PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone demanded (and gotten) money back from a salon?? RANT

kitcatsmeow
August 14th, 2015, 10:16 AM
I am beyond livid and need to vent. I haven't had my hair done for 8 months. Last time I got a beautiful balayage which I let fade over the summer. My hair is/was already light blonde so when I got it done he just did a darker base and touched up a few highlights to make it pop. I went to a new place yesterday because it was much closer. The salon was a color salon and I knew several girls that got their hair done there and loved it. I requested a master stylist assuming since it was a COLOR salon, all stylist would be prive to balayage and ombre. I felt uncomfortable as soon as I met the stylist. He didn't ask me many questions, took a pic of the one I had on my phone and then pulled out the color book. I went to cosmetology school so I am not the average client. When I started questioning his choice of level (much too dark) he asked if I was a stylist. I requested a level 6-7 and he didn't really say anything just pulled a few more colors and then left with the book to start mixing color.

I should have left. Right then. So I'm partially to blame but if I had been just another client with no knowledge he might have further ruined my hair.

He came back with two bowls, one lightener, one color. I had requested olaplex in any lightener if he used it for a few highlights since my hair was already a level 9. He set down foils. FOILS...WTF?? Should have left NOW. Question him about this. Oh I just use them to lay between the, you know, color, Um ok I've seen clear wrap used but never foils. He begins. It took me a while to figure out what he was doing since I wasn't in front of a mirror but he was using only the lightener on my hair. On my ends that were already blonde. DA****. http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/images/smilies/angry.gifHe should have been putting the base on and then after that was done adding a few highlights. It took 2 hours. I had to ask him a couple times to check on my ends because there is no way in **** the lightener should have stayed on that long (I am not certain he used the olaplex mixed in the lightener) When he checked he did use the neutralizer which confirmed to me that my hair was probably frying and he was an idiot.

Now we wash and he does an olaplex treatment (which is why I doubt he mixed it in the lightener. It would have been unnecessary.)Probably didn't make a difference either way because he didn't leave it on nearly long enough. He did not even use a conditioner. Finally I'm at a mirror and I can see the damage. I have a big dark blob on the top of my head and around my temples it was spotty. A complete disaster. Another girl began blow drying and he walked over to his station and stated preening his hair with pomeade. I sat for her to dry my hair about 1/4 of the way into a frizzy mess before I got up and told her I needed to be somewhere. Paid (160 plus 20 tip for 3 hours of wasted time) and fled. All I could think of was how long it was going to take me to fix this mess so I cold be out in public.

I came home and lightened the dark areas by painting on lightener. It lifted the dark to a orangey blonde. The rest of my hair is now platinum. I then did a protein treatment and toned it to counter the orange and deep conditioned. It looks ok now but I'm certain I suffered breakage in my length thanks to his stupidity.
I called the salon to complain after I was done. I've never done this before but I've never had such a bad experience either. I talked to a manager and explained what happened and how upset I was. I also learned I was charged 30 for a blow dry and style when I didn't even get half my hair dried. She promised to call me back after talking to the stylist and owner and to make things right. She said by the end of the day and I haven't heard back yet

I think I should get most of my money back. I even tipped the guy 20 for his time regardless that is was wasted time. I'm calling again this afternoon if I don't hear anything. Even though I fixed it myself I still used my own supplies and another 2 hours of my time and I still will have to go to get the balayage that I wanted in the first place.

I learned a lesson here as well. I should have been patient and waited for an appointment with my regular salon but also I should have walked out or told him I changed my mind about the color and just gotten a little trim. Trust your gut ladies!

missrandie
August 14th, 2015, 10:24 AM
I would squawk until I got what I wanted. I'm so sorry you had to go through this crap!

alexis917
August 14th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Did you take any proof pictures immediately after? Even if your hair looks a liiiiittle better now, it would still help to have some more "proof" of what the colorist did to your hair.

mz_butterfly
August 14th, 2015, 10:47 AM
I just wonder, why did you pay knowing it was a wreck? And why would you tip in that situation?

spidermom
August 14th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Yes I have. An incompetent woman was cutting my daughter's hair, and for a layered style she was actually making horizontal cuts instead of vertical. She was creating what looked like a staircase on my daughter's head. We stopped her, she said she knew what she was doing, my daughter said "stop!", and we left. I had already paid because I was getting a trim from someone else, and when I was finished I paid for both of us.

We went to another hair stylist that we knew and she wrote a note describing the damage and her charges for a complete recut. Then I went to the first place, asked to see the manager, complained, and gave her the note. She refunded the charges for my daughter's haircut.

lapushka
August 14th, 2015, 10:54 AM
My obvious (to me) question to you is... why do you go to a salon if you can most certainly do it yourself just as well, and probably even better?

I'm sorry this happened! :(

meteor
August 14th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I'm so terribly sorry, kitcatsmeow! :grouphug:

Unfortunately, I've been there too, with the "spotty" color (they blamed the uneven color on my hair being too long to work with... only after the fact!) and with hairdresser leaving my hair to over-fry while he was chatting, and, of course, going way too light, even leaving a spot somewhere in the back (!), but I never had the courage to do anything about it. But if you aren't afraid of confrontation, please push for your rights as a customer! :flower:

Since you are an experienced stylist, I would highly recommend doing your own color if you can't find the colorist you trust! :) Have you checked out eSalon.com? :) They send you very specific formula just for your needs, so you can get as specific as you like with them.

About Olaplex, he probably did use it, because if the complete treatment is used during chemical processing, he'd have to use it twice: once mixed with bleach (Olaplex # 1), and then a second time (Olaplex # 2), after bleach.
Why one would need to use foils on hair that is already at level 9 (instead of just hand-painting), is a bit of a mystery to me. :hmm: Maybe he just wasn't experienced at mixing and applying this stuff without it "bleeding" to other strands or drying out, since freehand balayage technique is a bit harder for inexperienced colorists?

kitcatsmeow
August 14th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I'm so terribly sorry, kitcatsmeow! :grouphug:

Unfortunately, I've been there too, with the "spotty" color (they blamed the uneven color on my hair being too long to work with... only after the fact!) and with hairdresser leaving my hair to over-fry while he was chatting, and, of course, going way too light, even leaving a spot somewhere in the back (!), but I never had the courage to do anything about it. But if you aren't afraid of confrontation, please push for your rights as a customer! :flower:

Since you are an experienced stylist, I would highly recommend doing your own color if you can't find the colorist you trust! :) Have you checked out eSalon.com? :) They send you very specific formula just for your needs, so you can get as specific as you like with them.

About Olaplex, he probably did use it, because if the complete treatment is used during chemical processing, he'd have to use it twice: once mixed with bleach (Olaplex # 1), and then a second time (Olaplex # 2), after bleach.
Why one would need to use foils on hair that is already at level 9 (instead of just hand-painting), is a bit of a mystery to me. :hmm: Maybe he just wasn't experienced at mixing and applying this stuff without it "bleeding" to other strands or drying out, since freehand balayage technique is a bit harder for inexperienced colorists?

After talking to the owner I believe he did use the Olaplex in the lightener (which is probably the only reason I suffered very little but definitely some, breakage. ) But yes he did a whole second treatment, Step one and Step two AFTER rinsing the color. Luckily I do have a good designer that I will be seeing on the 31st for balayage after I've given my hair some time to rest from all the chemicals. He has done beautiful balayage in the past and I trust him. I didn't go there in the first place because I was impatient for an appointment and it was an hour drive. The place I went that did the botched job has a fantastic reputation and was recommended.

I just wonder, why did you pay knowing it was a wreck? And why would you tip in that situation?

While I was still in the salon I didn't fully realize how bad it was....not until I saw it in daylight and really could inspect it up close did I see how awful the result was. I have NEVER been so upset by any salon or spa service that I have walked out without paying and this is the first time I was upset enough to ask for a refund. I tipped because regardless of the bad end result, the stylist spent 3 hours of his time with me. He may have done the best job he knew how. Not sticking up for him but I believe the salon is partially at fault for advertising as a artisan color salon and having a stylist that clearly has not been trained in balayage. Also I work for tips and it's hard for me to not tip even the most awful of servers. I think after the shock wore off I finally realized I had paid 180 for something I had to come home and fix.

