PDA

View Full Version : Split ends, no matter if I cut AND co-washing question

kallard
August 19th, 2015, 02:10 PM
This is my first post, so I apologize if I did not put this in the right place.

I have been trying to grow out my hair for a long time, but always end up with shoulder length or above hair. First, it is fine, so it lacks volume and fullness and often hangs limp. After having children, my hair did change to have wave in it, but can never get it to look right - just looks a mess. I also have been bleaching it so that I can use semi-permanent dye in fun colors. I only bleach my roots when I do this.

However, I always have rough ends. Even if I go get them cut, as I did yesterday, my hair is back to the rough not too long afterward.

Aside from trimming it, what else can I do?

I have read about co-washing, but tried that for a week and my roots were oily looking, though the rest of my hair seemed better. Did I do something wrong? or is there a suggestion for that?

LauraAlaina
August 19th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Boy do I wish you were my client at my salon, I would love working with you! I love working with people on goals to get their hair grown out, it's so satisfying!
Well, first I can say...(without seeing your hair it's hard to tell, but I can give you a LITTLE bit of advice) stay away from bleach! I might be the only hairstylist to say this, but honestly...bleach + growing your hair out do not mix. There will be people who disagree with me but it just leads to more trims. Bleaching strips your hair and if you're trying to grow it out, leave the hair shaft alone. If you simply can not leave the haircolor alone go with a semi-permanent, like a hair gloss or something that doesn't have ammonia. Even henna would be a great solution! (as long as you're aware it is PERMANENT) My clients that have had the most success with growing their hair out don't color their hair, don't use a lot of heat styling, and certainly don't do any drastic cuts! We meet every 3 months for a micro trim and then when they get their hair goal we do every 2 months just for trim, deep conditioning, and styling to see the progress! happy growing! (sorry so long..)

Nique1202
August 19th, 2015, 02:44 PM

I have been trying to grow out my hair for a long time, but always end up with shoulder length or above hair. First, it is fine, so it lacks volume and fullness and often hangs limp. After having children, my hair did change to have wave in it, but can never get it to look right - just looks a mess. I also have been bleaching it so that I can use semi-permanent dye in fun colors. I only bleach my roots when I do this.

However, I always have rough ends. Even if I go get them cut, as I did yesterday, my hair is back to the rough not too long afterward.

I have read about co-washing, but tried that for a week and my roots were oily looking, though the rest of my hair seemed better. Did I do something wrong? or is there a suggestion for that?

Even if you mainly bleach your roots, if you're lifting from a dark brown to a blonde light enough to use bright colours on it, then that's plenty of damage to cause splits and breakage and roughness and lack of volume except by frizz by the time it grows out to shoulder to armpit length. Even if you're only lifting from a light brown or a darker blonde, you have to bleach your roots and then the ends long enough to lift the old colour stainage to reapply your new bright colour, right? That's still a lot of damage for hair.

There ARE ways to supposedly reduce the amount of damage from bleaching (lots of people tout coconut oil pre-treatments and Olaplex) but these will only get you so far. If you want to grow your hair longer than shoulder length, it's likely you'll have to give up the colours looking quite so vibrant, whether that means using the semi-permanent dye over your natural colour or bleaching to a less intense blonde to reduce damage.

As for conditioner-only washing, that benefits some people, and some people will say "just stick with it, your roots will get over the oiliness" but for some people they just don't. However, it is very important that you condition near your ends, especially with bleach damage. Do you use silicones in your conditioner at all? They might help to reduce the effects of some of your damage and let you grow a little longer.

meteor
August 19th, 2015, 02:44 PM

From your post, it looks like your number 1 problem is length retention.
Can you stop bleaching? That would be my # 1 advice. :flower:

If you can't stop bleaching, do Olaplex treatments or something like that to buffer the damage.

Bleached hair is also in great need of proteins (e.g. Aphogee 2-Step, Joico K-Pak Reconstructor, Redken Extreme Strength Builder Plus or DIY gelatin treatment), lots of oils (especially penetrating kind, like coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil...), 18-mea, ceramides, silicones... I'd recommend stretching washes and deep-conditioning with products for porous/damaged/processed hair.

