PDA

View Full Version : Stylist cut my hair short?!

AngelAlly
August 8th, 2015, 05:38 PM
This morning I had slightly longer than BSL hair and I now have collar bone length hair with layers. I wanted something slightly shorter between APL and BSL because it has been so hot plus I was due for a trim anyway. I told the stylist what I wanted and even showed her with hair in hand what I wanted off. I have my glasses off when I get trims so I can't really see. When she was done I was in shock. She cut about nine inches off! When I got home I cried. I don't understand why she would cut that much off when I told her how much? Has anyone else received a shoulder length cut instead of a couple inches? I just don't understand why she would do that.

Aurum
August 8th, 2015, 06:07 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you! :( Some stylists just don't understand clear directions, which is why a lot of LHC members have stopped going to salons and now trim at home. The only thing I can say is that it will grow back, and until then you can only try to enjoy the ride. At least your hair won't feel so hot...?

vpatt
August 8th, 2015, 06:32 PM
Did you let her know how unhappy you were with her work? I don't know if I would be able to say anything if that happened to me. If I was near tears I might not want to talk to them. But I really think they should be held accountable, tho I'm not sure how. I would let my daughter who has long hair give me a trim, but other than that I will only do trims myself. I have not been to a shop since I have been letting it grow.....a year now. It really bothers me to hear these stories......

yogagirl
August 8th, 2015, 06:55 PM
I am SO SORRY that happened to you! :( Sending hugs!

That definitely should not have happened. Do you know the stylist or was this your first time seeing her? Not that it really matters. I do think you should go back there and talk to the stylist or manager (whoever you feel more comfortable talking to). You should let them know that it was not the service you agreed upon.

Siiiigh. I'm really sorry you have to deal with this.

cadencesday
August 8th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I had waist length hair for years and my mother in law who is a hairstylist cut in to my shoulders. I cried for weeks. I loved long hair and only knew how to style long hair with buns, ponytails, braids and so I was in complete shock. Years later, I grew past it. I secretly think people are just scissor happy when they see long hair. I flat out tell anyone with scissors now that I like length and watch them like a hawk now. Hopefully your hair will grow fast. Mine took a year and half to grow back and I can say it looked a lot healthier because I stop using brushes and elastic bands in it.

flickm
August 9th, 2015, 12:52 AM
Nightmare, poor you. This is the reason I stopped going to hairdressers years ago. I got very firm and watched them like a hawk, because they seem to be trained to believe that they have the right to cut off anything longer than shoulder length which, to them, is long hair. Not all are that ruthless but many are. Now, first of all a huge hug to you. I know exactly how you are feeling. Then, if you havent already, go back and complain. You were probably so upset that you paid them without thinking, but now I think you need to ask for compensation. They have a duty to provide the service you asked for. If it had been a bad dye job or something of that nature, they would legally be able to get away with putting it right. But they cant put your hair back, so they need to compensate you. Tell them they have caused you great distress. If they wont do anything, threaten legal action. You need to do this,if you can face it, for the sake of anyone else in the same position as you, as well as for yourself.

I do realise you may simply be too shaken up to do this, but whatever happens, i would think twice about getting hair trimmed professionally again. There is lots of info on these forums about self trimming, or not trimming at all.

Gamma Vector
August 9th, 2015, 12:58 AM
I had this happen to me recently. Asked for a trim, lost thirteen inches. I didn't pay her, and I hope you didn't either. *hugs* I'm so sorry! I hope it grows back quickly!

lapushka
August 9th, 2015, 04:03 AM
Yes, protest on the spot. That's *always* the best thing to do. I hope you didn't pay her and went home quietly without making a fuss. I'm so sorry. :blossom:

AmmyRose
August 9th, 2015, 09:03 AM
How aggravating! This is not helping my dislike of hair salons! Luckily my sister has a great hairdresser but I'll have to wait until I'm visiting home (UK) later this year as I'm living in NY. I have not had great experiences with them here, either. They don't "get" my hair type but in November one of them went crazy chopping off my old henna. I was pretty done with my hair at the time but in hindsight I should have been mad about that. It's shoulder length atm because I kept messing with it.

I would honestly go back there and put in a complaint. The hairdresser will probably do it again to someone otherwise! Reviews, and complaining to the hairdresser is the correct way to go. I would never pay if a hairdresser did that with me.

