PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty clarifying suggestions

jupiterinleo
August 11th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Long story short--my length is so abominably full of buildup and isn't behaving at all. It's not even responding to any kind of deep conditioning, or even clarifying with Suave at every wash for the past month.

I need to break out the big guns. Where should I go from here? Dish soap? Which kind? Etc.

meteor
August 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Try to get a product that's both Clarifying and Chelating (removing mineral build-up from water).
I just suggest that, seeing that you've already clarified multiple times without result, it usually means that the build-up is of a different kind. ;)

Joico K-Pak Professional makes a very good one.

But you could get something cheaper, like a combination Neutrogena Anti-Residue (clarifying) plus a Swimmers' (chelating) shampoo (e.g. by Ion).

Always follow up by a good deep moisturizing treatment, e.g. the SMT or moisturizing conditioner + a few drops of oil. :)

jupiterinleo
August 11th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Try to get a product that's both Clarifying and Chelating (removing mineral build-up from water).
I just suggest that, seeing that you've already clarified multiple times without result, it usually means that the build-up is of a different kind. ;)

Joico K-Pak Professional makes a very good one.

But you could get something cheaper, like a combination Neutrogena Anti-Residue (clarifying) plus a Swimmers' (chelating) shampoo (e.g. by Ion).

Always follow up by a good deep moisturizing treatment, e.g. the SMT or moisturizing conditioner + a few drops of oil. :)

:doh:
I completely forgot about chelating! I'll be trying those out.

Kherome
August 11th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Definitely chelate

missrandie
August 11th, 2015, 10:44 AM
I really like the Pantene clarifying in the clear bottle. That stuff strips all the gunk off! Some folks have said that it is also a chelator, but I don't know. All I know is that it works.

The-Young-Maid
August 11th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I had a buildup problem a couple weeks ago(heavy oiling and cone buildup); so I mixed up a baking soda paste and applied it all throughout my hair from root to tip. I washed my hair soon after applying - problem solved. I suggest trying this before going out and buying a clarifying shampoo. Just keep adding baking soda to a bowl of water till its paste-y.

renia22
August 11th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I would definitely try a chelating shampoo, but also, if you continue to have problems, perhaps it's not what you are using, but your water? Maybe try rinsing your hair with a gallon or two of purified or distilled water and see if that helps. If so, perhaps you need a water filter, or to change an existing filter if you already have one?

Knifegill
August 11th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Can you identify what is actually in your hair to begin with? What kind of build-up? Can you change your environment so that build-up stops happening? Just thinking long-term, help for the future.

jupiterinleo
August 11th, 2015, 11:25 AM
Can you identify what is actually in your hair to begin with? What kind of build-up? Can you change your environment so that build-up stops happening? Just thinking long-term, help for the future.

I'm not super sure. I think I have a bit of silicone buildup but it's exasperated by my poor water quality. My water is so mineraly/full of chlorine that it stings my eyes very badly and dries out my skin. I might have to start rinsing with distilled water but it sounds so wasteful. :(

Knifegill
August 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Maybe you can get a water softener or something?

meteor
August 11th, 2015, 11:44 AM
I had a buildup problem a couple weeks ago(heavy oiling and cone buildup); so I mixed up a baking soda paste and applied it all throughout my hair from root to tip. I washed my hair soon after applying - problem solved. I suggest trying this before going out and buying a clarifying shampoo. Just keep adding baking soda to a bowl of water till its paste-y.

Unfortunately, baking soda is abrasive and also very alkaline, which is problematic for skin and hair. The scalp pH is 5.5, and the hair shaft pH is 3.67 (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158629/). Baking soda paste would be extremely alkaline. High pH products can temporarily disrupt skin's barrier function, which can lead to dryness, inflammation... and also increases negative charge of hair fiber, making it more likely to have static and to be harder to detangle (which ultimately increases mechanical damage from combing/handling).

