinnabun as well. Sometimes it's just braided, but it's always contained.

I do oil a couple times a week right before bed, on damp hair, then braid.

I ordered a silk pillowcase. Should be arriving soon.

timeschild
June 27th, 2016, 12:19 PM
I just go to sleep tried the 100 stokes but don't have good brush or comb

Complexity
June 27th, 2016, 01:54 PM
How does braiding upside down work? Maybe I'm just over-tired, but my brain seemingly can't put this together right now haha.

Agnes Hannah
June 27th, 2016, 02:35 PM
I take out my bun, comb through to detangle, side plait untied, and then silk sleepcap. Sometimes I may oil the ends, but I like to keep things simple.

longmane
October 20th, 2017, 11:26 PM
I braid my hair, put on satin scarf and I'm good to go :sleep:

leayellena
October 21st, 2017, 12:25 AM
braid or beebutt it (it depends of how tired I am) and sleep on a satin pilowcase. I think I will buy a new satin pillowcase when I buy a new bed though, but that will take some time I think; if my old satin pilowcase doesn´t fit...

lottiealice
October 21st, 2017, 01:05 AM
I usually brush my hair with a tangle teezer, put some coconut oil on the ends (I don't oil my scalp until a day or two before I wash - I only wash my hair once a week), then either put it in two braids or a loose 'bun' and tuck everything under a sleep cap. I don't actually like the texture of pillowcases on my hair (silk or otherwise, not even soft fluffy ones) so the sleep cap serves two purposes really.

oxymora
October 21st, 2017, 02:40 AM
I tend to put my wurly hair up in a loose bun on top of my head but it often ends up half off to the side by morning! It has layers so I am looking forward to being able to braid properly. Think I need to find a silk scarf to cover it :)

Isobibbel
October 21st, 2017, 03:05 AM
I comb, massage jojoba oil into the ends, then put it up in a satin/silky scarf british land army style. been keeping it from tangling as i thrash in my sleep for over a year now

marvel-lover
October 21st, 2017, 05:21 AM
I take my bun out, spray with conditioner and add some oil (only after my fourth day without washing) and then clip it into a top knot with a claw clip

embee
October 21st, 2017, 06:31 AM
Take out bun.
Brush well to distribute sebum down the length.
Make a simple single braid for about 6-8 inches and tie it off.
In winter, sleep with braid down my back for warmth.
In summer, place the braid up over the pillow, to keep it off my neck.

GrowlingCupcake
October 21st, 2017, 03:09 PM
I brush my hair well, use a 'weightless' oil on the ends if need be, and then do a single braid or one on either side.

lapushka
October 21st, 2017, 03:17 PM
I just take it out of its bun; finger detangle (by separating the strands and getting the sheds out); then let it go, and go to sleep.

lithostoic
October 21st, 2017, 03:31 PM
Take down my Dutch braid, brush it out, and rebraid it!

Afanen
October 21st, 2017, 03:37 PM
Do a loose french braid held in place with a satin scrunchie, apply some shea butter and coconut oil whip on the loose ends and lightly on the length of the braid. Satin pillowcase too. I tried a satin cap but they're uncomfortable and I end up taking it off in my sleep lol

Jas
October 21st, 2017, 03:59 PM
I take it out of its bun (I usually have an extra comfy bun for when I'm home, nautilus on top of my head held with my fork). I just english braid it and put a hairband on the end, but the braid over the bed and go to sleep :D
I do have a satin pillowcase. I don't use anything on my hair - mainly because my hair does not seem to like any products when dry and I don't want to dampen my hair before bed!

lapushka
October 21st, 2017, 04:03 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention it. I sleep with my hair loose, but I do have several sets of microfiber bedding (these pillowcases are wonderful *and* easy to get washed in the machine - 60°C cycle to get them nice and clean). And microfiber is very slippy for the hair!

Jo Ann
October 21st, 2017, 04:50 PM
Most nights, I drop the bun, shake the bun out, toss my hair over the pillow and :rip:

Every other night, I comb then brush it out--over the top of the pillow it goes!

If I oil it at night, a loose rope braid then :rip:

If it's wash night, and still damp, over the pillow it goes.

school of fish
October 21st, 2017, 07:47 PM
Since I wear it loose during the day I have no updos to release - I just comb it out and then wrap it up in a nautilus secured with a short hairstick on top of my head, then to bed. In the morning the stick comes out and I comb it out again :)

Zakuro
October 21st, 2017, 10:26 PM
I first rub a few drops of extra virgin olive oil on the lengths of my hair and then comb my hair out. I normally sleep with my hair loose but sometimes I may put it in a bun or braid

Dendra
October 22nd, 2017, 06:03 AM
I take out my claw clip and detangle after rubbing some coconut oil on my hands and fingers. I then do a single plait. I might start doing a bun on top of my head, that could be more hair friendly.

Joyful Mystery
October 22nd, 2017, 05:27 PM
I take my hair down and detangle it. Then I English braid it or sleep with it loose inside my sleep cap.

Shorty89
October 22nd, 2017, 06:55 PM
I comb it out, and then use my BBB on it (most nights). Then I braid it. I can't sleep with it loose, I toss and turn way too much!

MlleMC
October 23rd, 2017, 07:51 AM
If it's already braided, I usually keep the braid to sleep, but as I don't like braid waves, I prefer to sleep with my hair loose. In that case, I just drape it over my pillow and let it hang from the side of the bed. I don't move much during the night, so it never gets tangled. And I have a satin pillowcase, too.

Now though, I have no idea how I'll deal with it when I get to share a bed...

Lizzie.torp
October 23rd, 2017, 08:46 AM
I have a satin pillowcase and I try to English braid my hair if I'm not too tired. My hair is practically matted in the morning either way... I like to wear my hair down, though, so I'd like to start rope braiding (for better waves) but for some reason it pulls at my scalp.

Joyful Mystery
October 23rd, 2017, 09:41 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention it. I sleep with my hair loose, but I do have several sets of microfiber bedding (these pillowcases are wonderful *and* easy to get washed in the machine - 60°C cycle to get them nice and clean). And microfiber is very slippy for the hair!

You've got me interested in trying a microfiber pillowcase!

TheCurlyMermaid
November 27th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Hi everyone! New here. I haven't always, but these days I put my BSL(curly)/waist length(stretched) hair into heidi braids on top of my head, tie my hair up in a satin scarf, and then sleep on a silk pillow! If needed, before braiding I put a little bit of leave in from my ears down, and some avocado oil to the last 5 inches of my hair paying attention to my ends.

RedStripe
November 27th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Gently detangle with horn comb, then put it in an English braid. I don't put anything on it. When I'm feeling very ambitious, I'll do a 100-strokes brushing before braiding, but typically I get all enthusiastic about that for a week or so, and then blow it off and stop doing it.

victorian girl
November 27th, 2017, 02:51 PM
1. Detangle
2. Do a scalp massage
3. Brush (gently! and possibly with a leave-in spray conditioner)
4. Make two braids (I'm securing them with elastics now, but I'm planning to switch to ribbons when my hair gets longer)
4. Apply something nice on those ends...
...and voila! We're done:o And a satin pillowcase is a very nice thing, too!