PDA

View Full Version : damaged hair breakage...worst salon experience ever...

estherrose
August 9th, 2015, 01:17 PM
hi there, let me start from the beginning...I've been coloring my hair for years without any major problems. I went to a salon last year thinking it would be better for my hair and a new hairstylist she bleached my hair wrongly and pulled my hair through a hair cap pulling roughly on my hair when she wasnt supposed to use the haircap either she was also spraying water in my eyes while washing it out and I told her the water was hot she also detangled my wet hair with a metal brush from what I recall, so they asked me to come back to fix it and they bleached it again the manager of the hair salon invited me back but didn't fix it really and i ended up with an ashy dark blond with no streaks yet, she oddly never responded to my phone call to set up an appointment for the rest of my hair to be finished, she had even told me she had more left to do but I guess she gave up half done without telling me and i was polite and sweet as i usually am the entire time. So I was left with what I had and in the following months I tried to fix it myself. I noticed breakage since the salon. anyway I decided to not color my hair at all and go all natural even using all natural items to wash my hair with, which gave me three months of no breakage and really thick hair...then I started coloring again and washing my hair everyday for a new job and now my hair is breaking again although not as badly as after the salon. I have this batista dry shampoo and it works great I'm thinking of only washing once or twice a week and massaging my scalp and the question I have is what to do about breakage? does braiding hair keep it from breaking less than just leaving it down straight all the time? should I skip using the comb on wet hair? I'm also going to make sure I only color once every month or once every two months on roots only instead of all over. any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

estherrose
August 9th, 2015, 01:20 PM
my hair length goal is below my waist or to my knees :)

meteor
August 9th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Estherrose, so sorry about the bad salon experience! :grouphug:

For damage control and for reducing breakage from chemical treatments, my biggest recommendation is hydrolyzed protein (silk, keratin, collagen, wheat, soy, etc...)
I'd try something strong in your case, like Aphogee 2-Step (http://www.sallybeauty.com/aphogee--2step-treatment/SBS-670567,default,pd.html) or Joico K-Pak Reconstructor, or DIY gelatin mask (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html). Always follow up with moisturizing treatment (e.g. conditioner + honey + aloe + oil).

Sleeping on silky smooth materials and keeping hair contained (in simple updos or braids) is going to help reduce wear and tear. I'd avoid over-brushing and I'd stick to minimal detangling with fingers/wide-tooth comb only. Obviously, avoid heat-styling and chemical treatments and avoid over-washing or over-styling your hair, if you can. It's very important not to accumulate more damage on top of old damage, because hair is dead matter that cannot "recover".

I highly recommend pre-poo oiling with coconut oil (or other penetrating oils). because it reduces porosity, hygral fatigue and keratin loss during washing/combing and increases hair's elasticity: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/03/oil-pre-shampoo-or-pre-wash.html. For after-wash care, I like LOC to seal moisture in (a combination of tiny amounts of liquid leave-in + oil + cream/lotion).

And look for conditioners/masks with proteins, oils, silicones and ceramides (they are helpful for slip and patch-repairing chemically treated hair: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/08/ceramides-patching-up-damaged-hair.html). These products tend to be marketed for processed/damaged hair anyway.

I really hope things will get much better! :D For now, just baby your hair with lots of oils and protective styling. :flower:
Best of luck and Happy growing! :cheer:

meteor
August 9th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Sorry, I've just realized I failed to address these specific questions :oops: :

I have this batista dry shampoo and it works great I'm thinking of only washing once or twice a week and massaging my scalp and the question I have is what to do about breakage? does braiding hair keep it from breaking less than just leaving it down straight all the time? should I skip using the comb on wet hair?

Dry shampoo is great, if it helps you stretch washes and doesn't cause any problems for your scalp. :thumbsup:

Long hair tends to tangle more, so braiding is a way of containing it, so generally speaking, I'd say yes to braids, especially if you use hair-friendly ties only (e.g. silky ribbons, hair bungees, scrunchies... or simple elastics without metal or snaggy bits). Buns are more protective though, because they protect the ends as well and make sure you won't have hair rubbing against chairs, seatbelts, etc...