KittyBird recently linked (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=132501&p=3059819&viewfull=1#post3059819)a very interesting blogpost on using baking soda: http://blog.kanelstrand.com/2014/01/baking-soda-destroyed-my-hair.html :) It's really worth checking out, if only for the wonderful demonstration with pH testing strips of what logarithmic scale of pH really means for how difficult it is to use it safely (each whole pH value above 7 is ten times more alkaline than the value right before it).

I'm not super sure. I think I have a bit of silicone buildup but it's exasperated by my poor water quality. My water is so mineraly/full of chlorine that it stings my eyes very badly and dries out my skin. I might have to start rinsing with distilled water but it sounds so wasteful. :(

It's not as expensive if you buy your distilled water where they sell it for car radiators. You can get huge amounts for cheap there. :D Alternatively, use a pinch of citric acid to "soften" the water you use a bit.

jupiterinleo
August 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure if our landlords would want to bother with a water softener, though, as they're in charge of plumbing. Ah well.

Anje
August 11th, 2015, 11:48 AM

At minimum, I suggest you get a shower head filter. If the chlorine is stinging your eyes and drying your skin, it's probably doing worse to your lungs. :( My hubby had a similar situation in his apartment, and a simple filter (from Home Depot, like $30) made an enormous difference. It helped his hair too, which was suffering pretty badly even though it was only 2-3 inches long.

jupiterinleo
August 11th, 2015, 11:52 AM
It's not as expensive if you buy your distilled water where they sell it for car radiators. You can get huge amounts for cheap there. :D Alternatively, use a pinch of citric acid to "soften" the water you use a bit.

Didn't think of this. I might look into that. Thanks for the help!

Nique1202
August 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't recommend baking soda (or vinegar, before that comes up) as clarifying washes. Baking soda especially is alkaline, where hair likes to stay neutral-to-acidic. Using it as a paste is basically like rubbing very fine sand into your hair to get the buildup out, it might get some types of buildup off but it can also wear away the outer layer of the hair if you do it too much because it's abrasive. And, neither baking soda nor vinegar will remove mineral buildup from hair. Citric acid can but it's tricky. Chelating and clarifying are best left to commercial shampoo designed to do the job because it'll be formulated to be the most effective while keeping the hair in its best condition afterward.

jupiterinleo
August 11th, 2015, 11:54 AM
At minimum, I suggest you get a shower head filter. If the chlorine is stinging your eyes and drying your skin, it's probably doing worse to your lungs. :( My hubby had a similar situation in his apartment, and a simple filter (from Home Depot, like $30) made an enormous difference. It helped his hair too, which was suffering pretty badly even though it was only 2-3 inches long.

I actually didn't know they were so cheap. I'll ask my roommates tonight and look into this as well.

Anje
August 11th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I actually didn't know they were so cheap. I'll ask my roommates tonight and look into this as well.

Yeah, they're quite cheap, and it's just like replacing a shower head. (I've replaced LOTS of showerheads, because I like the handheld type and those are higher up and good for tall people! Very easy, anyone can do it, totally within your rights as a tenant.) Easy to DIY and your landlord shouldn't care or even know. Pick up some teflon tape too (make sure it doesn't leak, wrap it to the right) and maybe some pliers or a pipe wrench if you don't have one, to make it easier to get the shower head on and off. You probably have some mineral buildup that'll make it hard to do by hand.

The-Young-Maid
August 11th, 2015, 04:14 PM
I just wanted to reply to the others about how damaging baking soda is; I KNOW. BS was effective for the product buildup I had. But be aware that it will be damaging with extended use. Thats why bs+acv is such a bad idea. I suggested it because it worked for me, is cheap and easy. Your hair won't be ruined after using it once (my hair is much silkier now than before) and you don't have to run out and buy a new shampoo. YMMV:blossom:

Groovy Granny
October 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago when I realized I had argan oil discoloration of my silver, I made my own recipe after searching LHC and youtube while waiting for my products to come in.

