PDA

View Full Version : Applying hair mask with a brush?

tigress86
August 14th, 2015, 06:51 AM
I was watching instructional videos for hairdressers and I noticed that some of them applied hair masks and treatments by sectioning the hair in thin sections and applying the products with a dye brush. Does anyone apply their products this way? Does it make any noticable difference?

missrandie
August 14th, 2015, 07:02 AM
It seems to me like one would get great coverage that way, but I don't think it is necessarily the best way. It's the hairdressing standard, though.

It would be a good way to keep stuff off the scalp if you are sensitive.

Madame J
August 14th, 2015, 07:34 AM
I definitely noticed a difference sectioning my hair with henna. I have a whole crop of greys hiding under the top layer of my hair at the crown of my head and when I didn't do a good job sectioning, I noticed those greys didn't get stained. I have to make sure to go slowly and evenly to get all the greys, even if I use my fingers instead of a brush. But the consistency of henna is not compatible with a tint brush. I tried it once and abandoned it pretty quickly. For less mud-like treatments, it would probably be a nice way to spread things more evenly.

Hairdressers probably do it that way for evenness so that they don't waste expensive treatment products. If someone is paying for a treatment in a salon, they certainly want it to get all the intended hair.

lapushka
August 14th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Just wring out your hair from the most wetness, then apply your conditioner or treatment. A brush would spread it too thin, I think. Maybe they do that to save product. ;)

paulam89
August 14th, 2015, 08:01 AM
there's nothing better than using your hands and getting stuck in. The conditioner can easily reach all portions of your hair and you can saturate it better in my opinion, when you can feel the ends absorbing the treatment,and the parts you have missed. As the others said I think it's just a way of hairdressers being hairdressers :)

Night_Kitten
August 14th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I've never tried it myself (I use my fingers and a wide-toothed comb to spread oils or masks through my hair, and just my fingers for henna), but it could be a good way to spread things through the hair evenly... Though it would depend on the hair type I think - very curly hair would probably get more damage than good from such a method, and also more damage-prone hair probably won't appreciate the extra brushing either...

Anje
August 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM
A lot of people don't really like getting conditioner on their scalps -- it seems to cause shedding for a decent proportion of folks. So I don't see any particular need to get a mask up into the roots.

I also don't really feel like painting down more than 3 feet of hair with a brush. Whatever you do to the roots, squishing conditioner into the length is usually plenty. :D

Seeshami
August 14th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I use fingers.

meteor
August 14th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Yes, they like to apply it this way in salons. It takes a long time and seems fussy, but I must admit, the conditioning effect was always way better than what I got from using the exact same mask at home (I always slap stuff on haphazardly as I want to get it over with as quickly as possible :oops: ).

I think sectioning well and using a brush really helps spread the product evenly - probably more important the thicker the hair is and the harder the texture of the treatment is to work with. It also appears to be important (and is often stated in instructions) for professional "reconstructor" type products, something like Olaplex or Aphogee 2-Step.

Eastbound&Down
August 14th, 2015, 02:51 PM
I was watching instructional videos for hairdressers and I noticed that some of them applied hair masks and treatments by sectioning the hair in thin sections and applying the products with a dye brush. Does anyone apply their products this way? Does it make any noticable difference?

That's how I do my treatments and it is MUCH more effective. My hair is kind of thick and it ensures that I get full coverage. Definitely recommend it.

tigress86
August 19th, 2015, 03:10 AM
I guess it depends on the hair type and the texture of the product. Since I just ordered deep treatment ampoules that need to be mixed into a conditioner and distributed evenly, I'm going to give this application method a try and see how it goes.

meteor
August 19th, 2015, 04:30 PM
I guess it depends on the hair type and the texture of the product. Since I just ordered deep treatment ampoules that need to be mixed into a conditioner and distributed evenly, I'm going to give this application method a try and see how it goes.

Sounds interesting! :D What ampoules did you order, tigress86? :) Is that a protein reconstructor kind of treatment, by any chance?

tigress86
August 20th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Sounds interesting! :D What ampoules did you order, tigress86? :) Is that a protein reconstructor kind of treatment, by any chance?

I ordered Alfaparf Shine intensive treatment: http://www.amazon.com/AlfaParf-Shine-Intensive-Treatment-0-50/dp/B004XNL428
They have different kind of treatments, I think they have a repair treatment with proteins and ceramides as well. Generally I find all Alfaparf products really good.

meteor
August 20th, 2015, 04:35 PM
^ Thanks a lot for sharing, tigress86! :D It looks really interesting! :D

Hairkay
August 20th, 2015, 05:03 PM
I just use my fingers even if its a henna gloss.