PDA

View Full Version : hair traits in families

DollyDagger
August 19th, 2015, 12:48 PM
genetics is such a crap shoot-

im a curly in a family of straight haired people. My mom used to create a head of frizz for me on picture day trying to smooth out my hair with excessive combing and brushing my waves/curls..thanks mom :P

my dad was 1b F (i)
my mom is 1b coarse and (ii)
my sister is 1b F (i)

my sons got totally different hair than me and his dad! He went through a long haired phase a few years ago and effortlessly grew out the thickest most luscious mane imagineable...

ive seen where widows peaks and even streaks of white hair (birthmark?) runs in families.
Early greying is also another strong trait that can run in families and of course the Ginger gene.

What similarities or diversities are evident in your familys?

TIA for sharing :)

*just noticed my posts # match my age..lol and i can edit yay! nevermind..:P it didnt last of course

lapis_lazuli
August 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
I've never really thought of this before...

Based on old photos, my mom is 2b/2c M (iii). Now her hair is so chemically damaged it sticks out straight to her shoulders...
My dad, I'm not sure... his hair is never long enough to make a proper judgement, but I would guess 1c M (ii)

My 15 y/o sister has 2a M (ii/iii)
My 12 y/o sister has 2a M (ii/iii) as well, but I don't know if that will change with puberty.

I used to have 2a/2b M (ii/iii) when I was young but nowadays it's more straight, 1c/2a. Although that could be due to the length weighing down the waves :)
Seems like we're all thick-haired wavies :p

turtlelover
August 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Well, I got my natural wave/curl from my mother, but my hair is quite a bit thicker than hers, and I am going gray faster than either her or my father (who did have thick hair when younger and still has a decent amount for a 71 year old man). I have my mothers straight across hairline w/ no widows peak.

Swan Maiden
August 19th, 2015, 01:11 PM
My daughter has my fathers hair; F 3ab ringlets. My mother has 1a F, I have 1bc F. My brother got lucky and got the ringlets, but he keeps his hair short. We are all varying shades of blonde, but my daughter has a shade of reddish gold, probably from all the redheads on my mothers side, DH has dark brown coarse wavy hair.

brickworld13
August 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Mom has/had waves and dad has/had ringlets. I'm stick straight. I can't get it to even hold braid waves for more than a couple of hours.

missrandie
August 19th, 2015, 01:14 PM
The my mom got her dad's color, but not quite the fine spiderweb hair my grandma has, but still fine.

I got my dad's pre-chemo thickness, my mom's hair color and texture (1b ish), and the fine-but-not-grandma-fine hair.

Somehow, I completely missed by dad's family traits of blue eyes, red wavy hair and freckles. And height.

Groovy Granny
August 19th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I took more after my Dad as far as I can tell.
He died at 38, but I followed his traits until that point...and then was very similar to one of my uncles who looked just like him.
We both had fine blonde hair as babies, then it became a darker blonde/light brown with a medium texture.
I started to see my first silver strands @ age 50.

My mother had very thick/coarse dark brown hair which she ruined by perming, gluing in place day to day, and then finally would comb it out/wash after a week (ick!!).
It could have withstood hurricane force winds, and it killed her hair so that she ended up with a huge bald spot in the back of her head and needed to wear a clip in piece (very sad :( ).
Before she colored it,she was a very wirey/coarse straight salt and pepper;even as a kid I knew it was misery for her!

