PDA

View Full Version : Who wears their hair up or back because it doesn't look good down right now?

Breezy
July 31st, 2015, 03:48 PM
Hairdresser was like she took a weed wacker to my hair when she over thinned it. It's about APL, the the ends are so thin. About 3" worth. She did this about 2 months ago and I haven't been able to wear it down since. Sometimes it makes me feel sick, so I reluctantly wear it up and hope by December I'll be able to wear it down. What would you do? And anybody relate to that I don't like where it's at so I'll just pull it up until it grows too? I need some cheering up, its thickened up some in 2 months. :)

teal
July 31st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Well, wearing your hair up is generally more protective than wearing it down. So, when you do get around to wearing it down, it'll be in great shape! :D

I wear my hair up 99.9% of the time. I prefer it up and away from my face (and doors, and seatbelts, and random stationary objects I pass by...)

yogagirl
July 31st, 2015, 04:24 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry! Hair dresser accidents are the worst :(

I wear my hair up a ton, often when it looks funny for some reason (waves misbehaving etc) or when it's annoying me (when I'm eating, when I get too hot, etc). There is no rhyme or reason to when I suddenly feel the need to put my hair up, so I always have multiple hair toys plus at least one claw clip with me :o

Chocowalnut
July 31st, 2015, 04:26 PM
Yes, me. I tend to not like my hair down recently and feel better with it pulled back. The texture has been bothering me and the colour.

princesscha
July 31st, 2015, 04:32 PM
I do this too because my last 3 inches are so thin but I'm so afraid to visit the hairdressers.. sometimes i worry that wearing it in braids is damaging but I'm making up for that by stretching washes and oiling the lenght. I think you should keep wearing it up to keep it nice and healthy it'll get much thicker and longer! And it's already showing improvements after only two months that's amazing:)

Breezy
July 31st, 2015, 04:49 PM
I do this too because my last 3 inches are so thin but I'm so afraid to visit the hairdressers.. sometimes i worry that wearing it in braids is damaging but I'm making up for that by stretching washes and oiling the lenght. I think you should keep wearing it up to keep it nice and healthy it'll get much thicker and longer! And it's already showing improvements after only two months that's amazing:)

thank you for your encouragement princesscha; how long is your hair?

HairPlease
July 31st, 2015, 04:49 PM
My hair is a bush if I wear it down on wash day.
The day after, it's a grease trap. My hair only looks like my avatar on Wednesdays. I could almost swear it's a Wednesday thing. So nope, it's not just you. I don't have thin ends, just wacky hair. And I look a million times more professional with it up.

Breezy
July 31st, 2015, 04:54 PM
Yes, me. I tend to not like my hair down recently and feel better with it pulled back. The texture has been bothering me and the colour.

how long is your hair Chocowalnut? What about your texture is bothering you?

Sarahlabyrinth
July 31st, 2015, 05:00 PM
My hair is a bush if I wear it down on wash day.
The day after, it's a grease trap. My hair only looks like my avatar on Wednesdays. I could almost swear it's a Wednesday thing. So nope, it's not just you. I don't have thin ends, just wacky hair. And I look a million times more professional with it up.

Haha - Wednesday hair! I know just what you mean :)

I wear my hair up all the time because my ends are thin and they get all that extra protection from damage when worn up - and also because if I wore my hair down it would just get into EVERYTHING.....

OP, at least by wearing it up you are well on the way to having protected, lovely, healthy, long hair. Even more so once you are able to trim it yourself as many of us here do. (Feye's method is often used):)

Sorry to hear that the hairdresser mangled your hair, I know how that feels too, unfortunately.

Jo Ann
July 31st, 2015, 05:09 PM
Breezy, I SO know that feeling. When I was a kid, until about 8th grade, my Dear Nana used to take me in to have my hair "thinned" because it looked so "wild." The bad part was the "thinning" always made it look worse than it did pre-thinning. I've also discovered that many hairdressers can't thin hair worth a darn. Unfortunately for me, my hair was usually too short to do anything with (I kept getting pixie cuts, too--and not by my choice...I can't tell you how much I can't stand pixie cuts on me!).

