PDA

View Full Version : Does hair thickness as a baby determine hair thickness as adult? (article)

Sweetalexandria
August 5th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Since this article is related to hair, I thought I would post it :). It is pics of adorable babies with thick hair, so cute. Do you think these babies will have thick hair as they grow older, since they have so much now? just wondered if there is a correlation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3185221/Maybe-s-hair-editory-Parents-reveal-tiny-babies-mane-attraction-moment-born.html#newcomment

DreamSheep
August 5th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Maybe!

I was apparently born with a full head of hair, and by three I had as much as I do now - but obviously, I am just one case, I have no idea about anybody else :)

mira-chan
August 5th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Not necessarily. Head size increases a lot and kids are likely gaining new follicles with it, until about 6 years old. On top of that, hormone changes during puberty can do a lot. These kids might keep the amount of hair they have now, not increasing with head size or they can double it. Really can't tell at that age. As far as I know. no study has been done to check either.

jeanniet
August 5th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I don't think that's necessarily true. The baby hair is all lost eventually, so hard to say. My younger son was pretty bald at six months old, and he has incredibly thick hair now--I have a 5" pony and his hair is much thicker than mine. He has much more hair than his brother, who had more hair as a baby. You just have to wait it out and see.

Nightshade
August 5th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Not in the case of my sister XD I was the one born with black hair an inch long all over my head, my sister was totally bald until age 2. I'm the one with average-at-best thickness, and she's the one with a ponytail as thick as a soda can.

Beastie*, my nephew, looks JUST like her, and also has no hair. I'm betting he'll grow up to have super-thick hair, too.

*No, his name is not Beastie, that's just what Crazy Auntie Nightshade calls him.

Cinnamonagouti
August 5th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Well, I was basically bald when I was born... At eight months my hair was, at the most, half an inch long, and very thin too. And now I have pretty thick hair - not super thick, but still thicker than average (4") :)

Hairkay
August 5th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Almost all the babies that I've known in the Caribbean were born with a full head of hair. I'd only heard of one born bald and that shocked the family because they'd assumed she'd be the same as others they'd known. She didn't get much hair until she was two. Thick hair and length didn't necessarily happen for everyone regardless of how much hair they'd been born with.

lilin
August 5th, 2015, 02:17 PM
Since this article is related to hair, I thought I would post it :). It is pics of adorable babies with thick hair, so cute. Do you think these babies will have thick hair as they grow older, since they have so much now? just wondered if there is a correlation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3185221/Maybe-s-hair-editory-Parents-reveal-tiny-babies-mane-attraction-moment-born.html#newcomment

Eh, I'm not sure about that.

I was born almost totally bald. I have a LOT of hair now, although my hair is still very fine in terms of individual strand thickness.

But I'm pretty sure all babies have very fine hair, so that doesn't necessarily say what it'll be like as they grow up.

Those are some impressive mops though! Pretty sure I didn't have as much hair as most of them until I was nearly 2. :D

stachelbeere
August 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM
I'm not so sure... my 5-year old niece has uber fine, delicate hair that won't grow longer than CBL (so far). I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that she sleeps on a cotton pillowcase and well, she's a kid and doesn't care. Her mom has very fine, soft i hair too.

PS: she loves it when I french braid a huge yellow paranda into her hair so she can be Rapunzel :D she also has a white Elsa paranda haha

lapushka
August 5th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I had fine, thin, wispy light blonde hair, like almost any baby, toddler. But by the time I was 6 I had a thick full head of F hair. So yeah. Depends on what age you look at, I guess.

Deborah
August 5th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I don't think you can judge anything by a baby's hair. Most bald babies I have known ended up as blondes, and had hair of varying thickness later on.

Kiiruna
August 6th, 2015, 04:12 AM
I was a bald baby. Now I have solid iii thickness hair. So... no.

Agnes Hannah
August 6th, 2015, 04:59 AM
No I don't think so, I was born with masses of jet black hair, its fine and thin now!

alexis917
August 6th, 2015, 05:05 AM
My aunt was supposedly born bald, but she now has a ton of long, thick hair (she sits on it). I wonder what exactly determines the hair you're born with, because my hair now is completely different.

AZDesertRose
August 6th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I was born with a head full of black hair and still have thick dark-brown hair (now dark auburn because henna).

My daughter, on the other hand, was born bald as a billiard cue ball, more or less stayed fairly bald until she was nearly two years old (and then it came in with a vengeance), and now her hair is thicker than mine (and straight as a pin which mine WILL NOT do).

Creagan
August 7th, 2015, 02:05 AM
I doubt this is true. I have the thickest hair out of my siblings, and I was completely bald for the first two years of my life. My youngest sister had the most hair as a baby, and hers is the thinnest.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 7th, 2015, 02:31 AM
I was bald for many months after being born, and my hair thickness developed later. I am a iii thickness. (4.25" circumference).

lapushka
August 7th, 2015, 04:16 AM
I had black hair when I was born, just enough, covering my scalp in a pixie. That fell out and turned blonde, light blonde, and darkened up again slowly as I grew up and became my color when I was a teen. My thickness sort of peaked when I was 6 and it stayed that way ever since (my hair was still growing in before that time).