The hair will grow back, obviously, but I'm sorry to hear that happened.

pixldust
August 9th, 2015, 09:51 AM
I 'm so sorry you had this happen. What is it with some stylists and their 'I'll cut it the way I want to, not the way the client wants' approach to hairdressing? You clearly indicated what you wanted, and if the stylist was unsure she could have erred on the side of caution; cut a bit, then checked with you and trimmed more if you were happy for her to do so. I think they get carried away with an idea of how they think your hair should look, regardless of what they've been asked to do.
I don't know how you feel about complaining, but it could be a good idea to at least let them know that you aren't happy with how your hair was cut and how much it upset you.

AngelAlly
August 9th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Thank you guys. I'm still really upset but I wanted to answer some of the questions you asked. I have been going to that salon for five years. I normally see another stylist. The one that cut me I believe she is the manager. I didn't complain, I just paid and left because I wanted to get out of there. I never said where but it was at a supercuts.

flickm
August 9th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Thank you guys. I'm still really upset but I wanted to answer some of the questions you asked. I have been going to that salon for five years. I normally see another stylist. The one that cut me I believe she is the manager. I didn't complain, I just paid and left because I wanted to get out of there. I never said where but it was at a supercuts.

You can still go back and complain. If you can pluck up the courage to be firm and not be intimidated, then it's really worth trying to get some form of compensation - and I don't mean another haircut, which is likely what they will try to offer you. You paid for a service which was not what you had asked for. Wait till upset morphs into angry, then confront them!

sarahthegemini
August 9th, 2015, 12:08 PM
That sucks, why must they do what they think is best.

I don't see the point in going back to complain tho, I feel like you missed your window of opportunity :-/

AngelAlly
August 10th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I wanted to say Thank you again to everyone who replied to my post. You all helped me feel better about this. I found once positive thing about the situation. Around two years ago I used a semi permanent color by Clairol in Spiced Tea a light auburn color. Well, the redness washed out weeks later but it left my whole head a little lighter than my brown hair. After this cut I don't have anymore lighter hair towards the bottom, it's all my own brown. It will look nicer grown out all the same color. Once again, thank you for the support I really appreciated it. :)

lapushka
August 10th, 2015, 03:03 PM
I wanted to say Thank you again to everyone who replied to my post. You all helped me feel better about this. I found once positive thing about the situation. Around two years ago I used a semi permanent color by Clairol in Spiced Tea a light auburn color. Well, the redness washed out weeks later but it left my whole head a little lighter than my brown hair. After this cut I don't have anymore lighter hair towards the bottom, it's all my own brown. It will look nicer grown out all the same color. Once again, thank you for the support I really appreciated it. :)

Maybe the shift in color is what prompted the hair dresser to cut it off there? I'm just thinking out loud...

MadHouseWitch
August 10th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Sorry, I know how frustrating cuts can be! My very last trim was a home trim done by a friend and most of the time I'll hold out and suck up so that my Grandmother will do it because SHE listens, and has the training she's just retired now. I've had times where I trusted my Husband or Daughter with the scissors more than a stylist! (and my DD was as young as 10)

I know of some people who go in pairs, with a little ruler to say "see this? this is a half inch" Moral support and backup!

I am wondering if she did cut at the color line, and at least now you have one color again, but still 9 inches! is insane!

I've not stepped foot inside a supercuts since I went in once for a trim, and the lady BRAIDED it and cut it.... I was young, but my Mom was royally upset! Again, having a stylist in the family, we just didn't always want to bother her :) My Grandmother fixed it afterwards but I've not been to Supercuts since then, even if it was that ONE stylist and does not speak for all of them!

I find Great Clips is hit or miss too, sadly. That is where my last stylist trim was, and she didn't even do anything I could not have done IF I could have taken off my hair temporarily. I was mad due to that, and pretty much swore off paying for haircuts.
I'll live with the splits thanks! or let my family S&D, or make jam to bribe my Grandma!

Alun
August 11th, 2015, 06:32 PM
I stay away from stylists for much the same reason. More than once they have taken off six inches of hair when I wanted no more than an inch. I resorted to asking for a quarter of an inch trim, knowing that might result in them taking off an inch.

One thing that popped up in previous threads is to avoid using the word trim completely, apparently on the theory that it means something completely different to them than it does to ordinary mortals, maybe something like cutting it back until there are no more split ends.

Of course, none of this is much help when they have already done the evil deed.

flickm
August 11th, 2015, 11:46 PM
maybe something like cutting it back until there are no more split ends.

Given that split ends can happen further up some hairs, you might end up bald! ;(