But enough about me.

Why did you have your hair thinned in the first place? Maybe what you need is moisture in your hair? In my case, I've discovered that my hair was needing moisture--and a lot of it. It helps keep it from frizzing, it's more manageable, cuts back on tangling and makes it much easier to get a comb or brush through it (which was another reason why Dear Nana kept taking me to get it thinned). More moisture might help take care of some of the damage the thinning caused on your hair.

FWIW*, my hair now is at that mid-back abyss--between BSL and WL. I'll always have the fullness/volume, but at least it doesn't look like I just stepped off my broom or stuck my finger in an electrical socket... :cool:

*For What It's Worth

Unzadi
July 31st, 2015, 05:33 PM
I've been wearing my hair in a messy bun, ponytail or braid for a while, because the last few inches are noticeably thinner when compared to the thicker, healthy hair above. Will be trimming in the near future, which will take off some length, but I'm looking forward to trying something a little different for a while. Healthy hair is what I'm after, and it does grow.

hinabelle
July 31st, 2015, 05:33 PM
I do!!! It does NOT look good right now and will only continue to look worse as I transition my hair. :(
Scraggly and damaged and an uneven hemline. I've been wearing my hair up for a while, and I promised
myself not to wear my hair fully down (I did one half-up for 1 hour a few months ago) until it's at a length
that I can consider "long".
However, I don't mind as I used to always wear my hair down because I thought I didn't look good with my
hair up. Now that I'm used to how I look, I think I always look pretty put together. :)

elvenelk
July 31st, 2015, 05:47 PM
guilty as charged... me too. It just feels too wild and messy. needs more weight.

Katis
July 31st, 2015, 05:47 PM
I wear mine up most of the time because it's easier to have it out of the way for work. I'm not loving how it looks when it's out atm. When I do have it down, it gets tangled easily.

endlessly
July 31st, 2015, 06:48 PM
About 5 years ago, I had gone into Great Clips for a simple trim and a few light layers on my ends - and shockingly, that isn't what I wound up with. Basically, I had a newbie, inexperienced, and extremely distracted stylist that ended up butchering my hair - so, I know exactly how you're feeling. Because she cut the top section (about half my hair) to my shoulders, then left the other half long - and this was actually after she tried "fixing" her mistake - I was stuck wearing half up-dos for nearly a year while it grew out. Then, I had to go back in 3 more times to have it evened out. My shortest layer, the one originally at shoulder-length, finally reached hip length this past March and only then did I have the remaining mismatched layers removed for good (my longest was a few inches shy of knee). Now, my hair is entirely one length and at tailbone, but it took 5 years to grow everything out to a point I felt comfortable with. I went through years of shame and embarrassment, doing everything I could to hide how uneven and choppy my hair looked - I became a big fan of hot rollers since big, bouncy curls hid it very well. Basically, my best advice is to just wait it out. You can always cut back to one length later on or even now if you're feeling brave enough, but it's going to take time, so best of luck!

SnottyDotty
July 31st, 2015, 06:53 PM
I currently have an absolutely awful mullet where I had to go and cut off the worst of my bleach damage. It looks so bad I can't bear to wear it down so it's constantly up. It will probably be 6 - 12 months before I can get my hair into the style I want (layered v-hemline) and about 2 more months before all of the awful mullet layers even go back into a basic ponytail. Clips and bobby pins are my friends right now.

pailin
July 31st, 2015, 11:49 PM
I have never worn my hair down that much at any length. I just have to get it out of the way- even when it is short- as soon as it reaches about chin length, I tend to start putting in barrettes to get it out of my face. And I do a lot of ponytails (although it's long enough now that I'm moving to braids and putting it up more).

JadeTigress
August 1st, 2015, 12:17 AM
I'm in that boat, too. My hair is just past shoulder, about halfway to collarbone, and that is the worst looking length on me. I look better in the awkward mullety pixie growout than I do with shoulder length hair. It's long enough to pull up in a clip, so that's what I do every single day. It'll be more bearable once it gets past APL, but my hair really doesn't look good down until it gets to BSL and beyond.

missblueeyes
August 1st, 2015, 02:56 AM
*raises hand*
While everyone around me doesn't think the same way I do, I'm reluctant of wearing it down because I hate the colour of my bleached ends right now. It's a thing that changes depending on the mood but right now I can't stand them. I'm at waist+ and my demarcation line is around ear level. When I pull my hair back or when I just braid it, I'm far more comfortable because I don't have to look at it or detangle the mess later.

Kiiruna
August 1st, 2015, 03:46 AM
Me! My hair is cbl+, layered, awkwardly wurly at the ends and straight at the roots (growing out perm curls), damaged all the time (I find a couple of white dots or splits every day) - so I keep my hair up because I feel angry, sad, desperate and ugly every time I look at it.

Chocowalnut
August 1st, 2015, 04:18 AM
how long is your hair Chocowalnut? What about your texture is bothering you?

It's a few inches from BSL, not that long yet. That might be part of the reason, it's not short or long, just in between. I don't like how it seems to be flat and lacks shape, I guess. Don't know how to put it really. I want hair that is long and has shape and looks healthy and bouncy, but recently it hasn't seemed this way to me.

Wosie
August 1st, 2015, 04:59 AM
I also don't like how my hair looks right now. I have to use shampoos every three days to keep itchiness at bay, and it's making my hair drier and frizzier... Plus that I'd love to get rid of ~three inches worth of ends that look 'separated' from the rest of the hair (unevenness) due to me growing out a pixie from 2012... x_x

Lady Katherine
August 1st, 2015, 08:06 AM
That's where I'm at right now! The last four inches or so of my ends are pretty thin looking. I'm planning on growing till the end of the year, then I'll start regular trims next year. The thinner ends are easier to tuck under buns, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Breezy
August 1st, 2015, 04:21 PM
I currently have an absolutely awful mullet where I had to go and cut off the worst of my bleach damage. It looks so bad I can't bear to wear it down so it's constantly up. It will probably be 6 - 12 months before I can get my hair into the style I want (layered v-hemline) and about 2 more months before all of the awful mullet layers even go back into a basic ponytail. Clips and bobby pins are my friends right now.

I'm feeling ya SnottyDotty, I'll be wearing mine up for 6 months, and hoping by December it will be a length that I could micro trim the ends and wear it down again. I remember when I just used to have a "bad hair day" once in awhile, THIS is one constant bad hair day. It's hard to feel pretty with my hair like this.

pixldust
August 2nd, 2015, 05:17 AM
*raises hand* can I join? I never wear my hair down at the moment, because I have a chemically damaged section at the ends that not only looks rubbish compared to the rest of my hair but also tangles like absolute buggery when it isn't contained in some way. I can't bring myself to lop it all off as I'm sooo close to my initial goal, so I think maintaining for a while once I reach waist is the plan. Once that damage has been trimmed away I'll probably wear my hair down sometimes for a change.

Saproxylic
August 2nd, 2015, 01:12 PM
I wear mine up because I have to contain my outgrown fringe, and just pinning it to the side does not cut it most days. it has to be incorporated somehow!

Johannah
August 2nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
Oh yup, me. I'm growing out a big part of my bangs and it's has an awkward length right now. Not to mention it's in my face all the time.

Seeshami
August 2nd, 2015, 02:03 PM
I wear my hair up because his majesty would destroy the world if he is not sequestered.

The naughty mess says, "I will push the button!!!! Some day i will escape this captivity!!!!"

Vorvayne
August 2nd, 2015, 04:24 PM
My hair has these sortof big, unruly curls that look...odd...when it's shorter than somewhere between APL and BSL (and gravity calms it a little bit).

Right now it's at shoulder, and side pieces keep falling out of twists and ponytails, but it's *nearly* there and I'm probably just going to wear it up pretty much all the time till nearly BSL. At which point I'll start braiding it. Really, I only leave it down if I can't find a hair-putting-up-thing or am feeling exceptionally lazy and not leaving the house that day.

So I suppose it's partially a I-look-silly-with-my-hair-down-right-now thing, and partially a I-love-my-hair-but-I-like-having-it-up-in-a-practical-style thing.