PDA

View Full Version : Question about scabby/crusty stuff on scalp

Darkhorse1
October 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Howdy gang--question: I clarify when I shampoo (which is every two to three days). I don't use any product on my hair, and I do suffer from SD (dandruff). Lately, I've been noticing scaley/scabs of white stuff and I am such a picker! I pick them off. I know it's dandruff, but why would this crop up now?? I didn't find any of my shampoos to be that effective, but I haven't had time to let them sit on my scalp.

Do any of you notice a change in your SD when the seasons change? I figured I'd try clarifying first, and got Suave clarifying--but it made it worse! Though, I do enjoy picking the stuff off, it's really not very good when meeting clients with dandruff on your clothing ;)

Any tips/advice? I bought a great brush for dandruff (to lift it off your scalp) and it's great, but still not taking care of the scaely sections.

Katze
October 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Don't touch it. I know it's hard - when I am thinking, or reading, or sitting still (which is a lot of the time as a university lecturer...) I touch my scalp, searching out these crusty bits to pick them off. Over time this increases them, then I get the really big, bloody SD ones if I am not careful!

My scalp does adjust a bit to seasons (worse when dry out, which is luckily rare where I live) but changes more so if I am stressed (so more head picking), out of balance, and eating poorly. I get eczema on my face and hands, too, if I am eating too much junk or if life is stressful. Could any of this be going on with you?

You say you clarify every wash - what do you mean by this? It seems like many people (me most of all!) are not entirely clear what clarifying is...do you mean you are using a special clarifying shampoo, or that you are washing with sulfates, or...?\

And what's in that Suave shampoo?

The things that have helped me most are vinegar rinses, honey, and Rhassoul (in descending order). Vinegar definitely "resets" my scalp chemistry, while honey soothes and calms the itching, and Rhassoul seemed to clean "deeply" but I was worried that it damaged my fine hair.

Things that are bad are stress, eating sugar, and touching my scalp. Brushing, "scritching", scalp massaging, or combing the scalp can all make SD/flakies/itchies worse if it is flaring up.

hth!

Katze

lora410
October 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
My fiancée gets these and they prescribed something for it. I'm not home or else I'd tell you what it is. i think it is a form of dermatitis

Leabhar
October 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
What are you using to shampoo and condition?

I have mild dandruff, and when the air gets drier, so does my scalp. I use TJ's Nourish Spa shampoo and cut it way, way down, and make sure to try and massage my scalp while I'm shampooing, and rinse really well. I condition the length and never ever get any on my scalp or hairline.

Vinegar rinses helped a bit, but I'm finding that using filtered water as a final rinse and making sure to a) clean scalp and b) get all product out and c) leave only filtered water on scalp helps keep my scalp happy.

I wash every three or so days, and if I want to stretch it out and don't mind being a little dandruffy, I massage and brush my scalp with a Body Shop wooden brush and a BBB (I oil my ends, since the sebum won't go that far). I've been experimenting with massaging my scalp dampened with filtered water to stretch out washings, but it gives me one extra day at the most, and I have to wear a hat or scarf that day!

manderly
October 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I've been dealing with this the last couple of weeks. I didn't think it could be a weather thing (being in Hawaii we don't really have weather changes...) but maybe it is since other people are complaining about this right now too.

Magicknthenight
October 6th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Howdy gang--question: I clarify when I shampoo (which is every two to three days). I don't use any product on my hair, and I do suffer from SD (dandruff). Lately, I've been noticing scaley/scabs of white stuff and I am such a picker! I pick them off. I know it's dandruff, but why would this crop up now?? I didn't find any of my shampoos to be that effective, but I haven't had time to let them sit on my scalp.

Do any of you notice a change in your SD when the seasons change? I figured I'd try clarifying first, and got Suave clarifying--but it made it worse! Though, I do enjoy picking the stuff off, it's really not very good when meeting clients with dandruff on your clothing ;)

Any tips/advice? I bought a great brush for dandruff (to lift it off your scalp) and it's great, but still not taking care of the scaely sections.