So I thank God for inheriting my Dad's genes...he gave me my soft wurls and pretty coloring :)

Hurven
August 19th, 2015, 01:35 PM
My dad is a 1A/F/ii blondette and my mother is 2b/2c/M/ii/iii dyed brown (which was her natural hair colour before she turned white-haired). My sister is 1B/F/iii blondette which she is currently dying copper red. I inherited my mother's texture and thickness and my dad's colour.

gyhaslan
August 19th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Both of my parents had black-brown/black hair, my natural color is a medium ash brown, my sister is a medium golden brown.
Mom was 2c/3a hair, dad had straight hair. My hair is 3a/3b, my sister is 1c/2a.
Mom and her side have a history of going white young, my mom's hair started growing in white in high school. I (thankfully) did not inherit this trait, though I am noticing a few strands with new white growth. My sister has had an increasing number of greys for several years and she is 4 years younger than me.
Basically, we're all over the place!

hannabiss
August 19th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Well I'm not gonna get into the iiiis and the abcs..but here a basic over view

Paternal side.
grandpa had straight blonde hair.
Grandpa had thick curly auburn
my Dad had black curly yet thin hair (though he was bald on top all my life)

Maternal side.
grandpa black tight curly hair
grandma thin straight copper penny
Momma had thick dark brown hair

My brother Aaron who shares mom &dad with me had tight curly dark brown/black hair
my brother Josh has straight Sandy brown thick hair.
I have fine straight light brown hair

alexis917
August 19th, 2015, 03:04 PM
From what I've seen in pictures, dad looks like a 1a with some serious thickness. My mom has extremely thin and fine hair, but this may be due to all her damage/breakage.

Deborah
August 19th, 2015, 04:54 PM
My dad's hair was quite curly and coarse in texture. Mum's is silky, fine and mostly straight. My sisters and I got Mum's hair. One brother got Dad's; the other must have inherited his from some other relative.

Kiiruna
August 19th, 2015, 05:23 PM
My dad has 1b/c F/M iii hair, my mom has 2a M iii. My natural texture is 1c F/M iii, so I kinda have my dad's hair - colour and all :) Mom has black hair, dad has blonette.

Techmouse
August 19th, 2015, 07:48 PM
My dad has straight, fine, dark brown hair. My mom has straight, coarse, dark brown hair. I have curly, fine, tawny hair that seemingly can't decide on a color(contains red, brown, and blond). Brother 1 has curly, fine dark brown hair with natural reddish highlights. Brother 2 has straight, fine, ash brown hair. Brother 3 has straight, medium, blond hair. Brother 4 has straight, coarse, ash brown hair.

lilin
August 19th, 2015, 07:58 PM
genetics is such a crap shoot-

im a curly in a family of straight haired people. My mom used to create a head of frizz for me on picture day trying to smooth out my hair with excessive combing and brushing my waves/curls..thanks mom :P

my dad was 1b F (i)
my mom is 1b coarse and (ii)
my sister is 1b F (i)

my sons got totally different hair than me and his dad! He went through a long haired phase a few years ago and effortlessly grew out the thickest most luscious mane imagineable...

ive seen where widows peaks and even streaks of white hair (birthmark?) runs in families.
Early greying is also another strong trait that can run in families and of course the Ginger gene.

TIA for sharing :)

*just noticed my posts # match my age..lol and i can edit yay! nevermind..:P it didnt last of course

Weirdly enough, even though I share a hair type with my family, I was never taught decent curly care either. My mother was forever brushing and straightening my hair as a kid. I didn't realize how curly my hair really gets until I came to LHC and started changing things.

For the longest time I thought I was sort of 2a-ish. Turns out I'm 2c with bits of 3a.

Because care causes such a massive difference in the amount of curl in wurly hairtypes, I am not even sure I know the real hairtype of many of the people in my family due to the care they use. But at my best guess...

Mother: 2b/M/ii
Father: 3a when he was younger, 2c as he got older, F/ii
Me: 2c/F/ii

My mother is medium brunette, and my father was very dark brunette. My hair color is more like my mother's, maybe a bit darker.

