PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner & water! Trick!

lapushka
August 3rd, 2015, 08:08 AM
In my case conditioner is applied *after* most water is gently squeezed out of the hair. That way conditioner sticks to the hair better. It's a good trick to know.

But... Who does that as well? :)

I've been doing this ever since I noticed that when not doing this, conditioner just runs from the hair and goes *splat* onto the sink/tub. It needs to really be able to soak in so not squeezing hair out was no longer an option.

I generally use thicker conditioners and they need something to stick onto. Runny conditioners don't usually stay that well in the hair when moisture is squeezed out either. So, it can depend!

*ReiKa*
August 3rd, 2015, 08:19 AM
I genuinely thought everyone did this and that it isn't a trick. Just like applying conditioner only from the ears down.
Been doing it all my life, even when I was very young. I think I might have learned it from hairdressers or it was just common sense to me that you squeeze the water firsy before applying conditioner.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2015, 08:23 AM
I genuinely thought everyone did this and that it isn't a trick. Just like applying conditioner only from the ears down.
Been doing it all my life, even when I was very young. I think I might have learned it from hairdressers or it was just common sense to me that you squeeze the water firsy before applying conditioner.

And still... you'd be surprised. Not everyone does this!

Arctic
August 3rd, 2015, 08:24 AM
MOst conditioner bottles suggest doing this (but who reads them, ha ha! Or any instructions or manuals! :D), or even towel drying before applying conditioner. The latter would be too much trouble, but I do squeeze (spell?) extra water out, yes.

lapushka
August 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
MOst conditioner bottles suggest doing this (but who reads them, ha ha! Or any instructions or manuals! :D), or even towel drying before applying conditioner. The latter would be too much trouble, but I do squeeze (spell?) extra water out, yes.

Truly, your conditioner bottles say this? Wow! I've never had a conditioner bottle that said this. Not the Garnier Fructis, Garnier Ultra Doux, Herbal Essences, Pantene, or other bottles I've tried have ever said this.

meteor
August 3rd, 2015, 08:32 AM
I don't really squeeze out water (only a little bit), but I don't experience conditioners running from my length :hmm: , I experience the opposite kind of problem (conditioner sticking to one area of hair and hard to spread evenly and thoroughly). :lol: I tend to use heavy, buttery conditioners/masks though.

I see that at salons, they like to towel-dry hair before applying conditioner... maybe it should provide better results, because more product will adsorb to hair surface?
Personally, I try to avoid towel-drying and wringing water out, whenever I can... but maybe it's counterproductive during the conditioning step?

Arctic
August 3rd, 2015, 08:41 AM
Truly, your conditioner bottles say this? Wow! I've never had a conditioner bottle that said this. Not the Garnier Fructis, Garnier Ultra Doux, Herbal Essences, Pantene, or other bottles I've tried have ever said this.

Sure, I've seen it printed in plenty of bottles. I don't use the brands you mentioned (though I have one mistake buy, a deep treatment from the line that is called Garnier Ultra Doux in your country, and it indeed does not have this printed). I mostly use Finnish XZ conditioners, but have seen this printed in other brands too over the years. Can't name them from the top of my hat, though.

Meteor, I don't wring either, just gently squeeze. No stretching or twisting hair.

truepeacenik
August 3rd, 2015, 08:45 AM
I also press out the water before conditioning.
If I'm soaking in the tub, I'll let the hair dry a bit, so I wash when I get in, and condition after a long soak.
I recently noticed I can drape my hair outside of the tub with ease, so that helps more.

Ephemia
August 3rd, 2015, 08:51 AM

Mine doesn't say to do that either. It also advises you to put it on your scalp, so I pretty much ignore the directions in this case. I may give this thing a try, even though my conditioner doesn't seem to run. Maybe it's only necessary to squeeze with certain types of conditioner?

LongCurlyTress
August 3rd, 2015, 08:57 AM
I do this for exactly the same reason you do Lapushka! If I don't gently squeeze out alot of the water first, the conditioner just drips down onto the shower floor! :rant:

Arctic
August 3rd, 2015, 09:12 AM
I think the way it's usually phrased is, if I translate from Finnish, "apply on clean, towel dried hair", which is basically same as squeezing out extra water. I never do the towel drying step. I have to say I'm surprised so many of you have not seen a text like that, I bet my hat it's not only a Finnish thing.

Anje
August 3rd, 2015, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I just run my hands down the length to get the excess water out. I figure that otherwise I'm thinning down my conditioner too much.

Hypnotica
August 3rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
Yep, I do that too.

However, before applying body butter to my body (I have an addiction to the Body Shop ones) I don't dry of first, I apply them to a wet body.

Nadine <3
August 3rd, 2015, 09:41 AM
I usually apply to pretty wet hair then I run a comb through it to detangle and get rid of all the sheds. Then I squeeze it out and apply another blob of conditioner.

tigress86
August 3rd, 2015, 12:42 PM
I apply conditioner to towel dry hair and run a comb through it, have been doing it like this for a few years. For me, it makes all the difference. It wasn't common knowledge for me, I think I picked this up from a "how to wash your hair" article. One of the few times mainstream hair advice/articles have been on point!

kidari
August 3rd, 2015, 01:49 PM
sometimes when I deep condition I leave my hair in a towel and allow it to dry a few minutes then apply at least 3 times more than the usual amount of conditioner into my hair and leave it in a bun with a cap and a microfiber hair turban over that for about an hour... it leaves my hair so strong and moisturized after doing this that for the next few washes I can skip a rinse out conditioner and just use leave-ins instead

chloecalls4
August 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
i do what nadine does: apply conditioner to really wet hair and detangle. and then add a little bit more (or actually a lot more). i dont squeeze out the excess (excess water or excess conditioner).