Yes i now think it changes with the seasons! I get flakes. Especially on the left side of my head. It does itch sometimes. During the past few months it was not so bad. Only got a few when i scratched. But it has suddenly become worse. I get a lot just running my hands through the left side of my head. I was using AO but lately have switched to head&shoulders and vo5 free me freesia conditioner. The head&shoulders hasn't really been helping lately!Plus its an older version and the smell is kinda strong X_X
I remember back a couple months ago when winter was ending i thought it had improved. I wonder why it changes with seasons? The last few months i could use my AO and then if i got any flakes just use something the doctor prescribed me once in a while. They didn't tell me what i had and I'm almost out. I don't wanna go through making another appointment with them(it takes months). Maybe you should use a gentle shampoo? I know i used this clarifying one and it dried out my scalp more. I wish i had advice except for try not to scratch! I know how hard it is. I had an itch on the left side of my head i wasn't scratching for weeks and then finally i did..but i over did it. Needless to say the flakes were horrible and it only made more of them. Then when i showered it stung. Maybe you could go to a dermatologist and he could prescribe something? I'm not sure if they would do that but I'm hoping since i want to make an appointment with one soon anyway. sorry i don't have much advice. i would like to know why its flaring up as well.
hope you find something that works

Darkhorse1
October 6th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Ah, I figured the picking isn't doing much good.

Sorry--clarifying shampoo--I have very greasy scalp and I work with horses/ride horses/train, so I wear a helmet a lot and get a sweaty scalp. As a result, I need a deeper cleansing shampoo or else my hair is still greasy the next day. I've chosen ones that say 'ph balanced'. Oddly enough, the best shampoo for my scalp was Biolage, but whatever is in it made me very allergic--I got very itchy skin everywhere else--but no flakes on my scalp! Go figure!

I use Herbal Essence degunkify shampoo and use Pantene daily moisturizing conditioner--but on the ends only. I think I'll try an ACV rinse tomorrow (after I ride), and see if it helps. I'm noticing the more I work out with the horses I am riding, I'm sweating more and I'm noticing more crusties. I'm wondering if it's dried sweat?? I'm pretty good about washing my hair after I ride, but I can't do that all the time or else my scalp would be really bad.

Katze--funny you should say that! My eczema has been really bad on my eyelids--I've got a guest in town and we're not getting as much sleep as we probably should be getting. Plus, we're eating more...um....non-health foods?? ;) So, I wonder if it's a blend of things.

Thanks again gang!! :)

Kittee
October 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I get this every fall, spring, and summer. Major weather changes seem to cause it in me.

Dolly
October 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM
My son (who is now 9) has had it for years. The doctor even prescribed stuff for it, which didn't work. Neither did any shampoo on the market. A few weeks ago I started him on CV Neem and Tea Tree Shampoo Bars, and his scalp is almost completely clear......go figure. He is ecstatic. He comes home after school, saying......"My head didn't itch all day!"

Iphinoe
October 6th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I had a dramatic improvement with Ktani's catnip rinse.

ktani
October 6th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Catnip should help. It is a specific for scalp irritation. It sounds to me though, that in addition to diet, your clarifying shampoo may be too harsh.

There are mild ones or just try a clear shampoo for normal hair, without too many additives. That should remove product build-up. SLES is mild and will clean your hair. I do not think that you need anything harsh. Your own oil and sweat should not be difficult for a mild shampoo to remove.

Clarifying shampoos by name, are designed to remove product buil-up. That is why they usually have things like SLS and stronger cleansers in them.

ljkforu
October 7th, 2008, 12:09 AM

Try Grandpa's brand pine tar bar soap. It has almost completely cured my son (with continued use). It has been wonderful for him because it has been so bad for years we've tried everything from the doctor. Son is allergic to SLS so tried the bar -- perfect choice.

