PDA

View Full Version : Terminal?

KittyCatCarrie
August 19th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I've been growing my hair for about 9 years now and my hair is at 44 in. I'm wondering if this is my terminal length. When you reach terminal length does your hair just grow no further?

gthlvrmx
August 20th, 2015, 12:07 AM
For terminal length, give it 10 or more years to know if you truly reached terminal. Sometimes hair gets a stall for years and then it starts growing again. After a certain time, the individual hair will shed out and a new hair will take its place and grow to terminal if you let it.

Panth
August 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM
How have you been treating it?

Even a little thing (like wearing it loose/braided vs. wearing it bunned every day) can result in a false terminal.

BroomHilda
August 20th, 2015, 05:58 AM
44 inches are very long! PRovided that you ve been growing out for 9 years, I could assume that this would propably be your terminal... or somewhere there...

Nique1202
August 20th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Yeah, lots of people find a false terminal especially around classic length because of accumulated damage at that point. Especially if your ends have been brushed roughly a lot over the years and gotten caught in bag straps, clothing, doors, or been sat on a lot, it could be breaking off where it is now and stalling your growth. The easiest way to tell is, does your hair taper down to fairytale ends or is it still fairly thick a few inches up from the ends? True terminal length will taper down a lot.

spidermom
August 20th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Not true, terminal can still have thick ends. I had a friend whose hair never grew longer than somewhere between APL and BSL. She mostly wore it braided and didn't do anything particularly damaging to it, rarely trimmed it, yet it never grew longer and didn't have thin ends over the 20 or so years we were in contact.

lapushka
August 20th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah, lots of people find a false terminal especially around classic length because of accumulated damage at that point. Especially if your ends have been brushed roughly a lot over the years and gotten caught in bag straps, clothing, doors, or been sat on a lot, it could be breaking off where it is now and stalling your growth. The easiest way to tell is, does your hair taper down to fairytale ends or is it still fairly thick a few inches up from the ends? True terminal length will taper down a lot.

I don't know if classic is necessarily the cut-off point for many. :)

Nique1202
August 20th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I don't know if classic is necessarily the cut-off point for many. :)

I only meant that it seems to be a common false terminal because of accumulated daily damage from styling, detangling, etc. and it's just past "getting caught in trouser waistbands constantly" length so there's more damage, then you start sitting on it and you've got a good few false terminals as it breaks off underneath you.

lapushka
August 20th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I only meant that it seems to be a common false terminal because of accumulated daily damage from styling, detangling, etc. and it's just past "getting caught in trouser waistbands constantly" length so there's more damage, then you start sitting on it and you've got a good few false terminals as it breaks off underneath you.

Oh in that way, yes, I get it. :)

Madora
August 20th, 2015, 03:54 PM
I've been growing my hair for about 9 years now and my hair is at 44 in. I'm wondering if this is my terminal length. When you reach terminal length does your hair just grow no further?

Depending on how you feel about an even longer length, I'd wait another 5 years to see if you've reached true terminal.

I've been growing my hair out since 2002 and am past knee...and still growing..albeit more slowly.

spidermom
August 20th, 2015, 05:07 PM
True Nique. Around classic length, I had 5-7 inches of fairly trashed ends even with the best care I could manage.

mira-chan
August 20th, 2015, 06:39 PM
My hair stopped growing for a year at around 40-42" or so. This was likely due to health not hair damage as my ends were fine so a waiting period is advised because of stalls. I think Trolleypup has the same length for quite a few years then spontaneously had his hair grow a couple more inches and stop again. So as others said, try waiting a bit and see.

yahirwaO.o
August 20th, 2015, 09:35 PM

This was somehow my case. My hair was braided most of the time, fairytaled like crazy left it for one year at very close classic lenght but it was not growing. Im not aiming for super lenghts right now, but my hair just stopped and I was very kind handle to it.

Brunette_Barbie
August 21st, 2015, 05:11 PM
I think I may have reached my terminal length in the mid to late '00's.