PDA

View Full Version : Full bangs or just a few curls???

livelycurls
August 17th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Hi, I have really curly hair, type 3b-3c. It reaches my shoulders while curly. I want bangs to have a little change, but not sure if I should get full thick bangs or just cut a few curls. What do you think?

turtlelover
August 17th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I tend to prefer the subtle and wispy ones that are slightly transparent, but I normally straighten them to smooth them out somewhat. They look nice but ARE a pain if you have curly or wavy hair.! I think your face shape has a lot to do with what kind of bangs look good. Some people can rock the thick, blunt bangs, but my face is round, and super thick bangs just make my face look fat. I look younger with bangs, and I think they soften my look, but I like them subtle, sort of like Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice.

LongCurlyTress
August 17th, 2015, 09:00 PM
I am growing out my bangs that were mid nose bridge a year ago. I hated them and loved them. I am curly 3b also and I straightened them with a straightener and used spray but as soon as I went outside, was in a car with windows open, it was raining, etc. all I wanted to do was brush them back to get them off my face. I do like how my face looks with them but they create stress and problems and only behave on me for a few minutes. Some curly girls have better luck with them but not me. It wasn't too painful to let them grow back. I just braided them back and used a bobby pin to hold them back into my bun as they grew out. They are now at collarbone length and can be easily BBB brushed back into a bun. But...never again. They were a pain for me, unfortunately~~ When I see bangs on people I do start to think that I want them back so I posted a couple of bad bang pics of myself on my desktop and I look at those any time I get the urge to cut them back in. Good luck! It's not a horrible mistake if you play around and do cut them in. Just don't cut too far back so growing them out is easy. ;)

lapushka
August 18th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I'd not go there with curly hair... I'm wavy and bangs are difficult to maintain because they wave up more than the rest of the hair and because I have cowlicks there (2, 1 on each side) they stick out in all directions.

alexis917
August 18th, 2015, 09:07 AM
With curly hair, I wouldn't. Even if you straighten them everyday, that could look dated and would lead to damage.

longcurlygirl<3
August 18th, 2015, 09:41 AM
I had bangs, which thankfully have grown out. If you plan to have your hair up, too short/wispy bangs would look cute. However full fledge bangs would need work, since your hair is curlier than mine (i'm 3a/3b)

Maybe face framing layers?

Unless you are growing out to a longer length

lapushka
August 18th, 2015, 09:50 AM
This is a curly I love to watch, she's doing her LOC video here, but she's got bangs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55NclS8BpE

LongCurlyTress
August 18th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Great video Lapushka! Thanks for posting!! ;)

Deborah
August 18th, 2015, 11:37 AM
I would not suggest bangs at all with curly hair. I understand they are too hard to control, and most curlies end up frustrated with them, and then find the process of growing them back long a nuisance.

vpatt
August 18th, 2015, 12:17 PM
One of my daughter's has very curly hair......I would say no to bangs unless you know you like them or as said above, very wispy ones.

livelycurls
August 18th, 2015, 12:50 PM
This is a curly I love to watch, she's doing her LOC video here, but she's got bangs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P55NclS8BpE

Something like that is what I want. I'm not planning to straighten them, just leave them curly.

DollyDagger
August 18th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Something like that is what I want. I'm not planning to straighten them, just leave them curly.

I have side swept curly bangs. I wear them curly and let them do their own thing. If they bug me i just clip the tendrils back.
I think they can look nice if not too full but not too wispy either as well as how they angle. Make sure when you trim you account for shrinkage..!

kinda like this
http://cdn2.stylecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Careless-Curly-Bob-with-Side-Swept-Bang.jpg

spirals
August 18th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Alternative: keep the longer hair and set it into waves that go the direction you want. You can do that with clips (or even large curlers) overnight or with a blowdryer on low. By clips I mean these: http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120309/metal_clip_metal_hair_clip_salon_metal.jpg

Arctic
August 18th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I googled pictures of curly bangs, and seemed to me, like with every hairtype, much depends on the face itself. Some bangs styles suit some face shapes better than others. I agree with whom ever said that curly hair and straight bangs is currently out of date look. My intuition also says that very thick curly bangs might be difficult to style, but the google search did show many nice thick and curly bangs too. Side swept styles seemed popular and are also modern. There were quite a few where also couple of fat curls were cut as bangs, looked nice too! The best to my eye were kept somehow lighter and airy rather than really heavy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=curly+bangs&num=20&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI1J_rzs-zxwIViGtyCh2GAQc4&biw=1133&bih=612

If you do go for bangs, be super sure to cut them dry and leave them longer than you'd think at first, to gauge the sproing factor.

Gamma Vector
August 18th, 2015, 05:07 PM
Hey! Fellow curly here! Most people seem to think that bangs don't work on curlies, but that hasn't been my experience. I have thick, blunt bangs that I wear really poofy. I just let them air dry, then take a round brush and brush the curl out and try to brush it kindof under. Then I fluff them up a little with my fingers if I need to. But I agree with everyone else who says it really depends on your face. What you could do is cut yourself some wispy bangs and thicken them up a few days later if you decide you'd like that better.

They're not really a pain in the butt all the time, but they never want to do the same thing twice. But, being curly, you're probably used to that. :p

livelycurls
August 19th, 2015, 12:56 PM
Cut some wispy bangs today. Love them!! :heartbeat I think they make me look younger, thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

turtlelover
August 19th, 2015, 01:03 PM
So happy that you are happy! Enjoy your new hair! :D