Rain76
October 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I also have a very big problem with scalp irritation. SEVERE & chronic white flakes. I have had it for years, and nothing has helped so far. I actually have hair loss & the hair that does grow in is VERY fine & breaks VERY easily. It is cobweb thin. I have tried ACV rinses, Terressentials hair mud, EO & carrier oils left in overnight, ETC. Next up is Nizoral AD. I pray to God this works for me, because I don't know how much more I can take of this.

Darkhorse1
October 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I'm noticing just the crusty stuff is really bad. If I scratch it, it flakes. I have a few specialty shampoos I'm going to try--I just have to be patient and leave them on my scalp. That's my worst problem. :D ;) Not sure if it's sweat that is causing the scaley stuff or just it's been there and I'm noticing it more.

Catnip won't work for me...my cats will love me too much :D ;)

missy60
October 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I also get the crusty scalp thing. I have noticed it alot worse lately and I have been really sweating from hot flashes. The funny thing is I only get it on the back of my head from the ears down and I cant put my hair up myself right now. Having my hair up seems to really cool me off so the back of my head has been so sweaty. I also notice it if I try to go a few days with out washing my hair it is worse. So maybe sweat has something to do with it. I wash just sitting her scratching back there so I went and massaged some coconut oil into it to see if it would stop itching. I dont have flakes or dandruff its only in the one area its just the crusty stuff I can scratch off.

ilovelonghair
October 7th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I don't get flakes that much, but more a kind of a nasty 'layer' on my scalp which I have to take off every now and then. There is no way it just washes off, it needs to be taken off with brute force :D (is that what 'scritching' is, I see people talking about it every now and then, but what is it?).
I started using Selsun today to see if that will help. I have tried it before and sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Maybe it is seasonal, because it is not always that bad. But it is a gross thing, yuk!
Oh and indeed: no scratching, it gives me bleeding spots on my scalp.

Darkhorse1
October 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
missy and Ilovelonghair--exactly what I'm dealing with. It's like patches of crusty stuff. I used my specialty shampoo and let it sit on my scalp (it's zinc based), and it worked. Not on all the parts, but I can feel a difference. Less scaley stuff. It's not itchy at all, just really hard/crusty and large flakes fall if I pick at it. It's at the back of my head (top), and at the crown a bit. I reduced it on one side, but the right side didn't get as much zinc on it I guess?

I did a cool water rinse and my hair looks great! :)

missy60
October 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
On my scalp it is always better after washing regardless of what method I use, except for CO that doesnt really help much and I shed alot with this method. Since I hurt my shoulder I have been washing less then usual. I thought this was the cause of my scalp problems but I still wash about 2 times a week now. My hair doesnt like harsh shampoo so I use mild or diluted shampoo and that even helps my scalp.

While making this post it just occured to me mine might be dry sebum. I was just reading another thread about it. Since I only get it after 2 days of so of not washing and any method of washing makes it better.

ilovelonghair
October 9th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I just used Selsun shampoo for the nasty scalp stuff, but I can't stand the smell! It's supposed to work really well though, however sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't.
If I don't get rid of the scalp stuff every time I wash it can end up like weird plastic-like stuff after a week. Scary!

NurseMama
October 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I am wondering if the helmet is exacerbating the problem. Perhaps there is a fungal issue? Do you lysol out the helmet after each use?

I had a lot of success with monistat treating this type of SD flaking.

RetroKitten
October 9th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Are you sure that the nasty stuff on your scalp is dandruff?
Maybe it's leftover from shampoo or conditioner???

Gilly
October 10th, 2008, 01:20 AM
missy and Ilovelonghair--exactly what I'm dealing with. It's like patches of crusty stuff. It's at the back of my head (top), and at the crown a bit.