For methods, try pre-poo oiling to reduce bleached hair's porosity and also LOC (liquid + oil + cream) post-wash to seal in the moisture and add elasticity to hair.

Bleached hair is compromised hair, so it needs all the TLC and protection it can get:
- sleep on silky smooth materials;
- keep hair contained (buns/braids) as much as possible;
- cover hair with a hat from UV rays and wind;
- detangle super-gently with fingers and/or seamless wide-tooth comb, not a brush;
- don't over-wash, don't over-manipulate;
- don't add any new damage on top of damage -> so no heat-styling, no teasing/backcombing, no keratin straightenings, no other chemical processing...

Kallard, about co-washing: many people have to clarify to remove CO build-up periodically, e.g. every week or every month or just keep it at ad-hoc basis. Alternatively, look for a lighter conditioner.
Also, Co-washing doesn't work for everyone, especially if you notice increased shedding or if your hair accumulates build-up extremely fast.

I bet if you start treating your ends very gently and cut out ALL additional damage, you'll notice more length retention over time! ;)
Best of luck! And happy growing! :cheer:

Deborah
August 19th, 2015, 03:27 PM
It's the bleach that is damaging your hair and causing bad ends. Maybe the other colors too. If you want long, healthy hair, let your natural color grow in. You may be surprised to find that your hair will grow long and healthy then with very little trouble.

spidermom
August 19th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I've watched stylists who were "only doing roots," but it seems to me that there's always some overlap onto previous bleaching or dyeing. I think this is what causes the roughness and breakage. Also, some people's hair seems to tolerate bleach and dye but other hair does not, like mine. I'm as kind to my hair as I can be without making myself crazy, and the ends love to split. Frequent small trims are a necessity for me.

kallard
August 19th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I have a big sad face right now! lol. The bright colors are part of my personality and I have been doing them for 10 years or so. It used to be that I would just do the top and rest would be black. THEN I started bleaching all over and my whole head was a bright color. Over the last few months, I did not put on any of the bright colors, and this is what it looked like:
http://wanderlings.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015-07-23-13.03.25.jpg

That was achieved by using 20v, Pravana brand powder, on my roots. Doesn't take my hair much to bleach actually. Then put a toner over. Yes, I only did roots, but there probably was some overlap.

BUT, I wasn't sure I was liking it so light because I felt it made me look older (the picture is a flattering one). SOOOO, I did this (second one is blurry):
http://wanderlings.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015-08-09-18.40.54.jpg
http://wanderlings.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015-08-10-13.36.40.jpg

I know that I was supposed to add some warmth in my hair first before adding in the black, but I wasn't sure if I would stick with it or not. It is not permanent black, it is demi permanent and is already fading to a gross greeny color from what is in the photo.

So, now I am not sure what to do with the color. I will not bleach it any more, but don't want this bleh green that all of the black will turn into given some time.

I just can't see myself with a "normal" hair color. My plan though was to

I also have some grey, so the semi-permanent doesn't work on the greys very well.

I do use coconut oil and always put oil in my hair prior to applying bleach as well. My hair never seems damaged or rough at the top, just the ends.

As for conditioner, (prior to trying the co-washing), I use the cheap Aussie 3 minute miracle for the daily routine. I wash with, typically, Organix.

But, if anyone has some product recommendations....I have heard different things about whether I should or shouldn't use products with silicons or proteins. etc.

Thanks!

kallard
August 19th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Whoa!! Didn't realize those would be so big! Sorry!

meteor
August 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Wow, such beautiful colors! :applause

But, if anyone has some product recommendations....I have heard different things about whether I should or shouldn't use products with silicons or proteins. etc.

Thanks!

Chemically treated hair tends to do well with proteins (temporary patch-repair) and silicones (added slip, occlusion and elasticity). ;)

For strong protein treatments, Aphogee 2-step, Joico K-Pak reconstructor or DIY gelatin treatment (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html) work pretty well. And for silicones, there are tons of equally good silicone serums on the market...

Seeshami
August 19th, 2015, 07:34 PM
Paging Dr. Technicolor Dream Buns. We need Pastina to report to this thread immediately.

missrandie
August 19th, 2015, 08:18 PM
^agreed! Miss Pastina, come hither!