My father had no gray at all until about 40. My mother got a few starting in her 20's, but didn't start seriously graying until her mid-late 40's. I'm 26 and found my first gray a year or two ago, so I seem to be leaning in my mother's direction in that regard.

missc1115
August 19th, 2015, 08:19 PM
My mother is blond and fine haired and my father had black hair, slightly coarse but usually so close-cropped it would be hard to tell. I wound up with dark brown hair that never looked like either of theirs. I now have more gray than either one of them. :confused: I do have Dad's eyebrows.

yahirwaO.o
August 19th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Except for me and one aunt (we are solid 1A but she kinda has coarse hair), the rest of my family run from 2A upto 3B with very thick heavy and dry hair. My mom has gorgeous 3B fine ringlets and my dad had awesome thick wurly hair. Im the black straight sheep in my family (on the finer side and sleek) :rolleyes:

AZDesertRose
August 19th, 2015, 08:53 PM
My biological father's hair was medium brown, pin-straight, and quite fine and thin, especially as he aged. I remember combing and braiding it for him (in pigtail braids a la Willie Nelson) when he'd been lazy about haircuts when I was a kid, and it was maybe on the thin side of ii.

My mom's hair is dark reddish brown (going gray now but she colors it to a medium reddish brown), wavy (probably about 2a-2b), fine-to-medium, and extremely thick (a good solid iii in her younger years, and probably on the thick end of ii or the lower end of iii now).

Mine is more like my mom's than my dad's; my natural color is dark reddish brown (currently henna auburn), 1c-2a, fine-to-medium, and a solid iii in thickness.

My daughter (my only child) somehow got the pin-straight gene, which must have passed via my father through me because her bio-dad's hair was/is wavy. Her color is what I've seen called blonette around here (not really dark blonde but not really light brown either), and hers is easily as thick as mine, if not thicker.

My oldest brother got his mom's hair (my brothers are my father's sons by his first wife--my mom was his second wife), which is to say auburn (turning more brown now that he's graying fairly significantly in his mid-50s), curly, I think fairly coarse, although I never handled his hair, so I'm not sure, and majorly thick.

I haven't seen my middle brother in quite some years, but the last time I saw him, his was more like our father's, thinner although not as thin as Dad's, and medium brown.

My youngest brother apparently got Dad's hair genes in spades, because his hairline has receded to the point that he shaves his head entirely rather than have a hairline back to his crown at only 50. (I call this the pre-emptive strike against male pattern baldness, LOL.) Either he got Dad's hair or there's a serious history of male pattern baldness on their mom's side; I really don't know that many of their maternal relatives to be able to say.

As to grandparents, I've honestly no idea about my paternal grandparents' hair, because my paternal grandfather died years before I was born, and my paternal grandmother permed her hair, so I'm really not sure what the natural texture was.

My mother's mother had hair very like my mother's and mine. Mom's father had super thick, coarse, wavy, almost black hair that went pure white by the time he was about 60. My mom's younger brother looks very like their dad, except with their mom's nose, and his hair is now completely glossy white, but still fairly thick. (He's 61 years old, and a lot of his friends around his own age are jealous that he's still got so much hair on his head.)

Ephemia
August 20th, 2015, 10:49 AM
My mum has very short hair, so I can't really tell what her type is. I'd hazard a guess at 1c/M/ii. And I've no idea what my dad's is.

I probably got my mum's hair type, although I think I may need to retype it when my fringy layers get a little longer. It's wavier than I thought it was. I was completely wrong about the 1a, it looks like I'm probably a 1c or even potentially a 2a which has been stretched (and combed?) to about 1b by its own weight.

I'm also pretty sure I got the red hair gene from my mum's side. My maternal granddad had red hair and both my mum and I have a few red hairs on our heads. I think I remember being told that I actually had red hair when I was a baby.

Magalo
August 20th, 2015, 01:35 PM
I got 1a, med thickness light brown hair.
My 18yo sister has med thickness 1c very dark brown hair.
My 16yo brother has thick 2b/2c light brown hair.
My 14yo sister has fine 3a curls with med brown hair.

My mom has thick 1b very dark brown hair.
My dad has straight (?) black hair.