This just what I have got too, I was sitting down watching TV the othernight and it was itchy as usual, I admit I did scratch it a few times, when I looked at my shoulders I though I had been caught in a snowstorm!
I am giving the Daktarin (monistat equivalent) a go when I get my applicator as I think it has got to be a fungus as I have tried most shampoos and different methods but NOTHING seems to work for more that a week.
Something has got to get rid of it!! :rolleyes:

ilovelonghair
October 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Are you sure that the nasty stuff on your scalp is dandruff?
Maybe it's leftover from shampoo or conditioner???

Was this question directed at me or all of us? I'm sure it's not left-over shampoo or condishener because I rinse my hair really well (and I never put condishener on my scalp)

Tressie
October 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I am wondering if the helmet is exacerbating the problem. Perhaps there is a fungal issue? Do you lysol out the helmet after each use?

I had a lot of success with monistat treating this type of SD flaking.
What was the routine you used with the Monistat to help scalp crusting?

NurseMama
October 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM
What was the routine you used with the Monistat to help scalp crusting?

I diluted a whole bottle with about 4-5 ounces of water in a hair dye bottle. I applied it to just the scalp and massaged it in 3x a week the night before I would wash my hair the next morning. One bottle diluted like this would last for 2-3 weeks. I use the cheap generic 2% MN from Dollar General. This type can cause greasies which the name brand does not seem to which is the reason why I needed to wash it before leaving the house, but others who have used the name brand did not ge the greasies so they would use it for longer time periods.

My growth rate at least doubled with the MN as well. I went from 1/2 inch a month to well over an inch a month.

I use the MN for about 3 weeks (or the length of time that it takes to finish the bottle) and then I take about 3 weeks off.

It has worked better on my SD and cystic scalp acne than anything else that I have tried be it homeopathic or prescription.

Wind Dragon
October 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Ah, good old scalp crud. Lovely stuff. :gabigrin: My parents took me to a dermatologist when I was ten or eleven, when they realized I was picking myself bloody. He peered, and tested, and pronounced that I had itchy-itis and told me not to scratch. I've never been able to pin down just what causes it (I kind of suspect multiple aggravators, from diet to weather to what I actually put on my scalp,) but the only thing I know really keeps it at bay for me is vinegar rinses. Seriously diluting my shampoo helps a lot (so that I don't need a vinegar rinse every wash,) but I still have to sneak a weak ACV rinse in there now and again or the crud starts creeping back up on me.

I don't think the crud is the same as dandruff, though the ACV helps me with that, too. If it's really bad, I've also had good luck treating it like cradle cap on babies (I strongly suspect that mine's at least related, if not identical to that stuff anyway.) Massage your favorite oil liberally into the affected areas (or your whole scalp,) let sit a good long while, then wash (with diluted whatever-it-is-you-use,) gently massaging the affected areas again as you go. Repeat at each regularly-scheduled wash until it's all gone.

danacc
October 19th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Climate change is definitely one of the things that can trigger an SD outbreak for me. I notice it when I travel to a different climate, as well as seasonal changes in the weather. Like now. :(

Selsun works for me (one from the line with selenium sulfide as the active ingredient). I only medicate as a last resort, though. Right now I'm having some success with drenching/massaging the scalp with coconut oil, letting it sit, then washing every 3 days. I follow up with a diluted white vinegar rinse each time. I use aloe vera gel if I get a flare-up between washes. My scalp was happier with the Selsun, but I'm still experimenting, and I've gotten to an acceptable place with it.

MandaMom2Three
October 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Ug we deal with that here too!!! I find as long as I wash frequently it's pretty much controlled. But if I go more than 2 days...itchy city :(

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Mine isn't itchy----but I'm a horrid picker (she says as she's picking whilst reading this thread!). I'm going to mix an ACV rinse tonight and keep it in the bathroom--I just washed my hair today, so I'll do it again on Weds night and use the ACV rinse--how often do you use this? I was given a prescription shampoo, but I can't afford it.

Should we be washing more often? I read somewhere that people with SD need to wash more often. I know when I washed daily with a zinc based shampoo, it really helped, but my scalp doesn't get as dirty as it used to and I don't want to wash daily if I can avoid it.

