PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle suggestions/general stuff

Entangled
August 18th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I haven't been here for quite a while. January through May were just too stressful, and I took a break in the summer months. I think I'm back for now. Anyways, I should be posting a one-year anniversary-type post, but I've been out of the loop for so long that it doesn't feel quite right.

Anyways, that being said, my hair's now about hip length, which is rather cool. I remember being at barely shoulder and being able to just barely tuck the ends behind my shoulders to pretend that it was longer. Now, my hair is long enough to get stuck in seat belts or on the shower water-handle-thing. I've been doing a lot of benign neglect, though I do feel guilty that it's been in a lazy braid a lot the past few months. That said, school is starting up soon, which means more thought in outfits and hairstyle. What's a nice first day of school style? I don't want it down (down is my go-to "nice" style), and I'm looking for a not so boring bun (nothing wrong with them, but I've been doing the simple styles in my repertoire all summer), but nothing too elaborate, as a) I have a hard time making said styles work, and b) because I try not too look overly nice/trying too hard on the first day. Suggestions? It's nice to be back.

Lauraes
August 18th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Welcome back!

Maybe a side french braid? It only takes a couple of minutes to do, and it looks casual, but still really cute. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmTAkW2MO4s Like that, only without the hairspray or extensions.

Or maybe a braided bun? Put your hair in a ponytail and english braid the ponytail. Then wrap the braid around like a cinnabun and pin it in place.

Gamma Vector
August 18th, 2015, 07:00 PM
A chinese bun is nice and easy to do, but looks polished and has a bit of flare, without being too fancy.
A helix bun is another good option for the same reasons.

You could always go with milkmaid braids too. They're comfy and look really cute, but not too formal or polished. Easy to do with hip-length hair, so long as you don't have too many layers.

If you pick a bun that's too complicated, but you like it, dress it down a bit by using a simple hairstick. Or if the buns looks too plain, dress it up a bit with a fancier stick. I like the ones with danglies, myself.

Good luck on your first day!

NorthernLorelei
August 18th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Good to have you back, and congratulations on hip length!

Maybe this seashell braid would work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBm_kIUvww
It looks a lot more complicated than it actually is (just a french braid and a lace braid) and would keep your hair off your face.

LauraAlaina
August 19th, 2015, 05:32 AM
What about a half up/half down messy bun??
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/136796907408837328/

Love!!!!

lapushka
August 19th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Half-ups might be great to do. I don't know. I keep my hair up in a LWB at all times and I just love that bun to death! :D

Entangled
August 19th, 2015, 11:04 AM
The reason I don't want my hair down is because it gets in the way and I try not to set untrue precedents from the beginning. A rope braid Chinese bun sounds nice, and I might be able to make it look nicer in front by doing twists at my temples. Braided buns are a standard for me, but I like sectioning them via French braid.

meteor
August 19th, 2015, 01:05 PM
I'd check out simplified Ellingwoman Bun or any simple bun with accent braids/twists in the front, like Regency updo, for example. I think styling the area in the front creates more variety. ;)

DollyDagger
August 19th, 2015, 01:29 PM
i recently watched a video of a girl who did a french braid at the front going up to the middle/top crown stopped and put this section in pony..then she did an upside down french braid from the nape upwards and joined it with the other hair and made a high pony. It looked really good.

Entangled
August 19th, 2015, 05:53 PM
I like that idea, Meteor. I think I might try to spice the way things up front, as my look is kinda boring in the front most days. French braids are not my favorite look (my head looks too square, but they're so comfortable!) so I often use two things (twists, rope braids, etc) when I'm feeling fancy.