Nobody matches! :lol:

Loveisaverb
August 20th, 2015, 01:56 PM
All my mothers side and my siblings have thick and wavy hair from anywhere from 2a to 2c. Except for my cousins who also share my straight hair, it seems our we missed out on having wavy hair :p

nalgena
August 20th, 2015, 02:47 PM
My mom has extra fine and thin hair. I'm not sure what her natural color is, because she's been dying her hair blond ever since I can remember. In fact, I used to think it was her natural color and it wasn't till my late teens till I found out she's been dying her hair my whole life! But I think her natural color is dark blonde. She also uses lots of heat on her hair, so I'm not sure how much better her hair would get if she quit using hair dye and heat styling.

My dad's hair used to be wavy and dark brown. I'm not sure about the thickness, he's slowly balding and greying, but it looks ok. Nothing spectacular though.

My brother has light brown hair.

I'm a very fine haired blondette. I could use some more thickness, but at least it's not as bad as my mom.

Hairkay
August 20th, 2015, 03:34 PM
My mother has 4c thick hair, My father had hair was in the 2-3 range. I got 3c/4a thick hair, my lil sis got 4a with some 3c. Bro is the same as lil sis I think, it's hard to tell when he's spent most of his life with his hair less than 1cm long. Big sis is like our mother, 4c thick hair. Mother said she's not sure if I got my grandmother's hair which was similar to mine or a mix of both mother's and my father's hair to end up as it is. We've all got thick black hair though my lil sis seems to have more fine strands mixed in with medium ones.

dancingrain91
August 20th, 2015, 04:37 PM
My mom is 1bFii used to have pretty dark auburn hair, now totally grey at 48, though her grey hair is a very pretty silver with natural highlights and lowlights
My dad is 1cFiii dark brown a sprinkling of grey at 48
My brother is 2bMii dark brown and has a blonde birthmark on the back of his head, one of our cousins has strawberry blonde hair with a grey streak in the same place
And I have my grandmother's hair. A pretty dark golden blonde color that turns a pretty snowy white with gold streaks at 73. I hope mine is as pretty as hers as I age.

laceyfairy
August 20th, 2015, 04:41 PM
The men in my family don't go bald. Ashkenazi men often have male pattern baldness but not in my family. My grandfather is 80 and his hair is thicker than mine!

mira-chan
August 20th, 2015, 06:35 PM
From what pictures tell me, I have the same hair type as my paternal grandmother. She had wavy dark hair at about or just over 4" circumference if I compare her braid to mine. Likely coarse hair too.

Mom has medium thickness hair in brown, right in the middle mix of my maternal grandparents (blonde grandma and black haired grandpa). Grandpa also didn't go bald but his hair thinned evenly with age.
Dad has super coarse vry curly hair that was pitch black. Dad and his middle brother are bald now, their older brother has a thick head of hair. Paternal line are also Ashkenazi ancestry like lacefairy.

Mine is dark brown, coarse and wavy.

Robi-Bird
August 20th, 2015, 10:19 PM
My hair is a blend of my parents' textures. Dad has your classic "dark Scot" hair, black super thick, coarse and wirey, it grows out not down. Mom's hair is light ashbrown, fine, moderately thick and bone straight. My hair is dark ashbrown, wavy, thick, coarse and rather wirey. My sister has similar hair to me but darker and wavier with a straight patch. Her daughters have fine, thin, curly blond hair.

Quixii
August 20th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I've thought about this a lot. :laugh:

My dad's hair is maybe 3b.
My mom's is probably 1c.
My sister's is 1a/1b.
My brother's never had his long enough to really tell, but it looks like it would be 1c/2a.
And mine's about 3a.

RainbowBowser
August 20th, 2015, 11:29 PM
My dad used to have red curly hair, like, 3a/3b or something like that, balding is a genetic on that side so he has maintained a bald head + buzz cut for a long time.
The greying on that side is quite late in life, as he is in his fifties and still isn't completely grey. He went from ginger to brown hair with age.