Combing wet hair... depends. Some people prefer detangling wet hair covered in conditioner in the shower, others wait until hair is completely dry. Try it both ways and see what produces better slip and less hair pulled out. Make sure you use wide-tooth (preferably seamless) comb/rake and/or fingers.
HTH! :flower:

lapushka
August 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Also, try and do S&D rather than trims. Inspect your hair for white dots (they are breakage indicators and are usually a while up a strand), and split ends. Snip those individual hairs off above the damage (above dot, above split). If your hair is riddled with them, trims are better.

You can't fix breakage, you can only make sure the hair doesn't give out as fast and the dots won't break as fast.

Kherome
August 9th, 2015, 06:37 PM
You're not likely to ever make knee if you bleach. You may struggle to pass your waist. I've seen a few heads of really resilient, strong hair that can bleach and be longer, but that's more of an exception than the rule.

If you must continue to bleach consider typical LHC protocols: Add in the protein! Bleached hair needs protein. Oil your hair pre-bleach with a good dose of coconut oil. Do not brush it or comb it with anything other than fingers or a seamless wide tooth comb. Wear it up during the day, and contain it at night (braid, bun or cap) while sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase to avoid friction. Bleached hair is weak hair, it cannot tolerate the friction of a cotton pillow case without breakage. No blow dryers or elastics etc.

HairPlease
August 9th, 2015, 06:59 PM
I am a bleach head. I use a protein filler directly after the bleach is applied every time. I'm also going to start soaking in coconut oil before bleaching, the more I read about it the more it seems like an essential step in keeping your hair looking and feeling like, well, hair.
I personally sleep on silk, and in a braid. I also never ever wear it loose if there's going to be any kind of wind or excess motion, or work in which my hair may get tangled. I have near none on the breakage scale.
Bleaching weakens the hair so that a lot of bleach "damage" actually comes from handling. Bleached hair cannot withstand very much handling (combing, brushing, fiddling with it). I hope this helps. :)

estherrose
October 22nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
thank you so much for your response!! : ) these are all great tips!! thank you : )

Mrstran
October 22nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
hi there, let me start from the beginning...I've been coloring my hair for years without any major problems. I went to a salon last year thinking it would be better for my hair and a new hairstylist she bleached my hair wrongly and pulled my hair through a hair cap pulling roughly on my hair when she wasnt supposed to use the haircap either she was also spraying water in my eyes while washing it out and I told her the water was hot she also detangled my wet hair with a metal brush from what I recall, so they asked me to come back to fix it and they bleached it again the manager of the hair salon invited me back but didn't fix it really and i ended up with an ashy dark blond with no streaks yet, she oddly never responded to my phone call to set up an appointment for the rest of my hair to be finished, she had even told me she had more left to do but I guess she gave up half done without telling me and i was polite and sweet as i usually am the entire time. So I was left with what I had and in the following months I tried to fix it myself. I noticed breakage since the salon. anyway I decided to not color my hair at all and go all natural even using all natural items to wash my hair with, which gave me three months of no breakage and really thick hair...then I started coloring again and washing my hair everyday for a new job and now my hair is breaking again although not as badly as after the salon. I have this batista dry shampoo and it works great I'm thinking of only washing once or twice a week and massaging my scalp and the question I have is what to do about breakage? does braiding hair keep it from breaking less than just leaving it down straight all the time? should I skip using the comb on wet hair? I'm also going to make sure I only color once every month or once every two months on roots only instead of all over. any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Woah.. It was similar with me too. I spent $600 to have my hair fried at a salon ( bleach highlights to gradually lighten hair) over a few visits. I had to chop it off and now I'm really working on fixing it and growing it out natural. No more heat or dye. I wish you the best of luck!