I shampooed with it twice (3 days apart); silver shampoo with palmolive dish soap...then followed by a lemon juice (chelating)rinse.... with a good conditioner and oil on my ends after.....and it came out great :thumbsup:

Today I tried Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo.
A little dab does it; low sudsing but leaves you squeaky clean.
My new pantene sheer volume conditioner used after, left my hair soft and manageable...without any oils!

I still have Joico Clarifying/chelating shampoo to try; I will wait 2 weeks, then get on a monthly regimen as needed.
In between I'll use my silver shampoo weekly, alternating with pantene sheer volume, and mid month neutrogena to keep my silver/white sparkling (and Joico only if needed) :cool:

I'll update after I use Joico in a couple of weeks ~

turtlelover
October 13th, 2015, 06:34 PM

Be CAREFUL with this! Baking soda came the nearest of ANYTHING I've ever used to totally frying/drying out my hair. It literally took 2 weeks to recover. Not all hair can handle it!

Groovy Granny
October 29th, 2015, 12:43 PM
A couple of weeks ago when I realized I had argan oil discoloration of my silver, I made my own recipe after searching LHC and youtube while waiting for my products to come in.

I shampooed with it twice (3 days apart); silver shampoo with palmolive dish soap...then followed by a lemon juice (chelating)rinse.... with a good conditioner and oil on my ends after.....and it came out great :thumbsup:

Today I tried Neutrogena Clarifying shampoo.
A little dab does it; low sudsing but leaves you squeaky clean.
My new pantene sheer volume conditioner used after, left my hair soft and manageable...without any oils!

I still have Joico Clarifying/chelating shampoo to try; I will wait 2 weeks, then get on a monthly regimen as needed.
In between I'll use my silver shampoo weekly, alternating with pantene sheer volume, and mid month neutrogena to keep my silver/white sparkling (and Joico only if needed) :cool:

I'll update after I use Joico in a couple of weeks ~

2 treatments 4 days apart went well; the second time I only did it for half the time recommended :)
My hair was soft and wurly, and I could see a definite brightening of all my colors (white/silver/light blonde/caramel/cinnamon).
The argan oil stains are GONE :happydance:

The first time my hair felt a bit flyaway @ day 4 post treatment.
The second time I noticed more dryness on the ends the next day so I oiled them...a few times actually; it sucked it up lol.

So from here on out, my goal is to having a balance between keeping my silver bright ....but avoiding dryness.

So I am considering bimonthly silver shampoos....alternating with Joico moisture and Pantene sheer volume; rotations/usage will depend on how my hair feels from shampoo to shampoo.

I will see how the staining looks and possibly clarifying with neutrogena once a month...... then quarterly chelating/clarifying with the Joico.

How are you all doing? :popcorn:

eshta
October 29th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I agree with a shower water filter/softener to prevent future problems. I bought one last week, I also have pretty hard water with a lot of iron and noticed a big difference right away. It also means less lime scale on the shower walls ;)

I have trouble finding any chelating shampoos over here, so I'm making do with heavy overnight coconut oilings (chelates iron and copper) and club soda (or in my case san pellegrino. It breaks up calcium deposits and neutralizes chlorine) rinses. That works for me.

cat11
October 30th, 2015, 07:53 AM
I think Suave Clarifying shampoo which is a clearish blue is the bomb. It's never failed to clean something out of my hair.

Groovy Granny
October 30th, 2015, 07:58 AM
I think Suave Clarifying shampoo which is a clearish blue is the bomb. It's never failed to clean something out of my hair.

I have seen that here and will try it at some point; it will be a bit cheaper than the Neutrogena I will be using monthly.

I wonder if it is less harsh/drying...or more :hmm:

The Joico I will keep on hand for quarterly chelating and clarifying.

trolleypup
October 30th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Heavy duty, eh?