My mom's side is pretty much my hair type, except its more like 1b/1c/F/ii/iii (a bit thicker in ponytail substance but finer hairs). Early greying on that side as it started being prevalent and has been dyeing her hair since her 30's. (Brown hair colour, forgot to mention)

Brown hair across the board for us siblings.
My sister has 2c/3a/F/ii/iii, she picked up the curly-ness on my dad's side of the family.
My brother has a similar type to me as well, though I'll never know ponytail thickness and I'm unsure of strand thickness.

Nadine <3
August 20th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I got almost an exact replica of my dads hair. Thin and fine and wavy. My brother got my moms impossibly thick, curly hair. Unfortunately, my bother keeps his hair completely buzzed.

Baby
August 21st, 2015, 06:25 AM
My mother have this gorgeous 2c/m/c/iii hair. Shiny almost glittery golden light brown with some white hairs comming in, but since she have so many different colors in her hair it does not show. Unfortunatly she have, despite of dreaming of having a long grey braid when she gets old, never grown her hair past her sholders. And though one wold think that her hair is coarse when looking at it it is actually very soft.

My sister have in the past fried her hair with dyes and heat tools but the last years she has grown out her own color, a dark blonde or blondette color. She has also shiny soft hair, i think in 2c as my mother but f/m like me and somewhere between i and ii in thickness.

My brother was only past 20 something when his hair started thinning, now at age 28 he has not much left. Though he has an impressive beard. He used to have a greyish blonde color and 1a/m/ii hairtype. His beard is coarse and auburn. We have red hair in the family on mothers side, her aunt used to be a redhead before she turned white.

My father have dark brown hair, also thinning with almost nothing left. He keeps it short but when it grows longer he gets tight curls in his nape. He has very fine hair. He has alo a long beard that is corse and white in color, it used to be brown when I was little. I remember he shaved all his beard off one time when I was little and I did not recognize who he was.

I think that our hairtypes can be considered "typical scandinavian" straight-ish, shiny, soft, fragile and oily.

I have 1b/f/m/ii hair. Also shiny and soft like moms and my sisters hair. I have a brassy medium brown natural haircolor, I have grown out henna and kept microtrimming but a while ago I though all the henna would have grown out by now but it kept being brassy in the ends but then my boyfriend remarked that all of my hair looked like that.

Me, my siblings and mother were born with plenty of black hair on our heads that then turned lighter. My hair have been the same color since I was small but the rest of the family were blonde when they were little. My sister was almost white haired when she was little.

elea
August 21st, 2015, 09:55 AM
mum: fine straight hair
dad: thick curly hair

so 2 kids came out
brother: thick curly
me: fine and dead straight until puberty where i became fine and not as curly as the guys but it is far from straight.

Absolutely no chance to have a long flock of white hair, it simply does not happen in my family. Damn but I will survive *;O)

ExpectoPatronum
August 21st, 2015, 11:38 AM
This is fun.

Mom:
Probably a 2b, though it's hard to tell since she always flat irons her hair. Her hair is fine, and I'd say she's about a ii in thickness. Her hair color is very very dark brown. Basically as dark brown as you can get without it being black.

Dad:
I do not know his texture as he's always had his hair cropped short. In pictures from when he had slightly longer hair, it looked like it had a bit of a wave to the ends. His hair is the same color as my mom's. Coarser in texture. Average thickness.

Brother:
Definitely 2b waves the one time he tried growing it out. Same color as my mom and dad. Coarse, iii in thickness.

Me:
2c/3a. Coarser hair. ii/iii in thickness depending. While I have the curliest hair, that's not so weird as my nonna's hair is quite wavy. However, I am the only one with golden brown hair. Everyone else's hair is almost black, except for mine.

