PDA

View Full Version : Change in hair personality - completely puzzled.

Hypnotica
August 18th, 2015, 03:44 AM
This is so strange - I can't remember that this particular problem has ever happened to me before.

I started notice it about 2 weeks ago - all of a sudden, my hair goes frizzy in updos in no time at all. My nape hairs even do some sort of curls and I'm a stick straight person(!!!). The summer has been very rainy here but it changed about 3 weeks ago and since then we have had lots of sunshine and no rain.

I have not used any new products or changed anything in my routine since several years ago.

I'm completely baffled by this.

Hurven
August 18th, 2015, 03:59 AM
My hair was stick straight until I hit puberty, then it started to become wavy. I think changes in hair texture are completely normal, I recall reading about other people whose hair changed when they got older.

YellowLedbetter
August 18th, 2015, 07:27 AM
The texture of my hair changed after two pregnancies that were very close together, our girls are 12 months apart. My hair skin and fingernails were all a wreak, despite taking prenatal vitamins and eating as healthy as I know how. It's been almost 6 years now and looking back I think stress played a major role. Typically I'm cool as a cucumber, so it took me some time to recognize the stress for what it was.

divinedobbie
August 18th, 2015, 07:30 AM
It sounds like something to do with the weather maybe since you mentioned it changed around the same time you noticed your hair texture.

People say that their hair gets frizzy when its high humidity which I always found weird, because for me it's when the weather is the driest that it acts up. For me it just means my hair needs more moisture although it usually never goes back to normal until humidity/rain commences again. Maybe you're like me.

lapushka
August 18th, 2015, 08:00 AM
Maybe it's indeed the weather conditions. Is it suddenly 2/wavy/frizzy or just straight/frizzy, the latter would be normal.

Hypnotica
August 18th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I took it down to examen it more closely and I see that the very ends of the shorter hairs all curl outwards, the last inch or so. Maybe it is the weather, it seems to be drier outside then normal.

Anje
August 18th, 2015, 10:38 AM
It could be that you're producing a little more curl now than you used to. Follicles don't always keep doing what they used to -- puberty and pregnancy are the obvious changes, but I know mine changed color in my middle or late 20s, rather than during my teenage years. Maybe your follicles have decided you need a little wave?

I've got the curl-ended new-growth thing too, though I've had it for ages. Any untrimmed hair will curl a bit for 3-4 inches, then all growth beyond that is straight. Makes for very silly perma-frizz that just won't turn into good waves or curls even with curly techniques. So I just laugh, write it off as a side effect of being the only mostly-straight-haired person from a family of wurlies-to-curlies, and get on with life. ;)

Hypnotica
August 18th, 2015, 01:22 PM
It could be that you're producing a little more curl now than you used to. Follicles don't always keep doing what they used to -- puberty and pregnancy are the obvious changes, but I know mine changed color in my middle or late 20s, rather than during my teenage years. Maybe your follicles have decided you need a little wave?

I've got the curl-ended new-growth thing too, though I've had it for ages. Any untrimmed hair will curl a bit for 3-4 inches, then all growth beyond that is straight. Makes for very silly perma-frizz that just won't turn into good waves or curls even with curly techniques. So I just laugh, write it off as a side effect of being the only mostly-straight-haired person from a family of wurlies-to-curlies, and get on with life. ;)

Apparently I may need to have a stern word with my follicles AND try out a deep treatment.

Hypnotica
August 18th, 2015, 01:24 PM
It sounds like something to do with the weather maybe since you mentioned it changed around the same time you noticed your hair texture.

People say that their hair gets frizzy when its high humidity which I always found weird, because for me it's when the weather is the driest that it acts up. For me it just means my hair needs more moisture although it usually never goes back to normal until humidity/rain commences again. Maybe you're like me.

Last summer was long and hot but I can't remember having these issues then. But yes - moisture can't be bad. Worth a try.

brickworld13
August 18th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure my texture is trying to change, but all the henna in it is making everything act funny. The undyed inches have a totally different personality. When it gets wet, especially if it's up and gets wet, I get ringlets all around my hairline. Ringlets!! I haven't had a single curl, ever.

missrandie
August 18th, 2015, 01:29 PM
Mine was getting funky right before I cut to my pixie.. Lots of strange curling hairs. I actually have no idea what my texture is going to do once it gets long!

Arctic
August 18th, 2015, 01:50 PM
My texture changed at around 30 years old, without any pregnancies or illnesses. It's quite normal apparently, usually tied with hormonal changes. You'll need to observe your hair some more before you can say if it's permanent texture change or something temporary.

Klaudia
August 18th, 2015, 02:02 PM
My texture changed during puberty. It went from straight with some light waves to spiraly-curly.
I had a friend, who said her texture also changes, but in 2-5 years periods, her curls loosen or get tighter. I think it's not a rare thing, hair can be funny sometimes :shrug:

spidermom
August 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM
About the only constant that we can count on is change. Since I joined LHC, my hair has changed from 2C to either 1C or 2A; I can't decide.

meteor
August 18th, 2015, 03:07 PM
I agree with others. :)

Barring any obvious humidity issues/new products/product or mineral build-up/accumulated damage, it's likely to be one of those hormonal changes affecting natural texture of new growth - it's common around puberty, pregnancy, menopause, but can probably happen at different times. :shrug:

Hypnotica
August 19th, 2015, 12:14 AM
I can't say that I would be sad if there is some curl developing. As I use henna, they will probably loosen to waves which means some body - something that I would love to have.

Brileeka
August 19th, 2015, 04:20 AM
Also putting your hair up a lot and in braids can make it behave a lot more unruly and frizzy. Kinda like permanent braid waves.