Did you take any proof pictures immediately after? Even if your hair looks a liiiiittle better now, it would still help to have some more "proof" of what the colorist did to your hair.

I did not! I wish I would have but I came home and immediately started working on it.

meteor
August 14th, 2015, 03:34 PM
He may have done the best job he knew how. Not sticking up for him but I believe the salon is partially at fault for advertising as a artisan color salon and having a stylist that clearly has not been trained in balayage.

Goodness yes! :agree: And you actually specifically asked for *master* stylist for the balayage. Of course, it was perfectly reasonable for you to expect him to know what he was doing.
So sorry about what happened there. :(
But it's awesome that at least he did use Olaplex and that you are a professional at this and also that you have a great colorist you trust who can do all the necessary corrections. :flower:
Best of luck! I really hope your hair will feel much better soon! :pray:

mz_butterfly
August 14th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Hugs to you, I can't imagine how you fee. I would be devastated. :(

LauraAlaina
August 14th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Ok, as a hairstylist let me put in some input. First thing, yes absolutely you can ask for your money back or a re-do. I am lucky to have never had anyone ask for money back from me but it does happen. As a hairstylist we want our clients happy, and if they aren't we need to do anything at all possible to make them happy. He could just be kind of clueless and not realize you didn't like it. Did you let anyone know you didn't like it before you left? That's my biggest peeve, when clients don't say anything at the actual appointment and complain about it later!
Also, don't just assume you know what technique he was using and/or product. If he is a master colorist at his salon, he probably knows what he was doing. It could have been a communication problem.
Anyway, you should call the salon back and ask for a refund and if you're comfortable you could ask to get it redone!
Hope it helps a little, I know having a bad salon experience sucks!!

lapushka
August 15th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I think demanding the money back after you already corrected things is going to be a real hassle! You should have either complained on the spot or went back with the hair like it was done.

kitcatsmeow
August 15th, 2015, 09:16 AM
My obvious (to me) question to you is... why do you go to a salon if you can most certainly do it yourself just as well, and probably even better?

I'm sorry this happened! :(

I should have honestly, I would have been better off! It's really hard to do the back of your own head though and I really wanted some of the darker low lights along with the dark root.

I spoke to the owner this afternoon on the phone and she was honestly a real bitch. She didn't tell me right off she was the owner and just said she was a designer although I had a feeling she was. She argued with me and basically told me I was wrong and had a rebuttal and excuse for everything I was saying. Finally she said she would refund me if I came in and showed her my hair. It would be obvious to anyone that knows hair that it wouldn't be something anyone would want even though it looked MUCH better. Honestly I couldn't stand it the way it was and would have rather had it fixed immediately than a chance at getting my money back.

I was nervous thinking she was going to have another fight and argue in the salon but I went. I was polite and shook her hand and she was polite as well although I could tell she was agitated she refunded me my money.
I'll be giving my hair a break and then seeing my colorist I trust, an hour away, in about a month. In the future I will only go see him for color if it's not something I can do myself.

meteor
August 15th, 2015, 09:24 AM
^ Wow, so you managed to get the money back! :thud: Confrontation is not easy, so yay, good job for standing up for your rights as a customer, kitcatsmeow! :applause
Very smart to wait for your appointment with your own trusty colorist! When they are good, they are soooo worth the wait! ;)

lapushka
August 15th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Yay, good on you for going in and doing it regardless of whether you'd color-corrected it already - takes guts. Here's to getting your money back. Hope your hair hasn't suffered too badly!

missrandie
August 15th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I'm glad you got your money back! Congrats on that not so small victory :)

spidermom
August 15th, 2015, 10:31 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you did get your money back. I was thinking that your chances were slim since you didn't document the immediate result.

kitcatsmeow
August 15th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Yay, good on you for going in and doing it regardless of whether you'd color-corrected it already - takes guts. Here's to getting your money back. Hope your hair hasn't suffered too badly!

