PDA

View Full Version : Using foam rollers for heat-less overnight curls AND getting a good nights sleep!

Nadine <3
August 12th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I bought a large bag of those cheep foam rollers that are supposed to be comfortable to sleep in...well they're not! So I put them in my hair MY way, and I got FAB curls, overnight and I got a good, comfortable night of sleep. I figured since heat-less curls and waves are always a topic of conversation here, I'd share my new favorite way to curl my hair.
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/007_zpshwsljh9r.jpg

This was taken about 10 minutes after waking up. All I did was shake it out and smoothed it a tad with some grapeseed oil. I had some frizzies.

What I did, was I washed my hair last night and waited until I had damp hair, maybe 80 percent dry. Flipped my hair upside down and smoothed some gel in to give it hold. Then I loosely pony tailed my hair (Keep it loose or you'll get pony tail dents...it does somewhat blend with the curl, but I like to try and avoid them as best as I can) After it was pony tailed, I split my hair into sections and put the rollers on. I did pretty small sections, but you can do bigger ones for a bigger, looser curl if you like. The finished product looks hilarious.
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s637/nschommer22/150811-222200_zpsdfpd9fih.jpg

The bun itself I have to do right before I go to bed, otherwise the weight of it will hurt my neck. It feels fine laying down though, because the whole bun rests on my pillow right above my head. Nothing lumpy or bumpy to try and sleep on! I hope some of you try this and share your results!:)

Kitten1030
August 12th, 2015, 10:24 AM
That came out gorgeous! I even like your sleep bun. I had some of those foam rollers I think I might have chucked them though. If I find them I'm going to try this. Give my kids another reason to laugh at me for my hair experiments.

Nadine <3
August 12th, 2015, 10:27 AM
That came out gorgeous! I even like your sleep bun. I had some of those foam rollers I think I might have chucked them though. If I find them I'm going to try this. Give my kids another reason to laugh at me for my hair experiments.

Haha, thanks! I got mine super cheep at the dollar store and then ignored them for months because I couldn't sleep on them and the curls turned out way to tight and weird. They turn out great with the pony tail though!

Breanna
August 12th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Those curls look awesome! Haha even the bun is cute. I've been wanting to get some foam rollers for a while, I really need to remember them next time I'm at walmart.

lapushka
August 12th, 2015, 03:50 PM
Those are *perfect* curls, Nadine! :thumbsup: :)

diddiedaisy
August 12th, 2015, 07:23 PM
That is such a good idea and the curls are gorgeous.

DKSABS
August 12th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Your curls look awesome!!!

I've actually been sleeping in foam rollers the usual way several nights per week, and they are definitely not comfortable, but the curls they make are awesome. I've been sleeping in foam rollers the first few nights after washing my hair and wearing my hair down to work those days, then sleeping in a bun with a bun former and then wearing the bun/bun former to work the last 2-3 days before washing again. I decided to try this out tonight, using the bun former to get the ponytail on top of my head and then using 6 of the small foam rollers on the ponytail hair. Hope it looks good tomorrow. If not, I can always just wear a bun with the bun former to work. Thanks for sharing the idea!

spidermom
August 12th, 2015, 10:46 PM
That's exactly how I used to curl my hair. Unfortunately, my hair is too long to hold a curl now or I'd still do it.

Jo Ann
August 13th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Way to go, Nadine! Awesome look!

Pat Wright
August 13th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Beautiful curls, Nadine! Right now I have 4 braids with foam rollers on the ends.:cheese:

Nebulae
August 13th, 2015, 12:20 PM
I had thought about trying it that way but never actually got to the point of doing it! Good to hear it worked for you! I do need to shower tonight, maybe I will give this a try :D

meteor
August 14th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Looks great, Nadine<3! :thumbsup:

I know starting with ponytails is a popular method for roller-setting hair if one wants to create straight roots and curly/wavy length. But I didn't know it creates such lovely effect even with just 1 ponytail! Great stuff! :D