PDA

View Full Version : WSL Updos?

melomane
August 7th, 2015, 09:23 AM
So my hair has been getting pretty thick and long after a lot of care and I've outgrown almost all of the updos I used to do (french twist, cinnabon and braided cinnabon). Does anyone know of any quick updos for WSL hair?

lapushka
August 7th, 2015, 09:51 AM
What is WSL? I suppose you mean waist length. ;)

How thick is your hair, that depends a lot on what you can and can't do at this length. With my iii hair, only a LWB (lazy wrap bun) was possible.

melomane
August 7th, 2015, 10:40 AM
What is WSL? I suppose you mean waist length. ;)

How thick is your hair, that depends a lot on what you can and can't do at this length. With my iii hair, only a LWB (lazy wrap bun) was possible.

I just measured the circumference of my ponytail and it's 4.5 inches.

meteor
August 7th, 2015, 10:58 AM
If your hair is too thick for a lazy wrap, but if you can do a simple English braid, then you can just pin it up :) : either in circular motion, which would create a braided cinnabun, or just straight upwards to create a folded braid or tuck to create a tucked braided bun. Vortex buns are also very secure and definitely doable at WSL. And if you can do a rope braid (2-strand braid), you can create rosebun! :D

WSL is also a great length to create simplified Ellingwoman braided bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_biroGTJ7A

If you can tightly twist up your hair and circle it around, you can do a simple cinnabun or a beebutt bun.

Check out this video by torrinpaige to put thick hair up in a couple very simple but beautiful updos: I highly recommend her whole channel! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvXrEOfJ4w

TrapperCreekD
August 7th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Cinnabuns and braided cinnabuns should take a really long time to outgrow unless you have crazy thick and/or super long hair.

Disk bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y5sSEBy7HQ)! Also, the Chinese bun, which is similar because it also splits the hair. I'm right around ~4" and I could do the Figure and Lazy Wrap at waist, Nautilus didn't start working until hip+. Sectioned buns are something to look into.

Nique1202
August 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM
I second the disc bun. Quick, easy, and can be done on nearly any length.

I like Torrin's tips for shorter/thicker hair but the problem I find is that it takes a lot longer with all the wrapping, and it takes a lot of pins to keep it all in. That's not really a quick style option, and the wrapped hair doesn't always look like part of the bun, it can look separate and weird sometimes.

If you can braid fairly quickly, twin braids behind your ears flopped over the top of your head like a hairband (also known as heidi braids) are easy, especially if you fasten them with something like spin pins instead of a bunch of bobby pins. I've left this style in for 3 days in a row before and it didn't even fray out my layers or start looking ragged at all. I only took it down to wash it.

lapushka
August 7th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah, with that much circ, I think maybe with a little patience you could manage a LWB. Try it. I think other buns might be a little too far out of reach. I tried at waist length as well, and a LWB was all that was do-able.

meteor
August 7th, 2015, 03:21 PM
^ That's interesting. Personally, I found that the disc bun required only about half the length that a lazy wrap would require, simply because the hair is split in 2 sections (the more sectioning, the shorter/thicker the hair can be to be bunnable). Chinese bun (suggested by TrapperCreekD) would be an excellent option too, particularly because of the splitting hair in two. LWB is probably too early at waist, but who knows, it might work, and there are multiple really good videos out there, all with little twists and changes: different techniques might work for different people. :D

But if you can French-braid, then a simple tuck (of the ends under the braid's base) with do the trick, too! ;)

Nique1202
August 7th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Yeah, with that much circ, I think maybe with a little patience you could manage a LWB. Try it. I think other buns might be a little too far out of reach. I tried at waist length as well, and a LWB was all that was do-able.

That's weird, because even with my layers thinning my hair out I'm near bcl and I still struggle with the lazy wrap not holding for very long. Maybe I just have large hands, but there aren't enough wraps around the base for it to hold, even with just one finger in the loop instead of two or more.

I guess the trick is that if one thing doesn't work for you, try not to get discouraged. It's normal for things not to work with thick hair, especially if it's slippery at all. Just try something else until you find something that does work, and try the others again later with more length. It's as easy to get discouraged with hair styles as it is with trying on clothing in a store, but at least with clothing you can try a different size. With hair, you've just gotta wait it out with something else in the mean time.

Veridical Angel
August 8th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Omg. What are you using on it?

Veridical Angel
August 8th, 2015, 10:56 AM
This is a hair do I wear. I'll see if I can find a picture. I separate the front, so my hair doesn't look pulled back like psycho. I put it in a ponytail,, and then I tie in a knot and use 6 plastic bobby pins to hold it up to my head. Then with the rest hanging down, I roll it around my hand and pull it up to the top of the knot. Then I put an alligator clip in the middle of the hole attached to the knot that's already secured to my head. I would not suggest using any metal clips, it will not only break your hair but can irritate your scalp

lapushka
August 8th, 2015, 01:47 PM
That's weird, because even with my layers thinning my hair out I'm near bcl and I still struggle with the lazy wrap not holding for very long. Maybe I just have large hands, but there aren't enough wraps around the base for it to hold, even with just one finger in the loop instead of two or more.

The loop here is very small, and so the wraps go around the base a few times at least. It holds all my waking time, which is about half a day.