PDA

View Full Version : Easy every day updos for BSL hair?!

ThingitHair
August 6th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Hi all! I'm a lurking member, rarely posting, :cool: but I can't find a thread about this? (Or, I have no luck searching anyway, but it might just be me being clueless... :p)

I'm growing my hair out from chin length, and have finally reached BSL! (Thinking my goal is somewhere around waist/hip - quite a bit to go!) But I need some ideas for updos, for one to keep my hair from being damaged from the back of chairs and stuff, being at this "difficult" length, and also because I need to wear it up for work. (I'm a nurse, so it needs to be all up and away, securely, no half ups.) I don't want to wear a ponytail every day, either. So I need some ideas! Right now it's mostly ponytail, French braid or a messy bun of sorts. I find it just a tad too short to stay in a LWB with a stick all day. The times I've tried it all comes undone after a few hours, even if it feels secure when I put it up. (Might be the stick, though, I only have the one - planning on buying more!)

So, any ideas on what to do, oh wise hair gurus? :pray:

Jo Ann
August 6th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Hypnotica has some excellent videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/4ypn0tica/videos ...very easy, very quick buns. I have hair a few of inches longer than yours and I have no problem getting my hair in Hypnotica's styles.

Good luck!

Nique1202
August 6th, 2015, 05:36 PM
If your hair is ii/iii (right around 3.5-4 inches circumference) then you will have trouble with lazy wrap and nautilus until probably closer to tailbone if you plan to go that long unless you have a lot of layers. Thick hair prevents a lot of the common pretty buns (lazy wrap/nautilus, infinity/figure 8, orchid, etc.) unless you do them as a half-up and then wrap and pin the rest of the hair around it which may not look as nice to you.

Things you can almost definitely do with minimal tools:

Disc bun (a one-stick bun, a long time fave of mine)
French and dutch braids (single or double)
Crown braids (just need a couple of pins or a spin pin for the tail end)
Heidi braids (twin braids flopped over your head and pinned down, I use spin pins to hold these down too so I can avoid taking down five million little bobby pins)
Peacock twist (twist your hair at the nape of your neck, clip it up with a claw clip nearer the crown)

You may be able to do a cinnabun with spin pins (make sure the spin pins catch scalp hair and don't overlap) but it depends on how unruly your hair is.

yahirwaO.o
August 6th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Nique1202 has made some great points. Crown braids are super great, hair is out of face, there is no need in using one hundred pins, it stays on really well, looks super lovely and is done in less than 5 minutes. The dutch lace braid version I think is the most eye catching and works great for slipery hair guls like me. Disc bun is the most life saver here for a lot of people, so yeah give it a try!

Nesoi
August 7th, 2015, 03:35 AM
I find a disc bun holds much better than a LWB at our length, and is simple to learn and very comfortable to wear! Also consider spin pins if you can't quite get a bun to hold with a stick all day :)

Sarahlabyrinth
August 7th, 2015, 03:39 AM
The Gibson Tuck is a lovely style for BSL hair.

lapushka
August 7th, 2015, 04:09 AM
As a iii, I could only wear a peacock bun until I was waist length. At waist a lazy wrap bun became a reality for me, but until that length - no way!

dogzdinner
August 7th, 2015, 04:12 AM
I quite like a simplified Elling Woman, esp when Im doing a long day (also a nurse!;)). Just tuck the end of the plait right in and secure it with a pin of 2 and it stays comfy all day.

Ephemia
August 7th, 2015, 05:51 AM
Torrinpaige on Youtube has a video on how to make three popular buns work on hair that's too thick or short to go into the regular version. I think it contains the nautilus, lazy wrap and cinnabun, if I remember correctly. I've also come across quite a lot of tutorials showing other variations of buns like the nautilus for thick or short hair. Hypnotica's videos are also good.

ThingitHair
August 7th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the advice, ladies! I'll look in to these other buns. There's so many things to learn! :cheer: I tried a crown braid today, started out great but I couldn't get it to look good once I got to the other half of my head, and the end was horrible. So it became a French braided side braid (the starting point of a crown braid, but I a regular side braid once I got around the back of my head.)

I think I'm getting pretty decent at braiding, now for the buns...

-Fern
August 8th, 2015, 08:53 AM
@_@ Tell me your secret for making a crown braid in 5 minutes!! I still stink at making them!:rollin: