PDA

View Full Version : Masking Henna Smell With Honey

Stribe
August 7th, 2015, 06:11 AM
I actually don't think the smell of hennaed hair is so bad. But every time I henna, I have to listen to my husband complaining about the way my hair smells, for three days. I have tried to add different essential oils, but it didn't do enough for the smell.
Yesterday, right after I had rinsed out my henna, I rubbed my scalp with watered down honey, then put a mix of 1/2 conditioner and 1/2 of honey on the rest of my hair. I left in on for 45 min, then rinsed it out. My hair still smells of honey, not henna. I keep sniffing at my own hair, just to enjoy that sweet smell :o.I wonder if the honey smell will wear off before I wash my hair again. I would like to wait three days before I wash it, after having hennaed.

brickworld13
August 7th, 2015, 06:17 AM
I always mix honey into the henna because it makes it easier to apply to my head. I've cut the smell of the mix with peppermint EO and lavender EO. I prefer the peppermint. It tingles a little and smells so fresh.

I like your idea, but I think my scalp would freak out over that much moisture. I'm not sure how long the smell will last. Hopefully it stays fresh and sweet for the whole time. :flower:

cheeky
August 7th, 2015, 09:46 AM
I always mix honey into the henna because it makes it easier to apply to my head. I've cut the smell of the mix with peppermint EO and lavender EO. I prefer the peppermint. It tingles a little and smells so fresh.

I like your idea, but I think my scalp would freak out over that much moisture. I'm not sure how long the smell will last. Hopefully it stays fresh and sweet for the whole time. :flower:

I will try the peppermint EO next time I henna. M partner doesn't dislike the smell but it would be a nice change of pace.

The honey/milk etc wouldn't work for me. I don't put food products in my hair, aside from herbal rinses.

brickworld13
August 7th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I will try the peppermint EO next time I henna. M partner doesn't dislike the smell but it would be a nice change of pace.

The honey/milk etc wouldn't work for me. I don't put food products in my hair, aside from herbal rinses.

Please do be careful with the peppermint. It's very very easy to get too much in the mix. I use like 3-4 drops of EO for 300g of henna.

cheeky
August 7th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Please do be careful with the peppermint. It's very very easy to get too much in the mix. I use like 3-4 drops of EO for 300g of henna.

Thank you, will do. I understand it's quite strong but the reminder doesn't hurt. I put 2-3 drops in a 12 oz bottle of grapeseed oil that I like to use on my feet right after a shower. I was surprised how far just a tiny bit went.

Madame J
August 7th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Try adding a teaspoon of powdered ginger to your mix. I really found that killed the henna smell. It doesn't really give the henna a scent of its own, just makes the whole thing smell less once you've rinsed. I like cardamom, too, but I don't keep it on hand as readily.

oxymora
August 9th, 2015, 04:22 AM
Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a good idea to try when I next henna (in a couple of weeks). I am wary of adding too much to the initial mix as I have read lots of threads and advice saying that you shouldn't add this or that (coffee/essential oils etc.) as it can give headaches. I haven't tried adding anything to mask the smell before as I don't mind it that much but this seems like a milder alternative by doing it after the henna for a shorter time. Thanks :)

brickworld13
August 9th, 2015, 05:55 PM
It took some experimenting to figure out what works for me. Everyone is different and you may have a different tolerance/sensitivity than I do.

applecinn
August 9th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Never noticed a difference using honey, but adding a teaspoon of cardamom makes my hair smell great. I add it just before application (I don't put it in as the henna is dye releasing) Doesn't affect the color at all. Cheers

oxymora
August 23rd, 2015, 04:04 AM
Update on masking the smell with honey: I put a small amount of honey-water mix onto my hair after most of the henna was rinsed out and then added the honey to my conditioner. I did about 1/3 honey, 2/3 conditioner. I left the honey-conditioner mix on for about 15 mins then rinsed out. It seems to me that the henna smell is less strong than usual now. I can still definitely smell henna on my hair but I would say it's less pungent than it usually is so that is good.

I am tempted to try the ginger or cardamom option in future, I really like ginger, so I wouldn't mind a faint smell of ginger anyway. I was on my own this weekend so it didn't matter so much but maybe one to try next time if my husband is about! ;) Thanks all!

liabobia
September 16th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Do you think this would work a few days after hennaing?

Kendrix
September 17th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Lol. This topic. I just did henna for the first time and the smell has stayed longer than cassia alone. DBF leaned in for a kiss after a date and remarked that I smelled like wood. Good thing he likes it! xD