I truly believe she didn't think I would come in because I didn't even ask for all my money back. I told her I understood that time and product was used for my service and would like some sort of a refund. And just the way she said it "If you come in and show me your hair you can have all your money back, in cash." Meanwhile I paid cash so....regardless I am happy this experience it mostly behind me. I have a little more corrective work to do before my balayage appt with Colton on the 31st.
My hair is dry and processed but didn't suffer much damage thanks to Olaplex.
Thank you all for you support and understanding and hopefully my story will help someone else make a better decision!

paulam89
August 15th, 2015, 02:09 PM
My hair is dry and processed but didn't suffer much damage thanks to Olaplex.

thank goodness for olaplex, it's a hair saver!! I first heard of it by watching videos by a hair magician by the name Guy Tang on youtube (seriously a genius). I don't think salons in the UK have caught on to how great olaplex is! watch this space.. :)

endlessly
August 15th, 2015, 02:52 PM
My experience wasn't necessarily a "salon", but a Great Clips - and for obvious reasons, I think it's clear why they aren't considered on the "same level". I had a brand new girl as a "stylist" (again, don't really think they should be called that either) that made a HUGE mistake when cutting my hair because she was too involved in a conversation with her coworker about her weekend plans and not paying any attention to what she was doing. So, to make a long story short, I had gone in for a trim and a light layering on the ends - maximum of 1 inch cut - and instead, she cut the top 1/4 of my hair just below my shoulders and then said, "Oops, well I can fix that." If I didn't have my head down - literally chin to my chest because that's the position she'd forced me into - I would have been able to catch it before too much damage was done, but after the first cut, there was nothing I could do but hope that she'd actually try to fix it a bit. I was left with a blunt, very obvious hack job on top, then choppy layers throughout the rest which she had tried to "even up". It was a disaster. But, when I said that it wasn't what I wanted and that she had made a huge mistake, so I shouldn't be forced to pay for it - even demanding to speak to a manager - she threatened to call the police and mall security for me "threatening her" and that no one would believe me because her coworkers would agree with what she said.

So, I paid $10 for the haircut, then she had the audacity to demand a tip for her "time and effort" to which I just walked out versus starting an argument. I went right home, photographed my butchered hair, called the mall to verify they had security cameras at that location, then sent a lengthy e-mail to Great Clips with all of my information, name of the "stylist", pictures, and the fact that I knew it was all caught on camera. I never did get my $10 back, but was sent a few vouchers to even out my hair (I went in once with one of those and dealt with an even worse "stylist", then gave the other two to my mom), the original "stylist" was eventually fired after screwing up one too many haircuts, and I learned a valuable lesson.

It's been nearly 5 years since this happened and I still remember it clear as day, so again, I definitely learned my lesson! It took until this past March to grow out the shortest layer to hip length, which is when I finally cut off the remaining choppy, uneven layered ends. Now, I'm not planning on stepping foot into a salon again!

LauraAlaina
August 15th, 2015, 05:42 PM
I can't believe the manager made you come in and show her your hair! That's so unprofessional!! I would have refunded the money no questions asked, apologized, and even offered to do your hair for free!!

^on a side note, I don't know what great clips is but if they only charge $10 for a haircut I'm gunna say you get what you pay for, yikes! That sucks regardless that that happened to you :(

mindwiped
August 15th, 2015, 09:30 PM
We call them great chops, done they've managed to mess up my husband's hair too. His is a simple #3 guard cut, but he's got really coarse hair, and they kept missing sections.

He now hours to an actual barber, and I've got a hair guy I adore

sarahthegemini
August 16th, 2015, 11:49 AM
I can't believe the manager made you come in and show her your hair! That's so unprofessional!! I would have refunded the money no questions asked, apologized, and even offered to do your hair for free!!