Never thought I'd say that! I've always had greasy scalp/oily scalp that would get greasy as the day progressed. I guess age has its benefits?

Wind Dragon
October 20th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Darkhorse1, I use a weak ACV rinse (a tablespoon or so -- don't really measure -- to about three cups of water) with every wash (twice a week, and I'm usually fairly oily by wash time) when the scalp crud's active, and back off to once every couple of weeks or so when it isn't. Until I realize that I haven't kept up with it and it's been a lot longer than that, and oh-oh, there's a crusty bit again. :oops:

I'm still on the fence about whether or not the ACV is ultimately drying to my hair, but I've taken to using it between washing and conditioning just in case (so it pretty well gets rinsed right back out again, and really only serves to help rinse away any residue from my wash, rather than restoring acidity.)

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks WD---that was my concern with ACV--vinegar can be drying, so I'm leary about using it. I have a Drs apt, so I'll see what she suggests. I'm also going to look for a tea tree oil shampoo---that might work as it's a natural de-fungal.

serenitygal
October 20th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I've found the best things that I can do are a) DO NOT TOUCH! (oh, so hard for me...I, too, am a picker) and b) less frequent washings, with more shampoo. I had been COing every other day with a diluted shampoo to clarify every 2-3 months. Recently, I had a really nasty flare-up--yes, big and slightly bloody/very crusty sores all over my hair line--and I tried using a diluted shampoo every third or fourth day with conditioner to follow. HUGE difference! I still have a few flakes, but nothing major (no sores, yay), and a side benefit is that my hair looks better now than it did with the CO routine. I also stopped scritching most of the time; I know that it's helpful for some, but it seemed to exacerbate the SD for me.
Good luck!

Darkhorse1
October 20th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks--I always dilute my shampoo, but I think I'll try to get a tea tree oil shampoo and a shampoo for dry scalp. I'm wondering if the clarifying shampoo is too drying and causing it to flare. Thanks gang!

jojo
October 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I get these too, mine are like hard crusty scabs. I just wet my hair and put like a bottle of cheapo conditioner mixed with some tea tree oil on and leave for a good couple of hours, then rinse out.

The scabs go, my hair is shiny and wonderfully conditioned.

Darkhorse1
October 21st, 2008, 06:11 PM
jojo--thanks! I may try that. I got some neutrogena moisturizing shampoo--I've never had dry hair (well, the ends obviously), but it says it moisturizes without leaving residue. I'm also going to look at Shoppers (the one near me has a huge shampoo selection) and see what they have available. My hair doesn't need washing until tomorrow or Thursday, so I have some time to hunt down some products :)

Wind Dragon
October 21st, 2008, 09:42 PM
I get these too, mine are like hard crusty scabs. I just wet my hair and put like a bottle of cheapo conditioner mixed with some tea tree oil on and leave for a good couple of hours, then rinse out.

The scabs go, my hair is shiny and wonderfully conditioned.

Huh. How much tea tree oil, would you say?

Arctic_Mama
October 22nd, 2008, 01:29 AM
Ugh, I am blogging my routine right now for this very thing. It's a nightmare - I feel embarrassed to even pull my hair back in public because you can see the patches and flakes underneath my hairline. I am just SO hesitant to go to a medicated shampoo - they are godawful for my fragile, dry hair. *grumble grumble*

Darkhorse1
October 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Arctic Mama--I hear you--I'm in the same position--I have to put my hair back for work--thankgod I can wear a hat. I've just looked at Head and Shoulders, and it is now a ph balanced shampoo and they have a dry scalp one. I'm going to get that tonight and see how it works.

suicides_eve
October 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
I find (dunno if this was posted) a brown sugar scrub helps me out alot i have a patch by my widow's peak that flakes so bad.. i use my eyelash separating comb/brush to get close the the scalp and comb it out

also cutting back on sodium laural sulfates help tremendously

blue_nant
October 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks WD---that was my concern with ACV--vinegar can be drying, so I'm leary about using it. I have a Drs apt, so I'll see what she suggests. I'm also going to look for a tea tree oil shampoo---that might work as it's a natural de-fungal.

