PDA

View Full Version : I own ficcare clips, but didn't know what they were: How do I wear them?!

StephanieB
October 6th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Okay.

Laugh all you want at me. Go right ahead.

I'm SO embarrassed... :o

But it seems that I own both the real Ficcares and a lot of fancy fakkares (fake ficcare knock-offs).

I never knew what they were 'till I read a bit here, today. :o

Actually, this is gonna be even MORE embarrassing to admit..... but...

I only discovered all of this because last night, I decided to get rid of all the hair toys I no longer use.

I was gonna take pix and post 'em up here in the Trader forum. And finally get rid of 'em all, and make space in my vanity drawers... :rolleyes:

See - I've collected "hair junk" in my unused vanity drawers for YEARS!

I don't use the vanity; it's merely a place for a few books and my 10 cats to sit, and the vanity chair is just where I tend to hang my undies, or a shirt, or such. :o

People have given me all manner of hair toys over 47 years. I don't know why. Until recently, I've had short hair to very short hair for decades. But I kept the nicest of the hair toys from my childhood - loathe to give those up. I still hate my mother for cutting (chopping it, really, and not too evenly either) my hair to medium-short when I was about 8 years old, for goodness sake!! LOL
I always told people - from the first day in school after Mother cut my hair (in anger) - that someday I'd have "nice long hair again" and it'd be "just as gorgeous as mine was" till the day efore Mother cut it off.
And somehow, people always gave me pretty hair toys. Even toys not appropriate for the short hair that I wore.

Teachers whispered that "crazy Mrs Kahn" had gone overboard, and that she ought not to have cut my hair, like she did, that it wasn't an appropriate punishment.

I was sent to the school counsellor for "treatment", after the First Hair Incident.

Like a school counsellor was equipped to handle seriously insane abusive parents like mine. Ha Ha. My father was physically abusive, but my mother was truly sick - she was mentally and emotionally abusive. I say "was" coz both parents are still alive - but Dad has stopped abusing, and has sought help, and has reconciled with me. Mother is Mother, always the same, never changing. Nothing's wrong with her - ti's the rest of the world. :rolleyes:
If I hadn't been raised in the '60s, when no one did much about child abuse -- I'd've been a ward of the Commonwealth of PA for most of my life. Nowadays, DYFS (in NJ) would have taken me away in a heartbeat.

Back then... Friends begged their mothers to take me to a hair dresser to make it as nice as possible. (Mother really butchered my hair - deliberately, and continued to do it for years, regularly.)

Kids who hated me felt bad for me, and tried to help me learn how to play with what was left, to help it look better.

I'll never forget the time the school's worst bully, who'd beaten me up several times, came up to me at recess one day..... and shoved a brown paper bag in my face hard enough to crack one lens of my glasses, and told me, "Here. You need these. Try to make yourself look a little less ugly, Steph." LMAO
Inside the brown lunch bag were about a dozen hair clips of various sizes and a bunch of little fancy bobby-pin-like thingies. I still have many of those hair toys.

My Aunt Shirley gave me what I now realize are Ficcares back when I lost all my hair. When she visited me in the hospital, where I was revocering from the chemical burns on my scalp, she gave them to me. She told me, at the time, that someday I'd have hair long enough to use them, so - she said - she bought me 'the best'.

This would be the same aunt who, with my Uncle Ed, her husband, gave me my first car when I first got my driver's license in 1980. I still have that, too: my now antique, about to be restored & QQed, Oldsmobile Cutlass Bougham special edition sedan. So I suspect the FIccares she gave me are the real thing. They had a booklet or leaflet that came with them, but I lost that long ago, I'm afraid.

I still have the large dark-aged-brown tooled leather barette thingie with a brown stick that goes thru it that I was given by my paternal grandmother (who stopped speaking to my mother after the first - and most dramatic - Hair Incident).