^on a side note, I don't know what great clips is but if they only charge $10 for a haircut I'm gunna say you get what you pay for, yikes! That sucks regardless that that happened to you :(

Considering OP not only paid, but tipped as well, it's not surprising that the manager wanted proof of the 'mishap'

Honestly I'm completely stunned that you got a refund OP, I very much believe if you're unhappy with what the stylist had done, say so there and then. Don't pay, tip and then stab the stylist in the back afterwards. But hey, at least they were understanding!

kitcatsmeow
August 16th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Considering OP not only paid, but tipped as well, it's not surprising that the manager wanted proof of the 'mishap'

Honestly I'm completely stunned that you got a refund OP, I very much believe if you're unhappy with what the stylist had done, say so there and then. Don't pay, tip and then stab the stylist in the back afterwards. But hey, at least they were understanding!

As I said in a previous reply, I didn't realize the full extent of the mess up until I was home and really looked at it. I was kind of in shock when I looked in the mirror and walking out without paying never even crossed my mind. It was unfortunate the whole situation and I agree that getting a full refund was unexpected, as I also stated earlier.
I would have tipped regardless for nothing else but the amount of time the stylist put into my hair.

meteor
August 16th, 2015, 01:23 PM
Kitcatsmeow, sorry if it's slightly off-topic, but how does your hair feel now after new Olaplex applications? :) Since you have quite a bit of experience with Olaplex, I'm curious if the results wear off over time or if the law of diminishing returns kicks in or if it's the opposite: the effect accumulates nicely? :)
Thank you! :flower:

kitcatsmeow
August 16th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Kitcatsmeow, sorry if it's slightly off-topic, but how does your hair feel now after new Olaplex applications? :) Since you have quite a bit of experience with Olaplex, I'm curious if the results wear off over time or if the law of diminishing returns kicks in or if it's the opposite: the effect accumulates nicely? :)
Thank you! :flower:

Olaplex is wonderful and I won't use color or lightener without it! My hair feels strong and healthy even after all it's been through. It's a little dry now because of the protein treatment but that's all. No breakage or hairfall. Pretty incredible. Had Olaplex not been used no doubt I would have suffered a ton of breakage.
The effects do not "wash out" however, bonds can be broken down by heat, chemicals and mechanical damage just as untreated hair would. So over time you may experience normal damage depending on your hair care routine. Hope that makes sense?

meteor
August 16th, 2015, 03:04 PM
^ Oh yes! :D Thanks a lot, kitcatsmeow! :D Great info! :thumbsup:

MoreAutumnForMe
August 22nd, 2015, 01:32 AM
When I was a hair model the first stylist I worked for told me he wanted to dye my hair red for his "trendy" portfolio. Most of my blonde had grown back in but there was some orange from previous dye on the ends. Somehow after bleach and dye it ended up completely fried and a dull greyish color. Since there was nothing worth taking a picture of for his portfolio he said we were done and I left, absolutely crushed at how ugly my hair was. A few days later he texted me and told me since he didn't get a good portfolio picture out of his time I owed him $300. Five years later I still get angry when I see his little orange salon. I haven't dyed my hair since, either. Not after growing out that color.

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 02:31 AM
When I was a hair model the first stylist I worked for told me he wanted to dye my hair red for his "trendy" portfolio. Most of my blonde had grown back in but there was some orange from previous dye on the ends. Somehow after bleach and dye it ended up completely fried and a dull greyish color. Since there was nothing worth taking a picture of for his portfolio he said we were done and I left, absolutely crushed at how ugly my hair was. A few days later he texted me and told me since he didn't get a good portfolio picture out of his time I owed him $300. Five years later I still get angry when I see his little orange salon. I haven't dyed my hair since, either. Not after growing out that color.

You didn't pay him, did you. What about, "You messed up my hair, dimwit."

MoreAutumnForMe
August 22nd, 2015, 03:19 AM
You didn't pay him, did you. What about, "You messed up my hair, dimwit."

Nope! I sent him a very strong reply! Mwahaha

lapushka
August 22nd, 2015, 04:29 AM
Nope! I sent him a very strong reply! Mwahaha

Good for you! Now there! :D :thumbsup:

ExpectoPatronum
August 22nd, 2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear of your bad experience at a salon, but also happy you got your money back!