Does anyone know if the "new" Nature's Gate tea tree oil is any good, or is it all ... compromised? Their previous formula was gggreat. I know, that doesn't help. Doesn't help me either.

Huh. How much tea tree oil, would you say?

Waits eagerly for the answer. ... I have just added 3-10 drops to ... a cup of already-diluted shampoo ... okay I really haven't measured and it IS possible for some folks to feel TTO is too strong, add gradually or to your preferences. My scalp can take it straight on certain (visible) crusty spots, DH's gets worse if he does that.

BTW this thread encouraged me to scratch and ... okay, enjoy it.

But it really helps if I cut my nails short, can't scritch decent w/short nails.

Darkhorse1
October 22nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
I picked up two shampoos tonight--I think the one is Giovanis tea tree tripe something. No sodium laurel sulphates. I also got dry scalp head and shoulders. I'm going to try head and shoulders tonight, as I know it's worked for me in the past. I'm not sure the giovanis will work as it's very oil based, and with a greasy scalp/prone to greasies, it may not clean my hair, which makes it itchy.

I'll let you know the results--I don't think sulphates is my problem because when I use John Frieda's Brilliant brunette, I never got crusties. They have sulphates in that shampoo. I just found it started to dry my hair out a bit.

Hekuro
October 23rd, 2008, 07:14 AM
Wowsa, I'm really glad to hear I'm not alone in this. I thought I'd gotten my scalp issues all straightened out and then Bam! The weather shifted and my scalp is a mess again. ::sigh::

I think I'm going to give the catnip rinse a try.

I know some of the traditional systems of healing have methods for easing the adjustments with the seasons, does anyone here have any experience or advice in that regard? I'll do some hunting of my own and report back if I find anything. You'd think, living in a nearly-tropical clime, that a few degrees wouldn't make a big difference.

Good luck to everyone! I hope it all works out.

~Hekuro

venividibxtchy
October 30th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Another gal with stankho scalp on the bandwagon...

Mine doesn't seem to be affected by the seasons. It's been constant since puberty, so I suppose it's hormonal. I have allergies, and have had eczema over the years; research has suggested a link.

My scalp never, ever feels clean, or like it can 'breathe', and even a few hours after I wash, I can pick up some greasy gunk in my fingernails. Give it a day or two, and I can pick up a whole nail full. I itch it to the point that I bleed a bit in some spots.

I've tried using all-natural shampoos without cones/SLS, tea tree oil shampoos, harsher medicinal types (Head & Shoulders -- even the 'sensitive' kind makes my scalp burn), oiling my scalp with olive oil, jojoba oil, borage oil, and coconut oil, CO washings, washing more, washing less...nothing really seems to help. I've been taking some EFA supplements, so we'll see if those help, eventually.

The concept of citric acid rinses really entices me, though I'm sure I'd definitely have to condition from the ears down afterward.

Studies have shown that a great deal of these conditions are fungal/yeast or bacterial, so I really do not think that all of the oiling or scritching in the world will get rid of it, if you really do have dandruff (SD) and not just "dry scalp". If you have SD, it's greasy, thick, and persistent as Hell.

chelles2kids
October 30th, 2008, 07:11 AM
My apologies if I'm repeating someone else, I haven't read through the entire thread.

I do sometimes get the gunkies on my scalp as well and what I've observed is:
If I get any type of conditioner on my scalp, it rebels and will cause it or if I begin to get build-up.
You can have the scalp gunkies and not have dandruff. Two different things.

The *very* best thing I've found to eliminate it? Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Shampoo, applied and left to soak on my scalp while I finish my shower. It gets rid of it everytime. Something about the tea tree oil.
Maybe it will help you as well?