PDA

View Full Version : High buns: how to keep them neat?

Entangled
August 20th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Specifically the back, underneath the bun. I've realized that I prefer high or low buns on myself, and don't really like middle-of the head buns. Low buns are nice and easy, but they do tend to sink and rub the back of my neck. I'd also appreciate some variety, which high buns add. I want to start using more high buns, but what I've encountered is this. The back sags, creating a round back of the head shape, with a lot of hair loose, rather than smooth and close to my head. Granted, I don't usually pony before making a cinnabun, but I think it should be possible. I brush my hair into a high pony and start twisting, then secure with spin pins. How can I keep the back of my hair neat and tight?

Arctic
August 20th, 2015, 07:02 PM
1) start the bun with ponytail base
2) put some big bobby pins at the lower side of the bun ( I mean the side of the bun that is at the back of the head). Spin pins there might work too
3) french braid the back of the head upside down before bunning
4) I'm still experimenting with this, so I can't promise if this works for you, but start your bun as if you'd make a french twist, only that you make a high bun at the crown. This way the back of the head hair is twisted and should stay better.

missrandie
August 20th, 2015, 07:18 PM
^this. The upside down French braid is about the best way to go to keep the back tight.. And it looks awesome!

yogagirl
August 20th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Yes! Do the upside down French or Dutch braid. Looks so awesome!!

If that's not quite the look you're going for, I would suggest doing a different bun. For me disc buns hold much better and stay tighter than cinnabuns. YMMV of course...

Another trick is to make the bun with your head upside down and use a comb/brush to make sure your hair is in the bun as tightly as possible.

Entangled
August 20th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Another trick is to make the bun with your head upside down and use a comb/brush to make sure your hair is in the bun as tightly as possible.

That's what I've been doing, or at least trying. I guess I should try a ponytail base. I don't like those too much though. I think I'll just need to get used to them.

yahirwaO.o
August 20th, 2015, 09:08 PM
Yes starting with a pony base helps much better to keep the back looking neat. The struggle is real if you have slippery hair like me! :demon:

.... and yes if you are great at french or dutch braiding, it look awesome. Im still pretty terrible at doing it upside down and end up with worst bumps. Low buns are so effortless and damn easy but I feel bored wearing it all the time!

Arctic
August 22nd, 2015, 09:53 AM
1) start the bun with ponytail base
2) put some big bobby pins at the lower side of the bun ( I mean the side of the bun that is at the back of the head). Spin pins there might work too
3) french braid the back of the head upside down before bunning
4) I'm still experimenting with this, so I can't promise if this works for you, but start your bun as if you'd make a french twist, only that you make a high bun at the crown. This way the back of the head hair is twisted and should stay better.

The number 4 seems to be working at least somewhat, now that I've been testing it a bit.

I also got new idea to add, which I also have tested a bit (though not yet extensively): sectioned bun. First seperate a circular section of hair from your crown, where you'd want your high bun to be. Make a small cinnabun from that and pin in place. The gather the rest of your hair and wrap loosely (or tightly :)) around the small bun, and maybe use spin pins, or bobby pins to secure it so, that the outer bun is being anchored to the inner bun. This seemed to work rather nicely. The down side is, this type might work best with messy buns rather than many LHC style buns. I think it might be difficult to make a LHC style bun when there is a small cinnabun inside the hair you're working with (which would be a circular perimeter of hair around the small cinnabun).

Or, if you have a nice, french barette, secure it right under the bun at the back. This would work the same way as number 2, and would add some interest to the style.

What I personally do most often is that #2. Just few strategically placed big bobby pins at the back base of the bun correct existing sagging and also prevent sagging.

meteor
August 22nd, 2015, 10:30 AM
If you can't do upside-down French (it does take some skills and coordination), you can do a bun from top hair, then braid the bottom area and bring it upwards (one or 2 braids - criss-crossed). It helps prevent the sagging, because technically only top section of the hair is bunned, the rest is just pulled upward, so there is less weight pulling down.

Check out this style by Silvousplaits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKXFsQP390 (2nd style, Jenny's style from Highlander, shown from around 3:00 till 4:35)
This is what it looks like (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ed/2e/6b/ed2e6bc840913d6f719e258f1eb2d183.jpg).

Arctic
August 22nd, 2015, 12:01 PM
If you can't do upside-down French (it does take some skills and coordination), you can do a bun from top hair, then braid the bottom area and bring it upwards (one or 2 braids - criss-crossed). It helps prevent the sagging, because technically only top section of the hair is bunned, the rest is just pulled upward, so there is less weight pulling down.

Check out this style by Silvousplaits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAKXFsQP390 (2nd style, Jenny's style from Highlander, shown from around 3:00 till 4:35)
This is what it looks like (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ed/2e/6b/ed2e6bc840913d6f719e258f1eb2d183.jpg).

You always find the best tutorials, I loved that style!

Entangled
August 22nd, 2015, 12:13 PM
That is a fantastic style! Sectioned buns are always comfortable and tend to be more stable.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 03:07 PM
Hold your head way back, almost in your neck while making the high bun. It should create tension when you lift your head back up right when the bun is finished. If... that... makes sense?