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. Very very good at getting oily type substances out. All of them. No lingering effect on my coarse tough hair.

Groovy Granny
October 30th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Heavy duty, eh?

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. Very very good at getting oily type substances out. All of them. No lingering effect on my coarse tough hair.

I used that a couple times with a lemon juice rinse....worked great even on my fine hair .....then my Joico came in ;)

renia22
October 30th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I have seen that here and will try it at some point; it will be a bit cheaper than the Neutrogena I will be using monthly.

I wonder if it is less harsh/drying...or more :hmm:

The Joico I will keep on hand for quarterly chelating and clarifying.

Have you tried Prell? $2.50 at Walmart, and it's another one that gets everything out :)

Groovy Granny
October 30th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Have you tried Prell? $2.50 at Walmart, and it's another one that gets everything out :)

No I haven't...thanks :)

Someone else mentioned suave too.

I got Joico for clarifying and chelating having never done it before....and there were argan oil stains, but that has been taken care of and now I just want a good but lighter/cheaper shampoo.

Mimione001
November 1st, 2015, 01:20 AM
I agree with a shower water filter/softener to prevent future problems. I bought one last week, I also have pretty hard water with a lot of iron and noticed a big difference right away. It also means less lime scale on the shower walls ;)

I have trouble finding any chelating shampoos over here, so I'm making do with heavy overnight coconut oilings (chelates iron and copper) and club soda (or in my case san pellegrino. It breaks up calcium deposits and neutralizes chlorine) rinses. That works for me.

Hi, i'm in the Netherlands too and i have found the Joico K clarifying shampoo at www.haarshop.nl They deliver the next day. (in case you wan't to try this shampoo)

eshta
November 1st, 2015, 02:04 AM
Thanks Mimione001 I never thought to look online :o. It looks interesting but :disbelief whoa that price! (I've never paid that much for a shampoo) But I guess if you only use it about once a month it will last a while.

Mimione001
November 2nd, 2015, 12:10 AM
Thanks Mimione001 I never thought to look online :o. It looks interesting but :disbelief whoa that price! (I've never paid that much for a shampoo) But I guess if you only use it about once a month it will last a while.

Yesm it is very expensive, but you only have to use a little bit. But if there is a cheap alternative.... you can try that first.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2015, 04:04 AM

That logic is a bit skewed. If you buy the Suave daily clarifying, you'll only need a bit of that a month as well, and it will last you as long, and *not* cost you an arm & a leg. ;)

eshta
November 2nd, 2015, 04:11 AM
You're right lapushka :D. I was thinking more in de lines of 'I wouldn't pay that price for a shampoo I would use a few times a week'. Costs per use would still be the same of course, but you wouldn't have to buy a new bottle nearly as fast.

Dommydomdom
November 3rd, 2015, 09:16 AM
I'm also looking for a heavy duty but WO-friendly clarifier - any suggestions?

renia22
November 3rd, 2015, 11:03 AM
I'm also looking for a heavy duty but WO-friendly clarifier - any suggestions?

What would the requirements be for a WO- friendly clarifier?

Dommydomdom
November 4th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Anything that doesn't completely strip the hair and scalp of it's natural sebum (which is what we use to condition and protect our hair) but gets rid of excess sebum buildup and dirt from the environment (e.g. dust, smoke, smells, etc.)

lapushka
November 4th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Anything that doesn't completely strip the hair and scalp of it's natural sebum (which is what we use to condition and protect our hair) but gets rid of excess sebum buildup and dirt from the environment (e.g. dust, smoke, smells, etc.)

I think any cheap conditioner will do for that! :) Don't rub it in too too well, or you'll be on the CO method, though. ;)

Dommydomdom
November 5th, 2015, 02:48 AM
Thanks lapushka! You have great advice :D

lapushka
November 5th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks lapushka! You have great advice :D

I try. I hope it works out if you try it. :)