I mean it when I say I have true antique and vintage hair toys! LOL

So... Now that I know what these silly curved beaky claw clips are... HOW does one wear them, please??? :D

I may as well try 'em out, before deciding to throw - or give - them away. :p

eadwine
October 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Make a bun the way you usually do. Hold it in place. Grab ficcare, open it up, slide the non colory side over the scalp all the way under the bun to the other side, let go and there you go :)

At least that is when you have a maximas. If your braided bun sneaks itself out of it, it might be that you need to grow into it a bit more. I was just telling over on the Dutch forum how the things didn't work for me until I got me a medium, and by now I have grown into the larges as well :)

This is in any case how I use the ficcares I have :)

StephanieB
October 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Thank you. :)

Mine look pretty large... so with my 21-inch hair, I may have to wait a bit. But I'll try it tonight. Thanks.

And thank you, to Xandergrammy! :)

My hair's nowheres long enough, yet, to do what yours does.

But I got general ideas of how you use yours across a French twist. Mine is a far smaller French twist, but it IS a decent sized twist.

I wish I knew how to get something in, right along the seam edge of my French Twists... but I cannot seem to master that.

I can make a decent French Twist on my own (see my avatar).

But the moment I try to place a beak clip along the seam, to hold the twist in place tightly... it all falls apart on me, and untwists.

My Twists just don't seem to behave the same as when I pin them with cheap hair pins or Amish hair pins (when I can get those).

I think my hair has a mind of it's own. And a gremlin or something... lol

StephanieB
October 6th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I can make a decent French Twist on my own (see my avatar).

Ooops

I forgot 'till I looked at it again - I made that French Twist shown in my avatar with a cheater's form in it for extra bulk.

I had gone out to a stoosh place the night before, and put it up with a foam form, so it looked good with a cocktail dress suit.

My regular hurry-up French Twists are smaller, of course... but not to small to make a decent twist.

Euphony
October 6th, 2008, 01:58 PM
I saw a bunch of updo directions in the Articles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1) section that use Ficcares.

You can also go to Ficcare's site (http://www.ficcare.com) and I'm pretty sure they say how long each of their sizes are. I believe a large is 5" and perhaps a medium is 4.5".

eadwine
October 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
You can also go to Ficcare's site (http://www.ficcare.com) and I'm pretty sure they say how long each of their sizes are. I believe a large is 5" and perhaps a medium is 4.5".

That is correct :)

lora410
October 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
First of all let me say I am so sorry what your mother did to you :( 2nd of all you use a ficcare like any type if claw clip. it can hold French twist, peacock twist, buns etc. Just open the clip and slide it over the hair. I have a pict of a French twist with my pink one in my albums.

spidermom
October 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Go about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down your french twist from the top and slide the clip horizontally across the twist. I used to experiment with putting the Ficarre down the seam, but it rarely worked. It works very well going across, however.

By the way - OUCH! Congratulations on surviving your childhood.

StephanieB
October 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks, Lora, Spidermom! :D

I survived, and ultimately I thrived. he he he
What else best can one do besides surviving and thriving after all?! :cheese:

I'm now 47 years old (closer to the 48 mark than the almost-gone 47th) and I enjoy a good relationship with Dad, and a non-abusive relationship with Mother (prolly as good as it's ever gonna get)... coz I just don't let her abuse me any more.
Hubby's father and sister taught me how to prevent any more abuse. ;)

Maybe it's not my own ineptitude, then, that prevents me from getting a good line/grab/hold with beak clip along the French Twist seam.....
I thought it was just me, spidermom!

I'll check out the ficcare site tomorrow.

willowcandra
October 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
holy whatsits....I thought I had it bad. I am so glad you had people around who cared in their way.

I have a beak clip..I use it for log rolls or in the following.....
Make a braid and hold upwards against the scalp and clip to head, then wrap the tail round like a bun and pin ends under....like....old pic...
http://www.willowcandra.co.uk/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Image041.jpg