Impulsive
August 21st, 2015, 08:08 PM
Most of my family has the same hair as I do: dark brown/black hair that is very curly. I have a couple cousins who are natural redheads, but it's still curly. I'm not sure about my grandparents or great grandparents. The ones I met were all on my mother's side of the family and already had white hair and kept it very short, even the women. From what I've seen, both sides of the family go white early (and passed that trait to me). I have no memories of the other side of the family except for my Dad, who is the only survivor on his side and has been for decades. Dad has had short, sparse, and very white hair for as long as I can remember. This thread is making me want to talk to my parents about their parents... hmmm... Not really sure how'd they'd react to that.

Silverbrumby
August 21st, 2015, 08:30 PM
My sons have interesting hair. Dark brown almost blacj and pin straight till puberty. Then it turned to coarse wiry tight curls. Nothing like my hair.

hennalonghair
August 21st, 2015, 08:50 PM
My moms a 1a - fairly thick hair
My dad - 2b - insanely thick hair
My older brother -1a - went grey starting at 17 but regular thickness
My deceased brother was 1b with insanely thick hair

AutobotsAttack
August 22nd, 2015, 08:32 AM
Well my family is African American. My mom has very kinky/coily tightly curled coal black hair that is very resistant and coarse. I remember when she was younger and she let it grow out to her armpits it was very shiny and pretty. My dads side of the family has very soft and fine and naturally thin hair with not so tight coils but rather defined curls. And their hair is a light sandy brown color. I took after my dads side of the family because my hair is very sandy brown like, naturally thin, and is NOWHERE nearly as curled as my mothers.

*ReiKa*
August 22nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
I (luckily) inherited my mum's hair, she's always had thick, long, voluminous brown hair.
I can't really classify my dad's hair since he's always kept it quite short, but it is normally thick, nothing too special.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 04:03 PM

My dad is 2b, F, iii
My mom is 1c, F, i/ii, (more i these last few years than anything else)

I'm 2b/c, F, iii

There aren't any curly heads in our family, really.

Nedertane
August 23rd, 2015, 09:21 AM
Okay, let's see...

My mom has somewhat thick hair, at least a ii I'd say (never measured, plus she has bangs so that throws it off some). I remember her hair being a medium/darkish brown when I was younger, but she dyes it a slightly lighter shade nowadays to cover the gray. Can't recall what age she started getting them, but she says it was fairly early. Oh, and her hair is mostly straight 1b/c I'd say, but it often looks wavier from the clips she always holds it up in.

Dad had kind of a blonette/light brown shade before the grays came in. It's also mostly straight, probably 1a or b. No idea how thick it was before he started losing some, but somehow, as the oldest of 4 brothers, he was the last to lose it. He almost always covers it with a hat anyway.

My sister got my mom's color, and I'd say texture as well. She thinks her hair is mousy though, so she dyes it any and every color. She also dislikes her natural texture, and thus always straightens or curls it. Who knows though if either has changed over the years, I haven't seen her natural color or texture in at least 5 years lol.

Finally, me. I take after my dad, generally, with very straight, light hair. However, even though he also had/has lighter hair, he said his was never as light as mine (it's like a medium-to-dark golden/reddish blonde), so go figure. What's weird too, is that he has blue eyes, and my mother has brown, so while my sister got the brown eyes, I got green??

Radioduck
August 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM
(These are all guesses, since not many of my family members measure their ponytail circumference and stuff...)
Maternal side:
Grandmother - 1c/2b/F/ii, light blonde
Grandfather - 1b/M/C/iii, dark brown
Mom - 2b/M/C/ii/iii, brown

Paternal side:
Grandfather - ?
Grandmother - ?
Dad: 1a/F/i/ii, light brown

My siblings:
Older brother: 2a/F/ii, brown
Older sister: 1b/F/i, ash blonde I guess

I am a 1c/2a/F/ii (almost a circumference of 4 inches, but not quite) and my hair color is... hard to tell, but probably ashy brown that turns into a very warm brown below eyebrow height. So I inherited

So I guess I inherited my moms texture and thickness, my grandmothers/dads individual strand thickness, and invented my own hair color...?